News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Disney Irish

Premium Member
All those spinning tires on the Peoplemover were provided by Goodyear, the attraction's sponsor. Monsanto's House of The Future was largely designed around building materials produced by the company. The content of the pre and post shows of America the Beautiful, sponsored by AT&T, showcased the company's services and products. Other tie-ins like TWA's Rocket to The Moon, The Coca Cola Tomorrowland Terrace, The Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad, Carnation Plaza Gardens, and The Aunt Jemima Pancake House conveniently had their brands integrated their into the name of the attraction or venue. :confused:

And let us not forget that the beloved Adventure Thru Inner Space was also sponsored by Monsanto. And was placed on top of the Hall of Chemistry exhibit, also sponsored by Monsanto.

Curious Constance

I could literally sustain for weeks on nothing but the Disney photoshop you guys do around here.

And if you're ever bored and need a laugh, just google Bob Chapek images. PRICELESS.

DanielBB8

You’re right, but personally I tend to view those more as product placement than branded experiences. Although maybe I’m just biased because I love Aunt Jemima (best maple syrup, don’t @ me).
That’s more apples to apples comparison. The product is right next the branded names. There’s no mistake. So are we now saying a branded experience would be The Twilight Zone with Rod Sterling, TZ logos, and easily recognized graphic art. How fun except Disney is not getting paid for it thus thus the conversion to Guardians.

shortstop

That’s more apples to apples comparison. The product is right next the branded names. There’s no mistake. So are we now saying a branded experience would be The Twilight Zone then with Rod Sterling, TZ logos, and easily recognized graphic art.
No, because TZ works as a theme, Pixar (still) doesn’t (and never will).

dweezil78

In my opinion they’re still way different. Other than arguably Carousel of Progress I can’t really think of any examples where the content of an attraction was dictated by a sponsor. SSE was never “Siemens Adventure” (hold your jokes everyone). In fact, aside from the ride marquee and a couple other small details, one never really stopped to think about Siemens when riding. On the other hand there’s no avoiding PIXAR when you go to PIXAR PIER. Sponsors were used to mitigate the cost of building/updating/maintaining an attraction, not to bash you over the head with an IP.

True, but corporate sponsors did have a say in the development of their attractions and paid a hefty pricetag to do so and many were featured far more obviously than I think you are remembering. The difference here is, despite many here who dislike the move, there are crazy amounts of visitors to DLR who do have an affinity for Pixar, its films, and its characters. They are not a corporate sponsor, you wouldn't just slap 'Sponsored by Pixar' and call it a day. I'm looking at it more from the dollars and sense side and how the company goes about funding these projects.

If you're with P&R and want to get a pier upgrade off the ground which you currently have no funding for, you could a) have a lame sponsor come in and lay down the $$$ which is a hard sell for something like a pier or b) look within for the cash. It's easy to see why they'd go with option b.

At the end of this, the bones of Paradise Pier are still totally in tact. The coaster is a coaster, the bar is a bar, the carousel is a carousel. It will have Pixar all over it, but it's going to look shiny and new too. It's a justifiable tradeoff IMO if you're looking at it thru the eyes of the team who just wants their pier to look as good as the rest of the park.

DanielBB8

No, because TZ works as a theme, Pixar (still) doesn’t (and never will).
TZ is a brand and the theme was totally invented by Disney as a tower ride. Please cite the episode it’s based on. None. They are making their effort with Pixar Pier, but again, it’s just a seaside carnival so Disney isn’t working with much and the bones don’t allow much improvement.

dweezil78

not-this-again.jpg

No Name

The difference is, The Twilight Zone was chosen for creative reasons because the imagineers thought it would make the ride fit the park better and be better overall. You are explicitly experiencing a lost episode of a classic tv show. Rod Serling shows you that your elevator is going to fall, invites you to board an elevator that will fall, narrates the story of you in the elevator that's about to fall, and then your elevator falls. It would be the stupidest ride if it didn't work so damn well.

Pixar is not being used for creative reasons. We'll see how the Incredicoaster's ratings fare.

nevol

All those spinning tires on the Peoplemover were provided by Goodyear, the attraction's sponsor. Monsanto's House of The Future was largely designed around building materials produced by the company. The content of the pre and post shows of America the Beautiful, sponsored by AT&T, showcased the company's services and products. Other tie-ins like TWA's Rocket to The Moon, The Coca Cola Tomorrowland Terrace, The Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad, Carnation Plaza Gardens, and The Aunt Jemima Pancake House conveniently had their brands integrated into the name of the attraction or venue. :confused:
In the tomorrowland examples though, I value the fact that these sponsorships enabled an expansion of content toward edutainment and scientific realism. In the absence of corporate sponsorships, everything is IP. Is there still a market for branded edutainment? We don't know because it is never done well. But I think if Elon Musk and Apple (the apple of 6 years ago) had attractions that were exciting in show buildings and retail spaces sexy enough, it could work. I am not ignorant to the fact though that it is a more limited market than IP, but an angle that desperately brings some variety and delivers on some of the ingredients to Walt's Disneyland.

nevol

The fact Disney and Space X haven't teamed up to create an attraction for Tomorrowland or Epcot upsets me greatly. Imagine if Mission Space was completely redone to be sponsored by Space X and focused on an idea of colonizing Mars? It would be fantastic.
How is there not convention space at EPCOT? How do they not host their own TEDx event for guests to observe and feel a part of? How do they not have a celebration of the Nobel Prize winners each year? Or a second stop for Las Vegas' CES conference? Host summer college courses and collaborative projects between a variety of universities? They don't do anything.

When Walt was alive, his vision for EPCOT and the reason he was given the rights to establish his own government basically in central Florida was so that they could build the city of the future without being bogged down by legal requirements or even residents' votes (they'd all stay for about a year or so and never establish residency). The result would have been like America's own Masdar City (UAE). We have nothing of the sort in the United States. Instead of being the most experimental, innovative, futuristic place in the country with a credible reputation, it has the opposite. The least relevant or consequential place outside of entertaining and indoctrinating the middle class folks.

smile

The fact Disney and Space X haven't teamed up to create an attraction for Tomorrowland or Epcot upsets me greatly. Imagine if Mission Space was completely redone to be sponsored by Space X and focused on an idea of colonizing Mars? It would be fantastic.
How is there not convention space at EPCOT? How do they not host their own TEDx event for guests to observe and feel a part of? How do they not have a celebration of the Nobel Prize winners each year? They don't do anything.

i fear you both may be referencing a twdc that simply no longer exists

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom