One Sentence Competition Retrospectives on Past Seasons

NateD1226

"CHALLENGE 1: Create a new courtyard for any of the three All Star Resorts"
All Star Sports Playing Picnic

The Playing Picnic is a new courtyard that has a huge jumbotron at the end for people to have picnics and watch the big games of all different kinds of sports with the buildings to the sides of it themed to the 2 most favorite sports in America: Football and Basketball

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I'm, uh, gonna need you to describe "courtyard"...
Like the groupings of buildings with the same theme.

All Star Music has a Calypso Courtyard. It has two buildings of rooms and a pool in between. All Star Sport has Soccer with two buildings and a giant foosball court in between. Things like that!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Here's what I had done for the original round!
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Courtyard

1a_Cherry-tree-Lane-Illustration-Summer-Eva-Kuntz_20181220104059__2f7fe0ab.jpg

In an effort to help distinguish All Star Movies from the Art of Animation Resort, all future expansions will focus on live action films with an eventual plan to remove and retheme current courtyards based on cartoons.

This will start with two new buildings centered around a new Courtyard based on the most iconic live action Disney film: Mary Poppins.

One building will be themed to the original with a large penguin waiter statue and the other will be themed to Mary Poppins Returns with a large penguin tap dancer statue and in between will be a Courtyard full of cherry trees, chalk drawings, and an outdoor stage for live music.

Bonus

A new, seperate skyliner route will be added connecting the All Stars, Blizzard Beach, Animal Kingdom Lodge, and Animal Kingdom with plans to connect it to the original skyliner path in the future.​

Brer Panther

Like the groupings of buildings with the same theme.

All Star Music has a Calypso Courtyard. It has two buildings of rooms and a pool in between. All Star Sport has Soccer with two buildings and a giant foosball court in between. Things like that!
Okay... what if we added a new courtyard to All Star Movies based on Monsters Inc., with gigantic statues of the various monsters from the film and "doors" like the ones used to travel into the human world leading into the main building?

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
All Star Sports Playing Picnic

The Playing Picnic is a new courtyard that has a huge jumbotron at the end for people to have picnics and watch the big games of all different kinds of sports with the buildings to the sides of it themed to the 2 most favorite sports in America: Football and Basketball
This is the type of thing that would really round out All Star Sports and start to turn this from a hotel into a resort!

Okay... what if we added a new courtyard to All Star Movies based on Monsters Inc., with gigantic statues of the various monsters from the film and "doors" like the ones used to travel into the human world leading into the main building?

Monsters Inc kinda flies under the radar compared to a lot of other movies, but it has an undeniable charm to it! It's why it's popularity has always stayed high even if it isn't the fan favorite Pixar film. And between the original, University, and the upcoming show it has more than proven to be timeless and always in demand. I think it definitely deserves a building/courtyard at an All Star Resort

TwilightZone

1SC Retrospective
Season 5, Episode 1 - The Anti-Park

osc-png.362434

Hosted by: @FireMountain
Started on: April 6th, 2019
Won by: N/A

Season 5 started in a bit of an awkward way.

This episode was hosted by @FireMountain. With a few guest reviews by @Evilgidgit.

The theme was Anti-Park. Which meant that everything was going to take place in WDW, but not inside any of the four theme parks.

The Episode returned to just 1-3 Sentences, 1 picture, 1 sentence bonus for every round.

This episode kind of failed to launch.

The awkward end to season 4 wound up breaking the rhythm that the game had going. Since there wasn't the usual passing of the torch at the end of an episode, there wasn't really a plan for starting the game back up. Instead of starting in (or near) January like Seasons 2, 3, and 4 did, Season 5 started in April. There was a few false starts and multiple people saying they wanted to relaunch the game but then neither doing it to avoid stepping on each other's toes. As I mentioned before, activity on the forums was low for much of 2019 and the activity we did have was pretty focused on Sorcerer's Apprentice Endgame, so 1SC just kind of fell by the way side.

Eventually, @FireMountain took up the reigns. And had some good ideas set up. @Evilgidgit couldn't commit to either hosting or cohosting at the time, but was going to do some guest reviews here or there.

They had a great host, great plan, great prompts, a great theme. Was set up to be a great Episode!

Unfortunately, the one thing that was lacking was time.

Fire wound up getting very busy irl and that lead to some gaps between the ends of rounds and reviews and the next round being posted throwing off the flow of the game and making it tough to keep up with. Players were busy with finals starting which lead to lower turn out. The Forum was also having some issues where notifications weren't going out.

No one submitted anything for the second prompt. Partly because not many people knew it had even been posted. It's tough to correct course when people didn't know new things were posted. And so, the Episode had a sudden end. A vague promise to return soon, but schedules never cleared up and that seemed to be it for the 1SC in 2019.

This Episode shows how important it is to have prompts pre-written keep the rhythm of the game going. Things to keep in mind as we head into the future.

Check out the 1st Episode of the 5th Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 5, Episode 1!

@FireMountain (or @Evilgidgit as the guest judge) if you have any thoughts, insight, or memories you wanna share about hosting this episode I'd love to hear it!
Ducktales Courtyard
iu

This new courtyard will replace the Mighty Ducks pool in All Stars Movies* and will have a miniature themed area featuring statues of the characters and an island themed pool with many pathways to explore and even a few treasure chest statues.

*(hey there is a Ducktales movie so it kinda fits)

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Ducktales Courtyard
iu

This new courtyard will replace the Mighty Ducks pool in All Stars Movies* and will have a miniature themed area featuring statues of the characters and an island themed pool with many pathways to explore and even a few treasure chest statues.

*(hey there is a Ducktales movie so it kinda fits)
Lol I'll count it! I'd love to see an All Stars Television added, but since I doubt that's ever gonna happen I'll be more than happy to stretch the definition of "movie" for Ducktales to be added. Like you said, they did have a movie!

Brer Panther

Monsters Inc kinda flies under the radar compared to a lot of other movies, but it has an undeniable charm to it! It's why it's popularity has always stayed high even if it isn't the fan favorite Pixar film. And between the original, University, and the upcoming show it has more than proven to be timeless and always in demand.
Monsters Inc. has always been my favorite PIXAR movie.

DisneyManOne

"Mary Poppins" at Disney's All-Star Movies Resort

a6de0dacab5b7ebd5342c6d141822463.jpg

Replacing The Love Bug at All-Star Movies is another beloved live-action Disney film; and as part of the change, the two statues of Herbie have been replaced by statues of Mary Poppins and Bert, the giant tools become dancing chimney sweeps, and the "Winner's Circle" courtyard becomes the "Jolly Holiday" courtyard, complete with actual working carousel and featuring statues of the Farm Animals, the Penguins, the Fox, and the Pearly Band.

EDIT: I did not see @Pi on my Cake's post about his own Mary Poppins idea, so this is complete coincidence.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
"Mary Poppins" at Disney's All-Star Movies Resort

a6de0dacab5b7ebd5342c6d141822463.jpg

Replacing The Love Bug at All-Star Movies is another beloved live-action Disney film; and as part of the change, the two statues of Herbie have been replaced by statues of Mary Poppins and Bert, the giant tools become dancing chimney sweeps, and the "Winner's Circle" courtyard becomes the "Jolly Holiday" courtyard, complete with actual working carousel and featuring statues of the Farm Animals, the Penguins, the Fox, and the Pearly Band.

EDIT: I did not see @Pi on my Cake's post about his own Mary Poppins idea, so this is complete coincidence.
Great minds think alike! It's one of the most important and iconic movies in Disney history, it has more than earned its place there!

Evilgidgit

1SC Retrospective
Season 5, Episode 1 - The Anti-Park

osc-png.362434

Hosted by: @FireMountain
Started on: April 6th, 2019
Won by: N/A

Season 5 started in a bit of an awkward way.

This episode was hosted by @FireMountain. With a few guest reviews by @Evilgidgit.

The theme was Anti-Park. Which meant that everything was going to take place in WDW, but not inside any of the four theme parks.

The Episode returned to just 1-3 Sentences, 1 picture, 1 sentence bonus for every round.

This episode kind of failed to launch.

The awkward end to season 4 wound up breaking the rhythm that the game had going. Since there wasn't the usual passing of the torch at the end of an episode, there wasn't really a plan for starting the game back up. Instead of starting in (or near) January like Seasons 2, 3, and 4 did, Season 5 started in April. There was a few false starts and multiple people saying they wanted to relaunch the game but then neither doing it to avoid stepping on each other's toes. As I mentioned before, activity on the forums was low for much of 2019 and the activity we did have was pretty focused on Sorcerer's Apprentice Endgame, so 1SC just kind of fell by the way side.

Eventually, @FireMountain took up the reigns. And had some good ideas set up. @Evilgidgit couldn't commit to either hosting or cohosting at the time, but was going to do some guest reviews here or there.

They had a great host, great plan, great prompts, a great theme. Was set up to be a great Episode!

Unfortunately, the one thing that was lacking was time.

Fire wound up getting very busy irl and that lead to some gaps between the ends of rounds and reviews and the next round being posted throwing off the flow of the game and making it tough to keep up with. Players were busy with finals starting which lead to lower turn out. The Forum was also having some issues where notifications weren't going out.

No one submitted anything for the second prompt. Partly because not many people knew it had even been posted. It's tough to correct course when people didn't know new things were posted. And so, the Episode had a sudden end. A vague promise to return soon, but schedules never cleared up and that seemed to be it for the 1SC in 2019.

This Episode shows how important it is to have prompts pre-written keep the rhythm of the game going. Things to keep in mind as we head into the future.

Check out the 1st Episode of the 5th Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 5, Episode 1!

@FireMountain (or @Evilgidgit as the guest judge) if you have any thoughts, insight, or memories you wanna share about hosting this episode I'd love to hear it!

Sadly, I don't remember much about the season. It was a shame it didn't continue, but these things happen.

Disney Legends Courtyard
MV5BMjMxODUyMzA3N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODY0MjczMzE@._V1_CR0,60,640,360_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

In the All-Star Music Resort, a new courtyard is dedicated to the Disney Legends who have contributed to the company's musical legacy, symbolised through lifesized musical instruments and props with individual plaques -- for example, a piano with a bird on it (Sherman Brothers), a pair of glitzy star-shaped sunglasses (Elton John), musical sheets with a rose and a monstrous plant on them (Howard Ashman and Alan Menken), and a boater hat surrounded by the Aristocats (Maurice Chevalier).

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Sadly, I don't remember much about the season. It was a shame it didn't continue, but these things happen.

Disney Legends Courtyard
MV5BMjMxODUyMzA3N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODY0MjczMzE@._V1_CR0,60,640,360_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

In the All-Star Music Resort, a new courtyard is dedicated to the Disney Legends who have contributed to the company's musical legacy, symbolised through lifesized musical instruments and props with individual plaques -- for example, a piano with a bird on it (Sherman Brothers), a pair of glitzy star-shaped sunglasses (Elton John), musical sheets with a rose and a monstrous plant on them (Howard Ashman and Alan Menken), and a boater hat surrounded by the Aristocats (Maurice Chevalier).
Oooooh I love that idea!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
1SC Retrospective
Season 5, Episode 2 - The Disney Decades

enhance

Hosted by: @D Hindley
Started on: December 23rd, 2019
Won by: @Tux

Season 5 was returned to as part of a way to re-energize the forum after a quiet 2019.

This episode was hosted by @D Hindley returning again. He did something entirely unprecedented for the One Sentence Competition.

He made it so people only got one sentence.

A single sentence for the first time in One Sentence Comp history!

Ground breaking and revolutionary!!!!! :p

The theme was Disney Decades. Each round took place in a different decade. Starting with a practice prompt in the 1940s and going all the way to a finale in the 2020s (boy were we wrong predicting what this year would be like in the parks! None of our final proposals included a global pandemic. Points off for lack of realism)

Like I said, this Episode had prompts limited to just 1 Sentences. A single picture was allowed too. No bonuses though.

The key was simplicity. The competition was stripped to the bare bones. As simple and accessible as possible. @D Hindley did a great job keeping the prompts simple enough that it never felt too limiting. All while being very fun and creative prompts. It was exactly what both the forum and the one sentence comp needed at the time. Even the number of prompts was scaled back to only 8 instead of the 10-12 that was common throughout Seasons 3 and 4.

This was part of a bit of a larger plan by a shadowy cabal of powerful and dangerous figures the hosts of Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 6 and the previous seasons of that game to try to revitalize the forum a bit heading into the new year and the 6th season of SA. There was end of the year awards to serve as a look back and celebration to get people excited about the past. A casual open brainstorming prompt a day thread throughout the month of december. And then the 1SC coming back starting on Christmas Day and heading right up until around the start of SAVI. But the 1SC was more than just a prologue to a different game. It was a fun competition in its own right!

Throughout it's history, this game has served an important role in this forum. It is an easy entry point for new players. A simple way for veterans and other people with busy lives to stay connected to imagineering. Something that can be kept going pretty constantly so the forum doesn't get too quiet. And it's just pure fun! The 1SC does a lot for this forum. All by just being a simple, fun game that is accessible to everyone.

This Episode shows how sometimes simple is better. Keeping things small scale doesn't have to feel limiting if you design the game right. I might be planning to go back to 1-3 sentences, but the focus on simplicity is definitely being kept in mind as we head into the future.

Check out the 2nd Episode of the 5th Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 5, Episode 2!

"CHALLENGE 7: 2010s - Propose something new Disney could do with Magic Bands"

@D Hindley if you have any thoughts, insight, or memories you wanna share about hosting this episode I'd love to hear it!

TwilightZone

1SC Retrospective
Season 5, Episode 2 - The Disney Decades

enhance

Hosted by: @D Hindley
Started on: December 23rd, 2019
Won by: @Tux

Season 5 was returned to as part of a way to re-energize the forum after a quiet 2019.

This episode was hosted by @D Hindley returning again. He did something entirely unprecedented for the One Sentence Competition.

He made it so people only got one sentence.

A single sentence for the first time in One Sentence Comp history!

Ground breaking and revolutionary!!!!! :p

The theme was Disney Decades. Each round took place in a different decade. Starting with a practice prompt in the 1940s and going all the way to a finale in the 2020s (boy were we wrong predicting what this year would be like in the parks! None of our final proposals included a global pandemic. Points off for lack of realism)

Like I said, this Episode had prompts limited to just 1 Sentences. A single picture was allowed too. No bonuses though.

The key was simplicity. The competition was stripped to the bare bones. As simple and accessible as possible. @D Hindley did a great job keeping the prompts simple enough that it never felt too limiting. All while being very fun and creative prompts. It was exactly what both the forum and the one sentence comp needed at the time. Even the number of prompts was scaled back to only 8 instead of the 10-12 that was common throughout Seasons 3 and 4.

This was part of a bit of a larger plan by a shadowy cabal of powerful and dangerous figures the hosts of Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 6 and the previous seasons of that game to try to revitalize the forum a bit heading into the new year and the 6th season of SA. There was end of the year awards to serve as a look back and celebration to get people excited about the past. A casual open brainstorming prompt a day thread throughout the month of december. And then the 1SC coming back starting on Christmas Day and heading right up until around the start of SAVI. But the 1SC was more than just a prologue to a different game. It was a fun competition in its own right!

Throughout it's history, this game has served an important role in this forum. It is an easy entry point for new players. A simple way for veterans and other people with busy lives to stay connected to imagineering. Something that can be kept going pretty constantly so the forum doesn't get too quiet. And it's just pure fun! The 1SC does a lot for this forum. All by just being a simple, fun game that is accessible to everyone.

This Episode shows how sometimes simple is better. Keeping things small scale doesn't have to feel limiting if you design the game right. I might be planning to go back to 1-3 sentences, but the focus on simplicity is definitely being kept in mind as we head into the future.

Check out the 2nd Episode of the 5th Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 5, Episode 2!

"CHALLENGE 7: 2010s - Propose something new Disney could do with Magic Bands"

@D Hindley if you have any thoughts, insight, or memories you wanna share about hosting this episode I'd love to hear it!
The Search For Mickey Mouse
3.png

Mickey Mouse has gone missing and it's up to you to find him, use your Magic Band to search for clues all across the Magic Kingdom to figure out where he went, the search ends with guests finding he was in Fantasyland where they started from and ends with a happy reunition and a special meet and greet with Mickey himself!

Last edited:

TwilightZone

Another mega answer thing cause why not
(also I guess consider the mickey is missing edit I made as my sign up meme)

"CHALLENGE 2: Retheme Rock'n Rollercoaster (But not to GotG, Marvel, or any other commonly rumored concepts)"
Rock'n Rollercoaster will be rethemed to Herbie the Love Bug's race, thus making the spot a mini-land themed to racing.

"CHALLENGE 1: Propose a theme for a 5th gate for WDW"
Disney's World of Music with lands based on Rock (that also fills as a mini villains land), Classical (filled with giant pianos and other instruments), Country (a Frontierland-esque land with a hoedown area), Jazz (a city street similar to New Orleans Square at Disneyland), and Pop (a colorful candyland).

"CHALLENGE 2: Replace any ride in Disneyland Paris with the park's first (as of the time of the comp) E-Ticket in the 21st Century"
Discoveryland theater gets replaced with a brand new 4D theater show that serves as a spiritual successor to the old Honey I shrunk the Audience show where a professor accidentally shrinks down his visitors and they have to escape various things in his lab

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom