Out with the Vikings, in with princess

Matt_Black

Well Tangled was awesome, the greatest movie ever. Wreck-it Ralph was quality too. I think we might be in with a real winner with Frozen, and a commercial succes too.

But oh the irony that that might be bad news for us Disney lovers!!

You know, aside from the Ralph and Vanellope meet & greets, I don't expect they'll do much for Wreck-it Ralph in the parks, and the meets will probably die off soon too. If it doesn't have a Disney Princess or a character that moves HUGE amounts of plush, then it doesn't matter how successful the movie is, it's not going to get much in the parks long term. Look at Tarzan or Hunchback.

aw14

This isn't a religious issue folks, so let's keep it out. As it seems those who are bringing it up have no clue about Christian history either.

JerseyDad

Why all the hate? My two daughter dearests love meeting the princesses. This will be a fun addition to the Norway pavilion. Besides, who goes on vacation to see educational garbage?? I mean, how boring to walk through a room and look at historical nonsense. Disney is about princess and fantasy and making your dreams come true and princesses and happiness sparkles. Princess! If I wanted my offspring to learn about a bunch of dead peoples from some foreigner country, I'd enroll them in another history class rather than spending all the $$$$ for a Disney vacation.

....for a moment ....seriously ...I could have sworn that was my sister-in-law speaking!! AND SHE'S (allegedly) A TEACHER!!! ANYTHING at WDW ....that remotely smells like it could be educational (ie: Hall of Presidents, Living With the Land, Spaceship Earth, Ellen's Energy Adventure, etc) ....and she told her kids, "Oh, it's educational? ...we / they don't want to do that".

....last year was their first trip to WDW and we were their personal tour guides. But when they had opportunities to go to / see anything that might have an educational smell to it ...she uttered her tag-line, "Oh, it's educational? ...we / they don't want to do that".

Last edited:

pixargal

I would be very disappointed if it was converted to a meet and greet, or princess display. This is one of the examples of the hidden gems at Disney. We always walked past it not knowing what was inside, and then one day just decided to go in. What a nice surprise! My son was also fortunate to play in the Viking boat when he was young. We were really sad to see that roped off. It gave the adults a chance to sit and drink the margarita from Mexico while the kids burned off some energy.

aw14

As someone who's name can be traced back to Norse lineage, this is sad. Overall I absolutely adore all things Disney, but taking away pone of the last bastions of historical information at the parks is disappointing.

Maerj

I love Donald Duck, he's my all-time favourite Disney character. I also love the Rio Del Tiempo, a lovely little boat ride, a warm, sympathetic mix between Small World and If You Had Wings.

I hate the combination. I hate it with a passion.

'The History of Mexico Told Through Dance' :cat:
--->
'Donald's gone missing and Panchito needs YOU to find him!! Oh, and your finding him will consist of you sitting passively in a boat staring at a cartoon on tv as if you were at home' :grumpy:

Really, they took out anything educational/informational about Mexico. It's just "Where's Donald?" every two seconds. I'm not against having characters in the attractions and in this case the characters make sense since they had the two movies which explored South America. But to give the ride more substance, when they ask where's Donald, they could have a narrator say "Oh this time Donald is in..." The kids would still have lively animations and might still gain some knowledge about the country the ride is actually supposed to be about.

Theodore

Really, they took out anything educational/informational about Mexico. It's just "Where's Donald?" every two seconds. I'm not against having characters in the attractions and in this case the characters make sense since they had the two movies which explored South America. But to give the ride more substance, when they ask where's Donald, they could have a narrator say "Oh this time Donald is in..." The kids would still have lively animations and might still gain some knowledge about the country the ride is actually supposed to be about.

Have to agree that ride was awesome when I was a kid (always loved history) and now it's just some nonsensical Three Cabaleros ride.

dhall

Man, the Mexico boat ride is getting A LOT of hate. I love it, but then I've always been a bit partial to The Three Caballeros and generally anything featuring Donald Duck.

And regarding the Japan exhibit? Bear in mind that the next animated feature draws heavily on Japanese culture, but since it's based on Marvel, it might be covered under the Universal contract.

As I remember descriptions of the fine print, I don't think that'll be an issue. Universal got to use pretty much anything they wanted from the Marvel catalog, and they get a perpetual license for theme park use of the characters they actually used and any associated characters. They happily grabbed all of the most widely known franchises, locking up most everyone you might have heard of.

After the purchase, Disney can't use anyone Universal is using, or anyone strongly associated with characters Universal is using, but Universal isn't using everyone in the catalog. One of Disney's expected moves at the time of the acquisition was to attempt to raise the profile of some of the C- & D- list characters in order to make use of them without having to worry about Universal's license.

FigmentJedi

I don't mind the Three Caballeros overlay in Mexico seeing as the third act of that movie and El Rio del Tiempo are at the core, basically the same thing: A surrealistic travelogue through Mexico.

Frozen in Norway on the other hand is continuing the narrative of that production of Consumer Products demanding more princesses to fill the quota and screwing up a perfectly good fairy tale that wasn't about a princess in the process. The film might turn out okay from the sounds of leaks, but it still seems like the most blatantly commercial thing Disney's done with their animation department in a while. Expanding the Princess Presence in Norway to a point where it becomes detrimental to actual cultural content of the pavilion is a terrible thing to see.

aladdin2007

I don't mind the Three Caballeros overlay in Mexico seeing as the third act of that movie and El Rio del Tiempo are at the core, basically the same thing: A surrealistic travelogue through Mexico.

Frozen in Norway on the other hand is continuing the narrative of that production of Consumer Products demanding more princesses to fill the quota and screwing up a perfectly good fairy tale that wasn't about a princess in the process. The film might turn out okay from the sounds of leaks, but it still seems like the most blatantly commercial thing Disney's done with their animation department in a while. Expanding the Princess Presence in Norway to a point where it becomes detrimental to actual cultural content of the pavilion is a terrible thing to see.

Okay how do I like this as a favorite post a thousand times and then some.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom