News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

TROR

Maybe Tom Staggs is secretly in control of Disneyland. How else do you explain the little touch up projects like Main Street brickwork, Adventureland shops being removed, and a non-IP restaurant coming soon?

nevol

Disney not trying at all outside of star wars land when universal is working its butt off. Beijing, a new park in Japan, new parks in orlando, nintendo, more potter, more jurassic, dreamworks stuff. Not good!

Insert 20 pages about screens versus practical sets and all that Disney is up to outside of the short term pixar mutilations.

DanielBB8

Have we ruled out the possibility that he's not aware there is more than one park at the DLR?
So Disneyland should get Pixarland too? Call it Buzz’ Tomorrowland. Anything better to fix Tomorrowland. I can foresee a Buzz Lightyear ride replacement for Star Tours. Or you’re not aware you’re joking.

dweezil78

Disney not trying at all outside of star wars land when universal is working its butt off. Beijing, a new park in Japan, new parks in orlando, nintendo, more potter, more jurassic, dreamworks stuff. Not good!

Insert 20 pages about screens versus practical sets and all that Disney is up to outside of the short term pixar mutilations.

You can't always be in hardcore growth mode 100% of the time. It ebbs and flows between building and planning. To be fair, doing two Star Wars lands simultaneously is no small thing. Don't forget about all the infrastructure change/planning that comes with that on both coasts with new roads, parking, etc. This is coming off the heels of some pretty big, ambitious (and well received) projects like Shanghai and Pandora / DAK additions.

That's without saying anything about all the other things in motion like another new e-ticket at DHS, new resorts, new transportation systems, etc. -- or all the other things a bit more further out like changes at Epcot, HK, Tokyo, etc.

They're not all going to be grand slams or 100% loved, but Universal doesn't hit them all out of the park either. (Looking at you Jimmy Fallon!) I hope Nintendo is great, but Universal's insistence on being so one note lately makes me a little worried.

Curious Constance

This whole project is just really aggravating. You'd think as imagineers, they'd cook up something thats both immersive but still works within what was given to them by the big wigs. Its like they got the idea of pixar pier and thought "ok how can we execute this in the absolute worst way possible?"

1519416302711.png

dweezil78

This whole project is just really aggravating. You'd think as imagineers, they'd cook up something thats both immersive but still works within what was given to them by the big wigs. Its like they got the idea of pixar pier and thought "ok how can we execute this in the absolute worst way possible?"

Look at it this way. At Epcot you can bring in a sponsor like Siemens to put $$$ into Spaceship Earth and fund some much needed refurbs/upgrades. As a result, they get their name all over the place and have WDI re-write the show to reflect their company's message. What does Siemens even do? Does the average guest have any idea or care? No, literally no one has any kind of connection to a company like Siemens except for the people who work for them. Is the new show better? No, not really... but it's certainly in better shape than it was in 2006 when it reopens.

Paradise Pier, like Spaceship Earth, was in need of some much needed TLC and upgrades. Instead of a corporate sponsor, Disney justifies the project cost of this metaphorical new coat of paint by essentially making Pixar the sponsor and using the area to help promote its properties. That's really all this is.

shortstop

Look at it this way. At Epcot you can bring in a sponsor like Siemens to put $$$ into Spaceship Earth and fund some much needed refurbs/upgrades. As a result, they get their name all over the place and have WDI re-write the show to reflect their company's message. What does Siemens even do? Does the average guest have any idea or care? No, literally no one has any kind of connection to a company like Siemens except for the people who work for them. Is the new show better? No, not really... but it's certainly in better shape than it was in 2006 when it reopens.

Paradise Pier, like Spaceship Earth, was in need of some much needed TLC and upgrades. Instead of a corporate sponsor, Disney justifies the project cost of this metaphorical new coat of paint by essentially making Pixar the sponsor and using the area to help promote its properties. That's really all this is.
107034E7-AA39-44F1-8C15-67A598EF1338.png

D

Deleted member 107043

I completely agree with you that in a certain sense Disney IP has replaced external corporate sponsorship as sort of a guarantee to mitigate financial risk. Looking at it that way Pixar Pier is basically Paradise Pier presented by Pixar Animation Studios. My guess is that the percentage of regular posters here who were around when Disneyland and WDW were awash with corporate sponsorship is relatively low. I bet younger fans would be shocked by how much corporate advertising there was in the parks back in the day.

shortstop

I completely agree with you that in a certain sense Disney IP has replaced external corporate sponsorship as sort of a guarantee to mitigate financial risk. Looking at it that way Pixar Pier is basically Paradise Pier presented by Pixar Animation Studios. My guess is that the percentage of regular posters here who were around when Disneyland and WDW were awash with corporate sponsorship is relatively low. I bet younger fans would be shocked by how much corporate advertising there was in the parks back in the day.
In my opinion they’re still way different. Other than arguably Carousel of Progress I can’t really think of any examples where the content of an attraction was dictated by a sponsor. SSE was never “Siemens Adventure” (hold your jokes everyone). In fact, aside from the ride marquee and a couple other small details, one never really stopped to think about Siemens when riding. On the other hand there’s no avoiding PIXAR when you go to PIXAR PIER. Sponsors were used to mitigate the cost of building/updating/maintaining an attraction, not to bash you over the head with an IP.

TROR

In my opinion they’re still way different. Other than arguably Carousel of Progress I can’t really think of any examples where the content of an attraction was dictated by a sponsor. SSE was never “Siemens Adventure” (hold your jokes everyone). In fact, aside from the ride marquee and a couple other small details, one never really stopped to think about Siemens when riding. On the other hand there’s no avoiding PIXAR when you go to PIXAR PIER. Sponsors were used to mitigate the cost of building/updating/maintaining an attraction, not to bash you over the head with an IP.
You COULD argue Coca Cola and Frito Lay for Country Bear Jamboree as there was a line about it at the beginning of the show as well as Fed Ex for Space Mountain in the 90's but for the most part yeah.

shortstop

You COULD argue Coca Cola and Frito Lay for Country Bear Jamboree as there was a line about it at the beginning of the show as well as Fed Ex for Space Mountain in the 90's but for the most part yeah.
Yeah true, figured there were some other examples. You could make the argument for Test Track too. But point still stands I think

D

Deleted member 107043

In my opinion they’re still way different. Other than arguably Carousel of Progress

All those spinning tires on the Peoplemover were provided by Goodyear, the attraction's sponsor. Monsanto's House of The Future was largely designed around building materials produced by the company. The content of the pre and post shows of America the Beautiful, sponsored by AT&T, showcased the company's services and products. Other tie-ins like TWA's Rocket to The Moon, The Coca Cola Tomorrowland Terrace, The Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad, Carnation Plaza Gardens, and The Aunt Jemima Pancake House conveniently had their brands integrated into the name of the attraction or venue. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

shortstop

All those spinning tires on the Peoplemover were provided by Goodyear, the attraction's sponsor. Monsanto's House of The Future was largely designed around building materials produced by the company. The content of the pre and post shows of America the Beautiful, sponsored by AT&T, showcased the company's services and products. Other tie-ins like TWA's Rocket to The Moon, The Coca Cola Tomorrowland Terrace, The Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad, Carnation Plaza Gardens, and The Aunt Jemima Pancake House conveniently had their brands integrated their into the name of the attraction or venue. :confused:
You’re right, but personally I tend to view those more as product placement than branded experiences. Although maybe I’m just biased because I love Aunt Jemima (best maple syrup, don’t @ me).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom