One Sentence Competition Retrospectives on Past Seasons

DashHaber

"CHALLENGE 3: Add a new ride to either the Germany, Italy, or UK Pavilion"
Mary Poppins's Jolly Holiday

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.png

Climb aboard a carousel horse at the United Kingdom Pavilion and join Mary Poppins on a magical journey through a colorful countryside, in a delightful dark ride that's sure to have you feeling supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!​

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Max und Moritz

Max_und_Moritz.JPG

In the madcap tradition of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride comes this fast-paced dark ride, based upon a popular German's children's book about two naughty children who treat pranking as if it were a fine feast...but every feast must come with "just desserts."

By the way, if you haven't read Max and Moritz, here's a link with an English translation.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Max und Moritz

Max_und_Moritz.JPG

In the madcap tradition of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride comes this fast-paced dark ride, based upon a popular German's children's book about two naughty children who treat pranking as if it were a fine feast...but every feast must come with "just desserts."

By the way, if you haven't read Max and Moritz, here's a link with an English translation.
See, this is one of the great things about one sentence projects. There isn't a large time commitment, large teams, or too much competitiveness. So, you can get really outside the box and crazy ideas like this! I kinda skimmed the story, but it looks like it would be an incredible madcap Mr. Toad dark ride!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
1SC Retrospective
Season 4, Episode 1 - The Disney Year

24383187427_31596d97e5_o_d.jpg

Hosted by: @D Hindley
Started on: December 25th, 2017
Won by: @Pi on my Cake

Season 4 came out the gate running with an exciting and grand episode!

This episode was hosted by @D Hindley because him hosting seemed to be the only way to stop his winning streak lol.

This Episode's theme was about going through the twelve months. Each round had a new month and a new park. We celebrated Earth day with an Animal Kingdom prompt, Turkey day in Hollywood Studios, and many more holidays in every single Disney park around the world!

The Episode kept the same basic 1-3 Sentences, 1 picture format. Though some prompts upped the sentence count back up to 5 for larger concepts like lands. Bonuses returned with some changes. Everyone who submitted a bonus got a bonus point. Usually these were just 1 extra sentence for a separate but related prompt to the main one. Sometimes these bonuses got way outside the box! For the project celebrating everyone's favorite holiday, Talk like a Pirate Day, the bonus was to write your main project in pirate speak. And if ye don't think that be the a golden nugget of an idea, then ye be nothing more than a land lubber, argh!

There was a big focus on fun with this episode. There was a competitive edge, but there were often ties and extra bonuses and other stuff to keep the playing field even. The prompts weren't usually anything too crazy or challenging, but they were all creative and fun ideas. A lot of people got really into it and it was not at all uncommon to see people doing original art or maps for their projects. Things that usually aren't done for the 1SC, but people were having a lot of fun going all in this Episode. Sometimes this game was maybe a bit too large scale. Pushing the limit of how big this game can get before it gets too big. But it never quite crossed that line and went down in history as one of the stronger Episodes of the game!

This focus on fun projects and big ideas will definitely be kept in mind as we head into the future!

Check out the 1st Episode of the 4th Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 4, Episode 1!

"CHALLENGE 2: Similar to how Tron is an updated take on Space Mountain or Shanghai Pirates is an updated take on the classic Pirates, propose another update/reimagining of a castle park classic for Shanghai Disneyland"

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
1SC Retrospective

Season 4 same out the gate running with an exciting and grand episode!

This episode was hosted by @D Hindley because him hosting seemed to be the only way to stop his winning streak lol.

This Episode's theme was about going through the twelve months. Each round had a new month and a new park. We celebrated Earth day with an Animal Kingdom prompt, Turkey day in Hollywood Studios, and many more holidays in every single Disney park around the world!

The Episode kept the same basic 1-3 Sentences, 1 picture format. Though some prompts upped the sentence count back up to 5 for larger concepts like lands. Bonuses returned with some changes. Everyone who submitted a bonus got a bonus point. Usually these were just 1 extra sentence for a separate but related prompt to the main one. Sometimes these bonuses got way outside the box! For the project celebrating everyone's favorite holiday, Talk like a Pirate Day, the bonus was to write your main project in pirate speak. And if ye don't think that be the a golden nugget of an idea, then ye be nothing more than a land lubber, argh!

There was a big focus on fun with this episode. There was a competitive edge, but there were often ties and extra bonuses and other stuff to keep the playing field even. The prompts weren't usually anything too crazy or challenging, but they were all creative and fun ideas. A lot of people got really into it and it was not at all uncommon to see people doing original art or maps for their projects. Things that usually aren't done for the 1SC, but people were having a lot of fun going all in this Episode. Sometimes this game was maybe a bit too large scale. Pushing the limit of how big this game can get before it gets too big. But it never quite crossed that line and went down in history as one of the stronger Episodes of the game!

This focus on fun projects and big ideas will definitely be kept in mind as we head into the future!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 4, Episode 1!

"CHALLENGE 2: Similar to how Tron is an updated take on Space Mountain or Shanghai Pirates is an updated take on the classic Pirates, propose another update/reimagining of a castle park classic for Shanghai Disneyland"
@D Hindley if you have any thoughts, insight, or memories you wanna share about hosting this episode I'd love to hear it!

D Hulk

@D Hindley if you have any thoughts, insight, or memories you wanna share about hosting this episode I'd love to hear it!
That "Talk like a Pirate" bonus is one of my favorite things I've done on these forums! The results were so funny!

And OMG, it's Volcano Bat!!! :eek:

Max und Moritz

Max_und_Moritz.JPG

Great idea! Max & Moritz are actually headed to Efteling in the form of a dueling family coaster. I think they stole the idea from you.

1200x628-max-en-moritz.jpg

DisneyManOne

Great idea! Max & Moritz are actually headed to Efteling in the form of a dueling family coaster. I think they stole the idea from you.

1200x628-max-en-moritz.jpg
Well, from the looks of it, comparing my concept and the Efteling concept is like comparing apples and oranges. My idea is a straightforward adaptation of the story, while this looks like a simple coaster themed around the books. I actually watched video footage of it, and that's all it is: a roller coaster, with the Max and Moritz theming coming from the queue and loading station. Not a single bit of the story is retold.

See, this is one of the great things about one sentence projects. There isn't a large time commitment, large teams, or too much competitiveness. So, you can get really outside the box and crazy ideas like this! I kinda skimmed the story, but it looks like it would be an incredible madcap Mr. Toad dark ride!
Thank you! In fact, I actually came up with what the ride could be like. This may take more than one sentence, but consider it an expansion of the initial prompt.

So, once the vehicle leaves the loading dock (this would be in the same place as the cancelled Rhine River Cruise), we'd enter a room with a giant book. We'd hear an English translation of the first four lines of the prologue...

"Ah, how oft we read or hear of
Boys we almost stand in fear of!
For example, take these stories
Of two youths, named Max and Moritz."

Then, the book would open and we'd zip into the story.

The first scene would involve Max and Moritz looking on with glee at the chickens preparing to walk off, having eaten the bread, not noticing that the rope connecting them all is getting increasingly strained. The vehicles would then make a zip around the Widow Tibbett's estate, noticing Max and Moritz on the roof with fishing lines. What could they be after? A quick turn around the bushes reveals the Widow chasing after her dog, accusing him of eating the chickens. However, in the bushes, we see two naughty boys polishing off legs of roasted chicken...

We leave the estate and come across the home of the Tailor. Max and Moritz, having sawed off the middle of the bridge leading to the home, are provoking the tailor, who angrily comes towards them...and falls into the river! Next stop: the home of Teacher Lampel. Heading inside, we see the teacher about to enjoy his pipe. Little does he know that the evil eyes of Max and Moritz are watching him. What could they be doing now? Well, the great explosion we hear as we leave the house may have something to do with it...

Night falls in the village. Max and Moritz are approaching the home of Uncle Fritz with cones. What is the meaning of this jape? Heading inside the house, we find the poor uncle scared for his life...the boys have filled his bed with giant May-bugs! As the sun rises, we find the two boys on the roof of the bakery. They fall in with a sloppy sound marking their fall. Heading inside, we discover the Baker has attempted to cook them into bread. Alas, they have survived and are currently gnawing themselves to freedom.

Ah, but there's one last trick to see here. Entering the local farm, we discover that Max and Moritz's latest trick involves cutting holes in the sacks carrying the Farmer's grain. Alas, they have not been able to escape, much to the Farmer's joy. Along the walls, we see the silhouette of the Farmer shoving the naughty boys into a giant sack. Approaching the mill, we hear the cogs and gears of the mill at work. What could be happening? Heading inside, we discover that Max and Moritz have been reduced to pellets, which the miller's ducks are happily eating.

Returning to the town square of the village, we see that a grand celebration is occurring! Max and Moritz's untimely demise is being met with joy, laughter and music! All their victims are dancing merrily! And as we pass through this scene, the narrator from the beginning of the ride book-ends our journey with the final lines of the book...

"Through the place in short there went
One wide murmur of content:
'God be praised! the town is free

From this great rascality!'"
With that, our vehicle comes back into the loading dock. And thus concludes the madcap adventures of Max und Moritz.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Well, from the looks of it, comparing my concept and the Efteling concept is like comparing apples and oranges. My idea is a straightforward adaptation of the story, while this looks like a simple coaster themed around the books. I actually watched video footage of it, and that's all it is: a roller coaster, with the Max and Moritz theming coming from the queue and loading station. Not a single bit of the story is retold.

Thank you! In fact, I actually came up with what the ride could be like. This may take more than one sentence, but consider it an expansion of the initial prompt.

So, once the vehicle leaves the loading dock (this would be in the same place as the cancelled Rhine River Cruise), we'd enter a room with a giant book. We'd hear an English translation of the first four lines of the prologue...

"Ah, how oft we read or hear of
Boys we almost stand in fear of!
For example, take these stories
Of two youths, named Max and Moritz."

Then, the book would open and we'd zip into the story.

The first scene would involve Max and Moritz looking on with glee at the chickens preparing to walk off, having eaten the bread, not noticing that the rope connecting them all is getting increasingly strained. The vehicles would then make a zip around the Widow Tibbett's estate, noticing Max and Moritz on the roof with fishing lines. What could they be after? A quick turn around the bushes reveals the Widow chasing after her dog, accusing him of eating the chickens. However, in the bushes, we see two naughty boys polishing off legs of roasted chicken...

We leave the estate and come across the home of the Tailor. Max and Moritz, having sawed off the middle of the bridge leading to the home, are provoking the tailor, who angrily comes towards them...and falls into the river! Next stop: the home of Teacher Lampel. Heading inside, we see the teacher about to enjoy his pipe. Little does he know that the evil eyes of Max and Moritz are watching him. What could they be doing now? Well, the great explosion we hear as we leave the house may have something to do with it...

Night falls in the village. Max and Moritz are approaching the home of Uncle Fritz with cones. What is the meaning of this jape? Heading inside the house, we find the poor uncle scared for his life...the boys have filled his bed with giant May-bugs! As the sun rises, we find the two boys on the roof of the bakery. They fall in with a sloppy sound marking their fall. Heading inside, we discover the Baker has attempted to cook them into bread. Alas, they have survived and are currently gnawing themselves to freedom.

Ah, but there's one last trick to see here. Entering the local farm, we discover that Max and Moritz's latest trick involves cutting holes in the sacks carrying the Farmer's grain. Alas, they have not been able to escape, much to the Farmer's joy. Along the walls, we see the silhouette of the Farmer shoving the naughty boys into a giant sack. Approaching the mill, we hear the cogs and gears of the mill at work. What could be happening? Heading inside, we discover that Max and Moritz have been reduced to pellets, which the miller's ducks are happily eating.

Returning to the town square of the village, we see that a grand celebration is occurring! Max and Moritz's untimely demise is being met with joy, laughter and music! All their victims are dancing merrily! And as we pass through this scene, the narrator from the beginning of the ride book-ends our journey with the final lines of the book...

"Through the place in short there went
One wide murmur of content:
'God be praised! the town is free

From this great rascality!'"
With that, our vehicle comes back into the loading dock. And thus concludes the madcap adventures of Max und Moritz.
I love that!!!!! That was fantastic to read. Very grounded and real feeling while keeping a whimsical charm.

TwilightZone

1SC Retrospective

Season 4 came out the gate running with an exciting and grand episode!

Haywire House
iu

In the sci - fi setting of tomorrowland comes a unique take of the Haunted Mansion, where you travel into a house owned by the Haywire family: a family of collectors of all the smartest technology, until suddenly all of it has become literally haywire after the download of a computer virus bringing all the technology to "life"; it's a silly and strange take of man vs machine.

I could not find any images to help example what I'm thinking for the life of me so smart house instead

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Haywire House
iu

In the sci - fi setting of tomorrowland comes a unique take of the Haunted Mansion, where you travel into a house owned by the Haywire family: a family of collectors of all the smartest technology, until suddenly all of it has become literally haywire after the download of a computer virus bringing all the technology to "life"; it's a silly and strange take of man vs machine.

I could not find any images to help example what I'm thinking for the life of me so smart house instead
Sci-fi Haunted Mansion where it's a smart house backfiring is a fantastic idea that I can't believe I've never seen or thought of before! It's brilliant!

DashHaber

Thunder Mountain Playset Express

44703-ts3-bluray03western.jpg

Join Woody and Jessie for a rootin'-tootin' railroad roller coaster adventure across the Thunder Mountain Playset, as our favorite sheriff sets out to catch the most fiendish crook of all: One-Eyed Bart!​

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Thunder Mountain Playset Express

44703-ts3-bluray03western.jpg

Join Woody and Jessie for a rootin'-tootin' railroad roller coaster adventure across the Thunder Mountain Playset, as our favorite sheriff sets out to catch the most fiendish crook of all: One-Eyed Bart!​
I love seeing Toy Story attractions that don't just focus on the easy buzz Lightyear/space stuff. This would be a great fit to set Shanghai's Toy Story Land apart and bring a bit of Frontierland over. Great idea!

Brer Panther

"CHALLENGE 4: Design a temporary attraction (think Frozen Sing Along or Star Wars Launch Bay) for a movie coming out in the next 2 years."
To promote PIXAR's Soul, a new walk-through attraction replaces the Star Wars Launch Bay, allowing guests to explore the strange world known as the Great Before.
"CHALLENGE 1: Propose a theme for a 5th gate for WDW"
There's something for everyone at Disney's Beastly Realms, inspired by the never-built Beastly Kingdom section for Disney's Animal Kingdom - with each land featuring attractions, shops, and restaurants based and focused on the mythical creatures of the world, from dragons to unicorns to Chupacabras.
"CHALLENGE 10: History Channel - Bring back a Defunct Disney ride into a different park than it was originally in."
Fantasyland sees the return of EPCOT's Maelstrom, replacing the Princess Fairytale Hall - albeit longer, wetter, and wilder than before, with improved special effects and no ice princesses singing "Let It Go" in sight!
The United Kingdom sees the arrival of a new animatronic show called The Mind of Charles Dickens, featuring various characters from stories written by one of England's most beloved authors.
Disneyland's Alice in Wonderland dark ride AND the iconic Mad Tea Party are merged into one for a new addition to Fantasyland, Down the Rabbit Hole, an indoor Wild Mouse coaster where riders explore Wonderland aboard a giant teacup.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
To promote PIXAR's Soul, a new walk-through attraction replaces the Star Wars Launch Bay, allowing guests to explore the strange world known as the Great Before.
Ooooooohhhh perfect small scale promotional attraction that could stand on its own as just being a fun walk through!

There's something for everyone at Disney's Beastly Realms, inspired by the never-built Beastly Kingdom section for Disney's Animal Kingdom - with each land featuring attractions, shops, and restaurants based and focused on the mythical creatures of the world, from dragons to unicorns to Chupacabras.
Beastly Kingdom as a fifth gat has a ton of potential! I could easily see this being blended with @pix's myth concept and turned into a really amazing park!

Fantasyland sees the return of EPCOT's Maelstrom, replacing the Princess Fairytale Hall - albeit longer, wetter, and wilder than before, with improved special effects and no ice princesses singing "Let It Go" in sight!
Maelstrom always felt very fantasy focused. Incorporating some IP free, cultural legends into Fantasyland would be a really great idea! Maelstrom wouldn't even need much twists to feel right at home.

The United Kingdom sees the arrival of a new animatronic show called The Mind of Charles Dickens, featuring various characters from stories written by one of England's most beloved authors.

YES! Not too much to say beyond YES!

Disneyland's Alice in Wonderland dark ride AND the iconic Mad Tea Party are merged into one for a new addition to Fantasyland, Down the Rabbit Hole, an indoor Wild Mouse coaster where riders explore Wonderland aboard a giant teacup.

This would be amazing! Especially since the Shanghai crowd tends to gravitate more towards thrills than classic dark rides. This could be a great twist and fit the park like a glove!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom