Our Birthday Celebration Trip Report!! April/May 2011

So here I am, sitting here writing my very first trip report after my visit to the world. Let's start of with the cast of characters that embarked on this vacation.
First there's me.

DSC06282-1.jpg

I'm Darolyn, 28 years old. I've been to WDW 22 times now. My parents took me on my first trip when I was months old and we returned evey year until I was in 7th grade. After that, my parents separated and it was harder for us to go every year. Since 7th grade, I have been 10 times. In 2001, my Mom purchased a timeshare at Vistana. She only purchased it for every other year, thinking that as we grew older we wouldn't want to go to Disney as much.... boy was she wrong! lol We still enjoy Disney as much as we ever have! So much in fact, she is thinking of upgrading to every year. This does mean we will never be able to take our weeklong vacations and stay on property, but not worrying about saving money for the hotel is a plus for us. So we'll take the timeshare :)
Speaking of Mom, here she is.

DSC06411.jpg

Her name is Terryn and she turned "29 again" the day we arrived in Florida. This was her 23rd trip to the World. Her first time going to WDW was when she took me when I was a baby. She loves it just as much as we do. She not really into the "thrill rides" but I will give her credit as this year she did go on some rides she normally wouldn't (mostly at Universal) so kudos to Mama :)
Then there's my sister:

DSC06444-1-1.jpg

Her name is Ashley and she is 25. This was her 19th trip to the world. She has a few less visits than me due to the fact she is A - younger and B - She didn't join us on our Thanksgiving trips in 2001 and 2010.
We had a week full of great food, fun meet and greets, beautiful weather, low crowds, short wait times, thrills, smiles and laughter. So sit back, relax, pop open a beverage or two and enjoy reliving our trip to Walt Disney World :)

***Friday April 29, 2011***
After work on Friday, we were heading down to my aunts house in Rhode Island to fly out of Providence Saturday morning. Why Providence you ask? Well, we have 4 different airports to choose from up here.. We have Portland Jetport, which is a mile from our house but didnt have anything less than $300 roundtrip. UGH!... We also have family right outside Manchester, NH so Manchester is an option as well (but Southwest was even more expensive than anything out of Portland) We also have Boston, but that would require a bus ride and a hotel stay the night before since we wanted a very early AM flight and they were still about the same price as Portland.... But Providence had a GREAT rate of $167 roundtrip with good connection times. Plus we have family in Rhode Island who we dont get to see all that often so we'd get to spend some time with them and we were willing to spend 3 hours down and 3 hours back to save $133 each! :) So at 7pm we hopped into the car for a 3 hour car ride to Rhode Island.. Oh, with a stop at Sonic along the way :) The closest Sonic to us happens to be right outside Boston on the way to my aunts, a little over an hour from our house. So of course, we had to make a stop! We got to my aunts around 10:30pm and immediately went to bed as we had to be at the airport by 5:15 the next morning. So my sister and I climbed into the futon and got as much sleep as one can possibly get the night before leaving for WDW :)

***Saturday April 30 2011***Mama's Birthday***

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Just joining in and need to catch up, but I did read about day 1 and it looks very fun. Kona and Ohana are both places I would like to try in the future. I always hear great things about the Kona breakfast too.
I'm loving you Condo....it looks so roomy and nice.

The condo really was gorgeous. I suppose we didn't really NEED a 2 bedroom, but my mom owns a 2 bedroom unit and they had one available so we took it... It was perfect having 2 bathrooms so we could all get ready in the morning at our own pace! :)

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
MK continued....

The journey to MK from Epcot on the monorail was uneventful.. It was nice and relaxing though. Sadly, we didn't get to ride the Tronorail and actually... We hadn't seen the Tronorail loop Epcot at all while we were there.. Maybe we just missed it though. When we got off the monorail to transfer to the ferry I asked the attendant and he told me the Tronorail was "acting up" today so it was given a "time out" haha.. That's a good way to put it!!

We decided to take the ferry over rather than the monorail. I love looking at the resorts from the middle of the Seven Seas Lagoon. They're all so beautiful! When we got into MK, we decided to get FP for the Princess meet and greets. I don't remember the exact wait time right then, but it was about half an hour. Then we decided to head over to Frontierland and we thought the train might be a nice change of pace. When we got to Frontierland. We hopped on BTMRR and this time Mama joined us. Not a walk on but only about a 10-15 minute wait. We then grabbed FP for Splash Mountain and then headed over to hit PotC and met Angelica when we got off the ride.

DSC06965.jpg

We then walked around a couple shops in Caribbean Plaza and I was on the lookout for Aladdin and Jasmine but they were not out. We decided to then head to HM and ride that. Always a fun time!! The ghosts at the end swapped my sisters and my heads lol I think the new hitchhiking ghosts are GREAT!! After that we scooped up FP for Peter Pans Flight since we were right close by there.

(I just noticed I have like zero pictures from this afternoon... No bueno!!)

Anywho, after that, Mama wanted to see Hall Of Presidents. When we got there, there was a 20 minute wait and I decided I didn't want to wait since we still had lots to see and not a ton of time. Mama told us to go ahead and use the FP for Splash and she would skip it to go to HoP. We agreed and headed over to Splash. Now, I was wearing a brand new blue short jumpsuit thing (as you can see in the pics) and it was made of almost a silky, velvety material.. Rayon maybe? I dont know... Anyways, I hadn't washed it yet and it seemed like it would be the type of material to run if it got soaked. So I put on my trusty hoodie, zipped it all the way up, threw on the hood and prayed for a backseat!! Prayers were answered and we got the last row... Just my luck, we didn't get very wet and crisis was averted. I'd hate to have to walk around MK the rest of the day looking like a giant blueberry!!!

We met back up with Mama and headed over to Fantasyland to use our FP for Peter Pan.... That queue is in dire need of an update!! It's sooooo boring!! Hopefully with Disney making the new restrooms, when they do expand the queue it will go the way of Pooh and get some sort of upgrade/interactive stuff! The one thing I do like is the music. I actually used that exact queue music back in 2003 when I used to teach dance classes for my 2 and 3 years olds ballet dance. They were so cute in their mint green tutus!! lol :)

Anywho, PPF was cute as always and after that we proceeded to get FP for Pooh.

DSC06967.jpg

We then walked over to the walls that were blocking off the new FL expansion construction. There were some neat pics on the walls describing all the new things coming. Made me exciting to see it starting to come together!! I got some glazed almonds (yummy!!) and we headed over to Tomorrowland and decided to hit up Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. None of us had seen it before and we LOVED it!! Both my sister and my jokes were read outloud. After leaving MILF, we were able to get FP for Space Mtn and were just about to take in the Peoplemover when it started to rain. It was light at first and then it picked up. We ducked in line for the Peoplemover as did a bunch of other people... We figured a nice spin around Tomorrowland while the rain passed through would be nice... Unfortunately, they were having issues with the ride and no one in the line wasn't being let through to get on the escalator up to the boarding area. So we decided to run over to Buzz and play with some lasers. I was the champ (again!!!) and Mama lost. Her turn again for treats!!

After that we went and used our FP for Pooh and then decided it was time for some grub so we hit up Cosmic Rays for some delicious Disney dinner. I got the chili dog and I'm not sure what Mama and Ashley got as I forgot to take pics!! Shame on me, I know, right? I was the last one to arrive at the table and my mother told me that when she sat down, the group that was sitting beside us got up and left and when she looked over at their table, it was littered with napkins, soda cups, trays, trash etc... A huge pile or trash... They just left it there!!! Now I understand that they do have CM's to come over and clean up messes, etc but they ARE NOT there to clear your table and throw your trash away. Cosmic Rays is COUNTER SERVICE, not TABLE SERVICE which means you get your own food and clean up your own messes. It really bothers me when people do this. It's just pure laziness and rude to leave your junk all over the table!!! I was pretty angry at this (not sure why cause there was nothing I could do about it) and just as I was about calmed down, the group of people at the table on the other side of the messy table tossed a bunch of their trash onto it!! UGH!! Why? Why are people so lazy that they cant throw their own trash away?!? Ahhhhhhhh!!!!

OK, enough of my ranting, after eating it was a little before 7 oclock. MESP was at 8 and we still had Space FP and we realized we never used the Princess meet and greet FP from earlier. We headed over to Space while Mama headed to Main Street to get spots for the parade. We enjoyed Space Mtn for the last time this trip (boooooo!!) and then when we got done, we texted Mom to see where she was. She texted us that she was standing in the hub and could not get seats down on the curb for the parade... Whaaaaat?! NOT OK! We NEVER stand during the parade. EVER. We NEVER have. I had assumed getting there an hour early would be ok.. Guess not!! Well, I sure wasn't going to stand around for 45 minutes and wait so Ashley and I headed down to use our Princess FP. When we got there, the guy told us the Princesses would need to take a break soon so it might be a little wait. Great!!!! We probably wouldn't even make it back in time for the parade. So we began to wait..... and waiting for me isn't fun. I am soooo impatient!! However, we had only been waiting about 5 mins before he came out and led the next group in! YAY!! That was us!! I even got a Cinderella sticker while we were waiting (which I lost a little while later)

DSC06968.jpg

DSC06969.jpg

Aurora told me her Aunt Merriweathers favorite color is blue and that she would love my outfit lol

DSC06970.jpg

Not really sure what Belle is looking at but it's clearly not the camera..

DSC06971.jpg

She's not looking her either... LOOK AT THE CAMERA BELLE!!!

DSC06972.jpg

DSC06973.jpg

We left the meet and greet just as the parade was starting.. We hustled up Main Street and found Mama. For the first time ever, I enjoyed a Disney parade standing up. Since it was just MSEP, it was fine I guess. If it had been Spectro it would have been unacceptable since Spectro is my favorite Disney parade, show, firework show, etc EVER!! Standing during Spectro simply would not do!! lol (OK, I sound very snotty there and that's soooo not me!! lol.. It was just different for us to stand for the parade.. Especially after our last trip in November when we caught Wishes at 9pm on Main Street and then immediately sat on the curb for the 10pm parade.. I think I like nights where there are 2 parades better!)

After MSEP we headed down towards the train station as Mama wanted to look around some of the shops. Ashley and I sat on the curb and watched MM&Y.. I was pleasantly surprised with this. I thought it was going to be super cheesy but it was neat. Not that we could tell if our picture was ever on the castle as we couldn't see them clear enough half way down Main Street. After that, Wishes started. Wishes is my favorite fireworks show.. I don't know what it is about it but everytime I watch Wishes, I get choked up and the waterworks start flowing. I try to hide it as best I can usually by wearing my glasses or even my sunglasses (at night lol) but sometimes to no avail. (When I watched Wishes in November with my family, I had just 3 days prior been in North Carolina visiting the guy I was seeing at the time and I missed him a lot. There was a couple next to us all lovey dovey cuddling during the fireworks. Needless to say seeing them, missing my man and watching Wishes made me burst into tears right there on Main Street. My family knew why but I'm sure other people around were questioning why this girl was a blubbering mess lol)

After Wishes we hopped the resort monorail and got off at the T&TC then hopped on the Epcot monorail to go get our car. As we went over the Epcot parking lot we could see out little red car waiting for us. We took a little loop around future world and it was kind of eerie seeing it all dark with no one around... We disembarked and walked to the car and headed home to hit the hay. Thursday was an off day for us but I had something big and important to do that day. What was so big and important you ask? Well, you'll find out when I post the next installment! :)

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Thursday 5/5 - Downtown Disney and my Disney audition..

We really didn't have anything planned for Thursday morning so we took the time to sleep in a little. We had a lunch reservation at Rainforest Cafe @ 12:30 and I had my Disney audition at 4pm... That right folks, I was auditioning for the Disney entertainment department!! Just a little background on me: I've done pageants off and on since I was 10, more so in the past 5 years. I did dance lessons for 15 years and competed regionally and nationally for 9 years. I've done everything: ballet, tap, jazz, modern, pointe.. I had auditioned for Disney once back in 2003 but didn't make it past the first round :( So I was hoping this time I would make it further! Clearly being front and center and in the spotlight doesn't bother me lol

Anyways, we headed to DTD around noon. We strolled through the marketplace and arrived right at 12:30 for our lunch. Forgive me but there are ZERO pictures from today. I guess I was so pre-occupied with the audition I forgot to take any!! Oops!!! For lunch we got the Chimi Cha Cha which is wonton skins with chicken, corn, black beans, red peppers and cheese... Soooo good!! For my meal I got the Planet Earth Pasta which had penne pasta with italian sausage, olive oil, garlic, roma tomatos and cheese. Also soooo good!! Our waiter was DJ and he was hilarious!! We've never had a bad meal before here, ever. I hate that our beloved RFC gets so much crap from people who don't like it!!! :( Don't worry, RFC, we LOVE you!!! :)

After lunch, we strolled back through the Marketplace and headed towards the car. I wanted to make sure I left the condo at 3:15 so I could get to the audition location early. I remembered how to get there from before (It was over by AK) We went back to the condo and I got dressed, got my things together and headed off to show Disney that I could be a STAR!! lol

I arrived at the facility around 3:30 and went in and got in line with all the other hopefuls. I met two nice girls, one who was auditioning and one who had auditioned last month and couldn't for another 5 months. 6 month rule. When we got to the front of the line we got numbers and were measured. After that, we had time to stretch out and wait to be called. They did it in 2 groups... They called the first half, then the 2nd half. I was in the 2nd group. There were 152 people total auditioning. We waited and waited... and waited some more. Finally it was our turn. They took us in and taught us a very simple combination and we got to perform it in groups of 4 for the "judges" (not sure what to call them... scouts?) And guess what song we performed to? A techno remix of "it's a small world after all" ohhh yeah!!! lol

After that they called numbers and the ones they called got to stay..... They called my number!! YAY!! They also called the girl I had befriended so I was glad we were going onto the next round together.... After that we filled out some paperwork and then learned another more difficult combination and had quite a bit of time to perfect it. We again performed in groups, this time of 7-8. After that they told us they would be in touch in the next 6 months. If we didn't hear from them, we were free to audition again at the 6 month mark. So unfortunately, I wouldn't know that day if I made it. I haven't heard from them yet and I'm sure it's very hard to get into the entertainment department but I did my best and I'm happy with that! :)

After we were finished, I headed back to the condo to change so we could head back to DTD for dinner and shopping. The audition began at 4pm and it was now about 7:15... A long and trying 3 hours and 15 minutes!!! lol We decided to try out Earl of Sandwich. We had never eaten there but heard good reviews.... Those reviews were spot on! I got the Earl Club and it was YUMM-O!!!! I can't remember what Mama and Ashley got, but I do remember Ashley got macaroni salad with her meal and enjoyed it. After that, we headed over to the Christmas store and picked out our traditional yearly ornament for the tree. I actually got 2: a Mickey dressed as a Pirate on a bulb that says PotC on it... and a bulb with the year on it. We always get one of those. We also checked the Art store for the Tron sketch Ashley wanted but no luck :( We then hit up World of Disney and I got 2 dishcloths with Mickey heads (one red one and one black one) and a picture frame. After that we headed to the car and back to the condo. I was exhausted!! The audition wore me out... We hit the hay around 10pm so we could get enough rest for the next day which would be DHS (or as we will ALWAYS call it... MGM!!!)

LeeSeeBabe

Love the trip report!! I've done a couple of the dance/parade/character auditions myself, sat in the "pool" for a bit... I love that you included your audition in your TR! Great pics too!

TakeMeThere81

Great report so far, I'm looking forward to more! I totally get you with the Disney smells. I can "smell" the Polynesian as I look at your Poly pictures. Mmmm... heaven! :lol:

Ditto Holly! This is always such a great point! I don't know what it is, but I know it is the smell of happiness ;)

lisak09

Loving your TR:). We tried Rainforest Cafe for the first time last year and we all loved it! The food was delicious and our kids really loved the setting, in fact we went back the following night! Looking forward to going back there this August:)

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Loving your TR:). We tried Rainforest Cafe for the first time last year and we all loved it! The food was delicious and our kids really loved the setting, in fact we went back the following night! Looking forward to going back there this August:)

It seems to get a bad reputation, but we've always loved it. Been going there for years!!! The atmosphere is great!!! :)

jenseib

I'm finally caught up. I'm loving it. What a great vacation. And how exciting to try out to be a Disney star!! I hope you get a call...if not keep trying.

PartOfYourWorld

Caught up on everything! :)

Great trip report! And I have to say that I'm with you on the Rainforest Cafe me and my mom decided to eat there this past January and it was really really good!

And we have alot of things in common I have to say, Tower of Terror is my favorite ride! I love all the random drop sequences! And about MK i hate how people don't take the time to take in all the surroundings, as I've gotten older I've realized how much walking down Main Street means to me its just awesome walking in a place that Walt envisioned!

And I'm glad to hear that there's another person out there that has DHS as one of their favorite parks! MK and DHS are mine as well, usually people don't like it all that much, I don't understand why. (I always like to think I like it because both me and the park were born in the same year 1989! :D I'm such a loser)

but anywho, glad to hear your audition went well and hopefully you will get a call from them! You'll have to let us all know!

Oh and I noticed in the beginning you said you loved Coach stuff, down here in MA there is a Coach outlet in Wrentham, MA and that's where I've gotten all my stuff at a really good price! Not sure if you ever been, but if you haven't and you decided to take a trip down to MA you should visit the Wrentham Outlets! :wave:

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Caught up on everything! :)

Great trip report! And I have to say that I'm with you on the Rainforest Cafe me and my mom decided to eat there this past January and it was really really good!

And we have alot of things in common I have to say, Tower of Terror is my favorite ride! I love all the random drop sequences! And about MK i hate how people don't take the time to take in all the surroundings, as I've gotten older I've realized how much walking down Main Street means to me its just awesome walking in a place that Walt envisioned!

And I'm glad to hear that there's another person out there that has DHS as one of their favorite parks! MK and DHS are mine as well, usually people don't like it all that much, I don't understand why. (I always like to think I like it because both me and the park were born in the same year 1989! :D I'm such a loser)

but anywho, glad to hear your audition went well and hopefully you will get a call from them! You'll have to let us all know!

Oh and I noticed in the beginning you said you loved Coach stuff, down here in MA there is a Coach outlet in Wrentham, MA and that's where I've gotten all my stuff at a really good price! Not sure if you ever been, but if you haven't and you decided to take a trip down to MA you should visit the Wrentham Outlets! :wave:

Thank you! Glad you're enjoying reading! :)

I do love my Coach bags lol and I've never been to Wrenthem. I'll have to check it out sometime. I think it's only a couple house from where I live!!

MK and DHS are def my favs! As much as I love Epcot, I love thrill rides... Though I do appreciate Epcot a heck of a lot more now than I did when I was younger!!

And I'm so jealous you will be at MK for the 40th celebration!! I hope you have an amazing time!!! :sohappy:

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Love the trip report!! I've done a couple of the dance/parade/character auditions myself, sat in the "pool" for a bit... I love that you included your audition in your TR! Great pics too!

Yeah, sitting in the pool is no fun :( But so many people audition that they have a ton of talent people to choose from..

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Friday 5/6 - DHS

We woke up bright and early and got ready to head to the Studios. DHS is my sisters favorite park and my 2nd favorite. We arrive about 10 minutes before 9 and Mama volunteered to make the trek to get TSM fastpasses and let me and Ashley head to RNRC. We agreed and headed down Sunset. The wait time read 20 mins I think when we got in line. They have changed the queue lines since we last were there so that was a surprise to us.

DSC06975.jpg

RNRC ranks up there as one of my all time favorite coasters. Aerosmith is one of my favorite bands so it doesn't hurt that they're featured in the ride. When we got off the ride, the wait time had jumped to an hour! Looks like we made it right in time!! We ventured over to ToT but the wait was around 30 minutes. We decided to skip it and headed to meet Mama at the Great Movie Ride. This is one of ours favorites. It could use an update though.....

After GMR, we headed over to Starring Rolls. I had read so much about the Butterfinger cupcake I just knew I wanted to try it! When we were in line though, something else caught my eye... The marble cupcake!! I'm a huge fan or mable cake, so I changed my mind and went with this one instead. Mama and Ashley opted to split the peanut butter cupcake...

DSC06976.jpg

DSC06977.jpg

After finishing up our delicious treats, it was time to use our FP for TSM. We headed over and took it in for the first time. Yes, the first time... Sadly when we went in November we got to the park around 10am and my mom went in line to get FP and she was next in line to sep up to the machine and they ran out :( So this would be our first ride!! I think we boarded in a different area than everyone else. It might have been where the wheelchairs board... Not sure since I'd never been on it before.

DSC06979.jpg

DSC06981.jpg

DSC06982.jpg

It was a great ride! We loved it! I won of course!! And I cant remember who lost this time..

DSC06984.jpg

After fun on the midway, we went to see the Indiana Jones Stunt Show!! I've been picked as an extra 5 times and was hoping to make it 6 times. Last time I was picked in 09 I got to be the chosen extra who got the special death scene lol lucky me!!

DSC06985.jpg

PartOfYourWorld

Thank you! Glad you're enjoying reading! :)

I do love my Coach bags lol and I've never been to Wrenthem. I'll have to check it out sometime. I think it's only a couple house from where I live!!

MK and DHS are def my favs! As much as I love Epcot, I love thrill rides... Though I do appreciate Epcot a heck of a lot more now than I did when I was younger!!

And I'm so jealous you will be at MK for the 40th celebration!! I hope you have an amazing time!!! :sohappy:

Nice you should check it out! And if you ever do go, make sure to check online for Coach Factory coupons for 30% off! They used to give them in store, but I don't think they do that anymore.

I have to agree with you on EPCOT, especially the countries. One of my favorite things to do in EPCOT is just walk around the countries.

And thanks!!! It will definitely be packed that day but so worth it! And I've never been in September due to being in school and then college, but now that I graduated time for a trip in September!!! :sohappy:

Also, glad you rode TSM for the first time! I hope you enjoyed it! It's one of me and my mom's favorites!

chrissyw14

I love love my Coach stuff!! They're expensive but they hold up soooo well. I think I have 6-7 Coach bags/clutches and I use them all the time!!

And yes, Horton is my FAVORITE!! I was so pumped when Boston got him! I'm so sad though he cannot play tonight though :(

I just started reading but i had to comment when you're talking about coach, I love coach! lol you need to try to find their outlet stores because they are sooo much cheaper, i get like $300-400 bags for $100 and you get can writslets for $30

oh and ima yankee/devils fan haha and i would also love to get married in disney

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom