Online ADR booking

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Belle, do they let you make as many ADRs for one person at the same time or does it stop you from booking the same times/same day ADRs for the same "person" who would do something like that?

WDWCP

uh-oh... PLEASE tell me you didn't use Oracle Application Server against a backend DB from the 80's.... :ROFLOL:

If so? Envision all the highways in the north Bay of San Francisco converging on ONE bridge... at rush hour. You'll get the idea....

Not an Oracle fan, eh? :)

DisneyJoe

Not an Oracle fan, eh? :)

I'd rather work the Oracle database than any other BUT one needs to have the knowledge to tune it properly...and distribute the load properly. Amazon and eBay are two of the largest examples of successful Oracle database use.

The Oracle App Server, on the other hand......

DisneyJoe

for what it's worth, I know a LOT about WDIG and they don't hire poor programmers... not by any stretch.

then they have poor managers, system architects, system test plans and testers, DBA's or SOMETHING!

If my systems crashed or had as many issues as Disney's systems I would have lost my job long long ago.

There is absolutely no excuse, in this day and age, for such lousy IT system issues.

Edited to add - the programmers can be top notch, but if what they are programming wasn't designed properly, then their work means nothing.

WDWCP

then they have poor managers, system architects, system test plans and testers, DBA's or SOMETHING!

If my systems crashed or had as many issues as Disney's systems I would have lost my job long long ago.

There is absolutely no excuse, in this day and age, for such lousy IT system issues.

Edited to add - the programmers can be top notch, but if what they are programming wasn't designed properly, then their work means nothing.

It's always MUCH more complicated than blaming any one component of an IT system or staff member(s)...

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Hi there, I have not tried, nor would I advocate my clients doing something like that, sorry I cant offer more information. Belle

Its okay...I figured as much as double and triple booking people would be something youd shy away from, but I was curious if there were rules or anything set up, but I guess not.

fyn

I can't agree with this more! Rolling this out to the public during free dining ADR windows would be a huge mistake, IMHO.

I disagree. With any system, you want to start stress testing ASAP. The free dining ADR window will be the best opportunity to flush out bugs in the system, if just by sheer load. Doing this well in advance of the holiday season, and also in a lower volume year than previous (or future, if you're optimistic) times makes a whole lot of sense.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I disagree. With any system, you want to start stress testing ASAP. The free dining ADR window will be the best opportunity to flush out bugs in the system, if just by sheer load. Doing this well in advance of the holiday season, and also in a lower volume year than previous (or future, if you're optimistic) times makes a whole lot of sense.
While I would agree that you do want to stress test you want to start off slow and work your way up. Launching online ADR's to the general public during free dining would be like giving someone 1 weeks worth of karate lessons and and then shoving him in the octagon with Chuck Liddell.

GymLeaderPhil

From what I've heard this was first rolled out to the Reservations Center earlier this year.

Unfortunately they were not able to run both the existing and the new system together - which would have allowed a staggered test/adjust period from location to location.

fyn

While I would agree that you do want to stress test you want to start off slow and work your way up. Launching online ADR's to the general public during free dining would be like giving someone 1 weeks worth of karate lessons and and then shoving him in the octagon with Chuck Liddell.

I don't really see a reasonable way to prepare the system for the holiday season then. Getting that kind of real world load testing isn't trivial, and I'd rather suffer some setbacks for September ADRs than December. ;)

nibblesandbits

Yes...I understand...and agree that it should have a litmus test...however, I already know it's hard enough scheduling dining ressies right now, since the window was pushed back to 90 days and to add the whole new online ADR system on top of that will make what is already a realtively hard task, even more difficult. I can only imagine somebody trying to do the online ADRs and showing up in Sept. and then being told...I'm sorry, we don't have any of your dining ressies on file. (Of course, that would stink anytime...but during free dining when there will be practically no restaurants to even fall back on...a major problem.)

To litmus test it, I think a better time is when the October ADRs can be made. It's after free dining, but before the holidays. It gives them time before the heavy hitters of the holidays.

DisneyJoe

I don't really see a reasonable way to prepare the system for the holiday season then. Getting that kind of real world load testing isn't trivial, and I'd rather suffer some setbacks for September ADRs than December. ;)

Stress testing tools - for databases, web front ends, etc have existed and are improving daily - there is no reason the system shouldn't have been pushed well beyond any theoretically maximum load already by automated tools.

They know from existing data, from many past years of dining reservations, how many ADR's are made in certain periods. Take that number, multiply by 10 or even 100 - and stress test the system until it handles that with ease - THEN release it to the travel agents.

Yes, these tests cost money - and time - and good planning....... eh, I guess that's my answer.....

fyn

Yes...I understand...and agree that it should have a litmus test...however, I already know it's hard enough scheduling dining ressies right now, since the window was pushed back to 90 days and to add the whole new online ADR system on top of that will make what is already a realtively hard task, even more difficult. I can only imagine somebody trying to do the online ADRs and showing up in Sept. and then being told...I'm sorry, we don't have any of your dining ressies on file. (Of course, that would stink anytime...but during free dining when there will be practically no restaurants to even fall back on...a major problem.)

To litmus test it, I think a better time is when the October ADRs can be made. It's after free dining, but before the holidays. It gives them time before the heavy hitters of the holidays.

I don't think October ADRs will create the kind of stress on the system that September would, and that's as close as they'll get to the December load as possible. If some percentage of your reservations are going to get eaten by data loss during high load scenarios, do you really want that to happen during your peak? Testing in October isn't going to flush out bugs in the system like September testing would. September testing minimizes guest dissatisfaction in December, and that's the most important time.

fyn

Stress testing tools - for databases, web front ends, etc have existed and are improving daily - there is no reason the system shouldn't have been pushed well beyond any theoretically maximum load already by automated tools.

They know from existing data, from many past years of dining reservations, how many ADR's are made in certain periods. Take that number, multiply by 10 or even 100 - and stress test the system until it handles that with ease - THEN release it to the travel agents.

Yes, these tests cost money - and time - and good planning....... eh, I guess that's my answer.....

Generating tests to simulate thousands of end to end transactions per second isn't trivial, and simply generating the load isn't the issue. You have to generate the load, create random queries, random transactions, random latencies, all the while maintaining a deterministic design in your tests so bugs can actually be investigated. Sure, Disney could have spent millions creating a test infrastructure and delayed this by months, if not a year, but they're being smart with their money and leveraging beta tests in a real world environment. That's smart management.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom