O'Sentinel - NextGen - 1/17/10

jt04

And you call me naive? Don't you think that this will be regulated?

As I said twice, I'm not worried about WDW using the tecnology. It's where the technology ultimatly gets distibuted that concerns me. There are plenty of places where the people have no say in the "regulations" that govern them. Like Scotland.:lol:

Hi Pumbas. :wave:

EPCOT Explorer

As I said twice, I'm not worried about WDW using the tecnology.It's where the technology ultimatly gets distibuted that concerns me. There are plenty of places where the people h ave no say in the "regulations" that govern them. Like Scotland.:lol:

And that's where it would be regulated. :rolleyes:

You were never in a Model UN Club, or a task force, were you? :lol:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
And let's also consider something else- while Disney may be spending this money to incorporate some new technology into their parks, there's nothing to day that they're not going to use technology that hasn't already been developed. Yes, it's a minor detail, but it's also an important distinction. And if they're using previously developed technology, odds are it's already regulated.

jt04

And let's also consider something else- while Disney may be spending this money to incorporate some new technology into their parks, there's nothing to day that they're not going to use technology that hasn't already been developed. Yes, it's a minor detail, but it's also an important distinction. And if they're using previously developed technology, odds are it's already regulated.

I don't think so as this capability of tracking and data mining is really new. There are few if any laws governing it.

It needs regulating IMO. And I'm not much for a lot of regulations.

EPCOT Explorer

I hope you are right.

No, but if they had an anti-Model UN Club I'd have been it's president. :king:
I would hope that I am! :lol:

Political to the last, jt. :zipit:

(And while I think that the UN has potential, the politics of it make it too damn convoluted to get anything done. It's all suggestion. I quit the club after two years/terms of representing Norway. :lol:)

Good point!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I don't think so as this capability of tracking and data mining is really new. There are few if any laws governing it.

Please believe me Jt when I tell you that both the tracking and mining of data has been around for quite some time. Disney isn't really breaking new ground here, they're just doing it on a larger scale.....

fyn

Companies already collect loads, and I mean loads of private information about consumers. Those same companies already have to comply with current regulations that detail how that information is stored, secured, accessed, what it can/can't be used for, and what disclosures need to happen if any of those regulations aren't complied with.

Personal data collected from RFID sources would simply fall into the same category. If anything, we're already 90% of the way there in appropriately regulating personal data from digital sources, so only minor new legislation would be needed to cover scenarios that are completely unique to RFID.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
As I said twice, I'm not worried about WDW using the tecnology. It's where the technology ultimatly gets distibuted that concerns me. There are plenty of places where the people have no say in the "regulations" that govern them. Like Scotland.:lol:

I could say that you are a typical stereotypical dumb, ignorant, arrogant, American, who wonders why in most places they are as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

However given the Scottish legal system has been in place for 1000 years originating in common and civil law Ill just shrug knowing that your fabulous freedoms and constitution were of course inspired by the enlightenment from the worlds most influential small country and its citizens.

Ignorance is no defence.

I don't trust the government, I don't trust alternatives
It's not that I'm paranoid, it's just thats the way it is
Every day I hear a little scream inside
Every day I find it's getting louder
I just want to reach out and touch someone
'Cause I find I need a friend in this dark hour

We the people are gettin' tired of your lies
We the people now believe that it's time
We're demanding our rights to the answers
We elect a precedent to a state of mind

I trust in conspiracies, in the power of the military
In this wilderness of mirrors here, not even my speech is free
Everyday I find it's gettin' louder

We the people want it straight for a change
'Cause we the people are getting tired of your games
If you insult us with cheap propaganda
We'll elect a precedent to a state of mind

Every day I find it's getting louder

When we the people have our backs to the wall
Do we the people then assume control?
When it's too late to stop our own execution
When we're faced with the final solution
You can't elect a dream revolution
When you've a bullet in the back of your mind

It's just a state of mind

jt04

Companies already collect loads, and I mean loads of private information about consumers. Those same companies already have to comply with current regulations that detail how that information is stored, secured, accessed, what it can/can't be used for, and what disclosures need to happen if any of those regulations aren't complied with.

Personal data collected from RFID sources would simply fall into the same category. If anything, we're already 90% of the way there in appropriately regulating personal data from digital sources, so only minor new legislation would be needed to cover scenarios that are completely unique to RFID.

So is this meant to ease my unease with this trend?

I just wonder if Disney has done it's due diligence on how willing people will be to use this technology no matter how fun or magical they make it. 1.5 Billion is a lot of money and this project just sets off all of my alarm bells for many reasons.

Everything you say is true. But there is going to be a backlash against this stuff sooner or later. It's brewing and I'm afraid Disney is waking right into it. Although if 74 is right about the average guest being undescerning sheep, I guess everthing will be peachy.

Maerj

Look at it this way, Disney will only have the information on this RFID thing that YOU give them. If there is some bit of info that you don't want them to have, don't give it to them. Buy a ticket now, put as many days on as you can with no expiration and you won't have to worry about this.

Also, looking at their track record they won't finish this RFID thing anyway. They'll just throw in some blue triangles and call it a day.

StinkyLeslie

Nothing more American than screaming for the preservation of freedoms in one breath and then claiming the need for regulation in the next.

1.5 billion is an enormous capital investment and any investment that large in WDW is welcomed by me.

Ultimately, if you are truly concerned for your civil liberties being violated by Disney than I'd recommend staying home.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Don't go to Disney parks [RFID]
Don't get a Driver's License [RFID]
Don't get a Passport [RFID]
Don't shop for clothing [RFID]
Don't use a Credit or Debit Card [RFID]
Don't buy food [Bar Codes]

Solution to maintain your precious freedoms that you hold so dear: Live naked in the woods and hunt your own food. :rolleyes:

KevinYee

Look at it this way, Disney will only have the information on this RFID thing that YOU give them. If there is some bit of info that you don't want them to have, don't give it to them. Buy a ticket now, put as many days on as you can with no expiration and you won't have to worry about this.

That won't be much of an option for annual passholders (which is most DVC folks?... certainly lots of locals)

EPCOT Explorer

Don't go to Disney parks [RFID]
Don't get a Driver's License [RFID]
Don't get a Passport [RFID]
Don't shop for clothing [RFID]
Don't use a Credit or Debit Card [RFID]
Don't buy food [Bar Codes]

Solution to maintain your precious freedoms that you hold so dear: Live naked in the woods and hunt your own food. :rolleyes:

I think you just described jt's life.:lookaroun:lol:

Maerj

That won't be much of an option for annual passholders (which is most DVC folks?... certainly lots of locals)

But still, what personal private information can Disney possibly want for these RFIDs that you couldn't easily get online? Its important to be aware and to try to preserve freedoms but I can't see anything that bad being on these cards or braceletes or whatever they'll be. Any info that'll be on there, they probably already have on all of us from previous trips.

KevinYee

If you're like me, you've been amazed at times at how well amazon can "suggest" things you might like, based on what you've bought before.

Disney can do something similar; given enough RFID data, they can determine my favorite rides, when I like to ride what, where I like to eat, and how much to spend for lunch. Disney's point in tracking all this is not to make me happy, but to find out ways to get me to spend more. That's a bit insidious, I think, ESPECIALLY because they can probably make it work. For instance, I now spend more on amazon than I would have if the tracking didn't exist.

Is it better that the tracking exists or not? Most of the time, it's definitely better. But in the era of online personas (there are movements afoot to "unite" our various online logins and personas), imagine what a hacker could do with knowledge of my amazon book habits and my Disney park habits (which they could get by hacking the system, like google just experienced in China). They could more easily "phish" me via email, for instance. And don't think that's far-fetched. Hackers will follow the money.

EPCOT Explorer

If you're like me, you've been amazed at times at how well amazon can "suggest" things you might like, based on what you've bought before.

Disney can do something similar; given enough RFID data, they can determine my favorite rides, when I like to ride what, where I like to eat, and how much to spend for lunch. Disney's point in tracking all this is not to make me happy, but to find out ways to get me to spend more. That's a bit insidious, I think, ESPECIALLY because they can probably make it work. For instance, I now spend more on amazon than I would have if the tracking didn't exist.

Is it better that the tracking exists or not? Most of the time, it's definitely better. But in the era of online personas (there are movements afoot to "unite" our various online logins and personas), imagine what a hacker could do with knowledge of my amazon book habits and my Disney park habits (which they could get by hacking the system, like google just experienced in China). They could more easily "phish" me via email, for instance. And don't think that's far-fetched. Hackers will follow the money.

With the right equipment and the right knowledge (and common sense!) it's quite easy to know what's a threat and what's not.

You do make a good point, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom