News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

nevol

Honestly, I think it'll be a hard comparison.
One being a remote galaxy planet outpost with a unified setting and look and the other being a hodgepodge of super heroes that exist in multiple places...none of them being CA.

I feel that SWL is going for total immersion and amazing tech on the attractions.
ML is probably just going for thrills and brand recognition, with humor thrown in.
Would have been interesting just to embed the characters into richly themed california lands. I can't say more interesting, because I haven't seen the plans, but it is difficult to imagine a spidey looking nyc land in dca.

nevol

I have a feeling we'll get more info this summer. Patience....
I don't have any:) I've been waiting for 2 years and we haven't seen so much as a dribble of concept art to give us any reassurance! Honestly would have been nice of them to throw some aesthetic piece out there. One bit of concept art so that we get some idea of what is to come. I'm not a fan of the marvel land look going to hong kong. I'd rather experience a world with real citizens and life happening that just happens to have superheroes than a place that is nothing but a military base.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That is totally fair. It is a lateral move. However, it is a lateral move from something that was not a lateral move when it opened. It was a steep drop in show quality when it opened in 2001 from what Disney was known for. Now, nobody expects anything anymore to the extent that I'm excited to see what kind of lighting they have in the scream tubes. There was a time when the entirety of futureworld at epcot was going to span an underground show building from where carthay circle is all the way to Disneyland Drive, taking up the space where grand californian and downtown disney are today, while world showcase lands and hotels were to be built on top of it. I'll just leave it at that.
::sigh:: oh Westcot...we barely knew ya...

While its a good footnote, Westcot has no bearing on what WDI is doing today. I'm guessing that majority of those from that era are no longer even with the company.

nevol

While its a good footnote, Westcot has no bearing on what WDI is doing today. I'm guessing that majority of those from that era are no longer even with the company.
Our point entirely.

Star wars will be amazing and I will certainly cry on battle escape. I hope they really upgrade more of the resort area once they start to see revenue from star wars. and continue to invest in the parks and making QUALITY experiences. And take seriously the 70th anniversary new tomorrowland. That is all we ask. Not some new paint or a static figure of Olaf in the Matterhorn.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't have any:) I've been waiting for 2 years and we haven't seen so much as a dribble of concept art to give us any reassurance! Honestly would have been nice of them to throw some aesthetic piece out there. One bit of concept art so that we get some idea of what is to come. I'm not a fan of the marvel land look going to hong kong. I'd rather experience a world with real citizens and life happening that just happens to have superheroes than a place that is nothing but a military base.

If the Eastern Gateway would have been approved you would have heard more at D23. But we are where we are.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Star wars will be amazing and I will certainly cry on battle escape. I hope they really upgrade more of the resort area once they start to see revenue from star wars. and continue to invest in the parks and making QUALITY experiences. And take seriously the 70th anniversary new tomorrowland. That is all we ask. Not some new paint or a static figure of Olaf in the Matterhorn.

I have a feeling TL will be part of the 75th.

nevol

This goes back to what I mentioned a few posts ago. You have to train the next generation of Imagineer and that is likely what they are doing with some of these overlay projects.
That's a very different kind of training than the kind of training we are looking for. Daring thinking, good entertainment design. Meaningful projects. I guess they're just teaching the next generation how to be obedient. I promise you there are so many qualified talented entertainment designers, writers, directors, production designers, concept artists, that would kill to design something cool again but who are taking their talents elsewhere, like video game design or film, because the culture at wdi under parks and resorts leadership is not one that would allow them to thrive. I live in Los Angeles and work in the industry and I see where people go after they graduate from prestigious art and architecture schools, and how they view the company. It isn't on anybody's radar. It is seen as banal junk.

Disney's IP mandate and the short leash on wdi is working for some people but obviously not for everyone. There are serious problems with how the industry is structured right now regardless of how much money is flowing through it, how many projects there are around the globe and how many people are working in it. For example, Universal's project-hire/vendor system ensures that every design team is working rapidly and just delivering exactly what universal asks for as quickly as possible on any particular siloed project. You see this at disney now too, where projects, even when they are great when considered alone, aren't interfacing their parks /sight conditions/ or the park themes. With teams so fragmented, often at other companies, people aren't collaborating as much, and there aren't as many people sticking around with any particular park as long, or long enough or in a position of authority where they can think of or speak up about unconventional solutions and ideas that would be better than the project they're on. You either make your ridiculous collage for the water show or you're shown the door. I know people too who are very much like "I'll only come back if the position is on star wars." I would hope that everybody is passionate about their projects and that this can help make every project special, but if special projects that aren't star wars aren't given a space to be blueskied, then that is a problem.

I catch myself writing this and I feel like this level of skepticism is unhealthy, but with the inconsistency we have seen with DLR projects and how the company just completely trashed the place in 2001, how can I not? There are obviously good things coming down the pipeline, from star wars to this new hotel, which people are complaining about, but I gotta give it to them. It is different for Disney, and that deserves recognition.

Last edited:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

That's a very different kind of training than the kind of training we are looking for. Daring thinking, good entertainment design. Meaningful projects. I guess they're just teaching the next generation how to be obedient. I promise you there are so many qualified talented entertainment designers, writers, directors, production designers, concept artists, that would kill to design something cool again but who are taking their talents elsewhere, like video game design or film, because the culture at wdi under parks and resorts leadership is not one that would allow them to thrive. I live in Los Angeles and work in the industry and I see where people go after they graduate from prestigious art and architecture schools, and how they view the company. It isn't on anybody's radar. It is seen as banal junk.
And until the IP-only mandate is lifted, it seems it will be stuck like that.

nevol

New hotel theme: What if this is just a major expansion/replacement of the Disneyland Hotel? Would be okay with me. Given its more modern/contemporary look, would a tomorrowland or even EPCOT themed hotel excite people? Disneyland's tomorrowland is such a mess, so how could would it to rebalance the resort with that waltian futurism/ technological optimism by having an epcot model city of the future model on the idyllic resort grounds, near the monorail and disneyland, and near downtown disney's entertainment and pedestrian boulevards? If they're developing an epcot hotel for epcot itself, could be really easy to pull off. Same with an additional wing dedicated to the immersive star wars hotel experience.

Rich T

This goes back to what I mentioned a few posts ago. You have to train the next generation of Imagineer and that is likely what they are doing with some of these overlay projects.
"All right troops, you think you're ready to design anything good or tasteful? WRONG! Now you get your sorry posteriors over to Paradise Pier and give it the most pointless, unwanted overlay imaginable! Make sure NOTHING makes sense! Do you hear me, maggots? I can't heeearrr you! And YOU! Aren't you the Einstein who suggested designing a candy store around Bing Bong just because he cried candy tears before he DIED TRAGICALLY IN THE SADDEST DISNEY/PIXAR SCENE EVER???? Why that's the most tasteless, cynical thing I've ever heard! You clearly have no idea what that movie is about! You get a bonus! Now, march!"

Hatbox Ghostbuster

"All right troops, you think you're ready to design anything good or tasteful? WRONG! Now you get your sorry posteriors over to Paradise Pier and give it the most pointless, unwanted overlay imaginable! Make sure NOTHING makes sense! Do you hear me, maggots? I can't heeearrr you! And YOU! Aren't you the Einstein who suggested designing a candy store around Bing Bong just because he cried candy tears before he DIED TRAGICALLY IN THE SADDEST DISNEY/PIXAR SCENE EVER???? Why that's the most tasteless, cynical thing I've ever heard! You clearly have no idea what that movie is about! You get a bonus! Now, march!"
I just read that in the voice of General Knowledge.

brb1006

i really wish they had at least themed the supports on slinky coaster. How difficult would it had been to order more fake building block shells and place them around the supports.
They could have even given them a themed paint job to look like K'nex building blocks by just painting them in multiple colors and adding a few themed joints. K'nex even sells sets to build coasters, maybe try and do a deal with them so that they could sponsor the coaster and sell their toys at the park.
They could also have painted them to look like Lincoln blocks.
The illusion of it being made by a child in his backyard would have been much more believable with these extra touches along with a few more scattered toys thrown around in the land.

Bugsland may not have had the best attractions but i think so far it has been the one land that really helped create the illusion they wanted to create. The compact walkways, the landscape and all the great props throughout really added to it all.
If they really are going to tear out bugsland they should really consider seeing if it is worth saving some of those great props and ship them to Florida to be used. Everything from the popsicle benches to the giant cloverleaves.

so far im not that impressed with the lack of tall grasses and bamboo as well as the huge paths in this new toy storyland. the theming itself is great so far but the cutbacks in design have really hurt what could have been a really fun place to explore. Now its just a place to go get on a couple rides and walk out.

I'm really hoping that TDA is pushing WDI for details on Pixar Pier. They might not be the best ideas for the parks but they could be visually fun
Early concept art actually had more figures to the Slinky Coaster before getting cut.

nevol

"ALRIGHT TROOPS WHO DON'T WORK FOR DISNEY AND HAVE NO JOB SECURITY AND ARE ONLY BEING STAFFED ON THIS PROJECT THROUGH A TEMPING AGENCY! YOU WANT TO BE AN IMAGINEER? HERE'S A PROJECT FOR IMAGINEERING, BUT YOU WON'T BE ALLOWED TO IMAGINE ANYTHING! AND IF YOU STEP OUT OF LINE, YOU'LL NEVER GET THE OPPORTUNITY TO BE PLACED BLINDLY ON A DISNEY PROJECT EVER AGAIN FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE! NOW GO OUT THERE AND MAKE SOME GARBAGE AND DON'T FORGET TO FILL OUT YOUR TIME CARDS AND TURN THEM IN BY 5 PM ON FRIDAY! WE AREN'T PAYING YOU OVERTIME SO DON'T EVEN TRY! AND IF ANYBODY ASKS, YOU DO NOT WORK FOR WALT DISNEY IMAGINEERING! YOU'LL GET A NAME TAG WITH MICKEY ON IT WHEN WORKING ON SIGHT BUT THAT IS ONLY TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE WE TREAT OUR EMPLOYEES BETTER THAN WE ACTUALLY DO IF ANY GUESTS SEE YOU!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom