News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

nevol

I really don't have a problem with Screamin' being rechanged, I don't really have a problem with any of the individual changes to this land. It's just the bigger concept that I have a problem with. The individual attractions should work together to form something greater than the sum of its parts, and this concept just doesn't do that.

As for Midway Mania - it works under the broader boardwalk theme. There's so much room to stretch these themes underneath the bigger blanket concepts. Which is why I hope DCA doesn't lose its theme - the California concept has so much more potential than its given credit for. Its one of the most geographically and culturally diverse places in the world. Little Mermaid doesn't take place in California, but works underneath the greater seaside theme. Up doesn't take place in the Sierra Nevadas, but works just fine under the adventure and wilderness concept. There's room under the California concept for Coco and Mulan and so many other IPs.

They could have incorporated the Incredibles into Screamin' while still sticking to the pier theme. Why couldn't they be saving a seaside amusement park from giant shark robots or something?
Or rather than us chasing a baby and the roller coaster just being a vessel to get us through the story, maybe the joke, that successfully acknowledges that you're on a roller coaster the way midway mania acknowledges that it is a boardwalk game, is that baby jack-jack BOARDED the roller coaster. Suddenly you have full incredibles integration without us being like, yea, this is bs the entire time because as soon as the show scenes are over we are back in paradise bay on a "wooden" roller coaster. Praying that they do this because it is so freaking simple to pull of and will save the project from itself.

I understand your point, but I just think the poor sight lines ruins the simplicity and charm for me. Back when they had the waves, maybe - but since they turned those off it just doesn't do it for me. Still a really fun coaster, but not really a great "Disney" ride. Definitely not evocative of a seaside pier.

I don't think it needed a story, but definitely could have benefited from some dark ride scenes. Some rickety old Pacific Wharf type buildings, with some tide pools or coastal bluffs inside. Its so hard to depict a coastline in the parks, doing it within a dark ride scene seems like they only way to properly do it. Unless of course you're already on the ocean like DisneySea.

(Also, if you're reading this Disney - by "Disney" ride, I don't mean characters plastered everywhere, I mean a ride that's evocative and takes you to another time and place. Maybe "Walt Disney" ride is a better term to use...)

If it was a generic non-ip wooden coaster theme, dark tunnels whose entry points look like giant clown's faces a la monstro the whale, and tunnels filled with funhouse or those wavy mirror room/maze sets would be cool. A roller coaster that rapidly dabbles into all of the dark ride tropes of boardwalks, much more rapidly but still similar to how Efteling's Symbolica trackless dark ride is sort of the "every fantasyland dark ride combined." But those pier dark ride tropes never even made it on to paradise pier.

Also, check out kennywood. it is a pittsburg amusement park whose main thoroughfare is really reminiscent of coney island but classed up and its site plan reminds me of small world mall. Fountains, topiaries, whimsical. Memory of black and white photos are exaggerating reality for me, almost turning it into the white city from the chicago worlds fair in 1893, but I guess my point is that paradise/pixar pier never really hugs you and its never really playful or frilly enough. It seems like this big desirable thing and then when you walk toward it there is no payoff. You are never enveloped properly in it, have never fully arrived. Maybe/hopefully the "neighborhoods" will break up the monotony of it all and actually make it easier to just keep walking rather than stopping at screamin and turning around.

Last edited:

nevol

You should have been here six months ago. I was a different person then. Not literally, but mentally.
We got into it because you were like, "so what? what could possibly go wrong?!" with Mission: Breakout and I freaked out and said that you were allowing Disney to get away with mediocrity. But now I adore you, and everyone else here. Really humorous bunch and I sometimes wonder what it would be like if we had a meetup at the parks. Would all of our forum personas play out? would we all be in endless conversations with ourselves, talking over one another, never fully hearing anything that anybody else is saying? LOL

Curious Constance

We got into it because you were like, "so what? what could possibly go wrong?!" with Mission: Breakout and I freaked out and said that you were allowing Disney to get away with mediocrity. But now I adore you, and everyone else here. Really humorous bunch and I sometimes wonder what it would be like if we had a meetup at the parks. Would all of our forum personas play out? would we all be in endless conversations with ourselves, talking over one another, never fully hearing anything that anybody else is saying? LOL

I remember you said something about you having a much more nuanced outlook on the project than I did, and I was like, "OH NO HE DIDN'T!" Then you made me a Bob avatar and all was forgiven. Then the whole sordid breakup occurred, and I had to put a slash through your avatar and eventually do away with it entirely. That kinda cemented our friendship. You just don't go through something like that and not come out friends on the other side.

nevol

I remember you said something about you having a much more nuanced outlook on the project than I did, and I was like, "OH NO HE DIDN'T!" Then you made me a Bob avatar and all was forgiven. Then the whole sordid breakup occurred, and I had to put a slash through your avatar and eventually do away with it entirely. That kinda cemented our friendship. You just don't go through something like that and not come out friends on the other side.
I officiated your wedding with Bob. We are friends for life.

I'm awaiting confirmation from Disney that we've been selected to narrate "Together Forever: A Pixar Fireworks Spectacular."

Ismael Flores

I believe they stopped using it because they were sued by Luxo, the makers of the lamp. This prompted Disney to remove the figure and Luxo Jr figures from stores.
That would be strange, if they had a legal issue wouldn’t you think that they would not add it to other places like the ones in the concept art for Pixar Pier. Also wouldn’t it also be a legal issue being used as a studio icon?

Would be interesting to know the real reason but I’m guessing cost and TDO not wanting to maintain something that didn’t make them money
OR maybe it was a placed in an area that’s guests didn’t notice and/or just created traffic so close to that parks most popular ride and TDO didn't want the crowding

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

You said “Very weak excuse to insert yet another IP-based attraction.” as in referencing the California locations in Pixar animated movies. This discussion was about the California theme in DCA that you conveniently forgot.

DCA 1.0 was about having no Disney IP. This failed in any Disney park that attempted it like Epcot.

DCA 2.0 put Disney IP right back in with Carsland as the big success that it deserves with all the references to Route 66 that adults love.

DCA 3.0 continues to add more Disney IP with no attempt to insert the California theme even if they could. They won’t and I don’t think it matters.

I haven’t forgotten anything.

Not sure what you were getting at with listing the different versions of DCA. California being the location in Inside Out is a poor and weak excuse for including it in the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom