News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

TP2000

So, to recap...
A bunch of Pixar employees used to visit an old warehouse/factory that was built at the entrance to a Californian Pier. Coincidentally, the Parr family also decided to place their residence at the foot of the pier, where an old wooden roller coaster loads and unloads. Meanwhile, the Toy Story Gang has brought a giant spinning top out for guests to ride on, or enter a Victorian parlor to play life sized midway games. Continuing further down, guests will be surrounded by Victorian inspired architecture with character clip art slapped on the side, where guests can ride a wheel with Mickey’s face on the side. Finally, after having the chance to purchase a dead character’s tears, guests can suddenly be immersed in the world of inside out, as they are surrounded by a wall meant to remove them from the painfully obvious Rollercoaster around them, while riding physically (and emotionally) on Mood Swings.

Did I get that all right?

You forgot the Lobster Nachos.

nevol

So, to recap...
A bunch of Pixar employees used to visit an old warehouse/factory that was built at the entrance to a Californian Pier. Coincidentally, the Parr family also decided to place their residence at the foot of the pier, where an old wooden roller coaster loads and unloads. Meanwhile, the Toy Story Gang has brought a giant spinning top out for guests to ride on, or enter a Victorian parlor to play life sized midway games. Continuing further down, guests will be surrounded by Victorian inspired architecture with character clip art slapped on the side, where guests can ride a wheel with Mickey’s face on the side. Finally, after having the chance to purchase a dead character’s tears, guests can suddenly be immersed in the world of inside out, as they are surrounded by a wall meant to remove them from the painfully obvious Rollercoaster around them, while riding physically (and emotionally) on Mood Swings.

Brutal! Spot on.

They are going for this immersive character neighborhood thing, but not too immersive because it is still a pier and we dont want to lose sight of that. Nevertheless, we are supposed to be immersed in 3 of 4/5 areas in the story worlds of different pixar films. However, the games of the boardwalk area will be a collage, taking us out of immersion and just presenting us with artifacts of the studio's work. Same with Lamplight Lounge. It is bad. This could have been an immersive experience. It will probably be popular among young adults who don't really love immersive theme parks or AP's who are addicted to nachos, but overall the degree of separation from the story world that this concept represents is a lot more native to hotels and cruise ships. This would be perfect and all I would expect from Pixar Pier Hotel, for example, because a hotel doesn't always offer full immersion and has the excuse of not being a theme park. In the parks, however, this doesn't even fit the rest of the land's theme.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Brutal! Spot on.

They are going for this immersive character neighborhood thing, but not too immersive because it is still a pier and we dont want to lose sight of that. Nevertheless, we are supposed to be immersed in 3 of 4/5 areas in the story worlds of different pixar films. However, the games of the boardwalk area will be a collage, taking us out of immersion and just presenting us with artifacts of the studio's work. Same with Lamplight Lounge. It is bad. This could have been an immersive experience. It will probably be popular among young adults who don't really love immersive theme parks or AP's who are addicted to nachos, but overall the degree of separation from the story world that this concept represents is a lot more native to hotels and cruise ships. This would be perfect and all I would expect from Pixar Pier Hotel, for example, because a hotel doesn't always offer full immersion and has the excuse of not being a theme park. In the parks, however, this doesn't even fit the rest of the land's theme.

And once again, let's not forget that this whole project is supposedly being done so that folks at WDI can stick it to Chapek and prove themselves as component Imagineers...

smile

So, to recap...

They had no vision amazing
Of the goodly house they are raising;
They had no divine foreshowing

Of the land to which they are going

dweezil78

It's very strange. Not one single piece of artwork to show. That tells me they are slapping this together, and it will be the Pixar version of a Chachkies or Flingers from Office Space.

I just have this sinking feeling that somehow John Lassetter, the founder and face of Pixar, was going to be heavily featured in this dining concept until three months ago when he was placed on leave for his well-known behavior. They've been scrambling for 90 days to remove the Lassetter from the Lasseter's Lounge concept and reinvent it quickly.

Thus, no concept art and a Parks Blog forced to use every 50 cent word in their arsenal.

I don't have an answer, but I really can't imagine that is it. For one, there's really no reason they had to announce this today -- especially w/ the announcement of Tropical Hideaway. They could have/should have waited until concept art was ready.

While the bar very well may have been called Lasseter's as a nod or something, that's an easy fix to make. No offense to John, but he's not exactly the most photogenic dude, so I really doubt his face would have been anywhere near that thing nor would most guests have any idea who he was or care to know.

dweezil78

Why are you still bringing up the film?

Because -- as I think this is the point he is trying to make, Disney views all their IP as potential brands (maybe 'product' is a better term) whether or not it originates on the park side or the studio side. Rides become franchises, franchises become rides... It goes in all directions. The original Disneyland TV show essentially served as a long form commercial to sell these things to the public. He's not that far off base.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

nevol

I saw concept art for the interior on a fresh baked video via the disney moms event where this was announced. It looks like the dtla edison in cove bar.

Californian Elitist

Because -- as I think this is the point he is trying to make, Disney views all their IP as potential brands (maybe 'product' is a better term) whether or not it originates on the park side or the studio side. Rides become franchises, franchises become rides... It goes in all directions. The original Disneyland TV show essentially served as a long form commercial to sell these things to the public. He's not that far off base.

s-l1600.jpg

I understand exactly what they’re trying to say, and I agree with it. However, there is a difference between Disneyland’s original content becoming sellable merchandise and brands and Disney doing something like Lamplight Lounge.

dweezil78

I understand exactly what they’re trying to say, and I agree with it. However, there is a difference between Disneyland’s original content becoming sellable merchandise and brands and Disney doing something like Lamplight Lounge.

Well chew on this... the Disney company was 32 years old when they started selling it as a brand in the form of Disneyland in 1955. Want to take a guess how old Pixar is? (They were founded in 1986.) Only offering this up as a random observation, not trying to prove anything with it. Interesting factoid though...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom