Only a year and a half away from Harry Potter Land and still nothing from Disney!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The JP boats for IOA were designed to NOT soak guests like the one in USH...apparently people were getting too wet, then mad that they'd walk through a gift shop where they sell towels

dandaman

I'm sorry but you can not generalize an entire group of individuals. I happen to be a teenager and I will take the richly detailed Everest over the Hulk any day.

Bingo.

disnyfan89 said:
When I go to a theme park I look for a full experiance! I want a story that has a Beginning, Middle, and End. Not just a ride that is losely tied to a story to get by.

Eh... not-so-bingo. :eek:

Like Legacy posted... and you've taken the time to dissect :lol:, many attractions at Universal contain rich stories. Some admittedly are rather ambiguous, but so are a few in Disney.

...That's really as far as I want to go with that. I love Disney, Universal, Cedar Point et al. for many different reasons... for their OWN different reasons. :)

disnyfan89

I know... and that's also how it is with E.T. Adventure.

But the difference with E.T. is you start off in a soundstage where you are shown a video of Speilberg who talks about his film and then tells you that its up to you to help E.T. find his way home. You are then sent into a room with a bunch of computers and have to give your name. And then you are suddenly without a proper transition thrown into a Forrest. At least with Star Tours its a transition into the world of the film. But yes you are correct, it is essentially the same.

...That's really as far as I want to go with that. I love Disney, Universal, Cedar Point et al. for many different reasons... for their OWN different reasons. :)

Im the same way. I love theme parks in general but I will admit that I have a special place for Disney. Im actually surprised at how involved I have become with this entire conversation.

:brick:

Cat in the Hat
I would hope they couldn't f'up a prewritten story.

That's true... Universal shouldn't get credit for doing a prewritten story justice in an attraction. Neither should Disney for Splash Mountain, any Fantasyland attraction, Seas with Nemo, or any of the many, many shows that retell a story.

also...

ET
You start off in a soundstage but soon get thrown into a forrest, how does that make sence? The ride itself does have a plot and it does have a decent conclusion.

In any attraction in Disney's Hollywood Studios, you start in a movie backlot and end up in another world. This is especially true of the highly-praised Toy Story Midway Mania, which gives little clear explanation to the presence of a giant Andy's bedroom in the middle of Pixar Place.

Now, it should be remembered, some of the most beloved Disney attractions of all time have no clear storyline.

Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain, Tower of Terror, and Soarin all have less-than-stellar explanations. This doesn't mean they aren't great rides!

disneyparksrock

What I'm getting from this thread is that people prefer TSM, because it's made by Disney, or becuase of some connection with that movie from their childhood. However, I rate attractions based on how good the actual attraction is, not on the franchise its based on. If the Hogwarts ride and Kuka arm ride are actually true, then they will blow TSM out of the water.

P.S.
If I were to base an attraction on its franchise then its HP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Toy Story, and to most people I know, thats hardly debatable.

AndyMagic

:wave:
Anyone remember the last time, "INCOMING!" from DINOSAUR actually had anything 'incoming'? There has never been a time on Dinosaur for me where that effect didn't work! I have had times when my car came to a and the audio stoped but I still saw the effect.Or how about the smoke in the time-travel room. Or how about the jumping rabbit in Splash Mountain Used to never ever ever work. Now I see every ride along with every effect in working condition.Used to be like the Mummy! Would work only 1 out of ten times when you ride but now works great!, the jasmine smell on Philharmagic Was removed becuase it was causing alleges to go off with the guest. It was replaced with another extra scent in the Be Our guest segment., the mist in Everest This was cuasing the safety sensors to malfunction so they cut the line so that the mister could never work again. Safety comes before show on Disney's list of priorities!, the simulated car crash on Test Track... Was also reworked to a new effect that works every time.I could go on. As could I! I can't think of one case on a Universal ride where the effects on opening day didn't get maintained and still work 10 years later. Even T2:3D still has every effect in perfect working order and there are a lot of little things that would go unnoticed to the majority of people if they just stop fixing them. I could say the same about Muppets! As well as the Great Movie Ride, and Tower of Terror, and RNR, or Space Mountain, or Mission: Space, or Ellen's Energy Adventure, or Malstrom, or MILF, or Buzz, Jungle Cruise, or, well you get the point. Bottom line: what crack are you smoking? End Rant Here.

You did such an odd thing by editing what you were quoting from me that it is impossible for me to respond but I will try. The INCOMING effect from Dinosaur has worked for you? You're either lieing or you don't know what the effect originally was. The dinosaur is supposed to move along on a track and come toward you, not just sit there with a strobe light on it. So no, the effect doesn't work for you and has been broken for about 5 years because Disney gave up on it. The Jasmine smell was not "replaced" by pastry scent. There were always two scents planned for that attraction but they gave up on the jasmine effect and didn't replace it. They could have easily come up with a different scent that people weren't allergic too but they didn't feel like it. You basically just proved my point about the jumping rabbit by saying, "it used to never work but now it does." Correct I guess... until it breaks again and it takes them another 4 years to fix it. As for the mist on Everest, you're just making excuses for a simple effect that should work. Did the designers not TEST this effect before implimenting it? Did they not know it would mess with sensors? Also, why does it effect the sensors on Everest but not on rides like Mumjmy which has smoke and mist throughout the track? The whole, "it effects the sensors so it is dangerous to put the mist on" lame excuse doesn't work because these rides cost 100 million dollars and the imagineers aren't idiots. They could easily find a way to make it work but they assume it isn't worth the effort to fix. The point of my post was to point out the hypocrisy of saying Universal doesn't maintain their rides when not only is that not the case, but Disney has been pretty poor at this as of late.

disnyfan89

That's true... Universal shouldn't get credit for doing a prewritten story justice in an attraction. Neither should Disney for Splash Mountain, any Fantasyland attraction, Seas with Nemo, or any of the many, many shows that retell a story.

also...

In any attraction in Disney's Hollywood Studios, you start in a movie backlot and end up in another world. This is especially true of the highly-praised Toy Story Midway Mania, which gives little clear explanation to the presence of a giant Andy's bedroom in the middle of Pixar Place.

Now, it should be remembered, some of the most beloved Disney attractions of all time have no clear storyline.

Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain, Tower of Terror, and Soarin all have less-than-stellar explanations. This doesn't mean they aren't great rides!

Please don't get me wrong. Im not being 100% serious with my comment about cat in the hat. In fact it is one of my favorite rides at IOA. I also realize Disney takes stories that are prewritten and uses them in their attractions.

Please also note my complaint about E.T. is that it is not a smooth transition into the world of the film. Unlike most attractions at DHS.

I also have to disagree with your last comment. Both Pirates and Haunted Mansion started off as an "experience ride." However both have had a rework to include a more defined story.
Pirates are invading the town to find both Jack Sparrow and the gold in the town. Jack Sparrow is at the same time trying to beat Barbarossa and his crew to the treasure while trying to avoid capture.
Haunted Mansion is inhabited by several ghost. One of which is a gold digger who kills all of her husbands including our ghost host.
BtMRR does in fact have a story behind it. I will however admit that your average guest and many on this forum may not be aware of it.
Tower of Terror most certainly has a strong solid story. To say otherwise is just asinine. It is clearly explained in true twilight zone fashion and then you get to experience it for yourself.
I will give you Soarin.

nuttyskadork

also...

Number one, at least with Splash Mountain, etc, they aren't just showing you scenes from the book.

I havent ridden TSM yet so I cant comment

But are you kidding me about the no storylines? Haunted Mansion has one of the deepest storylines in the park (granted it's not always clear to every guest). Tower of Terror's story is clearly explained in the pre-show. I'll agree with Soarin' obviously as it's supposed to be more of a simulation of actual sky diving. No need to talk about that.
Pirates of course now just has the movie storyline.The ride itself is more about the theme or the era of the time; but there are dozens of individual stories throughout the ride (e.g. the dog and the jail cell).
Big Thunder has somewhat of a story. In fact I noticed (as I'm sure most of you already know) that it's train was listed on the departure list at Fronteirland railroad.

disnyfan89

:wave:

You did such an odd thing by editing what you were quoting from me that it is impossible for me to respond but I will try. It's a fairly common method of responding on this and other forums. :shrug: The INCOMING effect from Dinosaur has worked for you? You're either lieing or you don't know what the effect originally was. The dinosaur is supposed to move along on a track and come toward you, not just sit there with a strobe light on it. So no, the effect doesn't work for you and has been broken for about 5 years because Disney gave up on it. First of all, I do not lie. You saying that is a cheap shot. Second! As far as I can tell the carnatosaurus does indeed extend out. I was also referring to the asteroid which is what the "incoming" is referring too. Not the carnatosaurus. That is an added surprise. The Jasmine smell was not "replaced" by pastry scent. There were always two scents planned for that attraction but they gave up on the jasmine effect and didn't replace it. They could have easily come up with a different scent that people weren't allergic too but they didn't feel like it.You are right. The pastry smell did not replace the Jasmine smell. An additional smell was added to the Be Our Guest Segment! This is added for the flombe (sp?) before the pastry tray. As for not replacing the jasmine smell in the whole new world segment, well it would be pointless don't you think. Jasmine smelled like jasmine! Any other sent wouldn't fit for obvious reasons. You basically just proved my point about the jumping rabbit by saying, "it used to never work but now it does." Correct I guess... until it breaks again and it takes them another 4 years to fix it. And the same thing can be said about the Mummy audio anamatronic. It used to never work. Now it does. I guess Disney and Universal and even on that front. At least when the Brer Rabbit figure broke down it was not noticeable. When the Mummy figure breaks down its very noticeable to the casual guest! As for the mist on Everest, you're just making excuses for a simple effect that should work. Did the designers not TEST this effect before implementing it? Did they not know it would mess with sensors? Also, why does it effect the sensors on Everest but not on rides like Mummy which has smoke and mist throughout the track? The whole, "it effects the sensors so it is dangerous to put the mist on" lame excuse doesn't work because these rides cost 100 million dollars and the imagineers aren't idiots. They could easily find a way to make it work but they assume it isn't worth the effort to fix. I am not an engineer nor a designer for either attraction. Different roller coaster companies use different parts and methods to build their coaster. For all I know Disney added the mist effect after the construction of the roller coaster was complete and there for the approriate sensors where not used. Also, the mist and smoke effect in the mummy are indoors. For all I know that could have an effect on sensativitey of the sensors. All I know is that it was reported on this forums that the mist effect became a safety issue and in Disney world Safety comes before show. As for those idiot imagineers. Imagineers also designed IOA! The point of my post was to point out the hypocrisy of saying Universal doesn't maintain their rides when not only is that not the case, but Disney has been pretty poor at this as of late.

I am sorry but on any given day I can go to both resorts and see the difference in maintenance. Disney used to lack in this department but as of late they have been very active and the parks and older attraction look like never before. There is less peeling paint and gum on the walls. Audio figures are in good condition and if not are removed to be fixed and replaced in a timely manner. Universal continues to have average maintenance.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Its amazing the length some people go to, given the absence of a life.

Hello....... 99% of guests are non fan boys and dont care!

This has reached tedium now...............................

TP2000

I've been skimming this thread for a couple days, and this just hit me...

What exactly is PotterLand going to offer? How many rides and shows and stuff will it have? Is there a big, signature E Ticket opening with the land?

So far all I've gleaned from this thread is that an expansion area is opening at IOA themed to Hogwarts Castle. It will have shops and restaurants, and two existing Six Flags style coasters nearby will have their queues rethemed to Potter. And a "Kuka Arm" attraction will open. Is this like the Kuka Arm ride they have here in SoCal at Legoland? Or will this be something new where you travel through a show building past sets and animatronics and special effects while suspended from a moving Kuka Arm? :confused:

Could someone summarize the number of new rides, and what they are going to be like, in this PotterLand addition?

Thus far, it sounds like a themed addition of some shops and restaurants, with a D Ticket Kuka Arm ride and rethemed existing Six Flags coasters that have been there for years. Am I missing some big E Ticket I haven't picked up on?

Again, I've only been skimming. I'm a skimmer. :cool:

Legacy

Refutation of the story-attraction list...
You are looking far too into them in order to find justification for not counting their story. Example:

How can logs go uphill in Splash Mountain.
How are all those birds in a room and no bird p00p be seen anywhere.
Wait... this Star Wars garage looks like a Soundstage from the front.
Who would be stupid enough to build a room with no doors or no windows.
Why would they just leave Little Red in the back of the truck. Shouldn't a vet be looking at him immediately.
Why is the Evil Queen's reflection so much taller than her body before she turns around on Snow White's Scare Adventure.

Legacy

What exactly is PotterLand going to offer? How many rides and shows and stuff will it have? Is there a big, signature E Ticket opening with the land?

So far all I've gleaned from this thread is that an expansion area is opening at IOA themed to Hogwarts Castle. It will have shops and restaurants, and two existing Six Flags style coasters nearby will have their queues rethemed to Potter. And a "Kuka Arm" attraction will open. Is this like the Kuka Arm ride they have here in SoCal at Legoland? Or will this be something new where you travel through a show building past sets and animatronics and special effects while suspended from a moving Kuka Arm? :confused:

Could someone summarize the number of new rides, and what they are going to be like, in this PotterLand addition?

Thus far, it sounds like a themed addition of some shops and restaurants, with a D Ticket Kuka Arm ride and rethemed existing Six Flags coasters that have been there for years. Am I missing some big E Ticket I haven't picked up on?

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is that Universal is developing a family thrill ride (similar to Spiderman) utilizing Kuka Roboarm technology. It was rumored that Disney wanted the technology to be used in an Incredibles attraction, but Universal got and and (just like Spiderman) got a ten year exclusive on the system.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Wow, I had no idea that Six Flags invented the rollercoaster...wow...things you learn on these message boards :rolleyes:

disnyfan89

You are looking far too into them in order to find justification for not counting their story. Example:

How can logs go uphill in Splash Mountain.
How can my raft go up hill in a building?:shrug: If it's a water treatment plant why does my raft even fit and where are the stages of filtration. :shrug:
How are all those birds in a room and no bird p00p be seen anywhere.
Really good Janitors!:lol:
Wait... this Star Wars garage looks like a Soundstage from the front.
Yes, well, it is a soundstage! Just like E.T.
Who would be stupid enough to build a room with no doors or no windows.
This chamber only appears to have no windows and no doors. How else would you have gotten in? Mansions, built with all sorts of clever stuff. :lol:
Why would they just leave Little Red in the back of the truck. Shouldn't a vet be looking at him immediately.
They just caught the poachers (where are they would be a much better question!) and we only see little Red for at most 30 secs. I'm sure he will be taken back shortly to be looked at. Although he has been there for a long time. Ten years it seems like. :lol:
Why is the Evil Queen's reflection so much taller than her body before she turns around on Snow White's Scare Adventure.
She must have a thing for Carnival mirrors! :lol:

:D :wave: :hammer:

AndyMagic

I am sorry but on any given day I can go to both resorts and see the difference in maintenance. Disney used to lack in this department but as of late they have been very active and the parks and older attraction look like never before. There is less peeling paint and gum on the walls. Audio figures are in good condition and if not are removed to be fixed and replaced in a timely manner. Universal continues to have average maintenance.

I'm not going to sit here and continue this conversation in depth because you clearly have your mind made up even though you provide no evidence of your own nor a proper rebuttle of my own. However I WILL say that the, "INCOMING" from Dinosaur is supposed to refer to the Terrordactyl above your head which is actually on a track. It has nothing to do with the Carnatourus or the asteroid. It hasn't worked in years and you'll find countless threads about Dinosaur and its effects which have changed (aka, not been repaired and simply ignored). Also, it is clear you visit Disney much more often than Universal so you're opinions on the frequency of maintence holds no water. :wave:

disnyfan89

I'm not going to sit here and continue this conversation in depth because you clearly have your mind made up even though you provide no evidence of your own nor a proper rebuttle of my own. However I WILL say that the, "INCOMING" from Dinosaur is supposed to refer to the Terrordactyl above your head which is actually on a track. It has nothing to do with the Carnatourus or the asteroid. It hasn't worked in years and you'll find countless threads about Dinosaur and its effects which have changed (aka, not been repaired and simply ignored). Also, it is clear you visit Disney much more often than Universal so you're opinions on the frequency of maintence holds no water. :wave:
You are correct. Please forgive my confusion. It is true that a lot of things dont work in Dinosaur. The Terrordactyl has indeed not worked in forever. I am more than aware of all the original effects on Dinosaur that no longer work. Animal Kingdom is still however in a state where they need Dinosaur to be open because of it's e-ticket status in the park. Perhaps when the next attraction opens at AK Dinosaur can be closed for refurbishment and these effects fixed.

I would actually say that I visit each park an equal amount each year. I have passes for both and use them quite frequently. However, even if I did visit Disney more than Universal how would that make my observations irrelevant? I see both resorts monthly and the general condition they are in. It has been my past experiences that has lead me to believe Disney has better up keep for their parks. Simply my opinion.

Gatorboy

I can't believe that no one has bothered to point out that the gross revenue of the I-Drive district (Universal, Sea World, Convention Center, Rosen, and everything else in between) already outdoes the Walt Disney World resort. Disney just gets to have a large amount of business generated under one umbrella, thus their marketing department gets to hype themselves and claim "we RULE Central Florida!"

Orlando has matured into many different directions that do not include Disney. Harry Potter is going to intensify this trend. Greatly.

I would have to see revenue figures to back that claim. I would imagine the gross revenue of WDW compares nicely. And yes they can claim they rule Central Florida. The Rosen??? WDW 8 premium resorts...Convention Center... result of tax base created by WDW.... Universal... wouldn't even know where Orlando was if not for WDW.... I-Drive.... direct response by band-wagoneers after WDW. You forgot the world class airport that wouldn't be there if not for WDW... The Magic... would be in Tampa if not for WDW...Lets face it, if not for WDW, Orlando would still be a small cattle town...Please, give the mouse the credit it deserves! As far as HP intensifing this trend greatly, a Billion dollar theme park aka IOA didn't intensify anything in 1999, why should an addition magically change all. By the way, I love Orlando and have watched it grow since I was a kid. Love everything about it. Matter of a fact, plan on retiring to this area...Celebration of course!

hokielutz

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is that Universal is developing a family thrill ride (similar to Spiderman) utilizing Kuka Roboarm technology. It was rumored that Disney wanted the technology to be used in an Incredibles attraction, but Universal got and and (just like Spiderman) got a ten year exclusive on the system.

This is the umpteenth time you've made this assertion on this thread.... I get your point already (although I disagree), and I am sure everyone else does too.

mickeyismyhero

I dont think it really matters because disney always does something to keep people there.And i myself go to disney not stay there kids would kill me lol :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom