Orlando High Speed Rail IS DEFINITE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilt Dasney

An actual update from today's O'Sentinel. We should have final word by next Friday on this plan to finally admit it's a "Tourist Train".
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ail-mica-rescue-plan-20110218,0,3557060.story
Interesting...but wouldn't shrinking the line to such a small area make the high speed technology a bit pointless? What's the maximum speed you're going to achieve between the airport, convention center and Disney?

Also...Orange County has a mayor? :veryconfu

flavious27

An actual update from today's O'Sentinel. We should have final word by next Friday on this plan to finally admit it's a "Tourist Train".

Rep. Mica announces 'rescue plan' for high-speed rail

"U.S. Rep. John Mica revealed a plan late Friday that he said could save the high-speed train from Orlando to Tampa that Gov. Rick Scott wants scuttled.

Mica, chairman of the powerful House transportation committee, proposed building only an initial link connecting Orlando International Airport, the Orange County Convention Center and Walt Disney World, a distance of about 21miles.

He has long complained that the Orlando-Tampa line would be a “dog on revenue” once it extended beyond the theme-park area in Central Florida"

Full Article

Only from the airport to wdw, yeah that is the only part that needed to be built initially, hopefully phase 2 would be a link from orl to Jacksonville.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Interesting...but wouldn't shrinking the line to such a small area make the high speed technology a bit pointless? What's the maximum speed you're going to achieve between the airport, convention center and Disney?

I don't know if it's really about the top speed, as much as being non-stop and without I-4 traffic...I think a lot of congestion could potentially removed.

flavious27

Well they could have an express train that would travel between the airport and wdw. Also, it would the first phase to connect to other hd rail on the east coast.

AEfx

A train like that would be very cool - though I wish it stopped at Universal as well. :) Getting from WDW to Universal and back from anything but your own vehicle is difficult, or expensive, at best.

cheezbat

well, we'll see what happens with this train. It's been on and off for years now, and while many want it to come, many others don't want it to come as well. It all comes down to money, planning, and politics.

tizzo

A train like that would be very cool - though I wish it stopped at Universal as well. :) Getting from WDW to Universal and back from anything but your own vehicle is difficult, or expensive, at best.

Universal isn't far from the convention center. I would be very surprised if they didn't offer some kind of shuttle service if and when such a rail line was built.

flavious27

Universal isn't far from the convention center. I would be very surprised if they didn't offer some kind of shuttle service if and when such a rail line was built.

they do,

i-trolley1.bmp

juniorthomas

Well they could have an express train that would travel between the airport and wdw. Also, it would the first phase to connect to other hd rail on the east coast.

And honestly, its the only part of the entire plan that mattered. Disney has always been interested in a quicker route to the resorts from the airport. Having a vacation package that has people on Disney property from start to finish is pretty attractive to Parks.

tizzo

Which rumor are you talking about?

I believe he's talking about the rumor (actually at this point more of a desperate, ridiculous proposal than a rumor) that the HSR plan that was mercifully killed by FL Governor Scott be revived in a rather more limited form - specifically to run just between WDW and MCO.

Wilt Dasney

I can't think of any reason for Orlando residents to contribute a dime to this proposal. None of them would benefit from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom