Oprah Winfrey

The Mom

Premium Member
I highly doubt that tigsmom or I think Oprah is a saint. :rolleyes: As stated, she worked to get herself where she is, and is using her INFLUENCE to help others. I doubt that GM would give ME the cars to donate, nor would GM had given those people cars if not for Oprah.

I've been on the board of a charity. I did give money out of pocket, but also spent most of my time "begging" others for it. Oprah has the clout to go to a major corporation and get a multi-million dollar donation.

You do understand that even if Oprah gave away every penny she EARNED, it would only be a drop in the bucket toward helping the plight of those less fortunate? Then she would go back to being poor, and in no position to help anyone.

I agree that good works alone will not get you into heaven. I also believe that faith WITHOUT good works is a waste of God's grace. JMHO

Lauriebar

DigitalDisney said:
Yet Oprah gets ALL of the credit for this?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I am sure that Pontiac gave these cars away for a reason...and it wasn't humanitarian!! Pontiac is a struggling company that desperately needs publicity, and Oprah gave it to them. Do you think they would have given ANY cars away without the publicity that Oprah's show can give them? It's obvious you don't like Oprah...alright. But to feel bad for a major car company?

Tramp

Original Poster
This thread is documented proof that "no good deed goes unpunished" in the cynic's mind.

I have to ask some of you cynics out there, what's more important to you... That 276 average people got a brand new car, or the fact that a rich, black women made it all happen by using her celebrity? I think some of you need to get rid of that bitterness you carry cuz life can be brutally fruitless for those who always see the glass half empty.

I don't see any of the morally bankrupt Hollywood icons doing what this lady has done. I couldn't care less if this was a publicity stunt...so what? The end result is that Oprah made a lot of people happy yesterday and turned the lives around for two struggling people and I say more power to the lady and God bless her for providing her celebrity influence to do it.

So cynics, make sure you write to Jerry Lewis and tell him to stop taking credit for the MD Telethon every year. He's not giving any of HIS money, is he? :mad:

Good Grief, Charlie Brown...Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Tramp

Original Poster
The Mom said:
Tramp,

You're absoulutely right. I'm so ed about this class envy that I'm going to start a new vent. :mad:

LMAO... :lol: Me too! I sometimes think I'm going to blow a gasket when I hear the arguments of the selfishly misguided individuals who think someone OWES them something in life. I stay away from people like this cuz they'll draw me into the abyss of unhappy souls and I don't want to die that way.

The Mom

Premium Member
Tramp said:
LMAO... :lol: Me too! I sometimes think I'm going to blow a gasket when I hear the arguments of the selfishly misguided individuals who think someone OWES them something in life. I stay away from people like this cuz they'll draw me into the abyss of unhappy souls and I don't want to die that way.

I wrote my vent, but have decided not to post it. :lol: Just suffice to say that most financially secure people worked damn hard to get there, and sacrificed a lot along the way. And most "poor" people in this country are just passing through. I know I was among those numbers below the poverty level a few times in my life.

And yes, some people DO have advantages, be it intelligence, beauty, athletic prowress, musical or artistic talent, etc. A few ARE handed their money...ala the Hiltons. Couldn't they at least PRETEND to work? :animwink:

Most people do the best with what they've got, and some people DO have to work harder than others to achieve the same results. It would be impossible to "level the playing field" for everyone. If you wonder what that might be like, go out and read Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut, or March of the Morons by ?Harlan Ellison. Dangerous Visions, indeed.

Tramp

Original Poster
The Mom said:
If you wonder what that might be like, go out and read Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut, or March of the Morons by ?Harlan Ellison. Dangerous Visions, indeed.

"THE YEAR WAS 2081, and everybody was finally equal. They weren’t only equal before God and the law. They were equal every which way. Nobody was smarter than anybody else. Nobody was better looking than anybody else. Nobody was stronger or quicker than anybody else. All this equality was due to the 211th, 212th, and 213th Amendments to the Constitution, and to the unceasing vigilance of agents of the United States Handicapper General."

No wonder we think alike, Marcia. :lol: I have "Welcome to the Monkey House," a collection of Vonnegut's shorter works, in my library and have always been amazed at his creative vision. Some of us need to heed his message that uniformity (of any kind) leads to the loss of individuality, and therefore to absolute deformity of humanity itself. We see this trend in our schools today with programs trying to equalize the opportunities of smart and dumb kids by promoting failing students. When dumb kids grow into dumb adults and, by law, hold the same positions of power and employment as their smarter collegues, the result is mediocrity at best and fatal at worst. All of society, indeed, all of humanity is at risk.

Thank God that my only handicap in life is something which cannot be spoken of in this forum. :eek: That, too, is a short story. ;)

cherrynegra

DigitalDisney said:
I don't see why Oprah gets all the credit for this. She certainly didn't buy the cars herself, although she easily could have.

GM is the real hero here, but they're getting pushed aside so Oprah's big ol behind can stand in the spotlight. Giving away someone else's cars for free is real humanitarian of you, Oprah.

If GM didn't donate the cars, would Oprah have done this? Doubtful.

Ed: The sad thing is that, even as I read through this thread, people still think that Oprah personally went out to buy the cars and give them away. It's clearly stated here and in the article that every single car was donated. Straight from the article:

Yet Oprah gets ALL of the credit for this?!?!?!?!?!?!?

And I'm more than positive that not only would you criticize Oprah for using her fame for good works, but you'd also criticize her if she DIDN'T use her fame for good works.

And since we're on the subject, all those here that have donated MILLIONS of dollars to numerous charities such as soup kitchens, a school for girls in Africa, and the newly opened Undergrond Railroad Museum, among others, please raise your hand.

Mm-hmm. Just as I thought. :rolleyes:

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Even though it was a "stunt" , it was still pretty cool. :) :wave:

GM, 'Oprah' team up to give away cars

September 14, 2004

The woman who made Dr. Phil a household name, launched her own magazine and drove countless books onto the best-seller list is lending her golden touch to a new Pontiac midsized sedan made in Michigan.

General Motors Corp. kicked off its new Pontiac G6 with a bang Monday, when megastar Oprah Winfrey surprised 276 audience members with a free vehicle during the 19th season premiere of her talk show.

An estimated 30 million viewers see the show each week. Audience members were chosen because friends or family wrote about their need for a new car.

The Pontiac G6, built in Orion Township, starts at $21,300, but audience members will be permitted to customize their cars with all the options, pushing the price of the car to an estimated $28,400 and the cost of the giveaway promotion to at least $7.8 million. GM's Pontiac division is covering all of the costs, including the tax and licensing fees.

Automakers have used celebrities to peddle their products before. Country music star Toby Keith promotes Fords; Grammy winner Celine Dion did ads for Chrysler, and golf legend Tiger Woods pitches for Buick. But Winfrey, who is revered by some, has a proven track record for pushing products among a wide demographic.

GM officials said they knew they needed to do something special to break through the advertising clutter and make potential customers aware of its new nameplate.

"We couldn't think of anybody bigger than Oprah," said Mary Kubitskey, advertising manager for Pontiac. "There's a lot of clutter out there right now. We had to find a way to break though."

The promotion -- which may make Pontiac dealers overnight fans of Winfrey -- highlights a marketing era that morphs advertising, public relations, event marketing and product placement into one confusing jumble of information for consumers. That is especially true as many consumers rely on digital recorders to avoid commercials. Winfrey and GM's public relations staff were ready on the phone Monday, doing interviews about the planned news event.

Art Spinella, president of CNW Marketing Research Inc. in Bandon, Ore., said GM's move was so brilliant that he was struck that other automakers hadn't thought of it before.

"It's a marketing stunt, but it was a good one," he said. "It's something nobody has really done before."

Michael Bernacchi, professor of advertising and marketing at the University of Detroit Mercy, said GM's promotion on the female-leaning "Oprah Winfrey Show" should also offset Pontiac's sponsorship of NCAA basketball and football.

The "Oprah" promotion also seems to take the gimmicky car giveaway, born out of game shows and contests, to a new level.

GM had been refining the promotions, and earlier this year, hosted a Hot Button giveaway, in which it gave away 1,000 vehicles over 56 days to random consumers who pushed the OnStar button in certain vehicles at dealerships. About $25 million was spent on that effort.

But while winners of the Hot Button giveaway were dispersed around the country and winning one of 54 different products, this latest effort with Winfrey seems more focused. Scores of media outlets reported on a single product in connection with the "Oprah" show hours before the event even aired.

The effort, Bernacchi said, would likely eclipse the buzz that benefited the Auburn Hills-based Chrysler Group after it sponsored Donald Trump's "The Apprentice" show on NBC earlier this year. Trump gave the winner of the show a single free 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster at the end of that contest.

On Monday's "Oprah," Winfrey was shown touring the Orion Assembly Center, where she worked on the line a week ago for about an hour, assembling bumpers, GM said.

During the surprise-giveaway portion of the show, Winfrey invited 11 unsuspecting audience members on stage, where they were presented with a box containing a key to a new car. She then said that a 12th key was located in another box somewhere in the audience, but audience members opening their individual boxes quickly learned there was a key for everyone.

"Everybody gets a car! Everybody gets a car!" Winfrey yelled as she jumped up and down on the stage.

Sharon Joyce of metro Detroit, who drove to the taping of the show on Sept. 9 in Chicago, said everyone in the audience was screaming, crying and hugging one another with excitement. The group then followed Winfrey outside to a parking lot of Pontiac G6s -- all decorated with giant red bows.

Joyce, a customer service agent for DTE, said she needed a new car to replace her 3-year-old Dodge Intrepid, and the gift gave her some needed financial breathing room.

"I was literally shocked," she said. "I have been blessed."

DigitalDisney

Before you get any misconceptions, let it be known that I am involved in charity work (Hands Across Atlanta), and I think it's great that these people got new cars. However, everybody doesn't realize that this is just a marketing stunt. It's a gimmick. Heck, the car giveaway was even announced briefly beforehand. Why on Earth would Oprah do that other than to boost her ratings and image?

As a result, Oprah got high ratings and praise from people all around the world all for what was at little to no expense form her / Harpo.

Instead, Pontiac should have done their own individual effort, where people send in pictures and tell stories about how bad their cars are, and Pontiac gives them new cars. They can use it in future promotions and commercials and look good in the process. Since they are giving these cars away entirely for free, all credit should be rightfully given to them.

Here's the bottom line:
Right now, all your average person knows is that Oprah gave away cars to everybody in her audience. They don't even know that it's a Pontiac G6, let alone that Pontiac paid all expenses for these cars. Your average person is giving Oprah 100% of the credit for this whole stunt. They think that Oprah personally got all of these people into the studio, and paid for all of the cars out of her pocket. I don't know if it's Pontiac's fault for not getting their name out more or Oprah's fault for not stressing everything that Pontiac did for her/them.

On to the rebuttals :)
And I'm more than positive that not only would you criticize Oprah for using her fame for good works, but you'd also criticize her if she DIDN'T use her fame for good works.
Wow. You couldn't be farther from the truth here. Just because I don't like Oprah's shady publicity stunt means I'm not humanitarian? WOW.

I don't care who you are, if you take part in or help organize humanitarian efforts, I respect and appreciate that. Celebs that do that are even better because they have star power.

I'm Libertarian by nature, so I let people do what they want with their time/money/life as long as it doesn't interfere with me. I admire it when people like Andrew Carnegie spent millions building libraries and the like, but I don't criticise people for not spending their own money on projects. My problem here is that everybody (including Oprah, to some extent) is acting like Oprah personally shelled out the money for these cars when she didn't spend a dime.

And since we're on the subject, all those here that have donated MILLIONS of dollars to numerous charities such as soup kitchens, a school for girls in Africa, and the newly opened Undergrond Railroad Museum, among others, please raise your hand.

Mm-hmm. Just as I thought.
Sorry to sink your ship, but nobody here can step up because they don't have the money and resources that Oprah does. She is one of the richest people in the whole world, so very few people can have the same accomplishments and opportunities that she does.

Since nobody is going to raise their hand, does that make everyone here an evil hateful power-monger? I don't know about you, but I donate plenty of my time to local charities. I've spent many hours cleaning up schools, fixing computers at churches, and helping build houses in my area. But thanks for the stereotype... :rolleyes:

cherrynegra

DigitalDisney said:
Right now, all your average person knows is that Oprah gave away cars to everybody in her audience. They don't even know that it's a Pontiac G6, let alone that Pontiac paid all expenses for these cars. Your average person is giving Oprah 100% of the credit for this whole stunt. They think that Oprah personally got all of these people into the studio, and paid for all of the cars out of her pocket. I don't know if it's Pontiac's fault for not getting their name out more or Oprah's fault for not stressing everything that Pontiac did for her/them.

Now you obviously have a problem with Oprah. In your statement you are clearly trying to find fault with someone for not making it clear that, "I did not buy these cars," "GM donated them." I don't understand this. Your need to find someone to blame for not making it clear that "OPRAH DIDN'T BUY THESE CARS," overlooks the fact that the cars were given to needy individuals for free. Heck, GM is even paying for the taxes and registration.

Plus the show hasn't even aired yet. How do we know she didn't explain everything out in detail. Perhaps in triplicate? Perhaps you should blame the person writing the story. I know for a fact watching previous shows that she goes out of her way to mention and thank the people that provide the goods or services she donates on her show.

My problem here is that everybody (including Oprah, to some extent) is acting like Oprah personally shelled out the money for these cars when she didn't spend a dime.

Now wait a minute, just because she didn't shell millions of her own dollars doesn't negate the fact that she or her representatives went to GM and offered them an opportunity to do some good. Now, how do we know she didn't say, "Hey, I want to buy some cars to give away," and then GM says, "Hey, we'll give you the cars because it will benefit us as well."

Your posts have clearly indicated your distaste with the fact that she's gaining publicity from this stunt. HELLO?? She's in showbuisness. You have to have a gimmick. And if her gimmick is to give away cars donated by other people, so what??? The fact is that people who are deserving of those vehicles got them. I think this is definitely a case of someone not seeing the forrest for the trees.

However, that being said, you're more than entitled to voice your opinion and dissatisfaction with Oprah's donation or GM's donation or whatever.

The Mom

Premium Member
Heck said:
Thank you! I was worried about that!

It looks like a win-win-win situation to me; Oprah gets high ratings, GM gets free advertising, along with great PR, and the recipients get new cars. Who got hurt?

I never watch Oprah, but feel that she has done good things. Not Mother Theresa give-your-all for others type things, but good none the less. Even her book club got people who weren't "readers" into book stores and libraries. Granted, the books weren't exactly classics, but were certainly entertaining and light years above the trash on the newstands.

I agree that she isn't perfect; no one is. I've heard that Andrew Carnegie wasn't exactly a saint, or easy to get along with. Many would even say that he gained his wealth on the back of downtrodden workers. That still doesn't mean that his charitable contributions should be spit upon. Heck, he COULD have kept every penny. :animwink:

Figment1986

I was listening to my local morning show... (Cough Mj morning show Cough) and he was talking about how this was such a good thing for her, the people in the audiance, and GM, cause they saved money in the end on promoting this new car...

I think Opera did this for the kindness, not as much for ratings... (but the way it was hyped, the ratings were through the roof...)

Tramp

Original Poster
This morning, Regis Philbin and Kelly Ripa told their fans to check under their seats for a special surprise, too ... which set the audience scrambling. That is, until the hosts explained that the audience members were welcome to help themselves to the gum stuck under there. :lol:

This one made me laugh:
Jay Leno got into the act last night. He told his audience he'd be doing something similar to what Oprah did... and that everyone in the crowd would be getting a picture of Leno with his 276 cars. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom