Paint the night is not moving to Disney World. Stop bumping this.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
No, I'm saying Paint the Night was paid for and developed by Hong Kong Disneyland and Disneyland for those respective parks. Walt Disney World was not involved in any way. Your theory that WDW paid for the parade and "lent" it to DLR for the 60th, while interesting, is just not so.

The MSEP decision would have transcended just Colglazier and Kalogridis and likely involved Chapek, as it leaves WDW with a void that needs to be filled.
I'm certain I never used the words "paid for," since such a term is relatively meaningless in a company like Disney. Corporate controls the cash and CapEx is approved on a project basis, not a P&L basis.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
How much do you want to bet that MSEP gets the upgrades it SHOULD have gotten years ago at WDW before it starts up again at DL. Meantime back at WDW which will probably NEVER see another night time electrical parade, Just another cut in the #YearOfAMillionCuts

GiveMeTheMusic

I'm certain I never used the words "paid for," since such a term is relatively meaningless in a company like Disney. Corporate controls the cash and CapEx is approved on a project basis, not a P&L basis.

It's not meaningless at Disney. Each resort "buys" attractions and parades from their own budgets, which are approved and set by corporate. If WDW wants a new parade, they have to buy it from WDI with money from their budget. HKDL paid for the development of PTN and their copy of the parade. TDA paid for DL's copy and the additional development needed for new floats. That's how the empire is set up.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's not meaningless at Disney. Each resort "buys" attractions and parades from their own budgets, which are approved by corporate. If WDW wants a new parade, they have to buy it from WDI with money from their budget. HKDL paid for the development of PTN and their copy of the parade. TDA paid for DL's copy and the additional development needed for new floats. If WDW wants a new parade, they will have to pay WDI for one. That's how the empire is set up.

And because WDW has to PAY for one that's the reason we will never see another nighttime parade at WDW as no one's getting a bonus for INCREASING park OPEX.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
It's not meaningless at Disney. Each resort "buys" attractions and parades from their own budgets, which are approved and set by corporate. If WDW wants a new parade, they have to buy it from WDI with money from their budget. HKDL paid for the development of PTN and their copy of the parade. TDA paid for DL's copy and the additional development needed for new floats. That's how the empire is set up.
I understand how the bookkeeping works, I'm talking about how decisions are made. Everything you're talking about is irrelevant paper-shuffling because inter-company transactions are eliminated when financial statements are consolidated for reporting purposes. This isn't anything unique to Disney, it's how corporate parents consolidate their subsidiaries by law. So yes, various departments within the company operate as quasi-independent fiefdoms, but centralized management exists to guide decisions towards what's in the best interest of the company if independent BU incentives are not aligned.

GiveMeTheMusic

I understand how the bookkeeping works, I'm talking about how decisions are made. Everything you're talking about is irrelevant paper-shuffling because inter-company transactions are eliminated when financial statements are consolidated for reporting purposes. This isn't anything unique to Disney, it's how corporate parents consolidate their subsidiaries by law. So yes, various departments within the company operate as quasi-independent fiefdoms, but centralized management exists to guide decisions towards what's in the best interest of the company if independent BU incentives are not aligned.

Great. But that doesn't mean WDW had anything to do with PTN in the first place. It didn't. If PTN goes to WDW now, it won't be because it was planned that way all along.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Great. But that doesn't mean WDW had anything to do with PTN in the first place. It didn't. If PTN goes to WDW now, it won't be because it was planned that way all along.

AND if it goes, it's because WDW has agreed to pay for the transfer/upkeep out of their OPEX budget - the company isn't going to mandate that TDA send it to the east coast for free. I get what @CaptainAmerica is trying to say, but considering I work in finance, it's not mindless paper shuffling as he claims. Budgets have to be met and while yes it all gets consolidated on a central balance sheet, each entity has to make their stated p/l goals and margins. I also was under the impression that Disney ditched the "One Disney" idea so now the parks more or less operate independently as long as they meet those stated goals from HQ.

RScottyL

Unfortunately, I read the news on here last night, and sad to hear that MSEP will be gone at WDW in October! I guess all good things must eventually come to an end! I am sure they will replace it with something just as good, if not better! I may have to sneak off to Disneyland sometime to see if one final time!

Last edited:

habuma

even more surprising, when it debuted in '77 that was supposed to be a temporary float 39 years later it's still one of the most popularunits in the parade.

It's certainly my favorite float in the parade (well...maybe tied with the drum that Mickey rides on). It irritates me endlessly everytime I watch the parade and someone behind me exclaims "Ooh! Look! It's Puff the Magic Dragon!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom