News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It's entirely possible to disapprove of the current direction yet agree that the strategy is a good move for revenue growth (me). Instead of acceptance fans are struggling to reconcile their aspirations for Disneyland with the reality that the public at large has fully embraced this new age of Disney Parks as a distribution channel for Studio IP. Sorry folks but this is the new normal.

It could also be said in a different way, it has always been this way but fans never accepted it until now. As I bring it back to this little piece of history from 1957 that fans seem to want to ignore:

55a6bb002acae74c2f8b48b8-750.jpg

smile

It could also be said in a different way, it has always been this way but fans never accepted it until now. As I bring it back to this little piece of history from 1957 that fans seem to want to ignore:

chart's far more complicated now, but it's yet another way the old man was far ahead of his time... talking synergy all along
- though he was referring to properties developed in-house as opposed to acquiring franchises, but still

TROR

Nobody has a problem with this. Well, some do, but most complaints I've seen come from: a) Disney purchasing other companies and treating them equal to their own movies or b) a lack of quality and a lack of originality within the parks.

Californian Elitist

You guys seriously... if you want to discuss something other than Pixar Pier and it's construction progress and news take it to ANOTHER thread. People clicking on this thread are looking for news and updates on PIXAR PIER. Not your opinions on TWDC etc etc etc.

PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC and take the other discussion elsewhere.

???

How can you possibly expect for us to not get into separate conversations and only stick to the topic of the thread as the topic of thread only? It’s not going to happen.

If you want updates and news, google it. If there are any updates, they will pop up during your search. And for the record, I feel this thread has been consistent with posting updates and news. To my knowledge, nothing new has been posted today.

Carry on.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Nobody has a problem with this. Well, some do, but most complaints I've seen come from: a) Disney purchasing other companies and treating them equal to their own movies or b) a lack of quality and a lack of originality within the parks.

Point is once something is in-house, whether bought or not, its put into the synergy machine that has ALWAYS been part of the company. Its a continual feedback loop that will continue long after we stop debating this topic.

TROR

Point is once something is in-house, whether bought or not, its put into the synergy machine that has ALWAYS been part of the company. Its a continual feedback loop that will continue long after we stop debating this topic.
Not always. With the exception of Nightmare Before Christmas, Miramax and Touchstone Pictures films weren't promoted or represented in the parks. It was part of the effort to keep the Disney brand name intact. Because they have decided to include Marvel, Lucasfilm, and Pixar as part of the Disney brand now, that Disney brand they tried to protect in the 90's no longer exists and the company is no different than other multimedia conglomerates like Comcast. There's simply nothing special about "Disney" anymore.

D

Deleted member 107043

What difference does it make? If that's the way the business has been run for the past 10-15 years and into the foreseeable future the conversation needs to shift. You're talking about Disneyland like it's 1985.

Practical Pig

And its even more complicated now. Its something that has been part of the company since the early days, and nothing is going to stop it now.

I've used these charts before here somewhere or other to make that exact point. I understand and agree with the frustrations people have about the onslaught of film IP in the park, but this synergy has been driving the success of the DL from the start.

DanielBB8

Not always. With the exception of Nightmare Before Christmas, Miramax and Touchstone Pictures films weren't promoted or represented in the parks. It was part of the effort to keep the Disney brand name intact. Because they have decided to include Marvel, Lucasfilm, and Pixar as part of the Disney brand now, that Disney brand they tried to protect in the 90's no longer exists and the company is no different than other multimedia conglomerates like Comcast. There's simply nothing special about "Disney" anymore.
Touchstone’s Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Dick Tracy, Pearl Harbor were in the theme parks.

A Wrinkle in Time is actually a remake. It was originally produced as a Miramax film for television.

TROR

Touchstone’s Who Framed Roger Rabbit, **** Tracy, Pearl Harbor were in the theme parks.

A Wrinkle in Time is actually a remake. It was originally produced as a Miramax film for television.
Five movies (I'm throwing in Splash just because Splash Mountain's named after it) out of the hundreds combined between both studios isn't too bad.

Compare that to all eighteen MCU films that have been represented in the parks one way or another plus all twenty one (that's including Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4) that have been represented in the parks one way or another.

Put your money where your mouth is and stop buying garbage then.
I haven't been to DCA since before Tower of Terror closed. I have no plans to go back.

DanielBB8

Touchstone’s Armageddon inspired the attraction at Paris Studios, but really just borrowed the name.

In Wikipedia “Armageddon – Les Effets Speciaux is an attraction based on Armageddon at Walt Disney Studios Park located at Disneyland Paris.[32] The attraction simulates the scene in the movie in which the Russian Space Station is destroyed.[33] Michael Clarke Duncan ("Bear" in the film) is featured in the pre-show”

DanielBB8

It’s weird to compare Disney with Comcast since Universal Studios and theme parks have very little Universal Studios movies and most IP are licensed. Disney owns most IP that goes into its parks while Universal just doesn’t make movies that offer synergy with theme parks and merchandising. The link doesn’t exist. Universal produces a lot of horror movies that are only utilized during haunt season. It’s biggest attractions are licensed IP.

FigmentForver96

I agree. To insist that Disney continue to adhere to it’s original concepts is bad for business and bad for Disney. Epcot, DHS, AK, and DCA couldn’t sustain it. I don’t know about you, but I really don’t enjoy paying $100 to get a warmed over science exhibit that’s designed for school kids. An actual science center is about $30 per person or $120 for a family membership.

Tokyo DisneySeas went a different route that appears to have worked. Just make a fun theme park.

Lol there will never be anything as grand as EPCOT Center. The new rides may be fun but even the IPs they are using will have to be changed within 10-15 years. Does anyone think Guardians of the Galaxy will be as popular 20 years from now? Not unless it gets a reboot and that still warrants money being poured into the ride. They will have to pour money into the park no matter what so this idea it has to be safe, easy IP investments is just not true. EPCOT Center died because a man thought it needed to become edgy and hip. Mind you he tore the park apart with renovations so either way they were spending a lot of money. Attendance was highest in the 80s before the downfall and it hasn't hit it since. People are crazy if they think Guardians will change that.

D

Deleted member 107043

Does anyone think Guardians of the Galaxy will be as popular 20 years from now?

I think we can comfortably assume that an indoor highly-themed roller coaster based on a Marvel comic and a massively successful film series will be more popular 20 years from now than Universe of Energy was 20 years after it opened. For comparison the last Indiana Jones film was released 20 years ago this year, and as far as I can tell the Indiana Jones rides at DL, DLP, and TDS are as popular as ever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom