News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Professortango1

By the way, I put my money where my mouth is. I stopped visiting DCA once they got rid of my 3 favorite attractions: Soarin' over California, TOT, & Aladdin Show.

It sucks because I LOVE DCA and it was going in a great direction up until 2015. The last cool addition was the conversion of Condor Flats to Grizzly Peak Airfield. I thought Condor Flats was horrible and the worst land in DCA.

You speak truth. I know I haven't returned since losing Aladdin and TOT, and this new mutilated Pier makes me even less likely to return. DCA had such hope and promise, and then they've begun to smear mud all over it.

mickEblu

The budget for this area is, as you might glean from the concept art, minimal to an embarrassing degree. Meanwhile, Toy Story Land at WDW sucks up $200 million+, proving that money can't buy everything.

I haven't spoken to a single person in WDI who doesn't hate Pixar Pier. They're embarrassed by it, and they should be.

When did the creatives just become slaves of marketing and the suits? Shouldn’t they you know, be involved in the CREATIVE process?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I believe this might have been said in this thread before by someone else, but the recent pictures got me thinking about it again.

Was part of this managements attempt to put a TSL into DLR without really committing to a full TSL? I mean look at some of the new concept art we just got for stuff around TSMM, it looks like stuff you'd find in a kids backyard. Sound familiar?

Oh well, other than the Incredicoaster the rest of it doesn't appeal to me, but as others have said it wasn't a well executed area anyways.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I believe this might have been said in this thread before by someone else, but the recent pictures got me thinking about it again.

Was part of this managements attempt to put a TSL into DLR without really committing to a full TSL? I mean look at some of the new concept art we just got for stuff around TSMM, it looks like stuff you'd find in a kids backyard. Sound familiar?

Oh well, other than the Incredicoaster the rest of it doesn't appeal to me, but as others have said it wasn't a well executed area anyways.
I wouldn't be surprised if PP was considered for a TSL-revamp, but when they ran into the problem of bumping up against the lake, they probably just thought, aw screw it, we'll just throw in more Pixar IP and it'll be a great area!

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I believe someone else mentioned this already, but it bears repeating...

The Incredibles is one of Pixar's best films (top 3 for me). It also came out in 2004.
That means that WDI has had 14 YEARS to come up with a great attraction for the property...

And now, finally, we get the results of their genius...a re-skin of California Screamin'?????

Go home Disney, you're drunk.

shortstop

By the way, I put my money where my mouth is. I stopped visiting DCA once they got rid of my 3 favorite attractions: Soarin' over California, TOT, & Aladdin Show.

It sucks because I LOVE DCA and it was going in a great direction up until 2015. The last cool addition was the conversion of Condor Flats to Grizzly Peak Airfield. I thought Condor Flats was horrible and the worst land in DCA.
Agreed, it’s really a bummer that they had finally brought DCA to such a high level and are now taking such large steps backwards.

I like and respect you, btw!

shortstop

I believe someone else mentioned this already, but it bears repeating...

The Incredibles is one of Pixar's best films (top 3 for me). It also came out in 2004.
That means that WDI has had 14 YEARS to come up with a great attraction for the property...

And now, finally, we get the results of their genius...a re-skin of California Screamin'?????

Go home Disney, you're drunk.
I hesitate to pin the blame on WDI. They haven’t been given much to work with.

Professortango1

I wouldn't be surprised if PP was considered for a TSL-revamp, but when they ran into the problem of bumping up against the lake, they probably just thought, aw screw it, we'll just throw in more Pixar IP and it'll be a great area!

A Toy Story Pier would have worked well. Add a large backyard fence behind Screamin, change Screamin' to look like Kinects, blocks, hot wheels tracks, and other large toys. Move Jumpin Jellyfish into the Helix for an Army Man Parachute Drop, add some tall grass, some AA toys around, and have fun with it. It wouldn't be my choice, but I would enjoy exploring Andy's toy version of a pierside amusement park.

Phroobar

It's amazing this Toy Story land idea is even a thing with Disney. Was the original Toy Story Land in WDS really that popular that it needs to be included in every park in the world? Do we have the major success of A Bugs Land to blame for this?

Ismael Flores

Totally agree. Given a choice between these two lands.... Yeah, I'll be at Knott's riding Hang Time.

i agree that parts of Pixar Pier look tacky like the happy meal box and churro stand. They really should have kept the charm of the old pier and then just added the Pixar characters as elements to the structures. There really was no reason to re-theme the turkey leg stand and churro cart to something so cartoonish. They could have kept the old look change the name and added the characters as decorative features.
I'm actually ok with the change of the carousel i just wish they hadn't added the giant Sally but i guess it goes with the giant Mr. potato head a few yards down.

with that said I also don't agree that hang time is any better except for its possible thrill factor that whole area of Knott's Berry farm lacks any kind of charm. A huge coaster plopped on patches of concrete and grass and a couple of trees with large open spaces of nothing.
Pre-fabbed buildings and tarp for loading area.
For a coaster themed to water not even a water feature was added. what they should have done is build the coaster across the way where the large concrete pools of water are.

I can't believe they even put those to silly swing rides in that large piece of property in the middle of a concrete pad surrounded by water last year. That whole area looks aweful, such a waste of space.

Rich T

I also don't agree that hang time is any better except for its possible thrill factor that whole area of Knott's Berry farm lacks any kind of charm. A huge coaster plopped on patches of concrete and grass and a couple of trees with large open spaces of nothing.
Pre-fabbed buildings and tarp for loading area.
For a coaster themed to water not even a water feature was added. what they should have done is build the coaster across the way where the large concrete pools of water are.

I can't believe they even put those to silly swing rides in that large piece of property in the middle of a concrete pad surrounded by water last year. That whole area looks aweful, such a waste of space.
It's a fun new coaster of a type I've never experienced before. I'd rather visit that (and all that still remains of classic Knott's) than go to Pixar Pier. I'm not kidding: Pixar Pier makes me want to vomit. It is actually turning me off to Disney like no other project in the company's history... at least since Videopolis. It respresents EVERYTHING negative (the greed, the cluelessness, the treating their fanbase like an obedient army of moron followers who can't tell a dead crab from Whizzo Butter) that one can say about DLR these days.

shortstop

I don't know who else to blame. Iger? He's already in the permanent sin-bin for just about everything.
9C92F388-3F26-498A-97FC-4E419FFB2295.jpeg

Rich T

A Toy Story Pier would have worked well. Add a large backyard fence behind Screamin, change Screamin' to look like Kinects, blocks, hot wheels tracks, and other large toys. Move Jumpin Jellyfish into the Helix for an Army Man Parachute Drop, add some tall grass, some AA toys around, and have fun with it. It wouldn't be my choice, but I would enjoy exploring Andy's toy version of a pierside amusement park.
No, can't get behind this. It would look gross. I don't wanna spend any time stuck in one fictional kid's imagination, let alone have it dominate the view of that entire side of DCA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom