O'Sentinel - NextGen - 1/17/10

jt04

Just a thought...

Maybe Disney's putting so much cash into this because their goal is to develop patents... Develop products that are revolutionary, and which uses could span many different markets.

Disney develops the technology because they see a major way to benefit financially in their parks division, but also see how other industries could use the products.

They get patents.

Products are used sucessfully in the parks. Other industries see this. Other industries come to Disney to buy the technology.

Disney's profits soar.

Maybe it's not solely about "how to squeeze more money from the tourist", but also about other industries paying to use the patented technology once they see it as a success. :shrug:

Ahem, here is the post EE :)

jt04

So, other companies use the tech....How is that relevant to your experience at a Disney Park, which is the topic of this Disney Board.

Not going that far off track here, jt. Keep up. ;)

I am much more concerned about governments procurring and using this technology. Information is power. Can you imagine a dictator like Saddam or Chavez with this type technology. The people would never stand a chance of freeing themselves.

OK- enough thread drift. My point is made. Goodnight :snore:

EPCOT Explorer

I am much more concerned about governments procurring and using this technology. Information is power. Can you imagine a dictator like Saddam or Chavez with this type technology. The people would never stand a chance of freeing themselves.

OK- enough thread drift. My point is made. Goodnight :snore:

Such drama. And such a drift. Where you get these things are beyond me.

Sleep well!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
We have already been told by some "in the know" folks that Disney is spending 1.5 BILLION because they are developing patents they can then license.

This is dangerous technology. Disney knows it and THAT is the reason for the complete secrecy.

Stockholders will demand answers as to why Disney sees the need for such secrecy. Smells of massive Beta testing. :eek:

I'm always amazed by the rampant paranoia of many [thankfully not all] in your country. Canada has our share, but nowhere never the seemingly high [or perhaps simply more vocal] levels south of our border.

Technology is what it is. All technological advances have the potential to be used for good or evil, but it has nothing to do with the technology itself. If the world were to ban all potentially nefarious-use technology, we'd all shunning electricity and driving horse-and-buggy. Einstein developed the theories that led to the Atomic bomb, but also atomic power generation [some will argue on either side of that one], radiation therapies and many other benefits to mankind. RFID is simply a refinement of many other technologies that are already in place. It's already being used to track shipping containers worldwide, part of that helps in the "War on Terror" by making it more difficult to ship bad things into other countries. Is there a potential for nefarious use? Certainly! But then the same was said of bar codes on merchandise. :shrug:

jt04

I'm always amazed by the rampant paranoia of many [thankfully not all] in your country. Canada has our share, but nowhere never the seemingly high [or perhaps simply more vocal] levels south of our border.

Technology is what it is. All technological advances have the potential to be used for good or evil, but it has nothing to do with the technology itself. If the world were to ban all potentially nefarious-use technology, we'd all shunning electricity and driving horse-and-buggy. Einstein developed the theories that led to the Atomic bomb, but also atomic power generation [some will argue on either side of that one], radiation therapies and many other benefits to mankind. RFID is simply a refinement of many other technologies that are already in place. It's already being used to track shipping containers worldwide, part of that helps in the "War on Terror" by making it more difficult to ship bad things into other countries. Is there a potential for nefarious use? Certainly! But then the same was said of bar codes on merchandise. :shrug:

RFID is different. We are creeping towards all of the dangers of Orwell's 1984. It's not paranoia, it's a very real danger to civil liberties.

Three states have passed laws prohibiting corporations from using this technology on employees without their knowledge. Americans left and right cherish their freedoms. It's in our DNA and we take it very very seriously. Nothing political about that. :wave:

jt04

No more politics, please-- or the thread will be closed.

You are the fairest moderator here. All I ask is that the "no politics" standard be applied to those (or the one) who insists on taking cheap shots at Sarah Palin. And not because he is informed but because he thinks it makes himself seem "hip". It's rather sad if you think about it.

Back to NextGen. Cause in Disney's hands it's all sunshine and lollipops. No unicorns, that project was cancelled (thankfully :zipit:)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
RFID is different. We are creeping towards all of the dangers of Orwell's 1984. It's not paranoia, it's a very real danger to civil liberties.

Three states have passed laws prohibiting corporations from using this technology on employees without their knowledge. Americans left and right cherish their freedoms. It's in our DNA and we take it very very seriously. Nothing political about that. :wave:

Comedy gold.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I don't like TT at all. Most overrated attraction in WDW's history. And while I think MS is very kewl, I also think the money would have been better spent with a real space pavilion with numerous attractions/shows/rides/dining/exhibits etc..

I completely agree.

The point is both TT and MS replaced immersive pavilions with storylines.

EXACTLY.

Really? So you are saying that RFID tech will be optional? That Disney will have rooms set aside without RFID controlling the door locks? That Disney will have one set of turnstyles for the chips and one without? That Disney will have interactive experiences (hey, did Tink just beckon me to follow her to Pixie Hollow -- AKA CM CP housing:eek::ROFLOL:-- by name?) for just some guests?

Sorry, but your info contradicts everything I've heard and just plain common sense. The infrastructure costs are amazing ... Disney isn't designing this tech, so guests can opt out of it and do things like it was 1999 or 2009.

Maybe the option is simply to turn off the creepy "character beckoning by name". While the whole tracking thing may be orwellian, personally, the "unexpected personalized character experience" is just weird, and being able to opt out of that would be sufficient for me. :lol:

MousDad

Okay, I'm just going to lay it all on the line here, because it all pretty much boils down to one thing for me:

Will the dancers at Marrakesh know my name?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I personally find these guys infinitely more frightening:

I'll now go wash out my eyes with draino after posting this. :)

MythBuster

I don't think it will rely on being customized to know people's name, even though it could be used for that. I think it will be mainly to keep track of the numbers, how many people in the park at a certain time, people in each attraction, etc. They already do that but this will be more accurate. Then they can tell also re-ride ability, how many people visit an attraction more than once in a day or how many people visit an attraction and never return. And it could lead to more accurate wait times instead using the FLIK system every 5 minutes. Also, then they could tell how long everyone stays in the park for average of couple of hours or all day. How many people visit restaurants, character greets, etc. It will be used more for information gathering so they can adjust park hours or manpower. Enhancing the guest experience will only be a small part and will come later.

EPCOT Explorer

No more politics, please-- or the thread will be closed.
Thank you. :)

And you call me naive? Don't you think that this will be regulated?

The Roman Empire, Napoleon, the Third Reich, and now Disney. All trying to take over the world and oppress its people.....
Well, duh. Didn't you know about the Missile Silo in Cinderella Castle?
Or these two:

[youtube]iCnvwU7SxR4[/youtube]

Muse be cousins of Mickey's.

(Goodness I miss that show! :eek:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom