Paint the night is not moving to Disney World. Stop bumping this.

lazyboy97o

do we switch stuff with tokyo? since disney doesn't officially own it?
It would be purchased. Even Disney itself is composed on many separate subsidiaries and they have to purchase from one another, they don't share like a family.

Also, although Toyko is owned and operated by themselves and not Disney, do they have to get Disney's okay when creating a new attraction or anything? Kinda like to uphold character standards? Or are they just free to do as they wish
Oriental Land Company must hire Disney to do the design work and Disney must approve of everything. This is pry of what has strained the relationship. Using the contracts that dictate certain types of service and operations (that were exceeded almost immediately) Disney for many years got the Oriental Land Company to pour millions into their coffers. They are tired of paying for the development of the US parks because Disney is too cheap all while still droning on about how they are "teaching" them the "Disney Way" long abandoned in the States.

If Disney kept the parade back stage for at least a few more years they would have gotten a chance to refurb it. Especially after the amount of money Frozen has made since late 2013.
They had the chance and they passed.

montyz81

Sad to see it go! This is by far the best nighttime show at any Disney park. All the rest just tried to copy, IMO. I do understand why it is going though.

Likely a Frozen/StarWars/GoTG electrical show will replace it.

Ag11gani

Oriental Land Company must hire Disney to do the design work and Disney must approve of everything. This is pry of what has strained the relationship. Using the contracts that dictate certain types of service and operations (that were exceeded almost immediately) Disney for many years got the Oriental Land Company to pour millions into their coffers. They are tired of paying for the development of the US parks because Disney is too cheap all while still droning on about how they are "teaching" them the "Disney Way" long abandoned in the States.

So basically for a while OLC was paying for the development of the US parks. Will there ever be a falling out of the two companies, I'm assuming Disney has the upper hand so what would happen to the parks?

CJR

Anyone know which park (MK or DL) benefits more financially from nighttime entertainment?

At the moment, DL has more need for nighttime entertainment. If Fantasmic! were running, it wouldn't be as big of a need, but since it's down for now, the parade is absolutely helping them during peak times.

ToTBellHop

My understanding is that there will be some temporary entertainment added during the evening this fall until a more permanent solution arrives in 2017. They do not plan to merely show nothing from dusk until Wishes plays at 10 pm this fall.

Whether or not we view the temporary replacement as a suitable replacement for MSEP is a different subject altogether. I think the long-term plan is fine.

I'm not sure why they didn't put out a full press release sharing plans for DL and WDW. It is as though they like angering their fans (who they insist plan today for their February vacations while Disney hasn't finalized nighttime entertainment plans for October in three of its four parks. All we know is that IllumiNations will play at 9. Except for when it plays at 10).

WildcatDen

It wasn't originally budgeted to happen for a few years yet.

If what's happened this week adds to the existing call to accelerate the plan I don't know.
Serpico had mentioned to me that a change would happen prior to the end of the year and that MSEP would be going back to DL. It was not mentioned what the 'new' offering would be for the MK, but with all the recent talk and your comments on this moving closer to the 50th, I assumed Serpico was wrong, maybe I assumed wrong?

jrhwdw

Forgive me, I know “The Past Is in the Past” but as I listened and watched Spectro this morning, I can’t help but to repeat what I’ve said before. This may have been preventable (Then again, who knows if Spectro was going to last another 6 years). All DL had to and should have done was just move DEP from DCA to DL when WOC opened! As much as MSEP looks awesome in MK, we didn’t need it We had Spectro. DL needed it more and it would have been a nice 55th treat for DL, as it just had C!ASP since they canned POD 1.5 years earlier! Again who knows how long Spectro's lifespan was if it stayed on MS but maybe we wouldn’t have this problem now!

Thoughts?

jrhwdw

My understanding is that there will be some temporary entertainment added during the evening this fall until a more permanent solution arrives in 2017. They do not plan to merely show nothing from dusk until Wishes plays at 10 pm this fall.

Whether or not we view the temporary replacement as a suitable replacement for MSEP is a different subject altogether. I think the long-term plan is fine.

I'm not sure why they didn't put out a full press release sharing plans for DL and WDW. It is as though they like angering their fans (who they insist plan today for their February vacations while Disney hasn't finalized nighttime entertainment plans for October in three of its four parks. All we know is that IllumiNations will play at 9. Except for when it plays at 10).
Hopefully it's not more Move It. I'll take more FOF, MRFF over that! Or is it something new?

ToTBellHop

Forgive me, I know “The Past Is in the Past” but as I listened and watched Spectro this morning, I can’t help but to repeat what I’ve said before. This may have been preventable (Then again, who knows if Spectro was going to last another 6 years). All DL had to and should have done was just move DEP from DCA to DL when WOC opened! As much as MSEP looks awesome in MK, we didn’t need it We had Spectro. DL needed it more and it would have been a nice 55th treat for DL, as it just had C!ASP since they canned POD 1.5 years earlier! Again who knows how long Spectro's lifespan was if it stayed on MS but maybe we wouldn’t have this problem now!

Thoughts?
My thought is that the point is entirely moot and that hindsight is 20/20.

We will have neither MSEP nor Spectro next year, so...

ToTBellHop

Hopefully it's not more Move It. I'll take more FOF, MRFF over that! Or is it something new?
Long-term, I'm struggling to hammer down the answer.

But here are two answers to your multiple-choice question.

A) A hand-me-down from elsewhere that could come early in 2017.
B) A brand-new parade coming later in 2017 that has bumped Wishes 2.0 to 2021 (which, as I understand it, was to come sooner than the 50th).

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Here's my problem. I'm usually a huge defender of the 180 day dining window and 60 day Fastpass window. I don't consider either one an inconvenience and I enjoy planning my Disney vacations. However, all of that is irrelevant when they pull crap like this and make major changes to park hours and entertainment schedules well within people's planning windows. Last trip, I was less than 60 days out from the original planned RoL opening date before they decided to delay it. Now, I have no idea what the nighttime schedule will be like for Magic Kingdom for my January trip. Extremely frustrating.

ToTBellHop

Here's my problem. I'm usually a huge defender of the 180 day dining window and 60 day Fastpass window. I don't consider either one an inconvenience and I enjoy planning my Disney vacations. However, all of that is irrelevant when they pull crap like this and make major changes to park hours and entertainment schedules well within people's planning windows. Last trip, I was less than 60 days out from the original planned RoL opening date before they decided to delay it. Now, I have no idea what the nighttime schedule will be like for Magic Kingdom for my January trip. Extremely frustrating.
You have no idea what nighttimes will look like at MK, DAK, or DHS in January.

But, you had better know if you want Italian or Mexican on a Tuesday in January.

Hula Popper

Some thoughts triggered by this discussion....
  • Maybe it's just rank nostalgia, but if we were to tolerate a misuse of the word "tragedy" to characterize particularly disappointing losses or changes to Disney theme park attractions and entertainment, for me, the loss of SpectroMagic would be right in the mix for the worst of such tragedies.
  • I'm not particularly disappointed about the loss of MSEP specifically, but whether it's Paint the Night or something new, the MK must have a worthy nighttime parade.
  • To the extent there is Disney "magic", parades have been one of the biggest parts of it for me.
    • Saw SpectroMagic during my first visit to WDW two decades ago with my then-girlfriend and now wife, and that night watching the parade has been one of the most vividly lasting memories of the trip.
    • More recently, on a family trip during a fall break when I had been buried with work, and we got up super early to fly down, and none of us had much sleep the night before, and were hot and tired and grumpy, but trudged out to MK after checking in, one of the first things we did was see the Festival of Fantasy parade, and Snow White and the Mad Hatter came over to our three girls and interacted directly with them - one of them had a Snow White dress on - the look on our kids' faces was priceless and instantly fixed everything.
    • Later that same trip, another memory I'll (hopefully) never forget - our two youngest kids sitting together anticipating the start of the Boo to You parade bouncing side to side and singing along to the music with arms interlocked. Yes, it may have helped contribute to the upcharge/special ticket madness, but that Halloween parade is something else - from the Headless Horseman, to the Haunted Mansion dancers, to the music, to the costumed characters, and the electricity in the air.....it's tough to beat.
  • re: the Guest Relations Q/A: apparently "guest relations" is not about serving guests, but taming guests as if they were puppies that needed to be trained. But hey, so many people are willing to accept that type of disdainful attitude from the politicians we keep electing, so why shouldn't others like Disney take advantage of it as well!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom