News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Ismael Flores

Does anyone else cringe when they use “character figures” when describing the Incredicoaster? Maybe there will be a surprise AA in one of those show scenes. They never announced the Rocket AA in MB either.
It is too bad that they didn’t consider extending New the enclosed tube and other cover the second lift. They could have added a longer show scene while the train station moved at slower speed up the lift

Ismael Flores

I was walking thru DCA on Saturday near the jumping jellyfish and realized how much room they have there.
Instead of moving flicks flyers into that huge helix, they should have moved the silly symphony ride there. Once that was done integrate the land from the jumping jellyfish south to silly symphony for a new ride. That area could really use another indoor ride. All that land as well as the sand pit and the water between the silly symphony platform and helix would give them a huge space to work with.

Better yet, they could have left silly symphony platform there and put the zephyr in top of it.
It would look so cool at the height.
Then use the land from the old zephyr plot and everything next to it for a new darkride and maybe small snack or shop.

This would give them another reason to get rid of seaside souvenir, corn dog shack and goofy and build another large indoor attraction

Flicks could have gone inside the eastern helix with a new theme

Hattieboxghost110

Oh I'm excited about those. But I look at those more as maintenance projects rather than new additions. BUT maybe if the actual new additions were actually new additions and worth being excited about, I wouldn't have to rely on Dumbo shade to get my gander up.

I know you don't agree with the IP/Placement, but Star Wars Land is going to be classic Disney in many ways. It's gonna be...

-HIGHLY IMMERSIVE
-VERY DETAILED
-TRANSPORTIVE TO ANOTHER PLACE/TIME
-APPEALING TO CHILDREN & ADULTS
-WELL-THEMED

-SPARE NO EXPENSE
-NO CHEAP OVERLAYS
-BRAND NEW ATTRACTIONS
-INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGY

Disney is going all out on this land the way Walt did so on his Park, Pirates, Main Street USA, NOS, Matterhorn, IASW, etc.

Curious Constance

I know you don't agree with the IP/Placement, but Star Wars Land is going to be classic Disney in many ways. It's gonna be...

-HIGHLY IMMERSIVE
-VERY DETAILED
-WELL-THEMED

-SPARE NO EXPENSE
-NO CHEAP OVERLAYS
-BRAND NEW ATTRACTIONS
-INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGY

Disney is going all out on this land the way Walt did so on his Park, Pirates, Main Street USA, NOS, Matterhorn, IASW, etc.

I actually am excited for Star Wars land. I'm tired of Star Wars, but I know that they are going all out on this one, and I know it's going to be a lot of fun. And the placement doesn't bother me too terribly either. I think the changes to the river were positive and well done. Overall, I think Star Wars is an IP truly worth a land devoted to it (unlike Pixar). It's unfortunate that much land is being used for two rides, but I can understand their need to go big or go home since everyone is acting like Disney is being put of of business by Universal, and needs to react to Harry Potter.

I hope the land isn't too focused on the newer movies, since I don't think they are or will be nearly as timeless, good, or deserving of a land as the classic movies.

While it wouldn't be my first choice, I'll be there to check it out as soon as I can (which may not actually be until 2020 or so due to other vacation plans) and I know I'll have a lot of fun.

nevol

-HIGHLY IMMERSIVE
-VERY DETAILED
-WELL-THEMED

-SPARE NO EXPENSE
-NO CHEAP OVERLAYS
-BRAND NEW ATTRACTIONS
-INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGY

beyond excited well aware that it'll be the best wdi project stateside of our lifetimes.

Hattieboxghost110

I actually am excited for Star Wars land. I'm tired of Star Wars, but I know that they are going all out on this one, and I know it's going to be a lot of fun. And the placement doesn't bother me too terribly either. I think the changes to the river were positive and well done. Overall, I think Star Wars is an IP truly worth a land devoted to it (unlike Pixar). It's unfortunate that much land is being used for two rides, but I can understand their need to go big or go home since everyone is acting like Disney is being put of of business by Universal, and needs to react to Harry Potter.

I hope the land isn't too focused on the newer movies, since I don't think they are or will be nearly as timeless, good, or deserving of a land as the classic movies.

While it wouldn't be my first choice, I'll be there to check it out as soon as I can (which may not actually be until 2020 or so due to other vacation plans) and I know I'll have a lot of fun.

Wow, I don't know why I'm so shocked with your response.

Professortango1

WDI and Anaheim should steal the Luxo AA Fromm orlando. It’s not like they took care of it. Seems like they went thru all that trouble to add it in DHS only to be locked up behind doors and never seen again

I believe they stopped using it because they were sued by Luxo, the makers of the lamp. This prompted Disney to remove the figure and Luxo Jr figures from stores.

bluerhythym

The more time that goes by the more ok I am with California Screamin being rethemed. I think the experience will be plussed, especially if they add a show scene or two. I just can’t get too worked up about a launch coaster with a loop that was supposed to be posing as an old wooden coaster from an old timey Pier. A launch coaster actually makes more sense themed to the Incredibles. Now why their home is attached to a coaster on a pier or why we have a land themed to a movie studios various characters is another story. With that said, what explanation is their for Toy Story Mania? Why do we board these vehicles and play games with the Toy Story characters on what is supposed to be some old timey Pier based in California. Point being, I think we scrutinize anything new with a different set of standards for the attractions that already exist because we tend to accept them after enough time has passed.

I don't really have a problem with Screamin' being changed, I don't really have a problem with any of the individual changes to this land. It's just the bigger concept that I have a problem with. The individual attractions should work together to form something greater than the sum of its parts, and this concept just doesn't do that.

As for Midway Mania - it works under the broader boardwalk theme. There's so much room to stretch these themes underneath the bigger blanket concepts. Which is why I hope DCA doesn't lose its theme - the California concept has so much more potential than its given credit for. Its one of the most geographically and culturally diverse places in the world. Little Mermaid doesn't take place in California, but works underneath the greater seaside theme. Up doesn't take place in the Sierra Nevadas, but works just fine under the adventure and wilderness concept. There's room under the California concept for Coco and Mulan and so many other IPs.

They could have incorporated the Incredibles into Screamin' while still sticking to the pier theme. Why couldn't they be saving a seaside amusement park from giant shark robots or something?

Last edited:

djlaosc

I'm in the exact same situation (April 25 - May 1).

I'm honestly getting a little frustrated. This is supposed to be my first trip to DLR and likely the only one before having any kids. It sounds like the big attractions at Paradise Pier will be closed. But now World of Color sounds like it might be closed and there is a potential Pirates of the Carribean closure looming. The whole reason I picked the dates I did was because it was past Spring Break and Paint the Night would be running again. I could accept California Screamin' being down and have been hoping that maybe, just maybe, Mickey's Fun Wheel would at least be back in operation. I know there is still plenty to keep me busy but its still a little disappointing. We purposely decided to go to WDW again last year instead of DLR because of the closures related to SWL.

Same here - our dates overlap yours, and we are now going to be down:

California Screamin'
Mickey's Fun Wheel
Games of the Boardwalk
World of Color
Dumbo
Pirates of the Caribbean (I heard April 23rd start today but can't find confirmation of this online).

TROR

I really don't have a problem with Screamin' being rechanged, I don't really have a problem with any of the individual changes to this land. It's just the bigger concept that I have a problem with. The individual attractions should work together to form something greater than the sum of its parts, and this concept just doesn't do that.

As for Midway Mania - it works under the broader boardwalk theme. There's so much room to stretch these themes underneath the bigger blanket concepts. Which is why I hope DCA doesn't lose its theme - the California concept has so much more potential than its given credit for. Its one of the most geographically and culturally diverse places in the world. Little Mermaid doesn't take place in California, but works underneath the greater seaside theme. Up doesn't take place in the Sierra Nevadas, but works just fine under the adventure and wilderness concept. There's room under the California concept for Coco and Mulan and so many other IPs.

They could have incorporated the Incredibles into Screamin' while still sticking to the pier theme. Why couldn't they be saving a seaside amusement park from giant shark robots or something?

I agree with everything except your feelings on the Screamin' change. Adding a story to Screamin', no matter what it is, would ruin the charm of the attraction, at least in my opinion. It is its simplicity that makes it so charming and, unless it's put completely in a show building somehow, I'll never be satisfied by any show scene on the ride no matter what that show scene is.

bluerhythym

I agree with everything except your feelings on the Screamin' change. Adding a story to Screamin', no matter what it is, would ruin the charm of the attraction, at least in my opinion. It is its simplicity that makes it so charming and, unless it's put completely in a show building somehow, I'll never be satisfied by any show scene on the ride no matter what that show scene is.

I understand your point, but I just think the poor sight lines ruins the simplicity and charm for me. Back when they had the waves, maybe - but since they turned those off it just doesn't do it for me. Still a really fun coaster, but not really a great "Disney" ride. Definitely not evocative of a seaside pier.

I don't think it needed a story, but definitely could have benefited from some dark ride scenes. Some rickety old Pacific Wharf type buildings, with some tide pools or coastal bluffs inside. Its so hard to depict a coastline in the parks, doing it within a dark ride scene seems like they only way to properly do it. Unless of course you're already on the ocean like DisneySea.

(Also, if you're reading this Disney - by "Disney" ride, I don't mean characters plastered everywhere, I mean a ride that's evocative and takes you to another time and place. Maybe "Walt Disney" ride is a better term to use...)

TROR

I understand your point, but I just think the poor sight lines ruins the simplicity and charm for me. Back when they had the waves, maybe - but since they turned those off it just doesn't do it for me. Still a really fun coaster, but not really a great "Disney" ride. Definitely not evocative of a seaside pier.

I don't think it needed a story, but definitely could have benefited from some dark ride scenes. Some rickety old Pacific Wharf type buildings, with some tide pools or coastal bluffs inside. Its so hard to depict a coastline in the parks, doing it within a dark ride scene seems like they only way to properly do it. Unless of course you're already on the ocean like DisneySea.

(Also, if you're reading this Disney - by "Disney" ride, I don't mean characters plastered everywhere, I mean a ride that's evocative and takes you to another time and place. Maybe "Walt Disney" ride is a better term to use...)
I agree on adding some more elements, such as tide pools. If I'm remembering correctly, the 2009 model for Paradise Pier included tide pools and rock work before the launch of the coaster. One thing I've always wanted for Screamin' was for, at the end of the ride when you brake, you to enter a little cave to hide the powerlines, Anaheim Convention Center, parade building, and chainlink fence from the riders. One thing I am glad the Incredible coaster is doing is fixing this issue as it truly was embarrassing. Almost as embarrassing as Pixar Pier.

SteamboatJoe

Same here - our dates overlap yours, and we are now going to be down:

California Screamin'
Mickey's Fun Wheel
Games of the Boardwalk
World of Color
Dumbo
Pirates of the Caribbean (I heard April 23rd start today but can't find confirmation of this online).

Some of the unofficial estimates I am seeing predict that Dumbo will be open by then. I tend to believe them given the scope of the work.

I contacted DL Guest Relations about WoC but was pretty much told that refurbs that far out have not yet been determined or announced yet. So it wasn't a yes but it wasn't a no either. I found this response disappointing given the fact that I essentially told them that another arm of their company, Adventures by Disney, is telling people it will be close. I have been debating whether or not I should contact Adventures by Disney to see what they say.

PotC is probably the one that bums me out the most given that it is the original version and very different from the WDW version. The date you heard would, unfortunately for us, make sense as that is after the spring break rush. I read somewhere that it would be down for approximately 6 weeks which means the probable goal is to have it back up and running for the summer season. Another reason that date makes sense is that I am hearing Splash will re-open in mid-April. With all of the DCA closures they probably don't want to have a ton of major attractions in DL down at that time of the year as well. Finishing and opening Splash before closing PotC seems logical with that in mind.

mickEblu

I really don't have a problem with Screamin' being rechanged, I don't really have a problem with any of the individual changes to this land. It's just the bigger concept that I have a problem with. The individual attractions should work together to form something greater than the sum of its parts, and this concept just doesn't do that.

I agree this change doesn’t bother me so much as the direction of the park in general. It doesn’t bother me nearly as much as the TOT conversion because Paradise Pier has always had issues. The anchor of the land is supposed to be from an old timey pier but has a launch and a loop. Aside from that, there are already Disney characters All over the land, including a huge Mickey face (which I’m a fan of). I enjoy the land but it’s never been because of its theme. More for its fun rides and kinetic energy and how it looks at dusk/ night.

So now instead we have Pixar Pier, with Pixar characters all over the place. What bothers me most is the name. I think without the cheesy marketing/ branding name, being a little more clever on the Incredicoaster story and a surprise new dark ride would of had a lot fewer people complaining.

I like your idea for the Incredicoaster btw.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom