Out with the Vikings, in with princess

Matt_Black

As I remember descriptions of the fine print, I don't think that'll be an issue. Universal got to use pretty much anything they wanted from the Marvel catalog, and they get a perpetual license for theme park use of the characters they actually used and any associated characters. They happily grabbed all of the most widely known franchises, locking up most everyone you might have heard of.

After the purchase, Disney can't use anyone Universal is using, or anyone strongly associated with characters Universal is using, but Universal isn't using everyone in the catalog. One of Disney's expected moves at the time of the acquisition was to attempt to raise the profile of some of the C- & D- list characters in order to make use of them without having to worry about Universal's license.

Yeah, I read that in the contract. I don't believe Universal is using or ever has used BH6 since they're a relatively new and not-too-well known property, and I don't see them using it in the future ("Let's advertise a competitor's big holiday film!"), and the only property it's tied in with is the X-Men, and the X-Men ties will be cut from the movie version most likely so as not to upset Fox, who currently holds the X-Men film rights (Disney is playing as nice as possible with Fox in regards to Marvel rights as they'd like to get back some characters, most notably the FF). So, there's an outside chance we might see them.

The Empress Lilly

I believe it was an exhibit about the history of stave churches (go figure...).
I enjoy that sort of exhibit. Stave churches are fantastic, and uniquely Norwegian. Alas, architecture is one level too deep for 2000's Disney, so it had to be replaced by Vikings, who are attractive because they kill and rape. But even this aspect of Norwegian history is too much for 2010's audience, who want real or cartoon celebs everywhere, all of the time.

Or is that just Disney's marketing, appreciated by only a minority of guests? Maybe there are a lot of us, responsible middle class families who would pay a killing to any company that manages the feat of making the educational fun and the fun educational. Maybe we should raise our voices more, we are driven out by and for the Honeybooboo crowd which is taking over Disney, dragging it ever further down the cultural ladder. Disney marketing injects cartoons everywhere, this lowers the cultural sophistication of WDW, which means it attracts persons of lower cultural taste, to whom Disney then caters by lowering its cultural standard even further. It's a vicious circle

And bring back the Viking ship.

The Empress Lilly

Really, they took out anything educational/informational about Mexico. It's just "Where's Donald?" every two seconds. I'm not against having characters in the attractions and in this case the characters make sense since they had the two movies which explored South America. But to give the ride more substance, when they ask where's Donald, they could have a narrator say "Oh this time Donald is in..." The kids would still have lively animations and might still gain some knowledge about the country the ride is actually supposed to be about.
Mwah, me I'd rather not have toons in Mexico to begin with. Mexican culture deserves its own presentation.

I also appreciate Benjamin Franklin and Mark Twain narrating the show about America, instead of Goofy and Stitch.

'Yo, Goof, watch me burp chili dog in Gettysburg!'
'Ah gosh, Stitch, that's swell, hoo hoo hoo!'

GiveMeTheMusic

Sorry, the last nail in Norway's coffin came when Akershus became a 24 hour princess sorority (a move that to this day, defies all kinds of logic). I love tripping over 4 year olds in fluffy sweatshop-made Cinderella dresses on my way to Maelstrom!

I'm ambivalent about this change - Frozen is actually set in a fictional kingdom that STRONGLY resembles Norway and could be construed to be part of it in one of those fuzzy Andalusia/Monaco situations. That said, with all the effing space they have at WDW, would it have killed someone to build a new location for the girls?

Matt_Black

Mwah, me I'd rather not have toons in Mexico to begin with. Mexican culture deserves its own presentation.

I also appreciate Benjamin Franklin and Mark Twain narrating the show about America, instead of Goofy and Stitch.

'Yo, Goof, watch me burp chili dog in Gettysburg!'
'Ah gosh, Stitch, that's swell, hoo hoo hoo!'

Ben Franklin IS a Disney cartoon character. Proof.

aeillill

That's too bad, I really love the mini-museums Epcot has and I wish all the countries had them. Hopefully it's just a temporary thing while they prepare a new exhibit

aw14

I enjoy that sort of exhibit. Stave churches are fantastic, and uniquely Norwegian. Alas, architecture is one level too deep for 2000's Disney, so it had to be replaced by Vikings, who are attractive because they kill and rape. But even this aspect of Norwegian history is too much for 2010's audience, who want real or cartoon celebs everywhere, all of the time.

Or is that just Disney's marketing, appreciated by only a minority of guests? Maybe there are a lot of us, responsible middle class families who would pay a killing to any company that manages the feat of making the educational fun and the fun educational. Maybe we should raise our voices more, we are driven out by and for the Honeybooboo crowd which is taking over Disney, dragging it ever further down the cultural ladder. Disney marketing injects cartoons everywhere, this lowers the cultural sophistication of WDW, which means it attracts persons of lower cultural taste, to whom Disney then caters by lowering its cultural standard even further. It's a vicious circle

And bring back the Viking ship.
There is much more to Norse history. However this seems to be all people care about. So sad

YunaB17

I think Frozen should be given a lot more credit than it is. Frozen isn't just being placed into Norway because it's a princess movie with snow, the movie is heavily based on Norwegian culture. The filmakers have done a ton of research into Norwegian culture,mythology, geography, animals, and indgenous people for this film. I've learned a ton about Norway just from following the news about Frozen and how it was developed. I know some people don't like characters in Epcot, but this is not just any old princess movie being shoved in Norway.

awoogala

So three days ago the Stave church at Norway in Epcot got closed down and all signs of there being a viking exhibit in there is now gone. It seems like Disney is putting the Princess Anna from Frozen into the stavechurch instead of the gift shop. This means the end of the authentic Norwegian viking exhibit thats been there for about 10 years.
OH NO! We love the Viking exhibit! I am so upset. That stinks.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Sorry, the last nail in Norway's coffin came when Akershus became a 24 hour princess sorority (a move that to this day, defies all kinds of logic). I love tripping over 4 year olds in fluffy sweatshop-made Cinderella dresses on my way to Maelstrom!

I'm ambivalent about this change - Frozen is actually set in a fictional kingdom that STRONGLY resembles Norway and could be construed to be part of it in one of those fuzzy Andalusia/Monaco situations. That said, with all the effing space they have at WDW, would it have killed someone to build a new location for the girls?
Not sure why they picked Akershus for the princess meal especially with Belle hosting it.

Cmdr_Crimson

Frozen in Norway on the other hand is continuing the narrative of that production of Consumer Products demanding more princesses to fill the quota and screwing up a perfectly good fairy tale that wasn't about a princess in the process. The film might turn out okay from the sounds of leaks, but it still seems like the most blatantly commercial thing Disney's done with their animation department in a while. Expanding the Princess Presence in Norway to a point where it becomes detrimental to actual cultural content of the pavilion is a terrible thing to see.

What about Brother Bear a few years ago? I'm not sure if they were canadian indians (but bears) but, the only thing that was canadian in the film were Rutt & Turk the moose's. It seemed strange they had Koda and Kenai doing M&G's there before they were pulled.

GiveMeTheMusic

Not sure why they picked Akershus for the princess meal especially with Belle hosting it.

I guess no one could justify using San Angel Inn. It's solely for the purpose of alleviating CRT traffic and I get that the demand is there - but it sucks. I'll never get to eat at Akershus again unless Disney casts me as Ariel, which at this stage in the stretchmark game is unlikely.

awoogala

I don't care about throwing a little m&g here and there- Alice and Mary Poppins by England, Belle and Beast by France, but this is absurd.

aladdin2007

I think Frozen should be given a lot more credit than it is. Frozen isn't just being placed into Norway because it's a princess movie with snow, the movie is heavily based on Norwegian culture. The filmakers have done a ton of research into Norwegian culture,mythology, geography, animals, and indgenous people for this film. I've learned a ton about Norway just from following the news about Frozen and how it was developed. I know some people don't like characters in Epcot, but this is not just any old princess movie being shoved in Norway.

That is a valid point, at least it fits unlike the characters at the akershus zoo feedings. But its also the continuing of cartoonizing Epcot and out with a historical/cultural focus. I dont have a problem myself with the Frozen characters appearing at the pavilion, but it should be over where the viking playground was in a makeshift area of some kind. Now were going to have lines encircling the stave church and even more stroller chaos.

Norway Pavilion now becomes the Princess Pavilion (please Norwegian government come back and save the place)
and Epcot becomes Tooncot.

aladdin2007

This!! wouldnt even have to build it, The Odyssy is sitting over there.

FigmentJedi

What about Brother Bear a few years ago? I'm not sure if they were canadian indians (but bears) but, the only thing that was canadian in the film were Rutt & Turk the moose's. It seemed strange they had Koda and Kenai doing M&G's there before they were pulled.
I believe Brother Bear is specifically Alaska set, but there's probably enough of an overlap of Inuit culture between Alaska and the northwestern portions of Canada that you could buy the idea of putting the bears in Canada.

Plus you know, it's not like Kenai and Koda's meet and greet replaced an exhibit or something, but rather it was outside and didn't really have a fancy set up. You know, like most of the World Showcase character greets. And even the ones that put up something a little more permanent blend into the surroundings pretty well and are outdoors like the ruins the Caballeros meet at or the wishing well in Germany for Snow White and they don't really come at the expense of exhibit space. Usually when they do meet and greet stations indoors, it's either in a sectioned off-part of a gift shop like Pooh in the UK or the Aladdin guys in Morocco, or that tiny backdrop for Mulan in the Circlevision Lobby that doesn't intrude too much on the rest of that space's functions.

Last edited:

AdventureHasAName

I'm not against having characters in the attractions and in this case the characters make sense since they had the two movies which explored South America.

Even that bothers me ... why would characters from a movie about South America be considered appropriate themeing for a Mexico pavilion?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom