Opening date for New Fantasyland announced

Skyway

The difference between FLE's "grand opening" and most others is that, this time, the need for capacity outweighs the benefits of a "big reveal".

When E:E opened in early spring '06, it was carefully choreographed to coincide with Discovery Channel documentaries, network morning shows, and magazine publications in hopes of getting people to think about Disney just as they were planning their upcoming summer vacations.

Disney simply can't afford to keep FLE behind walls as the Thanksgiving crowds descend on Orlando. There's no way they'd allow 2 hour lines at Pan and Pooh and just keep Mermaid boarded up.

lebeau

Looks like you are out of luck unless you are staying until after November 19th.

11/19/12 to 12/05/12 is the soft opening, with 12/06/12 as the official opening.

The only way to see it before 11/19/12 is to be a Passholder, CM, or DVC member but I don't know what date any of those people are allowed to start seeing it (maybe as early as 11/12/12).

I wish you luck in finding some way to experience it and hope you get to enjoy it during your trip as I will have to wait until next June to see it in person.

I like Steve's answer better. ;)

Jim Handy

I think this is a little too conspiracy theory.

People have been waiting for opening dates, and now Disney gave them to us. We always knew it would be "the holidays" but nothing more specific until today. Clearly they just got hard opening dates set and are reporting it.

It's not a "reaction" to anything, media or otherwise.

You'll drive yourself crazy if you think everything is some top-secret double-bank-shot the Mouse is throwing as part of some conspiracy with ulterior motives.
At 10 AM this morning, the Parks Blog posted their weekly FL update. No mention of dates.

The earnings call did not mention any dates. It would have been a fine time to announce it. They talked about Fantasyland, but didn't touch dates.

It wasn't until after it came out WDW attendance was down, that they released the dates.

Tom

Beta Return
Isn't Airtran part of Southwest now? Southwest gives credits too. Got me a $94 credit earlier today. :cool:

SW owns Airtran now, yes. But they still operate as independent airlines, for now. We're booked with Airtrain, and it appears our flights have gone down some. Did they automatically give you a partial refund, or did you have to call and beg?

Patricia Melton

Darn! Looks like our October trip will be a big fat magical tour of construction walls. [sigh]

It's smart on their part, though, to wait until now to spring the trap... er, let us know specific dates. If I'd known back when I booked my trip (when "Fall 2012" was the official opening estimate) that we had zero chance of seeing the expansion, I'd have waited until 2013. Now it's too late for us to reschedule without incurring substantial inconvienience and flight reservation fees. I gambled and lost. Thanks to the closure of Test Track and Country Bears during our visit, and the permanent closure of Snow White, there will now be less for me to see at WDW than when I was last there seven years ago, instead of more. Bummer!:(

I feel really badly for you.

Is there any chance that you could go to City Hall when you get into MK and tell them that there's less for you to see this trip than seven years ago and that you are bummed that you made your reservations or this time right before things opened...and maybe they will do something magical for you?

Not sure if they do this, but I think something magical to offset the bummer would be in order for you.

Can't hurt to ask, right?

Patricia Melton

Think if I stand by the wall with my 1.5 year old and almost 3 year old daughters looking sad they will let us in during AP previews? :)

At least we hit the last Halloween party on our first day and the first Christmas party on our last full day.

That was some fun (or lucky) planning on your part...to go to the last Halloween Party and the first of the Christmas Parties. I've never gone down in the fall to WDW but will have to do that one year and I am going to do exactly what you did when planning our time there.

rudyjr13

Original Poster
That was some fun (or lucky) planning on your part...to go to the last Halloween Party and the first of the Christmas Parties. I've never gone down in the fall to WDW but will have to do that one year and I am going to do exactly what you did when planning our time there.

Part luck part planning. Touring plans calendar gave me the idea based on their predicted dates for both. We had to tack on one extra night to hit the Christmas party. Been to both in past and both are fun. I'm very interested to see how they transition from one to the other over the week.

Did you just discover this site or something? Been posting like crazy. I've been following since I got back from my 9/07 trip but only post if I can contribute.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
SW owns Airtran now, yes. But they still operate as independent airlines, for now. We're booked with Airtrain, and it appears our flights have gone down some. Did they automatically give you a partial refund, or did you have to call and beg?
I gave them a call. Took 10 minutes, and they gave me a credit. Cash back would have been better and I don't know if I'll ever use the credit, but if I do, It'll be worth the 10 minute call. If not, all I missed was a few jokes in a rerun of Big Bang Theory anyway, and in the long run, that isn't much to lose for a $96 credit.

Tom

Beta Return
I feel really badly for you.

Is there any chance that you could go to City Hall when you get into MK and tell them that there's less for you to see this trip than seven years ago and that you are bummed that you made your reservations or this time right before things opened...and maybe they will do something magical for you?

Not sure if they do this, but I think something magical to offset the bummer would be in order for you.

Can't hurt to ask, right?

Um.......no. You don't go to City Hall to cry about them not opening an expansion around your schedule. Nothing magical would be in order for this guest (no offense) or any of the other thousands of guests whose trips didn't coincide with the opening of the new land.

Where's the :brickwall: emoticon when I need it?

Patricia Melton

Um.......no. You don't go to City Hall to cry about them not opening an expansion around your schedule. Nothing magical would be in order for this guest (no offense) or any of the other thousands of guests whose trips didn't coincide with the opening of the new land.

Where's the :brickwall: emoticon when I need it?

That's why I asked, because I did not know.

I have no idea what Disney does to make up for something like this. I've never had to worry about it because I go every year so if something is not up and running when I am there, I just chalk it up to "we'll do it next time". But when a family only goes every seven years or so, it's a bigger deal that there are less attractions now then seven years ago.

Disney has a reputation for making magic happen so I wondered if asking the right way and being nice about it but expressing the disappointment would lead to some magic for this family.

No need to toss out that "brick wall" thing at me for asking, whatever that means.

Tom

Beta Return
That's why I asked, because I did not know.

I have no idea what Disney does to make up for something like this. I've never had to worry about it because I go every year so if something is not up and running when I am there, I just chalk it up to "we'll do it next time". But when a family only goes every seven years or so, it's a bigger deal that there are less attractions now then seven years ago.

Disney has a reputation for making magic happen so I wondered if asking the right way and being nice about it but expressing the disappointment would lead to some magic for this family.

No need to toss out that "brick wall" thing at me for asking, whatever that means.

Being compensated for disappointment sets a bad precedent. They roll out their openings strategically (or at least I'll pretend they have ANY business sense, and do this), just for this very reason - to encourage guests to become repeat visitors.

umpasmom

Hello everyone. I am new to this site, and new to vacationing at Disney. I was hoping someone could explain to me what 'previews' mean. Does that mean just certain guests get to go see it? If so, how do they pick the guests. We are staying November 24th to December 1st and would love to get to see the expansion. We are considering switching our dates around, but if there is a chance we could 'preview' it....

Adam5897

Well, the crowds will be "out of this world" so to speak!:eek: I will wait...:D

I think that When WDI designed the new FL they made it so not many people will be seen. If I'm correct while waiting for little mermaid your not seen while walking through, same with 7DMT and with all the trees and layering it should be fine and all of the character spite will help. It will be very crowded the first few months but it should b one after that

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Do you mean the first day you'll be able to get a reservation for would be on Nov. 19, or they won't start taking reservations until Nov. 19th??

I believe it was previously announced that reservations would open later this month, with your getting seats starting in November.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom