News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

TROR

How is there not convention space at EPCOT? How do they not host their own TEDx event for guests to observe and feel a part of? How do they not have a celebration of the Nobel Prize winners each year? Or a second stop for Las Vegas' CES conference? Host summer college courses and collaborative projects between a variety of universities? They don't do anything.
It's ok because Peter Quill went there as a kid

D

Deleted member 107043

In the tomorrowland examples though, I value the fact that these sponsorships enabled an expansion of content toward edutainment and scientific realism. In the absence of corporate sponsorships, everything is IP. Is there still a market for branded edutainment? We don't know because it is never done well. But I think if Elon Musk and Apple (the apple of 6 years ago) had attractions that were exciting in show buildings and retail spaces sexy enough, it could work. I am not ignorant to the fact though that it is a more limited market than IP, but an angle that desperately brings some variety and delivers on some of the ingredients to Walt's Disneyland.

Agreed. Tomorrowland, even with its faults, certainly did a better job of pretending to be about the future when big corporate names partnered with Disney to drive content. Even with sponsors Disney's vision of the future, EPCOT included, mostly consisted of theme park theatrics, and now they've basically stopped trying.

D

Deleted member 107043

How is there not convention space at EPCOT? How do they not host their own TEDx event for guests to observe and feel a part of? How do they not have a celebration of the Nobel Prize winners each year? Or a second stop for Las Vegas' CES conference? Host summer college courses and collaborative projects between a variety of universities? They don't do anything.

Because the people who inherited the Disney Company built another Disney theme park, not an experimental community of the future. And that all happened pre Iger or Eisner.

Californian Elitist

Well chew on this... the Disney company was 32 years old when they started selling it as a brand in the form of Disneyland in 1955. Want to take a guess how old Pixar is? (They were founded in 1986.) Only offering this up as a random observation, not trying to prove anything with it. Interesting factoid though...

Nice observation. Haha.

nevol

Because the people who inherited the Disney Company built another Disney theme park, not an experimental community of the future. And that all happened pre Iger or Eisner.
Everything I just mentioned is more along the lines of a theme park or convention center than a community. This is them not even delivering on the epcot that actually came into fruition.

D

Deleted member 107043

Everything I just mentioned is more along the lines of a theme park or convention center than a community. This is them not even delivering on the epcot that actually came into fruition.

Hosting TEDx events, celebrating Nobel Prize winners, the CES conference, offering summer college courses and collaborative projects between universities is not what Disney theme parks do. I agree that EPCOT Center had ambitious goals, and that it has regressed considerably since opening, but I disagree that it was intended to be a park that focused on the type of programming you outlined.

smile

Hosting TEDx events, celebrating Nobel Prize winners, the CES conference, offering summer college courses and collaborative projects between universities is not what Disney theme parks do. I agree that EPCOT Center had ambitious goals, and that it has regressed considerably since opening, but I disagree that it was intended to be a park that focused on the type of programming you outlined.

tedx, ces, and nobel could have easily fallen right in line with the dedication had the park not fundamentally changed direction little more than a decade in...
hosting courses and collaborative projects may be a little pie in the sky, but who knows what could have evolved and how it could have been a catalyst for true innovation, ultimately realizing walt's vision in perhaps not the exact way he intended.

To all who come to this place of joy, hope and friendship, welcome.
Epcot Center is inspired by Walt Disney's goals. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, the wonders of enterprise, and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all.
May Epcot Center entertain, inform and inspire. And, above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere.

rather moot now, however

nevol

TWDC cares about money. TED over the past decade has popped up in every city. Is it a fad, or here to stay? It has been a successful idea nonetheless that has reached just about everybody. There is one main event every year and a bunch of conferences hosted on a smaller scale. Those are the x events. Disney could easily throw together a TEDx Epcot and fill theaters and event space throughout the park with that content once a year. It would be a massive success with very little planning, as the event format and audience already exists.

D

Deleted member 107043

tedx, ces, and nobel could have easily fallen right in line with the dedication had the park not fundamentally changed direction little more than a decade in...
hosting courses and collaborative projects may be a little pie in the sky, but who knows what could have evolved and how it could have been a catalyst for true innovation, ultimately realizing walt's vision in perhaps not the exact way he intended.

I followed EPCOT Center closely growing up. I was so fascinated by it I made a special trip to WDW to be there on opening day in 1982, and at the time it was probably the most monumental thing Disney had done in the advancement of theme parks since Disneyland. While it was an appropriate nod to the spirit of Walt Disney's last dream, it was still WDW business as usual in terms of who its target audience was on opening day: tourist families from the midwest, southeast, and northeast. Certainly not the type of people who would be interested in Tedx.

Feel-good showmanship has always been where Disney theme parks excel. IMO no Disney park has never been as good at driving serious intellectual discussion around real life issues.

No Name

what have the m:b ratings taught us?

That if you build a quality ride people will respond well.

Mission Breakout is a solid ride on its own and gets deservedly high ratings on its own. Shoehorning a linear narrrative into an unrelated boardwalk coaster doesn't make a solid ride even on its own, nevermind in regard to the park. There's a huge difference between this and Mission Breakout. I'll have to find out what California Screamin's ratings were before to compare.

smile

I followed EPCOT Center closely growing up. I was so fascinated by it I made a special trip to WDW to be there on opening day in 1982, and at the time it was probably the most monumental thing Disney had done in the advancement of theme parks since Disneyland. While it was an appropriate nod to the spirit of Walt Disney's last dream, it was still WDW business as usual in terms of who its target audience was on opening day: tourist families from the midwest, southeast, and northeast. Certainly not the type of people who would be interested in Tedx.

Feel-good showmanship has always been where Disney theme parks excel. IMO no Disney park has never been as good at driving serious intellectual discussion around real life issues.

i posit ec was not business as usual, for a myriad of reasons; one of which being the great lengths to distance itself from it's sibling up the road...
exposing the general populace to things that aim to do more than simply entertain, as castle parks do; but to educate as well, in service of celebrating and enriching the human experience.

i mean, you're also talking about many seasoned artists/designers/engineers (many geniuses in their own right) who wanted put the mouse down and take their expertise towards something fundamentally grander

fw looked at communication, energy, transportation, technology, our earth, our seas, and the importance of our imaginations as a tool to help make sense of it all - every one of those real life considerations today and will remain so -
the wc was tacked on, but even it's goal was exposing those very tourists to new cultures - walt was very inspired when traveling aboard.

and yes, e.p.c.o.t. didn't come to pass, but how could it? walt had consistently been doing things others thought were downright foolish, but he made them succeed -
he goes and everybody looked at each other, shrugged shoulders/got cold feet, and proceeded to follow the idea the way they knew how; they attempted to, after having already largely invented the 'theme park', re-invent it yet again

and in more than a few minds, they had

D

Deleted member 107043

fw looked at communication, energy, transportation, technology, our earth, our seas, and the importance of our imaginations as a tool to help make sense of it all - every one of those real life considerations today and will remain so -
the wc was tacked on, but even it's goal was exposing those very tourists to new cultures - walt was very inspired when traveling aboard.

Very little of that was unique to EPCOT Center though. Broadly speaking the park elaborated on themes that had already been touched on in DL and the MK.

I'm not trying to dimish the role the park played in advancing the scope of what theme parks could do, but EPCOT has always been a Disney-fied worlds fair, a place of entertainment, not a venue for meaningful discussion about solving issues.

smile

Very little of that was unique to EPCOT Center though. Broadly speaking the park elaborated on themes that had already been touched on in DL and the MK.

I'm not trying to dimish the role the park played in advancing the scope of what theme parks could do, but EPCOT has always been a Disney-fied worlds fair, a place of entertainment, not a venue for meaningful discussion about solving issues.

don't see how a place designed for cutting-edge science and tech couldn't/wouldn't have been valid space for actual cutting-edge science and tech -
there were more than a few things at ec that leaned towards education rather than entertainment, and to think that if it had stayed course and remained relevant new things like ted could be integrated is not unreasonable.

perhaps a theater or pavilion dedicated to contemporary advances which could showcase such things... cutting-edge whatever is always interesting

abandoning sci, ed, and even tech, really, is what started the slow disintegration to the eventual pile of ash that it is nearing without help

TROR

And how do we know what people really think of it? Because Disney says it's highly rated? What are they going to say, that everyone hates it or prefers TOT to it?
Disney is a company that acknowledges its own failures. Once the CEO becomes someone who had nothing to do with said failures, that is.

D

Deleted member 107043

abandoning sci, ed, and even tech, really, is what started the slow disintegration to the eventual pile of ash that it is nearing without help

They abandoned those things because tourists visiting theme parks in Central Florida don't care about them. I wish they did, bit the 90+ minute waits for Frozen After Ever prove otherwise.

TP2000

You COULD argue Coca Cola and Frito Lay for Country Bear Jamboree as there was a line about it at the beginning of the show as well as Fed Ex for Space Mountain in the 90's but for the most part yeah.

It wasn't Coke, it was Pepsi-Cola in the Country Bear Jamboree. That's why Henry the MC used to say "You've got a lot to live and the Country Bears have a lot to give!" at the start of the show, which was an intentional play to the Pepsi jingle of the early 1970's.

Pepsi was served on the west side of the park with the Country Bears and the Golden Horseshoe, and Coke was served on the east side of the park with Refreshment Corner and Tomorrowland Terrace. I have a relative who still calls the Golden Horseshoe building "the Pepsi show", it was that ingrained into her memory banks decades ago. The sponsorship at Disneyland and WDW could be really, really heavy handed back in the 20th century. I think modern 21st century audiences would be shocked by it if it ever returned like Walt did it.

KSPBK_4_77_N20B2.jpg

When you crop the picture like so, Chapek looks like a tiny man on a table.

View attachment 266237

Why they heck would they use that lower level view? There's a horrible sideways and nearly unwatchable view of World of Color from down there. This artwork was done by someone who has never actually been to DCA and has no idea where to watch World of Color from.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom