Only a year and a half away from Harry Potter Land and still nothing from Disney!

EpcotServo

:lol:

There's no way missing the "brain fire" effect on ROTM is as bad as missing the Yeti on Everest, which is the only thing going for it (ROTM has plenty of other effects and two different Imhotep animatronics).

I'm just telling you the facts....

If I get Yeti in B mode on a ride at Everest, I don't feel mad. Dissapointed a bit, maybe. But I don't feel ripped off.

Now with ROTM (Which, don't get me wrong, is a favorite of mine.) if the the first Imhotep is on his laughbly lame B-Show, Brain Fire is off, or the second Imhotep is off, (all of which I've seen break alot, even all at once) I feel downright TICKED off that I waited to get on it.

Maybe it's just because more of Everest is set in stone, while ROTM is all effects in the dark.
:shrug:

EpcotServo

What I'm getting from this thread is that people prefer TSM, because it's made by Disney, or becuase of some connection with that movie from their childhood. However, I rate attractions based on how good the actual attraction is, not on the franchise its based on. If the Hogwarts ride and Kuka arm ride are actually true, then they will blow TSM out of the water.

P.S.
If I were to base an attraction on its franchise then its HP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Toy Story, and to most people I know, thats hardly debatable.

Ok, whateva. Nobody's getting my point so I might as well go bold or go home.

TOY STORY MIDWAY MANIA WILL BE A MUCH BETTER ATTRACTION THAN ANYTHING AT POTTERLAND

Eat it, Joel. Eat it.

coasterphil

I'm just telling you the facts....

If I get Yeti in B mode on a ride at Everest, I don't feel mad. Dissapointed a bit, maybe. But I don't feel ripped off.

Now with ROTM (Which, don't get me wrong, is a favorite of mine.) if the the first Imhotep is on his laughbly lame B-Show, Brain Fire is off, or the second Imhotep is off, (all of which I've seen break alot, even all at once) I feel downright TICKED off that I waited to get on it.

Maybe it's just because more of Everest is set in stone, while ROTM is all effects in the dark.
:shrug:

You know why you don't feel disappointed when the Yeti is in B mode? It's because the AA plays such an insignificant part in the attraction, which I thinks proves just how poor the theming of the ride itself is. They do a wonderful job building up the myth/legend of the Yeti is the awesome queue, and the climax is a split second look in the dark at an AA? Totally underwhelming.

Those missing effects in Mummy bother you because they are integral to the attraction. You look forward to seeing them because they are interesting and play an intergral part in moving the story along, unlike the Yeti AA. Universal actually made an attempt to make their coaster more than just a basic ride with a backstory, a projection, and a backwards portion thrown in, which is what I consider EE to be thanks to the underwhelming Yeti encounter. The ride actually tries to tell a story through some great effects that you actually have a chance to appreciate.

Also, even with the first Imhotep in B-mode (which is the only thing I've ever seen not working and fewer times than B Yeti) I still enjoy Mummy so much more because the track layout is better than EE's.

I don't want you to think I'm picking on you EpcotServo, it's just that you are one of the few people in here that has actually been to Universal enough to form opinions. There's no use in trying to discuss things with someone that has never stepped foot on their property.

EpcotServo

You know why you don't feel disappointed when the Yeti is in B mode? It's because the AA plays such an insignificant part in the attraction, which I thinks proves just how poor the theming of the ride itself is. They do a wonderful job building up the myth/legend of the Yeti is the awesome queue, and the climax is a split second look in the dark at an AA? Totally underwhelming.

Sorry, no cigar. The Yeti, where it's placed, how it's used, everything is perfect.

Why I'm not dissapointed is because I enjoy the ride and the themeing more than ROTM, and because B-Show is actually more thrilling than A-Show.(Even though A Show is still the best.)

Mummy is just Darkness and effects...when the effects don't work...mostly darkness.

:wave:

fosse76

I think some of you people get a little too wrapped up in themeing. Six Flags doesn't go in depth with themeing for one simple reason: it isn't necessary. I bet if you look at the numbers, Disney's most popular attractions are thrill rides, and would be just as popular without the themeing. Most people could care less about themeing...sure it can enhance the ride experience (make a so-so cookie cutter roller coaster seem state of the art, i.e., RnRC), but the thrill the ride delivers will be more important to the average guest. If most people aren't aware a dinosaur is supposed to be circling around them, they aren't going to notice when it is broken. Take for instance the Kingda Ka at Great Adventure in NJ. There is absolutely no themeing to this very short ride (about 30 seconds). It generally has a 3-hour wait (of course, this is because it breaks down about every five minutes). But it is without a doubt one of the best rides I've ever been on, and I would take this over any themed ride at Disney or Universal any day. If it were themed it MIGHT make it a better ride, but it does just fine on its own.

Disney was designed as an immersive experience, to hide the realities of the real world. Universal was designed to offer a more thrilling experience which was lacking in Orlando to compete with Disney over guests Disney didn't seem to court: thrillseekers. But to argue one park is better than the other because it has better themeing is tiresome. IOA's problem isn't that Disney is better, it's that it is not adding rides that people want. Harry Potter is a global phenomenon. This is an expansion project they really needed (and Disney's concept was ONE dark ride). For those complaining that it will be nothing more than a few lame dark rides to justify souvenirs stands and food establishments I have two words for you: World Showcase. Universal isn't trying to steal Disney's guests away, they are trying to get them to expand their vacation experience. After all, they know they are not...by themselves...the resort experience Disney is.

Personally, I enjoy Disney because I love theme park architecture and it does have some fun rides. But I have more fun on rides I find at Universal and Six Flags because they are more thrilling. Walt Disney himself originally didn't want rides and attractions in his park that you could find anywhere else...it was when one of his advisors suggested themeing it to look like no other that he swallowed the bait (the Matterhorn at Disneyland, which became the park's most popular ride). If Disney had lived long enough, I bet half of the classic attractions in the parks that some of you champion and live by would have been removed long ago, because he was all about being state of the art.

Rosso11

I bet if you look at the numbers, Disney's most popular attractions are thrill rides, and would be just as popular without the themeing.

Hate to break it to you but Disney's most popular attraction is not a thrill ride. Its Buzz lightyear in the MK. More people ride this every day than any thrill ride. You can't just look at how long the wait time is. Thrill rides definitly are very popular but unfortunatly most do not have high ridership levels. They take a very long time to load and unload causing the long lines. You say Disney's thrill rides would be just as popular without the themeing. I dare you to find any free fall attraction in the world that is half way as popular as Tower of Terror. If TOT had no themeing they would have taken it out allready just as Great adventure took out free fall last year.

Legacy

Hate to break it to you but Disney's most popular attraction is not a thrill ride. Its Buzz lightyear in the MK. More people ride this every day than any thrill ride. You can't just look at how long the wait time is. Thrill rides definitly are very popular but unfortunatly most do not have high ridership levels. They take a very long time to load and unload causing the long lines. You say Disney's thrill rides would be just as popular without the themeing. I dare you to find any free fall attraction in the world that is half way as popular as Tower of Terror. If TOT had no themeing they would have taken it out allready just as Great adventure took out free fall last year.

Acrophobia: Six Flags Over Georgia

fosse76

Hate to break it to you but Disney's most popular attraction is not a thrill ride. Its Buzz lightyear in the MK. More people ride this every day than any thrill ride. You can't just look at how long the wait time is. Thrill rides definitly are very popular but unfortunatly most do not have high ridership levels.

Numbers please. I wasn't using wait times...though they can be a helpful indicator. I don't know what planet you live on where thrill rides don't have high ridership levels. Go to any park in the country, and I guarantee that the most ridden ride per day will be a roller coaster. I opertated both a coaster and the railroad, and the railroad, despite having larger capacity, was barely around 900 guests per hour.

They take a very long time to load and unload causing the long lines. You say Disney's thrill rides would be just as popular without the themeing. I dare you to find any free fall attraction in the world that is half way as popular as Tower of Terror. If TOT had no themeing they would have taken it out allready just as Great adventure took out free fall last year.

I dare you to find any that's not. Great Adventure's Free Fall was outdated and needed to be removed. Most parks with newer generation free fall rides (the drop towers) and the S&S Shot towers are very popular in their respective parks, and none are really themed to be anything more than what they are. While of course there can be caveats that a non-thrill ride can be more popular than a thrill ride, there's a reason that Disney's coasters, Splash Mountain, Test Track, Soarin' and Dinosaur are extremely popular. They can be thrilling. If Disney plopped a bare-bones, non-themed roller coaster in one of their parks, I guarantee it would be very popular (assuming of course, it wasn't a dud of a ride).

Fun2BFree

Hate to break it to you but Disney's most popular attraction is not a thrill ride. Its Buzz lightyear in the MK. More people ride this every day than any thrill ride. You can't just look at how long the wait time is. Thrill rides definitly are very popular but unfortunatly most do not have high ridership levels.

Pop·u·lar
thinsp.png
[pop-yuh-ler] – adjective
Regarded with favor, approval, or affection by people in general: a popular preacher.

Buzz may have more people ride it per hour, but I doubt it's in many people's top-10 lists of attractions. Rather, "thrill rides" like Splash, ToT and RnRC appear on them, regardless of capacity.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Park opened in 1990.

Wild Wild West Stunt Show - 1991
Back to the Future - 1991
A Day in the Park with Barney - 1995
Fievel's Playland - 91
Curious George Goes to the Park Play Area - 98
Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse Coaster - 99
Beetlejuice Graveyard Review - 92
Twister: Ride it Out - 98
IoA Preview Center - 97
T2:3D - 97
Soundstage 54 - 97
Herc and Xena - 97
STARtoons - 92

So... in the first decade of the parks existence it has had three years without a new attraction announced: 93, 94 and 96. Looks to me like Universal has been consistently doing things to their parks. Your statement is simply wrong.
No offense, but just look at that list. It's mostly a bunch of attractions that folded after a season. I don't want to pick a fight, just making a point.

Legacy

No offense, but just look at that list. It's mostly a bunch of attractions that folded after a season. I don't want to pick a fight, just making a point.

I'm too tired to fight, and it is true that some of them no longer exists. The last three are gone, though Studio 54 and the Herc and Xena/Murder She Wrote theater is still there, there's nothing in them. Wild Wild West turned into Fear Factor (unfortunately) and Back to the Future is no the Simpsons. The IoA preview center obviously doesn't exist anymore. Fievel's Playland was seriously scaled back to accomodate the NutCoaster and Curious George. But aside from those six (half the list) everything is there still.

I think the conversation has veered to a contest of wits, and what really needs to be understood is that this Harry Potter attraction will be an addition of a Hogwarts Castle constructed near HP themed areas. This new ride will feature a new technology which will be simulator-like, with greater capability, thus giving a different type of ride that not many have experienced before. Great.

Now, let's get one thing straight, Universal has never been successful at creating an AA, ok? The dinos are not AA's; they are simple mechanisms that cause the "robot" to move forward or shake (maybe even turn). The Mummy has a shaking "boy" and a AA-like figure that looks like it's seizing (a problem that Disney imagineers knew would happen, and hence didn't push the limits of their AA's until the 100 series could correct for this problem).

Why do I bring this up? Think about it, a Hogwarts themed ride will either have to be another 4-d experience, which could be seen as a simple extension of Spiderman, or an AA interactive realm (i.e. AAs). But unless the Universal team is able to figure out AAs or find a way to project in a way that is lifelike, I really have a hard time seeing this ride as breakthrough.

Sure, Disney has been a little lazy with regards to coming up with innovative ideas (a 3-d shooting gallery, a touch tv screen, and a coaster with a mountain around it). Does this make them any less enjoyable? I don't believe that to be true; the "popularity" is still relatively high for at least 2 of these, the third being moderate. The same can be said for Universal. Adding Mr. Walken apparently boosts popularity to a ride that's been there for years.

When it comes down to it, the experience will be just that, an experience. Some who love HP will be happy if it's true to the story. Those who love immersive rides will enjoy the story around them. Will this change the distribution of attendance? Most likely it will have an impact for about a year. Overall, this ride will eventually become another part of a whole, no longer standing out, except in IOA. For those of you who want to raise your hand and argue Spiderman, I have this to say: does the presence of the ride cause Disney to lose a significant capacity? Do you this that the ride alone has increased the number of guests staying on Universal sites? Yes, HP fans may be the deciding factor, but I feel that as with the movies, what JK believes to be acceptable will not fly with most fans.

Oh, and the only issue I have with the HP area is the fact that you will most likely see Hogwarts from some other area of the park before entering the Magical Realm (I assume it will be very clear from the entrance across the lake). I don't care that you are supposed to "see the islands" or that it should be the most noticeable because of how great it may turn out to be. When I want magic, I want it to be separated from my DNA science and Cartoons. :p

That being said, those of you who pop into the board and make a snide comment about how annoying these posts are, you can simply stop reading.:brick: Magical, isn't it?

pheneix

Now, let's get one thing straight, Universal has never been successful at creating an AA, ok?

Dude, you never got to ride Kongfrontation did you?

And its not like Universal is hard up in finding people with knowledge on how to build the things. Disney just fired all their AA designers.

Dude, you never got to ride Kongfrontation did you?

King Kong was slow and huge. If they can figure out how to fit that into the sometime human-size, then power to them.

And its not like Universal is hard up in finding people with knowledge on how to build the things. Disney just fired all their AA designers.

If this is true, their knowledge is protected by contract (i.e. proprietary information), you can bet Disney will watch to see if a) they are hired by Universal and b) the technology appears on the rides. Sure, they could have been secretly doing the work on their own for the past few years, but I'll believe it when I see it.

As for absolutlely needing AAs, they could use the Disaster tech. on the ride (would make sense as a sort of beta test), but I wonder if it's too difficult to use. I figure that they will have to theme the ride around something that occurs in Hogwarts with HP (as rumors point to the Chamber of Secrets). Either they have to pull video from the movie to fix the age problem (could be redone with CGI, i guess) or use a different actor. I almost feel that is more work than necessary. They have enough time to do it, so I don't see it as a huge problem in the long run.

My argument was that when we argue over AA technology between the parks, there is no comparison. That is one way that Universal has not outdone Disney. And sorry to say this, but a painted cutout coaster is a painted cutout coaster, and RnR and the Mummy are simply that. Add in the thrill of a loop in one and fire in the other, and I like them both equally. Choose your poison but don't tell me yours kills faster.

pheneix

There is no contract that the former Imagineers signed as there is no proprietary information that Disney cared about. Disney decided that other companies can make animatronics better than they can* and fired the whole lot.

The Walt Disney Co. will begin out-sourcing the manufacturing of Audio Animatronics because of too much demand on staff time, according to an Imagineering memo sent to the Orange County Register and Disney Imagingeering Spokeswoman Marilyn Waters

http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/2008/06/13/disney-to-out-source-audio-animatronics/

* Considering the Yeti at Everest sits in B-mode for so much time I would arrive at the same conclusion.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
There is no contract that the former Imagineers signed as there is no proprietary information that Disney cared about. Disney decided that other companies can make animatronics better than they can* and fired the whole lot.

http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/2008/06/13/disney-to-out-source-audio-animatronics/

* Considering the Yeti at Everest sits in B-mode for so much time I would arrive at the same conclusion.

I think you're reading into that wrong. They've outsourced the building of the lesser AA's for attractions, nothing about them "firing everyone" :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom