News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Hatbox Ghostbuster

If you believe the rumor hype from sites like MC, WDI had to go back and redesign several times because the management wanted everything bigger. Its the reason why the site changed from TT to where it is now.

As for MB, was that the same team handling SW:GE? Is that the same team handling PP? I doubt it.
Look all I know is what I know. People on the inside have confided in me that WDI is a mess, and whether its mostly rumor or not, it just strikes me that Pixar Pier is an internal company vanity project that no one asked for....except maybe JL!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Look all I know is what I know. People on the inside have confided in me that WDI is a mess, and whether its mostly rumor or not, it just strikes me that Pixar Pier is an internal company vanity project that no one asked for....except maybe JL!

So by your own insiders WDI is a "mess". If you were the head of P&R would you trust a division, the supposed crown jewel of theme park design, that is a "mess" to design the next Haunted Mansion or Pirates? I know I wouldn't, not at least until they proved themselves again.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

So by your own insiders WDI is a "mess". If you were the head of P&R would you trust a division, the supposed crown jewel of theme park design, that is a "mess" to design the next Haunted Mansion or Pirates? I know I wouldn't, not at least until they proved themselves again.
I would not. I would also not trust a corporate entity that approves GOTG going into Epcot as a means of preserving the park's legacy.

But the good thing about messes is that they can be cleaned up :)

TROR

If Pixar Pier is the best they can do, how much does it really prove, though? That they can get things done fast and cheap, sure, but I care about quality. Some people *cough* dumb stupid AP's *cough* like things just because they're new and shiny, but that's not enough for me. Pixar Pier isn't proof they can make the next Haunted Mansion or Pirates, it's proof they can make quick garbage.

mickEblu

But aren’t they doing that with SWL and the 2 new attractions? Or is Bob Chapek saying that 4 years for SWL is too long?

mickEblu

If Pixar Pier is the best they can do, how much does it really prove, though? That they can get things done fast and cheap, sure, but I care about quality. Some people *cough* dumb stupid AP's *cough* like things just because they're new and shiny, but that's not enough for me. Pixar Pier isn't proof they can make the next Haunted Mansion or Pirates, it's proof they can make quick garbage.

Exactly. It’s like the whole practice makes perfect v. Perfect practice makes perfect thing. Pixar Pier proves nothing.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Exactly.

If Pixar Pier is the "proof" needed to show that WDI is still capable and creative, then to me its already a fail.

No Name

Current 1518812514573.png
New 1518812244347.png

"Toy Story Mania"

This is our most desperate hour. Help me, California Adventure. You're my only hope.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

What I can say is that from a business perspective things make sense when you take a step back. You may not like PP and think its garbage, personally I'm "eh" about it other than the Incredicoaster. But as some has said its more of a lateral move. Nothing is really being lost and nothing is really being gained.

I look at this like the test before they get fully unleashed on Marvel.

mickEblu

Exactly.

If Pixar Pier is the "proof" needed to show that WDI is still capable and creative, then to me its already a fail.

I think it’s more to prove they can meet timelines. I guess it’s good practice if all this specific team is going to do is work on cheap overlays. But that scares me - how many more of these are in the pipeline?

Hatbox Ghostbuster

What I can say is that from a business perspective things make sense when you take a step back. You may not like PP and think its garbage, personally I'm "eh" about it other than the Incredicoaster. But as some has said its more of a lateral move. Nothing is really being lost and nothing is really being gained.

I look at this like the test before they get fully unleashed on Marvel.
I'm sorry. I'm a child.

On a more serious note...if Pixar Pier is your portfolio piece to show you can handle Marvel Land...then I already have some concerns for Marvel Land.

mickEblu

WDI has to be about more than just "on time and on budget". It HAS to.

For sure they are. I’m saying the only way the reasoning for this project makes sense is if they plan to have this team constantly doing little overlays like this. I don’t see how this could prepare this “C” team to completing something like SWL in 3 years or less. With that said, I guess you have to start somewhere.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think it’s more to prove they can meet timelines.

I think its more this, and to keep things within a budget.

On a more serious note...if Pixar Pier is your portfolio piece to show you can handle Marvel Land...then I already have some concerns for Marvel Land.

I don't have concerns for Marvel Land. Team A would be on that.

But you have to fill your Team A with A level people especially as people leave. And how do test people without having them work on projects? You give them smaller less important projects to work on. And then sees who rises to A level.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

For sure they are. I’m saying the only way the reasoning for this project makes sense is if they plan to have this team constantly doing little overlays like this. I don’t see how this could prepare this “C” team to completing something like SWL in 3 years or less. With that said, I guess you have to start somewhere.
Totally.

So to put it another way, PP is being handled by WDI's minor league team.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom