One Sentence Competition, Season 6, Episode 1 - The Soft Reboot

tcool123

Las Posadas River Journey starring The Three Caballeros

Las+Posadas+1.jpg

Las Posadas River Journey starring The Three Caballeros joins Epcot's Festival of the Holidays lineup as a simple yet effective holiday overlay taking guests on a journey as the Caballeros, led by Panchito, and a group of kids go on a search for a pasada. The screens prior to the big town scene will show the journey the kids take as the caballeros help them, through La Ciudad de Mexico; upon arrival to the big town scene the kids have finally found posada, and they celebrate with the townsfolk with a large fiesta de Navidad. The screens after the big town scene will show Panchito is saddened he himself has not found posada yet, and it leads to Donald and Jose searching for posadas throughout Mexico ending in them realizing that they can offer Panchito posada, as his chosen family, culminating in the Three Caballeros concert scene.​

DisneyManOne

I'll admit: This one was very tough for me, as I had already provided one heck of a holiday overlay last season with Space Mountain: Glorious Galaxy, and I fear that anything I do here won't live up to that. But, here goes nothing...

Winnie the Pooh and Christmas Too

MV5BMjMyMjgzOTc5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDY3NzgxMzE@._V1_.jpg

Every year, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh tells a different story around the holidays: instead of Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day, it's the story told in the classic 1991 holiday special. When the Hundred Acre Wood gang sends their list to Santa Claus (or should I say, second list, because Pooh forgot to add what he wanted to the first one), the winds send it back to Pooh, who decides to don the mantle of old St. Nick and tries to give his friends what they asked for. But with a little help from Christopher Robin, they may find out what Christmas truly is about.

Evilgidgit

My return to Stumpedland is not yielding many good ideas, so I decided to think like Bob Chapek!

Frozen Ever After: Olaf's Seasonal Spirit
1180w-600h_112017_olaf-frozen-adventure-q-and-a-780x440.jpg
Frozen Ever After is close to feeling like a permanant holiday attraction, but not near enough! The World Showcase boat ride welcomes a Christmas overlay, as Olaf and Sven spread good cheer to both Arendelle and Northuldra, covering the North Mountain in fairy lights and decorating all of the tree in baubles. Accompanied by Anna and Kristoff, Olaf leads up to meet Elsa in her ice palace, before sailing back down the mountain, passing by the elemental spirits on the way back down, before a riveting yuletide finale passing through Arendelle.

An alternate idea was to give Shanghai's Voyage to the Crystal Grotto into a Disney Villain Halloween overlay, but the idea was clicking with me.

Disney Dad 3000

Hey Bob, hear me out before you call security; Seven, Dwarves, Christmas, Train. (7DXT)

7D Chrismtas Train.jpg

We've already got a tremendous backdrop with the mountain and trees and we decorate every single one of them head to toe with lights and ornaments everywhere sprinkling in fake snow, deer, static dwarf figures and other decor giving beautiful 360 degree viewing around the entire attraction. We'll string lights throughout the queue, add a seven dwarves version of Jingle Bells, while the jewel scene will be updated with ornaments and the dwarves making a general mess of things with the final cottage scene capping it off with a wonderful holiday party and on top of that we'll produce a money-making 7 poster set of each dwarf celebrating the holidays in their own style to accompany the attraction overlay.

*Ding*

Disneylover152

High in the Sky: Merry Trolley Train Ride

The Sneetches are on Christmas Break at the High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride, as a brand new seasonal overlay comes to "Seuss Landing" at Universal's Islands of Adventure during Grinchmas!

This new overlay will feature a new ride audio telling you a twist on the classic Dr. Seuss story of How the Grinch Stole Christmas, telling you how the Grinch BROUGHT Christmas to Seuss Landing.

This attraction will feature new holiday decor throughout, a brand new Grinch and Max animatronic in the final show scene (interacting with guests in the same way as Roz in the "Monster's Inc" dark ride in DCA), and a brand new show scene on the rooftop portion of the attraction, bringing this iconic scene from the story below to life.

1602387698406.png

D Hulk

Chicken Little Adventure
Temple of the Falling Sky

dahj741-26d9b1a5-12c8-46ee-a165-3a0d6f7b747e.gif

Like a spherical silo which kinda resembles a boulder crashing through a movie theater playing Raiders of the Lost Ark, so does Chicken Little forcefully smash his way into Disneyland's Adventureland every April 1st (and the weeks surrounding it), enveloping Indiana Jones Adventure within the imaginative and immersive world of Disney’s beloved Chicken Little.

The ride seems normal through the queue, until guests board their jeeps and - April Fools! - Chicken Little’s grating voice comes over the radios instead of Sallah’s, as he and his lovable friends Abby Mallard, Runt of the Litter, and Fish Out of Water all histrionically warn guests about “the Eye of Mara”...of course guests ignore their warnings.

You’ll swear the sky is falling as the temple erupts into chaos, made extra chaotic and ridiculous when animatronic residents from Oakey Oaks appear along the way to lead us to safety away from a sudden random invasion of UFOs into the ride!

Were I not dedicated to this idiotic Chicken Little running gag, I’d’ve totally done a Halloweentime Bald Mountain overlay of Matterhorn Bobsleds. Sigh!

Last edited:

Outbound

Enough with all this Christmas nonsense: I'm here to bring to you the real holiday, July 22th, National Mango Day, At the break of dawn, the Haunted Mansion opens gates as the Haunted Man-go, where all the ghosts are inexplicably obsessing over (and even seeing) floating ghost mangos. That night, all the large-scale mango decorations are removed and the overlay is never acknowledged again.

Ok but actually though...

THE JUNGLE CRUISE: LOVEBIRDS EDITION

1.jpg

The Jungle is set for romance! For the month of Valentine's Day, the Jungle Cruise is rethemed to the "Lovebird Cruise" with heart-shaped floral arrangements around the riverbends and a plethora of redesigned sequences showing the various animals of the jungle expressing their love for one another, including one intentionally LGBTQ couple as some species are known to do. A relaxing (but still silly) trip through the jungle.... though, of course, it's not all lovey-dovey, because the Skipper has a whole new topic to discuss: their many terrible exs!

Last edited:

FireMountain

The Hollywood Tower Hotel Christmas Party
Sunset-Seasons-Greetings-Flurry-of-Fun-Christmas-Holiday-2017-8.jpg

During Christmas time, the Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios will be changed for the season, starting with Christmas Decorations lining the exterior and an occasional live band in the lobby playing Christmas tunes. The ride's story will also get a change, with a lightning strike hitting the hotel during a Christmas party, and some mysterious force keeping the party going since then. The actual ride will be covered with Christmas related imagery, with fast, jazzy Christmas tunes accompanying the final drops!

pix

Soaring over Christmas is the newest seasonal overlay capturing guests of all ages in the wonderful magic of Christmas as they journey with Santa Claus himself as he travels around the world delivering presents. Guests will be enveloped by new scents like gingerbread, peppermint, fresh baked cookies, mulled wine and more as they see how different places around the world celebrate this magical holiday. After delivering all the presents Santa takes us back to the North Pole with him to see the toy shop, the elves, and the freshly falling snow as the ride ends in this winter wonderland.

Santa.jpg

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
T7jewy1.png

@TwilightZone - A Spaceship Earth Carol
Out of curiosity, would the relationship between Eleanor and the Ghost of Christmas Past at all resemble a certain fairy and a certain child's friendship in Steps in Time? :p

This is the type of idea that is tough to judge with the One Sentence format because it all depends on the execution. If this was executed well, it would be incredible! If it wasn't, Disney would be crucified for doing this to Spaceship Earth. I think I like it though. Especially since I could see it not changing much of the ride itself, just adding decorations and new narrations and its about the History of the Holiday instead of the History of Communication. It feels like a very "Epcot" take on a holiday ride. But like I said, it all depends on the execution for if this would work or not. I would LOVE to see this as a full project!

@spacemt354 - #HappyBrithdayMickey
PTSD flashbacks to that Sorcerer Hat aside, this is a really cute idea! With how much projection tech is used for this attraction and how simple you keep the changes, this feels incredibly realistic and a great way to plus the ride! I'd love to take this even a step further and do the same concept for a Valentine's version for February and maybe even an Independence Day version for July. The potential of having multiple versions of the ride throughout the year just really excites me! But that doesn't mean that the version you did here doesn't excite me too. The birthday theme is so unique and works so well and would be such a fun twist!

@DashHaber - Coco: Tour of Remembrance
This is the idea I would have done myself if I was a player! And with how much of that ride is screens it would be a relatively easy ride to update. I like that you kept it simple, but also made it clear it wasn't just a book report. I also admire that you didn't overexplain things. You kept it short, sweet, to the point. Actually one sentence for the one sentence contest! Brilliant!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
T7jewy1.png

@Brer Panther - TTA Peoplemover... the Christmas Edition
This so perfectly captures the tone of WDW's Tomorrowland! The alien building 9 toys at once is so perfectly in line with the land's style that reading it almost feels more like remembering something that was there rather than being told a new idea. Like you said, sometimes simple is better. Especially in WDW where overlays are a lot more rare. This would be a good middle ground between what WDW does and what DL does for the holidays.

I'm only four projects into reading/reviewing and so far all four of them are medal worthy. This will NOT be an easy round for me, but that is an excellent problem to have!

@DlpPhantom - Millennium Falcon: Life Day Delivery
First off, about a year ago I would've immeadietly written this off as a meme or a joke project. But then the Mandalorian had 3 Holiday Special References just in episode 1. Plus, there's a new Lego Star Wars Holiday special coming out that I believe is also about Life Day. Star Wars has started to own it and accept it as canon. In about a years time this kind of idea went from basically a joke to actually pretty realistic. And just like Space's idea for MMRR, the very digital nature of this ride would make this a very easy overlay to add making this once again very realistic. It is right on the line between being a hilarious meme and an amazing idea. I think it might just work as both.

@Pufflefan - MATTERHORN BOBSLEDS/EXPEDITION EVEREST RESCUE MISSION (HALLOWEEN)
This is an interesting. I'm not as familiar with Matterhorn, but Everest is already a more intense ride theming wise. Doing smaller things like you suggest here would be a good way to up the ante a bit more for the spooky season. Usually I would say this is too intense for Disney, but the way you set it up and the ride you chose sidestepped that issue wonderfully and avoided the Alien Encounter issue of traumatizing kids. A very fun overlay!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
T7jewy1.png

@InspectorSpacetime - Soarin': Winter Winds
Yes! Epcot is known as the festival park, and yet none of the rides do anything for any of those festivals really. This might be just another case of swapping out the video on screens/projections, but this is just such a great idea that I really don't mind that. This would be a beautiful way to update Soarin for the holidays. And I remember when it switch to digital that there were rumors of multiple versions going around. Different versions of Soarin to rotate is something I've wanted for a while! The photoshop art is really well done too, same with the fancy title work. Presentations aren't really what I try to judge on here, but it's always nice to see something nice looking and it helps it stand out.

@tcool123 -
All the good things I said about adding a Christmas overlay for Epcot in Inspector's review and good things I said about the Mexico Boat ride apply here too of course. What I like about this is that I had to research it a bit. I had never heard about Posado. Which means this could educate people in a very good way about different cultures making this an overlay that really fits into the spirit of the World Showcase. All while still being very fun and simple. I don't have to much to say about this, but I really love it!

@DisneyManOne - Winnie the Pooh and Christmas Too
I have super vague memories of this being an actual Christmas special or episode of the tv show. Is this based on something or am I going crazy?

Either way, this would be such a cute and charming ride. Pooh isn't the most popular ride in the park, so closing it for enough time to set this up wouldn't be too big a deal the way some rides would. You do a good job describing it in a way that implies not too much of the actual ridethrough would have to change to make this work. Winnie the Pooh's laid back vibe and focus on friends/family makes it a perfect fit for holidays. If this wasn't such a competitive round you would medal easily with this. But people have been exceeding my expectations like crazy this round, so we'll have to see how the medals shake out.​

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
T7jewy1.png

@Evilgidgit - Frozen Ever After: Olaf's Season Spirit
This is interesting because Frozen already has a Christmas special that you could've just been lazy and adapted that and it would have worked. But you went the extra mile and made something new and better suited to the ride. You do a good job blending in some Frozen 2 elements also without it feeling overbearing or forced in there. At least just based on the elevator pitch of the overlay.

Sidenote: Disney Villain Crystal Grotto would've been rad too.

@Disney Dad 3000 - Seven Dwarves Christmas Train
I love how you both incorporate the "Elevator ride with Bob" into your presentation and how you made it sound like you were holding Bob Chapek hostage at the time lol. You always do a great job bringing some comedy to your projects and this was a good example of that.

When I first saw the title, I was ready to write it off by saying "The ride has 3 hour waits regularly still, it's too busy to be able to close for an overlay." But then I read it and realized how simple and low key you kept it. An overlay that could easily be set up with no more than a week of downtime. What appeals to me most about it though is how you used this to improve Fantasyland as a whole for the holidays! Like you said, the mountain already makes a tremendous backdrop for much of the land. The additions you make here and decorations you are pitching would mostly be able to be seen from throughout the entire land. One ride's overlay could serve as an overlay for the whole section of the park! Plus, like I said in InspectorSpacetime's review, presentation doesn't actually count towards reviews, but it is always nice to see things like a custom sign for the ride.

@Disneylover152 - High in the Sky: Merry Trolley Train Ride
This is a tough one to judge objectively because it just combines so many personal nostalgic loves. Plus, it breaks out of the Disney Bubble (Something all the NBA players resisted doing) which helps it stand out too. Seuss Landing is stunning at Christmas time and they already have a lot of Grinch stuff, yet the Trolley ride is so focused on the land as a whole that I don't think this would be too much Grinch adding him in here too. It would be a simple and realistic overlay seeing as the ride only has two real showscenes. But just the addition of new narration and the decorations already all throughout the land would be enough to make this stand out! My only worry is that this would be too beloved that they'd just keep it year round. Which would take away Sneetch representation which would be a shame since that was my favorite childhood Seuss book lol.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
T7jewy1.png

@D Hindley - Chicken Little Adventure: Temple of the Falling Sky
Chicken Little is obviously Disney's best IP ever and the fact that they've been sitting on a movie that was bigger and better than Frozen and Lion King combined for years is insane! So, using that immediately puts you as a front runner!

I gotta applaud you, this was not an easy prompt to include Chicken Little in lol. There's only one prompt later in the game I have planned that would be more difficult to include Chicken Little haha. Playing an April Fools Prank on the Indiana Jones ride was a fun idea. I really admire how much effort you're putting into your theme this episode.

@Outbound - THE JUNGLE CRUISE: LOVEBIRDS EDITION
I love Mangos! They are delicious and my favorite kind of smoothie! Was honestly kind of hoping for some obscure holidays. That being said, Valentine's Jungle Cruise is probably the smarter choice lol.

The Jungle Cruise lends itself really well to overlays. The tongue in cheek tone of the ride can cover a lot of cheesiness that might pop up with temporary decor. The focus on the Skipper's narration makes it easy to add more jokes and change the experience simply. I know I gave Jingle Cruise as an example of an underwhelming overlay, but personally I always enjoy it even if most people I know don't care for it. You include a lot of neat touches like LGBTQA representation and a jaded skipper joking about exes. This would be so much fun.

@FireMountain - The Hollywood Tower Hotel Christmas Party
The Christmas projections on the Tower of Terror was something I was really skeptical about when it was announced. It just felt like such an odd idea. I actually saw the show and it was a lot of fun! But the contrast between the jolly and the spooky was a little jarring. Which meant that at first I was skeptical of an overlay for Tower of Terror. But the way you describe would actually work really well. It would keep the somber tone while just adding some very classy Christmas atmosphere to it. This would work so much better than Toy Story turning the Tower of terror into blocks or whatever the show they did was. Plus, well done Christmas Horror is always a blast. Did you see Krampus? So good! My one big note... A live band might be out of place. Dead would be much better ;)

@pix - Soaring over Christmas
C3PXnzh.png

So, this proposal has maybe a few similarities to what @InspectorSpacetime did lol. But I know I've had rounds where I didn't read all the other proposals. With the lowkey, simple nature of this game I've definitely just pulled out my phone and types something up without even glancing at the rest of the players in a past episode or two. Its especially easy to do when there's a lot of players and we have 16 submissions this round!

Though they aren't the same really. Where the Inspector focused on more real world landmarks, your's has a much more fantastical and cartoony approach. Both versions have their own pros and cons. More grounded fits into Epcot better, but more cartoony fits Christmas better. Your focus on the scents really does capture one of the best parts of the original Soarin' though and the colors in the write up make it a very pleasant read.​

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
A fantastic Third Scene! I almost always wind up saying "This was a really tough round to judge" or "this was such a close race" every round. I always mean it to a certain extent, but I also am usually at least somewhat kinda saying it to be nice. It usually isn't toooooo too hard to choose a top 5 and then widdle it down from there. This round I mean it that every entry deserved a medal. There wasn't a single weak entry or issue that amounted to more than nitpicks.

Everyone who submitted something gets 1 point just for playing, but medal winners will get extra points on top of that!

And now for the awards!!!!

Ps5WGu1.png

Honorable Mention
@D Hindley -
Chicken Little Adventure: Temple of the Falling Sky
Honorable Mentions isn't necessarily "4th Place." This award goes to a project that excelled in one area, but had something else holding it back from the top 3. In this case, this was probably the most challenging prompt to figure out a way to work in Chicken Little and you gave me an honest chuckle reading it. Well done!

L30Y5yp.png

Bronze Medal (1 Point)
@Outbound - THE JUNGLE CRUISE: LOVEBIRDS EDITION
There was just something so charming about this that it just made me smile reading it. It is the type of thing that is tough to describe, but this idea just had such a "spark" to it that I couldn't help but love it.

zihTg3C.png

Silver Medal (1 Point)
@Disneylover152 -
High in the Sky: Merry Trolley Train Ride
I was surprised you were the only one to venture outside of Disney, but you did and did it well too! It was such a simple idea, but the kind of simple that I read it and was immediately struck with bewilderment that this wasn't already a real thing!

DrRz15D.png

Gold Medal (2 Points)
@tcool123 -
Usually holiday overlays wind up just being "Good for a month or two," but your project manages to improve on the actual ride and make it fit better into Epcot/World Showcase and make just an overall improved experience! Plus, you taught me about a tradition from another culture I had never heard of before. All around just a perfect choice for this.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Scene Four
The Little Mermaid's Farewell Voyage

oILMlmr.png

You're an aspiring Imagineer in an elevator with Disney's CEO, Bob Chapek. You overhear him on the phone talking with Imagineers about a problem in the parks.

-The Problem-
The Voyage of the Little Mermaid has been delighting guests in Disney's Hollywood Studios for nearly 30 years! It blends live actors, special effect, lazers, waters, puppets, giant puppets, video screens, blacklights, and all kinds of effects to create a one of a kind show. The kind of show you could only find in a theme park. But it's become rather dated and stale. The videos are still roughly VHS quality for pete's sake! This show has been on the chopping block for years, there's not much longer it can keep going.

voyage-of-the-little-mermaid-8491.jpg

There isn't much time left in this elevator ride, but now is your chance to impress the Big Cheese and propose a solution that will earn you a place in the Imagineering Hall of Fame!

-The Prompt-
Propose a solution!
Propose a new multi-media show for the Little Mermaid theater!
Not just a regular stage show, the type of experience you could only get at a theme park.

The theater is relatively small and designed for a shorter show that can cycle guests quickly. So, try not to plan a 3 hour rock opera or anything like that.

-Rules-
You may use between 1 and 3 sentences and up to 1 picture.
The deadline will be at 11:59 PM EST on Wednesday, October 14th

-Tips-

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple, silly.
This is an elevator pitch, not a full project!
It isn't about more detail, it is about the right details!

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it realistic?
Does it fit thematically/visually?

giphy.gif

Good Luck everyone! Have fun! Go create!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom