Paint the night is not moving to Disney World. Stop bumping this.

Speedy71

Well to all the foreigners coming all the way form other countries to WDW and are expecting a night time parade your out of luck.

prs.gif

asianway

Really? OK then. If you are the 1% that thinks that (along with the crazy idea Diagon Alley isn't the best themed land in Orlando) I'll be part of the 1% that isn't exactly a fan of PTN.

Dreamlights is by far the best nighttime parade ever done IMO.
I would agree, but at least he has seen both parades and is making a personal opinion - I can respect that. Unlike half the people offering an opinion who have never been to Tokyo.

Donaldfan1934

Glad they didn't listen to you and I had a chance to see it again in the last several years. I'm disappointed to see it go but it is 40 years old. So at least it's getting a proper send off before its retirement.
Its all about what parade you grew up with I guess. Personally, I hate how TDO used it as an excuse to kill Spectromagic, the parade I grew up with. I respect MSEP as a milestone in parade tech, but its too quaint by 2016 standards and can barely finish its route . I can only imagine what California kids will think of it after being spoiled with PTN.

Buried20KLeague

Only if you've never heard of a "five year plan" or a "ten year plan" and are completely clueless about how megacorporations actually make decisions.

What does a 5 or 10 year plan have to do with anything??

A parade that's been running daily for quite some time and then is moved cross-country is not, then, NEW. By definition.

But I'll bite and play out a scenario:

I buy a brand new car. I pay for it completely and totally out of my pocket.

I then give that car (without driving it first myself) to my friend. Right off the lot.

I let that friend drive that car for somewhere close to a year. Daily.

A year(ish) later, he gives that car back to me so that I might be able to drive it daily.

Is that car NEW, or used... Hmmmm??

I would think someone with knowledge of how megacorporations make decisions certainly would also know the definition of new and used.

Your assertion that TDO paid for PTN entirely and just let DL use it for a while first is conjecture, AT BEST. And suggesting it, after a year of the daily grind of use, is somehow akin to a brand new car rolling off the lot is backward reasoning. It's rationalizing to fit your narrative.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
What does a 5 or 10 year plan have to do with anything??

A parade that's been running daily for quite some time and then is moved cross-country is not, then, NEW. By definition.

But I'll bite and play out a scenario:

I buy a brand new car. I pay for it completely and totally out of my pocket.

I then give that car (without driving it first myself) to my friend. Right off the lot.

I let that friend drive that car for somewhere close to a year. Daily.

A year(ish) later, he gives that car back to me so that I might be able to drive it daily.

Is that car NEW, or used... Hmmmm??

I would think someone with knowledge of how megacorporations make decisions certainly would also know the definition of new and used.

Your assertion that TDO paid for PTN entirely and just let DL use it for a while first is conjecture, AT BEST. And suggesting it, after a year of the daily grind of use, is somehow akin to a brand new car rolling off the lot is backward reasoning. It's rationalizing to fit your narrative.
Bad analogy. Replace "friend" with "wife". Disney is one company. Yes, it has segments and business units but it is ultimately one company just like you and your wife are one household.

Also, a car depreciates much more in one year than a parade does.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Bad analogy. Replace "friend" with "wife". Disney is one company. Yes, it has segments and business units but it is ultimately one company just like you and your wife are one household.

Also, a car depreciates much more in one year than a parade does.

Yes, at the end of the day Disney is one company, but those segments and business units as a whole operate as independent organizations within the company. It's not as cut and dry as you're making it in my opinion - but that's just my opinion.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Can @marni1971 confirm any thing? like the great movie ride thing where he says its ganna happen?

I was hoping someone could confirm something (maybe @WDW1974) as well. It seemed we had people who have been great sources in the past saying PTN was going east and MSEP was headed west, but only half of it became true - unless we're expecting an announcement sometime soon? And @asianway I don't know if you can elaborate, but if you can on your post about the real reason this transfer is happening, I think we'd all be appreciative.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Yes, at the end of the day Disney is one company, but those segments and business units as a whole operate as independent organizations within the company. It's not as cut and dry as you're making it in my opinion - but that's just my opinion.
In general, day-to-day operations, you're 100% correct. But we've already established the fact that parades are something that can cross business units. Thus, if parades can cross business units in actual operations, of course the planning and budgeting for parades is something that can happen across business units.

RSoxNo1

Really? OK then. If you are the 1% that thinks that (along with the crazy idea Diagon Alley isn't the best themed land in Orlando) I'll be part of the 1% that isn't exactly a fan of PTN.

Dreamlights is by far the best nighttime parade ever done IMO.
Don't get me wrong, Dreamlights is a great parade too. This is just personal preference. I definitely understand why people like Dreamlights better than Paint the Night. What I don't understand are people that outright dislike Paint the Night.

VJ

I handn't listened to the Fantillusion score until today. I have to say the first few minutes sound like a marriage of Mike Post (best known for scoring 80's tv themes) and Fantasyland. As it went on it it got better and better. Very timeless with beautiful orchestration and very fitting for a castle park. Nice!
Disney's Fantillusion was composed/arranged by Bruce Healey (also composed Fantasmic! at Disneyland and Walt Disney World), one of my personal favorite composers. Fantillusion as a whole is one of my favorites.

GiveMeTheMusic

In general, day-to-day operations, you're 100% correct. But we've already established the fact that parades are something that can cross business units. Thus, if parades can cross business units in actual operations, of course the planning and budgeting for parades is something that can happen across business units.

It can, but it doesn't - at least it hasn't so far. WDW was not involved in the creation, planning or funding for PTN, so the point is moot.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
It can, but it doesn't - at least it hasn't so far. WDW was not involved in the creation, planning or funding for PTN, so the point is moot.
Are you trying to tell me that Disneyland unilaterally made the decision that they want MSEP back and foisted that decision upon WDW without any input from Kalogridis and his team?

GiveMeTheMusic

Are you trying to tell me that Disneyland unilaterally made the decision that they want MSEP back and foisted that decision upon WDW without any input from Kalogridis and his team?

No, I'm saying Paint the Night was paid for and developed by Hong Kong Disneyland and Disneyland for those respective parks. Walt Disney World was not involved in any way. Your theory that WDW paid for the parade and "lent" it to DLR for the 60th, while interesting, is just not so.

The MSEP decision would have transcended just Colglazier and Kalogridis and likely involved Chapek, as it leaves WDW with a void that needs to be filled.

Disney Analyst

I wonder if this has to do with One Disney ending? Maybe now that Disneyland has more independance someone up the chain was like "Give us our parade back, now", Even though we didn't really need it. Maybe after the Paint the Night backlash they thought "We need to refurb Paint the Night but we can hold out until the new year to avoid more fan backlash, we will keep it going during the Holidays, go into refurb, and then run MSEP? This will result in less angry people due to lack of Fantasmic etc." One can hope this is the mindset...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom