O'Sentinel - NextGen - 1/17/10

RSoxNo1

I would argue that Mission: Space and Test Track have better stories than Pirates of the Caribbean. I think the mantra that all Disney rides have to have a Splash Mountain level story is overstated. Many are experiences instead of stories, and while there may be a story behind the attraction - the experience supercedes it.

WDW1974

Wow, someone is in a lather today.

Yep. Long day at 'the office' you might say. And I love to come here for some fun and pixe dust hot fanboi loving!:eek:

First of all, where exactly did you state HKDL was going to be a disaster? And how exactly do you define disaster? Please, enlighten us.....

Where? Well, other Disney forums I posted to back in those days. More importantly, to friends, colleagues and execs at TWDC while the park was in development.

I define disaster as a park in an amazing location with plenty of folks with money and knowledge of the Disney BRAND never reaching its modest attendance goals and bleeding money at an astounding pace. Read the financial news on 2009 at HKDL.

I also define disaster creatively as in making the world's first McDisneyland (I used to call it DL Lite to be fair). A park that had 60% of its substance stripped from the announcement (and I have the original press kit and subsequent releases) before opening.

They took out Frontierland (which would have had three major attractions, two E-Ticket caliber) while calling City Hall an attraction. They took out Toontown (which while not DL's version was closer than MK's) and called the Liki Tikis an attraction. They cut out a unique E-Ticket hyrbrid of DAK's CTX attraction mixed with RnRC from A-Land and called the rafts to Tarzan's Treehouse and the Treehouse itself seperate attractions.

Yeah, I knew it was going to be a disaster. And I almost had a chance at being on the opening team for it (and no, yet again, I have never been an employee of TWDC).

Anyone who knew anything about Disney parks and about what Disney was pulling in HK, knew it was going to be a disaster.

Secondly, just how is making bold and brash predicitons the same as using facts and analysis when you're making the predicitions without benefit of either?

I always try and use facts and analysis and DECADES OF EXPERIENCE with TWDC's parks and major media/entertainment when making predictions. I'm damn good at calling the race before the horsies line up at the starting gate.

Third, I have no issue with anyone offering opinions or making predicitions. In case you haven't noticed (and judging by your response you haven't), this is a site where all kinds of opinions are welcomed, even encouraged. Even ones that maybe contradictory to your own.

They shouldn't be. Anyone who disagrees with my views should be shot!

Fourth, I have no idea what this project will lead to (and quite frankly, neither do you). Which is why we're all offering our opinions here. But let's not mistake opinions for fact, and let's not decide that someone who doesn't agree with us is either a "fanboi" or less than "kewl," to use your venacular.

Everyone here is a fanboi (myself included). No one posts on a Disney fan site without being seriously into Da Mouse.

And I never mix opinions with facts. Others here do so routinely.

Finally, I could care less what your opinions are, just as you feel the same about mine. So let's forget about 2020, shall we? A poor attempt on your part to feign interest.......

Oh, you care about my opinions. If you didn't you wouldn't have responded. And I care, believe it or not, about yours. ... I just won't hold back my opinions and wait to see how things play out.

BTW, I think that type of 'tude got this country in one heap of a mess the last decade!

WDW1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW1974
Why are attractions like TT and MS so COLD? Because there is no story ... it's all tech.

MS doesn't need a story. They tell you exactly what you will be doing in the breifing room. And why do you need a story on TT? You are in a vehicle testing facility. No story needed for that. And again, the preshow lays it all out for you. If that weren't enough, I think the guest count on those attractions show that it doesn't matter.

You need STORY because that's what sets Disney apart. You might as well simply drop rolley coasters around. Guest counts mean little to me in the context of this discussion. By Disney's internal metrics, TT is a huge success and MS is largely a failure.

I don't like TT at all. Most overrated attraction in WDW's history. And while I think MS is very kewl, I also think the money would have been better spent with a real space pavilion with numerous attractions/shows/rides/dining/exhibits etc.

The point is both TT and MS replaced immersive pavilions with storylines.

I get that guests will accept less from Disney today. The past decade is a posterchild for Walmarting da World.

But if you don't believe story is important to Disney then I'd advise you to read up on your company's amazing creative legacy instead of telling me guests like to ride TT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinYee
Well, what if there's an option to turn off all the creepy orwell tracking? I'd opt to turn it off, I'm sure... at least most of the time.

You can. If you don't want to do it, don't. Everything will still be the same as it's been for years if you choose not to participate in the program. That's the beauty of it. It's a choice.

Really? So you are saying that RFID tech will be optional? That Disney will have rooms set aside without RFID controlling the door locks? That Disney will have one set of turnstyles for the chips and one without? That Disney will have interactive experiences (hey, did Tink just beckon me to follow her to Pixie Hollow -- AKA CM CP housing:eek::ROFLOL:-- by name?) for just some guests?

Sorry, but your info contradicts everything I've heard and just plain common sense. The infrastructure costs are amazing ... Disney isn't designing this tech, so guests can opt out of it and do things like it was 1999 or 2009.

First of all, this is a global initiative ... although how global remains to be seen.

But this is the operational management chart for NEXT GEN:

Jim MacPhee, Vice President, Next Generation Experience and Walt Disney World Parks Operations, also responsible to Meg Crofton, President Walt Disney World Resort, to lead the operations integration component of this work
• John Padgett, Vice President, Experience Development
• Kevin Rice, Vice President, Interactive Product Development, also responsible to Bruce Vaughn, Executive Vice President and Chief Creative Officer
• Andy Schwalb, Senior Vice President, Strategic IT Services, also responsible to Stephanie Young, Senior Vice President, Global Business Technology Strategy
• Mike Gomes, Vice President, Imaging, also responsible to Michael O'Grattan, Senior Vice President, Entertainment and Imaging
• Brian Besanceney, Vice President, Public Affairs, also responsible to Leslie Goodman, Executive Vice President, Worldwide Public Affairs

Shouldn't Joe Garlington, head of Creative Interactive Attractions, be in there somewhere?

WDW1974

Shouldn't Joe Garlington, head of Creative Interactive Attractions, be in there somewhere?

Good question.

You'd think so. Unless he's no longer at WDI ... I'm just running off a chart that provided to me. Possible he was just left out, although it's weird because Bruce is on there ... but Joe would report to him anyway.

You have any info?

Good question.

You'd think so. Unless he's no longer at WDI ... I'm just running off a chart that provided to me. Possible he was just left out, although it's weird because Bruce is on there ... but Joe would report to him anyway.

You have any info?

I can confirm that the RnRC queue test they ran a couple weeks ago is connected to this, but that's all I can say at the moment.

I'm not yet sure on this project (especially with the other potential uses of that large a figure)... but it does indeed go much further than rides knowing your name.

KevinYee

As to Disney not giving an option to turn off the interactivity, my gut says '74 is right that they probably wouldn't invest this much only to make it optional. But that doesn't mean the customer can't take matters into his own hands. Simple aluminum foil will block RFID signals, so personally I'll just find a way to shield the annual pass (that's where mine will be) until I "need" it, or want Disney to know where I'm at.

raven

You need STORY because that's what sets Disney apart. You might as well simply drop rolley coasters around. Guest counts mean little to me in the context of this discussion.

As always, your posts are all about you and your need to let everyone know that you know every detail about the company. In the end it's Riders-per-hour that matter.

Really? So you are saying that RFID tech will be optional? Sorry, but your info contradicts everything I've heard and just plain common sense.

That's exactly what I'm saying. In order for the RFID program to work like they are planning each guest would have to fill out questionares on a computer. Do you think someone that's in the Orlando area for a conference that happens to drop into WDW for a day is going to know that? No. There will always be an option to opt out.

EPCOT Explorer

Interesting issue on M:S's story... I'm honestly fine with it. The queue is perfect for the setting, and so is the ride itself. It flows nicely. Is it a little weak? Sure. Did it replace a better story? A thousand times over. Should there be more in MS? Yep.

But, as it stands, MS is a very good addition to a modern EPCOT in my eyes. It exceeded my expectations.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Interesting issue on M:S's story... I'm honestly fine with it. The queue is perfect for the setting, and so is the ride itself. It flows nicely. Is it a little weak? Sure. Did it replace a better story? A thousand times over. Should there be more in MS? Yep.

But, as it stands, MS is a very good addition to a modern EPCOT in my eyes. It exceeded my expectations.[/QUOTE]

I actually rode M:S for the first time on my trip last June, and I too was pleasantly surprised by how well the ride was done, and how well it fit into the EP theming. I even liked it well enough to ride it a second time on Orange, which I never thought I would do....

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Yep. Long day at 'the office' you might say. And I love to come here for some fun and pixe dust hot fanboi loving!:eek:

Where? Well, other Disney forums I posted to back in those days. More importantly, to friends, colleagues and execs at TWDC while the park was in development.

I define disaster as a park in an amazing location with plenty of folks with money and knowledge of the Disney BRAND never reaching its modest attendance goals and bleeding money at an astounding pace. Read the financial news on 2009 at HKDL.

I also define disaster creatively as in making the world's first McDisneyland (I used to call it DL Lite to be fair). A park that had 60% of its substance stripped from the announcement (and I have the original press kit and subsequent releases) before opening.

They took out Frontierland (which would have had three major attractions, two E-Ticket caliber) while calling City Hall an attraction. They took out Toontown (which while not DL's version was closer than MK's) and called the Liki Tikis an attraction. They cut out a unique E-Ticket hyrbrid of DAK's CTX attraction mixed with RnRC from A-Land and called the rafts to Tarzan's Treehouse and the Treehouse itself seperate attractions.

Yeah, I knew it was going to be a disaster. And I almost had a chance at being on the opening team for it (and no, yet again, I have never been an employee of TWDC).

Anyone who knew anything about Disney parks and about what Disney was pulling in HK, knew it was going to be a disaster.

I always try and use facts and analysis and DECADES OF EXPERIENCE with TWDC's parks and major media/entertainment when making predictions. I'm damn good at calling the race before the horsies line up at the starting gate.

They shouldn't be. Anyone who disagrees with my views should be shot!

Everyone here is a fanboi (myself included). No one posts on a Disney fan site without being seriously into Da Mouse.

And I never mix opinions with facts. Others here do so routinely.

Oh, you care about my opinions. If you didn't you wouldn't have responded. And I care, believe it or not, about yours. ... I just won't hold back my opinions and wait to see how things play out.

BTW, I think that type of 'tude got this country in one heap of a mess the last decade!

Truly, straight out of MacBeth: full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

EPCOT Explorer

But, as it stands, MS is a very good addition to a modern EPCOT in my eyes. It exceeded my expectations.[/

I actually rode M:S for the first time on my trip last June, and I too was pleasantly surprised by how well the ride was done, and how well it fit into the EP theming. I even liked it well enough to ride it a second time on Orange, which I never thought I would do....

I rode it a month ago, today! :lol: Orange too. I had previously only seen the queue and the chicken exit.:lookaroun:lol: (Claustrophobia. Those things are too damn tight.) I agree, though...It is a solid attraction. Shame it's not more than that.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I rode it a month ago, today! :lol: Orange too. I had previously only seen the queue and the chicken exit.:lookaroun:lol: (Claustrophobia. Those things are too damn tight.) I agree, though...It is a solid attraction. Shame it's not more than that.

I completely understand. I actually got pulled onto the Orange ride by my daughter, so it wasn't like a 6"3' guy could turn a 10 year-old down because the ride got a little close for comfort.....:)

EPCOT Explorer

I completely understand. I actually got pulled onto the Orange ride by my daughter, so it wasn't like a 6"3' guy could turn a 10 year-old down because the ride got a little close for comfort.....:)
:lol: Exactly. I'm your hight, so yeah, it's VERY tight in there.

I had no idea!! You go, dog! I'm surprised you haven't been bragging more shamelessly. Any other feats of bravery and manliness I'm not aware of?

:ROFLOL:

I went on SGE?:shrug::lookaroun

The next feat will be in June...E:E time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom