One Sentence Competition, Season 6, Episode 1 - The Soft Reboot

Suchomimus

I'm seriously wondering if Max and Moritz are gonna end up like our old pal, Volcano Bat -- recurring characters among the Imagineering forums.
Headcanon: Max and Moritz have a love-hate relationship with Volcano Bat; having played a couple of pranks on him but also played some pranks with him. Volcano Bat also makes some nice barbecue and takes them on adventures when they’re not pulling pranks.

DisneyManOne

Max and Moritz E-Ticket for the finale
Man, that's gonna be a tough one. I already did the Mr. Toad-esque concept, and I don't know how else to translate the story to a ride format.

Also, I found this recently. It's a film adaptation of the story, told entirely through music. And they took great lengths to make sure it looked just like the original illustrations. They even do animation at some points! And if you can't understand German, not to worry. The script is just the original Wilhelm Busch text, word-for-word, and if you want to have a translation, here it is.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Man, that's gonna be a tough one. I already did the Mr. Toad-esque concept, and I don't know how else to translate the story to a ride format.

Also, I found this recently. It's a film adaptation of the story, told entirely through music. And they took great lengths to make sure it looked just like the original illustrations. They even do animation at some points! And if you can't understand German, not to worry. The script is just the original Wilhelm Busch text, word-for-word, and if you want to have a translation, here it is.

I have learned so much obscure and interesting knowledge through this forum and I love every bit of it!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Scene Four
The Little Mermaid's Farewell Voyage

oILMlmr.png

You're an aspiring Imagineer in an elevator with Disney's CEO, Bob Chapek. You overhear him on the phone talking with Imagineers about a problem in the parks.

-The Problem-
The Voyage of the Little Mermaid has been delighting guests in Disney's Hollywood Studios for nearly 30 years! It blends live actors, special effect, lazers, waters, puppets, giant puppets, video screens, blacklights, and all kinds of effects to create a one of a kind show. The kind of show you could only find in a theme park. But it's become rather dated and stale. The videos are still roughly VHS quality for pete's sake! This show has been on the chopping block for years, there's not much longer it can keep going.

voyage-of-the-little-mermaid-8491.jpg

There isn't much time left in this elevator ride, but now is your chance to impress the Big Cheese and propose a solution that will earn you a place in the Imagineering Hall of Fame!

-The Prompt-
Propose a solution!
Propose a new multi-media show for the Little Mermaid theater!
Not just a regular stage show, the type of experience you could only get at a theme park.

The theater is relatively small and designed for a shorter show that can cycle guests quickly. So, try not to plan a 3 hour rock opera or anything like that.

-Rules-
You may use between 1 and 3 sentences and up to 1 picture.
The deadline will be at 11:59 PM EST on Wednesday, October 14th

-Tips-

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple, silly.
This is an elevator pitch, not a full project!
It isn't about more detail, it is about the right details!

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it realistic?
Does it fit thematically/visually?

giphy.gif

Good Luck everyone! Have fun! Go create!
This is due tonight at 11:59 EST!

As always, if someone needs extra time let me know!

Either comment here or message me privately to ask. I know California is having some issues with power outages and being on fire. This game is easy enough to do on phones without much issue, but I don't want anyone to feel extra stress or pressure if they'd rather wait.​

tcool123

Cinemation.png

In this spectacular show join Oswald on his quest to restore the balance in colour when he accidentally releases the Phantom Blot from his inky pen prison as Oswald stumbles around various colourful locales learning maybe it's not so bad to be black and white. In Everybody Wants to Be A Cat Thomas O'Malley teaches to embrace uniqueness, in Out There Quasimodo teaches to enjoy the world around you, in Dig A Little Deeper Mama Odie teaches to look beyond what you want, and finally preluding the World of Color finale, Oswald faces off with the Phantom Blot realizing this is what he risks becoming if he continues only caring about his colour scheme. Throughout the show guests will be dazzled through puppetry, live singing, changing environments (screens wraparound the theater to transport into each scene i.e. Notre Dame or Mama Odie's Boat), lasers, confetti, ceiling decorations (glass bottles lower in for Mama Odie), and even a hydraulic floor to shake everyone during the explosion of colour at the end when the Phantom Blot is defeated.​

Outbound

CAPTAIN EO: LIVE!

1602729853117.png

The classic Disney adventure of Captain EO returns... live! By combining physical sets with puppetry, digital screens, and visual effects, Disney has brought back the attraction in an entirely new form. The old story remains (aside from a few narrative tweaks) even to the 4D effects, but there is now a much greater impact among guests watching the performance, as the events are truly unfolding right before their eyes... the only real difference is casting, which while still opening with a tribute to Micheal Jackson, the actors are now able to craft their own interpretations of the characters, songs, and overall story.​

Disneylover152

Magical Passage
Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 11.31.31 PM.png

Magical Passage is a brand new 25-minute multi-media theatrical experience hosted by Jimminy Cricket, celebrating the magical journeys that Disney characters go on to become who they are.

The show features a heartwarming princess medley with Pocahontas, Ariel, and Rapunzel, a Peter Pan section, and fans of the Main Street Electrical Parade will love the Finding Nemo segment as the EAC comes to live using hundreds of lights and sea turtles reminiscent of the whirly bug units from the Alice in Wonderland unit.

In addition to all that, guests will be able to fly with Wall-E and Eve as you soar through outer space using drones and live characters, play along with Miguel in the Land of the Dead using skeleton puppets and live actors, and a watch an unforgettable climax combining puppetry, drones, lighting, and a huge screen wall as you follow Moana as she restores the heart of Te Fiti.

pix

Coming to Hollywood Studios is Sleepy Hallow storytime, where talented puppet masters bring the legend of Icabod Crane and the town of Sleepy Hallow to life. In this short 20 minute show guests will follow Icabod Crane as he meets Katrina, learns of the legend and gets chased by the Headless Horseman himself. Guests will enjoy this high paced show as a lovely contrast to the slow moving music filled Little Mermaid show.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
KVOuSx4.png

@TwilightZone - Step in Time with Mickey
I really was shocked to see you do a version of Steps in Time :p ;)

A Tamatoa segment using the blacklight puppets would be astounding! That's my favorite part of the Little Mermaid show and this would be a fantastic spiritual successor. The whole show is great though. The Mickey doll coming to life is a unique touch and a puppet Mickey would solve the problem of the costume character being so giant compared to how he is in cartoons. The actual show itself wouldn't be too far off from the usual Mickey and the Adjective Noun show format, but using the multimedia and a few unique twists you find a way to set your show apart!

@Brer Panther - The Nightmare Before Christmas: The Boo-sical
Love the name! This show feels so real. The stop motion figures from Nightmare before Christmas would lend themselves so well to the type of large scale puppets and stuff you describe. You keep the show itself as a simple adaptation of the movie story wise, but what makes it special are the effects and that was exactly what I was hoping for with this prompt. This would be a perfect evolution of the Mermaid show.

Of course, as we've seen in past prompts, just because something what I was picturing when I wrote the prompt doesn't mean its the best option. You guys tend to be a lot smarter than me hahaha.

@NateD1226 - Genie's Wishes
The Genie is such a good host for things like this! You took the best part of the Aladdin Musical from DCA and then built a whole show around it! I feel like this sort of sets Genie up as a "Disney" character rather than an "Aladdin" character. Something he's been tredning towards for a while. And by that I mean he can stand completely on his own without context because he represents what makes the company as a whole great. Sort of like Jiminy Cricket or Tinkerbell. The type of character you see and think "Disney" before you think of the movie they came from. I think that's a smart move and something Disney really should be shooting for with Genie.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
KVOuSx4.png

@spacemt354 - Life's Purpose
This is an interesting on the review because you really used the pompt as just a jumping off point to do some amazing things! As a player, I've done this a lot too and it can be a ton of fun! I absolutely love the jazz city expansion of Pixar in the park. The music in pixar films is so crucial to them and using that as the main tie is one of the best "Pixar Land" pitches I've seen. You also make great use of MDE and Magic Bands to do some really fun things. This is exactly what Disney should be using this technology for throughout the parks! Of course, while all this stuff is amazing, where it has sort of leapt past the prompt it isn't things that will be a big deciding factor for the results.

The show itself is tough to judge though. The movie looks great, but I don't really know much. It is sure to be a hit from what I've been hearing. I saw one headline for a review calling it Pixar's best film since Up. It is just tough to review the show when I really don't know much about it. But in theory it should be amazing!

@DisneyManOne - Dumbo: Live on Stage
I love this! You truly took advantage of the multi-media format to create a show that couldn't be done anywhere else. Various types of puppets, projections, myst, it is fantastic! Dumbo is not something you think of for a stage show (Strange Disney Channel Show, sure. But not a stage show). Yet you've found a way to make it work and work amazingly! I will say though, maybe a little too detailed with run-ons for a one sentence project. But it is clear that comes from passion rather than from trying to "cheat" at this game. I get the sense the whole show practically is already made inside your head and I would adore to see this turned into a full project!

@Evilgidgit - Merlin and the Trials of Magic
I was NOT expecting to see Sword in the Stone here yet you pulled it off wonderfully! While the movie may not be the most popular or best, Merlin has stood the test of time as a beloved character. I like to think his role in Kingdom Hearts has done a lot for keeping him so relevant too (Do you think Arthur in that universe is a keyblade weilder?). His spells and magic tricks could lend itself well to a special effects filled spectacular like this and the Mad Mad Mad Madam Mim climax would be so much fun to see with live effects and puppetry! Definitely feels like one of the more oddball picks, but a really great one!.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
KVOuSx4.png

@InspectorSpacetime - Hollywood Royalty
IP free stage shows for theme parks are always tough to pull off. With established characters, guests already are familiar and you can dive right in to the action. With an original story and characters you have to take the time to introduce them and their world. That being said, your use of common archetypes and parodies of common Hollywood tropes sidesteps this issue. People may not know your leads going in, but they know what an air headed starlet is and seeing one will have guests instantly understand what's going on. Overall, this is a great show and would be a ton of fun! I can't say if it would be the best, but for my specific personal tastes (Singing in the Rain is my all time favorite film), it would definitely be my favorite. Only concern is whether it will be as good a fit for the location in the park as something with an IP.

@Pufflefan - The Pixar Invasion
This sounds like a really fun show! It reminds me of a castle stage show, but for Pixar. A mishmash of various IPs with a loose story connecting them, but the story doesn't matter because it's just a fun jumble of different beloved characters! Like Space's project, you also found a better way to tie Pixar stuff together than most real world attempts in the parks lol. I could see this being a very realistic choice, especially with the eventual Pixar Invasion take over of that corner of the park feeling inevitable.

@D Hulk - Chicken Little's Cinema Fantastique
Chicken Little is obviously Disney's best IP ever and the fact that they've been sitting on a movie that was bigger and better than Frozen and Lion King combined for years is insane! So, using that immediately puts you as a front runner!

Once again you impress me by turning the meme theme you gave yourself into genuinely good. If it wasn't for details like Dingbattus Cattus the furry bait OC lead, this would have a serious shot at a medal! The MST3K set up followed by the characters getting caught up in parodies of movies would be a perfect fit for this park's style and tone. Plus, it would take advantage of Chicken Little's cynical and goofy tone. Honestly, swap out the host IP and make some tweaks here and there, this would be slam dunk idea for Disney to do!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
KVOuSx4.png

@DashHaber - The Fantastic Flicker Show
This is such a simple show concept, yet such a strong one. A movie fan who's become jaded rediscovering his love for the wonders of film through a magic projector that brings Disney magic to life. Perfect! Short sweet and to the point! Perfectly captures the vibe I want from the park as a whole too. It is no longer about seeing behind the scenes like when Disney MGM Studios opened. Now Disney Hollywood Studios is having an identity crisis trying to find its new theme. Your show would be a perfect "thesis" for the parks recent direction. A love letter to the magic of movies and a place to experience it first hand!

@tcool123 - Cinemation
Oswald! Phantom Blot! Thematic reasons for the various scene and a strong character arc! Everybody Wants to be a Cat! This show has it all! A little bit of the same issue with DManOne of getting a bit too run-on-y with your sentences, but like him it clearly comes out of passion more than anything. You definitely pitched the whole show rather than just the elevator pitch concept, but the show is simple enough still that I won't hold it against you or anything. You did a great job with this and utilizing some less popular IPs to create something special. And with a great thematic tie through out.

@Outbound - Captain EO: Live!
This would be so much fun and could be an amazing tribute to a fan favorite cult classic. The use of practical effects and focus on choreographed dancing would lend itself so well to a live stage show! And there would be so many great chances to use multi-media effects to enhance the experience. The only issue is the elephant in the room. Captain EO was good because of Michael Jackson. Heck, Captain EO himself was hardly even a character, basically just Michael Jackson in a very slightly weirder outfit than usual. I don't know how recasting the role for a live show would be received. I think one small detail could have turned this into a slam dunk: Limited time special event for the show's 35th anniversary in 2021. But even with the need to recast, this would still be a super fun show and surely a favorite for guests.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
KVOuSx4.png

@Disneylover152 - Magical Passage
This show is another really simple concept. A collection of cool segments showing off various cool effects with only a loose tie connecting them. It almost is an indoors Fantasmic in a way. Spectacle more than anything! But you deliver on that spectacle in spades! Usually I would give the same critique I gave a few other people that you basically just described your show rather than gave an elevator pitch of the concept. But in this case it worked because your show's concept IS "look at these cool things we can do!" It makes great use of the theater and of various effects, but is it the best show overall? We'll see!

@pix - Sleepy Hallow Storytime
Turning it in at 11:57 EST? Gotta keep up your reputation :p

I kind of like that, again, you kept this simple. And you use puppets for human characters. Turning this into a full puppet show in many ways. A daring choice that could easily go either way. But whatever happens, it is unique. It would make this show stand out as something unlike any other. I think your show was missing just one little... something... to push it over the edge. Maybe an original host character to narrate it? Maybe pitch this as a version just for Halloween? It's tough to say. Just feels like this needs one more bit of spice added. Which is interesting since usually what you are best at is that bit of spice. but still a very strong show concept.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
A fantastic Fourth Scene! Another very tough round to judge. There was a lot of tough calls because I truly did love every one of these (even @D Hulk and his nonsense :p ). But I would love them for different reasons and had to go with the ones that I think added the most to the park and stood out the most.

Everyone who submitted something gets 1 point just for playing, but medal winners will get extra points on top of that!

And now for the awards!!!!

Ps5WGu1.png

Honorable Mention
@TwilightZone -
Step in Time with Mickey
Honorable Mentions isn't necessarily "4th Place." This award goes to a project that excelled in one area, but had something else holding it back from the top 3. In this case, this project was a real passion project born from a love of Steps in Time (the same kind of love I have for Cats (2019), but a love none the less). The only think holding it back was that shows like this are relatively common in theme parks, but that doesn't in any way make it a bad show. I love it!

L30Y5yp.png

Bronze Medal (1 Point)
@NateD1226 - Genie's Wishes
You took on of modern Disney's greatest characters and used him as a host for a fun crossover experience that could fully take advantage of that character's best qualities. A really fun show and a really fun idea!

zihTg3C.png

Silver Medal (1 Point)
@tcool123 -
Cinemation
I try not to let personal preferences and IPs that are personal favorites effect my judging, but there is a chance I'm a bit biased. But I just think this did such a great job bringing a really unique flair and a deeper meaning to relatively basic Disney show concept! And gave some fan favorite under-utilized characters the spotlight they deserve.

DrRz15D.png

Gold Medal (2 Points)
@DashHaber -
The Fantastic Flicker Show
Such a simple concept for a simple show. Yet the potential is so incredible to make something astounding that could elevate the park as a whole! Well done!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Scene Five
The Circle of Life Empty Pathways

uqUtdyC.png

You're an aspiring Imagineer in an elevator with Disney's CEO, Bob Chapek. You overhear him on the phone talking with Imagineers about a problem in the parks.

-The Problem-
With the addition of Pandora in Animal Kingdom, a pathway was built connecting the new land to Africa. The circle path around the park is now complete! Problem is, this new stretch that connects Satu'li Canteen to Festival of the Lion King is largely empty and boring despite being a rather long path. It is close enough to roads and backstage areas that there isn't room for anything too crazy here (It is smaller than it looks on maps). But there is definitely room for something rather than just a long stretch of nothing!

pfVSGX5.png

There isn't much time left in this elevator ride, but now is your chance to impress the Big Cheese and propose a solution that will earn you a place in the Imagineering Hall of Fame!

-The Prompt-
Propose a solution!
Propose a way to fill this space!
You have 3 different options:
  1. A new D or E-Ticket Attraction for either Africa or Pandora
  2. A new Walkthrough Experience or Animal Trail
  3. A new Mini-Land with only 2 attractions, neither bigger than a C-Ticket.
I'm not gonna be super picky about ticket levels.
In general: D/E Tickets are the large headliner attractions, B/C Tickets are medium scale stuff like Fantasyland style dark rides and most shows, and A-Tickets are things like simple walkthroughs or interactive games or meet & greets.
I just used the ticket levels as a general guide for scale.

-Rules-
You may use between 1 and 3 sentences and up to 1 picture.
The deadline will be at 11:59 PM EST on Saturday, October 17th

-Tips-

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple, silly.
This is an elevator pitch, not a full project!
It isn't about more detail, it is about the right details!

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it realistic?
Does it fit thematically/visually?

giphy.gif

Good Luck everyone! Have fun! Go create!

TwilightZone

Hakuna Matata Jungle Trek

iu

This new walkthrough attraction will take guests into a stunning recreation of Timon and Pumbaa's jungle home where the two helped raise Simba. Guests are able to see the beautiful waterfalls and greenery surrounding the area, get to recreate the famous walking scene on the fallen tree, and even get an opportunity to eat real (but carefully roasted) bugs at Timon's Bug Shack! This area will be full of photo opportunities and signage teaching how animals and plants can cooperate in nature, bringing no worries for the ecology.

pix

Hakuna Matata Jungle Trek

iu

This new walkthrough attraction will take guests into a stunning recreation of Timon and Pumbaa's jungle home where the two helped raise Simba. Guests are able to see the beautiful waterfalls and greenery surrounding the area, get to recreate the famous walking scene on the fallen tree, and even get an opportunity to eat real (but carefully roasted) bugs at Timon's Bug Shack! This area will be full of photo opportunities and signage teaching how animals and plants can cooperate in nature, bringing no worries for the ecology.
d3438357b73f92ec7728b3b53aa7dd94.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom