One Sentence Competition Retrospectives on Past Seasons

Suchomimus

Thunder Mountain Playset Express

44703-ts3-bluray03western.jpg

Join Woody and Jessie for a rootin'-tootin' railroad roller coaster adventure across the Thunder Mountain Playset, as our favorite sheriff sets out to catch the most fiendish crook of all: One-Eyed Bart!​
It should have been called Prairie Pioneer Playset Express since that's what the locomotive is named in the movie.

TwilightZone

1SC Retrospective
Season 3, Episode 3 - Channel Chasers

Hosted by: @spacemt354 (Based on the concepts of @CraniumCommand89)
Started on: June 29th, 2017
Won by: @D Hindley

Season 3, Episode 3 continues the trend of big bold ideas and creative themes!

This episode had a bit of a rocky start. @CraniumCommand89 had planned to host, had a theme ready, and even had half of the prompts written. But personal issues/obligations caused Cranium to step back a bit from the forum. They asked @spacemt354 to fill in and he took over the season using the plans Cranium had. Space, being both an all around cool dude as well as one of the most supportive people on the forum, agreed and hosted the season. Even beyond the plans Cranium had in place to give the forum a very fun and satisfying game. Of course, some @spacemt354 specialties were brought over like the Dundies to give it a personal touch.

The theme was television! Each round was based around a different TV channel with a prompt related to said channel. This lead to it being a great compliment to The Great Movie Ride competition by @Disney Dad 3000 which this Episode ran alongside. TV and movies, a perfect fit! And the tradition of 1SC either being directly or indirectly tied to an ongoing larger scale game is always a fun one.

The Episode kept the same basic 1-3 Sentences, 1 picture, and a 1 sentence bonus.

The bonuses were now simply trivia or discussion questions. Not graded, no points. Just a simple added extra to the thread. Nice and simple. Much like this whole Episode. There was a solid theme, but it everything was kept very simple. A classic feeling episode.

It did add something new that became an occasional tradition going forward. The grand finale. A final round with multiple prompts! This time up to 6 different prompts! There was a list of 6 attraction types and a separate list of 6 parks and you could mix and match how you'd like. An intriguing concept that gave people a ton of freedom to work with nearly any concept they'd like! Many of the Episodes since then have featured a final round with either multiple prompts, bigger prompts, or multiple bonuses to help it stand out and feel extra epic.

This Episode did a great job of finding the balance between simplicity and boundary pushing. And did a fantastic job working as a compliment to a longer game. Two things I intend to emulate heading into the future (though with a simpler theme).

Check out the 3rd Episode of the 3rd Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 3, Episode 3!

"CHALLENGE 10: History Channel - Bring back a Defunct Disney ride into a different park than it was originally in."

@spacemt354 or @CraniumCommand89 if you have any thoughts, insight, or memories you wanna share about hosting this episode I'd love to hear it!
Discoveryland Riverboats
iu

In Discoveryland you can now re-experience the classic Discovery Riverboats attraction in a brand new way, with new sights of futuristic Verne-esque scenery and encounters with strange mechanical beasts; watch out for the mechadragon!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
It should have been called Prairie Pioneer Playset Express since that's what the locomotive is named in the movie.
Personally, I like keeping the thunder Mountain connection in the name, but Prairie Pioneer should definitely be the name of the "Mining Company" for the Thunder Mountain Playset.

Discoveryland Riverboats
iu

In Discoveryland you can now re-experience the classic Discovery Riverboats attraction in a brand new way, with new sights of futuristic Verne-esque scenery and encounters with strange mechanical beasts; watch out for the mechadragon!

See, this is a great example what I mean when I say that great 1SC projects don't need much to get the idea across and be amazing!

Your entire post could've just been the word "Mechadragon" and if this was a real round you probably would've still gotten bronze at least lol.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
1SC Retrospective
Season 4, Episode 2 - Around the World in 60 Days

WWn0Xd5n4egO-S0Lzv2GpKo6rhSYrKYCZK9rl9e9BG4XJEmy_NHCqSiW75dIx4e1TOfVIgYuUcCj8jgQ8OtpDE1xBFE69WiKyJvFZmvZN_5s1GLYHDQPge76guG7qFfuTJr6y1FS

Hosted by: @Disneylover152 and @DisneyForever
Started on: March 9th, 2018
Won by: @DisneyFan18

Season 4 continued with the first (and so far only) Episode with 2 co-hosts!

This episode was hosted by @Disneylover152 and @DisneyForever together! There has been a few Episodes where the game has been passed to a new host mid-Episode or the host is using a plan set up by someone who had to step down before the season started, but this is the only time (Unless I missed it) where two people hosted together! (There has been times it happened as schedules change and new hosts take over or help out, but this is the only Episode with 2 hosts at the same time as a planned thing). Often @Disneylover152 took the lead as the public face, but behind the scenes they worked together every step of the way!

The tag team approach allowed them to be a bit more ambitious with what they could do as hosts. Things like an expansion of a Dundies style awards show and including a bit of simple storytelling!

This Episode's theme was about an around the world journey. Very simple, but well executed. usually having little asides about how we travel to each new destination and the order of parks we visited fit into a logical travel itinerary.

The Episode kept the same basic 1-3 Sentences, 1 picture format. Bonuses were one sentence each on a separate, simple prompt in the same park.

There was some occasional downsides that came with the 2 hosts. Reviews and results sometimes had to be delayed a bit waiting for the two hosts to be able to chat. But these were minor issues and they made sure to keep the new prompts coming regularly even if other things were delayed. So, the rhythm was rarely broken and the Episode ran smoothly!

An interesting thing that popped up this Episode was a trend of players setting their own personal themes for the season. @AceAstro started it with deciding to use, what else, Muppets for every round. @pix did a drawing for each round. @D Hindley went IP free wherever possible. And I used Figment in every round (other than the few I missed). These self imposed guidelines lead to some really crazy and goofy projects like a Muppets Action Stunt Show (How awesome would that be!) and Journey into Imagination with Bleamfinder and Bligment (the prompt was to redo imagination without figment, so I had to improvise).

1522878981520-png.275332

This was another incredibly solid and well handled Episode of the game with a lot of fun and unique flourishes that helped give this Episode its own distinct personality and charm. I hope to try and develop my own unique style too as we head into the future!

Check out the 2nd Episode of the 4th Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 4, Episode 2!

"CHALLENGE 7: Hong Kong Disneyland has a few mini-lands with unique themes centered around a single E-Ticket (and maybe a small walk through). Propose a new one!"

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
1SC Retrospective

WWn0Xd5n4egO-S0Lzv2GpKo6rhSYrKYCZK9rl9e9BG4XJEmy_NHCqSiW75dIx4e1TOfVIgYuUcCj8jgQ8OtpDE1xBFE69WiKyJvFZmvZN_5s1GLYHDQPge76guG7qFfuTJr6y1FS

This episode was hosted by @Disneylover152 and @DisneyForever together! There has been a few Episodes where the game has been passed to a new host mid-Episode or the host is using a plan set up by someone who had to step down before the season started, but this is the only time (Unless I missed it) where two people hosted together! (There has been times it happened as schedules change and new hosts take over or help out, but this is the only Episode with 2 hosts at the same time as a planned thing). Often @Disneylover152 took the lead as the public face, but behind the scenes they worked together every step of the way!

The tag team approach allowed them to be a bit more ambitious with what they could do as hosts. Things like an expansion of a Dundies style awards show and including a bit of simple storytelling!

This Episode's theme was about an around the world journey. Very simple, but well executed. usually having little asides about how we travel to each new destination and the order of parks we visited fit into a logical travel itinerary.

The Episode kept the same basic 1-3 Sentences, 1 picture format. Bonuses were one sentence each on a separate, simple prompt in the same park.

There was some occasional downsides that came with the 2 hosts. Reviews and results sometimes had to be delayed a bit waiting for the two hosts to be able to chat. But these were minor issues and they made sure to keep the new prompts coming regularly even if other things were delayed. So, the rhythm was rarely broken and the Episode ran smoothly!

An interesting thing that popped up this Episode was a trend of players setting their own personal themes for the season. @AceAstro started it with deciding to use, what else, Muppets for every round. @pix did a drawing for each round. @D Hindley went IP free wherever possible. And I used Figment in every round (other than the few I missed). These self imposed guidelines lead to some really crazy and goofy projects like a Muppets Action Stunt Show (How awesome would that be!) and Journey into Imagination with Bleamfinder and Bligment (the prompt was to redo imagination without figment, so I had to improvise).

1522878981520-png.275332

This was another incredibly solid and well handled Episode of the game with a lot of fun and unique flourishes that helped give this Episode its own distinct personality and charm. I hope to try and develop my own unique style too as we head into the future!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 4, Episode 2!

"CHALLENGE 7: Hong Kong Disneyland has a few mini-lands with unique themes centered around a single E-Ticket (and maybe a small walk through). Propose a new one!"
@Disneylover152 and @DisneyForever if you have any thoughts, insight, or memories you wanna share about hosting this episode I'd love to hear it!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
How about... a Monsters Inc. mini-land called Monstropolis, with the main E-Ticket being a combination dark ride/suspended coaster called the Monsters Inc. Scream Machine?
The blend of industrial and whimsical style in Monstropolis would make it a great fit for a unique theme park land. Could balance out the more naturalistic designs of much of Hong Kong too.

TwilightZone

1SC Retrospective

1522878981520-png.275332

Transit Harbor
iu

A modern take of the Discovery Bay concept, revolving around an updated Soarin around the World and other steampunk themed rides revolving around transportation, such as 2000 leagues under the sea and a unique take on test track crossed over with world of motion.

DashHaber

The Grid

Tron_Legacy_-_Recognizer.jpg

In this sleek and glowing digital landscape, guests will be able to join Tron in the war against the tyrannical Clu when they take part in the hi-tech shooter dark ride Tron: Fight for the User.​

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Well, well, I think Pirates has some competiton! It's like if someone fused Pirates, Sinbad, Jungle Cruise, Mystic Manor, IASW, and a little of Indiana Jones together.

Like, that is very clearly a knock off, but it is a DANG good one. Well done to them.

Transit Harbor
iu

A modern take of the Discovery Bay concept, revolving around an updated Soarin around the World and other steampunk themed rides revolving around transportation, such as 2000 leagues under the sea and a unique take on test track crossed over with world of motion.

Love this! Subtle steam punk like this is always exciting to me.

The Grid

Tron_Legacy_-_Recognizer.jpg

In this sleek and glowing digital landscape, guests will be able to join Tron in the war against the tyrannical Clu when they take part in the hi-tech shooter dark ride Tron: Fight for the User.​

I love Tron and an indoor land could be a thing of beauty. I like the shooter dark ride for Tron too.

@spacemt354 didn't you make a ride like that one time? Do you remember what game that was from?

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
1SC Retrospective
Season 4, Episode 3 - Clash of the Titans

29fd75e0-e4b5-42fe-997a-b4b908420a06-jpeg.289375

Hosted by: @DisneyFan18 (With a lot of help from @spacemt354)
Started on: June 10th, 2018
Won by: @MisterPenguin

Season 4 continued with kiiiiiinnndddd of another cohosted round!

This episode was hosted by @DisneyFan18. Though, due to some real life scheduling issues, DFan didn't have the time to keep hosting the whole season. So, after the first couple of rounds @spacemt354 took over. The prompts were pre-written though, so it was still DFan's Episode. Around the half way point, DFan was able to have more free time again. Space still handled much of the hosting duties, but DFan was able to give his own reviews most rounds and help out.

The theme was Clash of the Titans. A tongue in cheek play on the rivalry between Disney and Universal. The rounds alternated between which company we were working on. And the bonuses also tied directly into this theme. For every Disney round, the bonus was about Universal finding a way to one up what we added to Disney. For every Universal round, it was Disney rushing to rip off their competitor. A fun play on the classic theme park rivalry. It was a theme that stood out more since there had been very few rounds outside of Disney parks in One Sentence history up to this point, so the Universal stuff felt fresh and new!

The Episode kept the same basic 1-3 Sentences, 1 picture, 1 sentence bonus format. No wheel reinvention here, but the bonuses were more tied to the main prompts than almost ever before thanks to the Disney/Universal rivalry theme.

There was some occasional hiccups with Space doing much of the hosting for Dfan's game with confusion over prompts and phrasing. But nothing major.

A lot of this Episodes prompts tended to take more of a blue sky "what if" quality. Or just found ways to be outside the box. Between the addition of a Universal focus and the crazier prompts, this was a very fresh and exciting Episode that stood out even with using the standard format.

This Episode wasn't afraid to think outside the box (And outside the Disney Bubble) and encouraged some really fun ideas! Something to keep in mind as we head into the future!

Check out the 3rd Episode of the 4th Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 4, Episode 3!

"CHALLENGE 4: Add a Muppet themed attraction to Animal Kingdom!"

@DisneyFan18 or @spacemt354 if you have any thoughts, insight, or memories you wanna share about hosting this episode I'd love to hear it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom