One Sentence Competition Retrospectives on Past Seasons

NateD1226

I haven't been keeping up with these that well so this calls for a...

SUPER MEGA OSC IDEA LIST

"CHALLENGE 2: Add a new Float to the Main Street Electrical Parade! (No Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, or movies from before 2000)"
Lilo and Stitch

Lilo and Stitch take over the Main Street Electrical Parade with huge light up waves and lots of dancing to "Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride".
"CHALLENGE 2: Retheme Rock'n Rollercoaster (But not to GotG, Marvel, or any other commonly rumored concepts)"
Wall-E and Eve's Trip through Space

Wall-E and Eve need your help to save M-O, who is trapped in a evacuation pod making his way to the Sun!​

"CHALLENGE 4: Design a temporary attraction (think Frozen Sing Along or Star Wars Launch Bay) for a movie coming out in the next 2 years."
The Greater Beyond

A new interactive play area is coming to the Hollywood backlot in DCA where you can visit The Greater Beyond from the movie Soul

"CHALLENGE 1: Propose a theme for a 5th gate for WDW"
Music Kingdom

Music Kingdom is the 5th gate for WDW that features 6 lands from major music groups. (Pop, Rock, Hip Hop, Country, EDM, and Classical)
"CHALLENGE 10: History Channel - Bring back a Defunct Disney ride into a different park than it was originally in."
Mine Through Nature's Wonderland

Mine Through Nature's Wonderland is making a comeback at Hong Kong Disneyland with more upscale animatronics and more fun and unique story.​
"CHALLENGE 3: Add a new ride to either the Germany, Italy, or UK Pavilion"
Can You Imagine That?

Mary Poppins and the new Banks children take you on a journey through the Bank's house and into new places with the song "Can You Imagine That"​
"CHALLENGE 2: Similar to how Tron is an updated take on Space Mountain or Shanghai Pirates is an updated take on the classic Pirates, propose another update/reimagining of a castle park classic for Shanghai Disneyland"
Levels of Fantasy

This is a new take on King Arthur's Carousel with the ride having multiple levels that are based of different fantasy themes.​

"CHALLENGE 4: Add a Muppet themed attraction to Animal Kingdom!"
This episode was actually the first thing I played on the Imagineering fourms!

Miss Piggy's Animal Training

Honeydew and Beaker teach Miss Piggy more about animals in a show so she can be prepared for her upcoming movie role as a zoologist​

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I haven't been keeping up with these that well so this calls for a...

SUPER MEGA OSC IDEA LIST

Lilo and Stitch

Lilo and Stitch take over the Main Street Electrical Parade with huge light up waves and lots of dancing to "Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride".

Wall-E and Eve's Trip through Space

Wall-E and Eve need your help to save M-O, who is trapped in a evacuation pod making his way to the Sun!

The Greater Beyond

A new interactive play area is coming to the Hollywood backlot in DCA where you can visit The Greater Beyond from the movie Soul

Music Kingdom

Music Kingdom is the 5th gate for WDW that features 6 lands from major music groups. (Pop, Rock, Hip Hop, Country, EDM, and Classical)

Mine Through Nature's Wonderland

Mine Through Nature's Wonderland is making a comeback at Hong Kong Disneyland with more upscale animatronics and more fun and unique story.

Can You Imagine That?

Mary Poppins and the new Banks children take you on a journey through the Bank's house and into new places with the song "Can You Imagine That"

Levels of Fantasy

This is a new take on King Arthur's Carousel with the ride having multiple levels that are based of different fantasy themes.

This episode was actually the first thing I played on the Imagineering fourms!

Miss Piggy's Animal Training

Honeydew and Beaker teach Miss Piggy more about animals in a show so she can be prepared for her upcoming movie role as a zoologist​
Woohoo!!!! Always love seeing your ideas!

• Lilo and Stitch is a natural fit for a light parade. The light up waves could be an incredible and distinct visual that feels both classic and fresh!
  • Wall-e might seem like an odd choice for an extreme rollercoaster, but that movie's audience has always skewed older. It could work really well!
  • The freeze on new trailers this year has kinda made it that Soul is the only upcoming film we know much about haha. But it works well and this would be fun!
  • Music Kingdom is a great idea! It gets passed around a lot in armchair imagineering, and for good reasons. It is a tough one though. A theme that might be difficult to stretch into a whole park. But if it can be done it would be great!
  • I adore minetrain through nature's wonderland and it would be a perfect fit for Hong Kong's more naturalistic environment!
  • Can you Imagine that was a great song and a great sequence! I could see bathtub tide vehicles and stuff like that making it special.
  • Levels of Fantasy is a great and simple concept! It would really fit with the spectacle/bigger is better vibe Shanghai has going on too
  • I love hearing how many people got their start with this game! And that sounds like an incredibly fun show

Brer Panther

Earl Sinclair's Primeval Whirl
1601249691426.png
Desperate to add another IP to Disney's Animal Kingdom, Disney remembers that it owns the rights to the old TGIF sitcom Dinosaurs and decides to retheme Primeval Whirl to the show - which, because today's Disney is notoriously cheap, amounts to little more than replacing the cardboard cutout dinosaurs with cutouts of the Sinclairs and adding some speakers to play the show's theme song throughout the attraction (this does not improve the attraction in the slightest, but at least now Disney can make a fortune off of selling Baby Sinclair dolls in the park's gift shops!).

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Earl Sinclair's Primeval Whirl
View attachment 501145
Desperate to add another IP to Disney's Animal Kingdom, Disney remembers that it owns the rights to the old TGIF sitcom Dinosaurs and decides to retheme Primeval Whirl to the show - which, because today's Disney is notoriously cheap, amounts to little more than replacing the cardboard cutout dinosaurs with cutouts of the Sinclairs and adding some speakers to play the show's theme song throughout the attraction (this does not improve the attraction in the slightest, but at least now Disney can make a fortune off of selling Baby Sinclair dolls in the park's gift shops!).
Some projects are great because I want them, some projects are great because I could 100% see it happening. This is definitely the latter lol

This was a really funny write up and a very cheesey fun idea to think about. And is just the right amount of cynical to tease Disney with.

Gonzo's Stunt Safari!

e1903aca465d30c52afe83390457e14b.jpg

What should be a cozy safari tour gets turned up a notch, as Gonzo takes the nature tour and turns it into a thrilling, off-the-wall drive through a stunt show complex...and we're the performers!​

You can really never go wrong with Gonzo in any setting lol

TwilightZone

1SC Retrospective
Season 4, Episode 3 - Clash of the Titans

29fd75e0-e4b5-42fe-997a-b4b908420a06-jpeg.289375

Hosted by: @DisneyFan18 (With a lot of help from @spacemt354)
Started on: June 10th, 2018
Won by: @MisterPenguin

Season 4 continued with kiiiiiinnndddd of another cohosted round!

This episode was hosted by @DisneyFan18. Though, due to some real life scheduling issues, DFan didn't have the time to keep hosting the whole season. So, after the first couple of rounds @spacemt354 took over. The prompts were pre-written though, so it was still DFan's Episode. Around the half way point, DFan was able to have more free time again. Space still handled much of the hosting duties, but DFan was able to give his own reviews most rounds and help out.

The theme was Clash of the Titans. A tongue in cheek play on the rivalry between Disney and Universal. The rounds alternated between which company we were working on. And the bonuses also tied directly into this theme. For every Disney round, the bonus was about Universal finding a way to one up what we added to Disney. For every Universal round, it was Disney rushing to rip off their competitor. A fun play on the classic theme park rivalry. It was a theme that stood out more since there had been very few rounds outside of Disney parks in One Sentence history up to this point, so the Universal stuff felt fresh and new!

The Episode kept the same basic 1-3 Sentences, 1 picture, 1 sentence bonus format. No wheel reinvention here, but the bonuses were more tied to the main prompts than almost ever before thanks to the Disney/Universal rivalry theme.

There was some occasional hiccups with Space doing much of the hosting for Dfan's game with confusion over prompts and phrasing. But nothing major.

A lot of this Episodes prompts tended to take more of a blue sky "what if" quality. Or just found ways to be outside the box. Between the addition of a Universal focus and the crazier prompts, this was a very fresh and exciting Episode that stood out even with using the standard format.

This Episode wasn't afraid to think outside the box (And outside the Disney Bubble) and encouraged some really fun ideas! Something to keep in mind as we head into the future!

Check out the 3rd Episode of the 4th Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 4, Episode 3!

@DisneyFan18 or @spacemt354 if you have any thoughts, insight, or memories you wanna share about hosting this episode I'd love to hear it!
Animal's Wild World of Animals
iu

This exhibit replacing Rafiki's Planet Watch will follow Animal as a brand new zoologist muppet character attempts to teach him about the world of the animal kingdom...only to end with typical Animal and animal chaos, but don't worry about missing out on learning about your favorite animals because the post show will be full of fun interactive muppet-themed learning exhibits based on various creatures.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Animal's Wild World of Animals
iu

This exhibit replacing Rafiki's Planet Watch will follow Animal as a brand new zoologist muppet character attempts to teach him about the world of the animal kingdom...only to end with typical Animal and animal chaos, but don't worry about missing out on learning about your favorite animals because the post show will be full of fun interactive muppet-themed learning exhibits based on various creatures.
Anything that adds some spice to Planet Watch without compromising the educational aspects is great in my book!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
1SC Retrospective
Season 4, Episode 4 - Double the Trouble Edition

orange-mickey-head-md-png.312841

Hosted by: @MickeyMousketeer and then @James G.
Started on: September 12th, 2018
Won by: N/A

Season 4 end in a bit of an awkward way.

This episode was hosted by @MickeyMousketeer. At least, at first.

The theme was Double the Trouble. Which became very fitting in a meta sort of way. The idea would be that each round there would be two prompts and two bonuses covering two parks! This would lead to an abbreviated season length, but still 12 prompts (most Episodes are 10-12 prompts long with only a few exceptions).

The Episode switched around a bit between 1-3 Sentences or 1-5 Sentences. But always had 1 picture, 1 sentence bonus.

This could have been a great episode and had some real fun ideas, but the bubble popped here.

Let me explain what I mean...

I like to think of the 1SC as a bubble. The more you add to the game (higher sentence counts, more complicated prompts, more research heavy or obscure prompts, complex themes, longer rounds, extra bonuses, etc) the more the bubble fills up. A big bubble can be great! But overfill the bubble, and it pops.

There have been a few times where the bubble got pretty close to popping before this. Usually that would lead to the contestants dropping out as the game goes on. Season 3, Episode 2 is a good example of this. The more complicated Blue Sky Park set up was a ton of fun, but also alienated casual players and lead to a smaller cast.

Back on the topic of S4E4, the bubble popped. The prompts were really interesting, but tended to be complex things that required research in Roy Disney's life or creating a new ride system. Plus the double prompts and double bonuses. Plus raising the sentence count. It started to become a bit too much.

Especially since the fall of 2018 is when the forum started to head into a bit of a dead period. Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 5 did amazing! And there were a couple of strong mid-tier games like One Little Spark seasons 1 and 2. But outside of a few events like those, the activity level on the forums slowed down big time from the Fall of 2018 till near the end of 2019. And this lull in activity across the board hurt the 1SC as we will see in the next few Episodes.

Between the metaphorical bubble pop, the activity on the forums in general slowing down, and some scheduling issues with @MickeyMousketeer that didn't give him the time to course correct, this Episode didn't last too long in its original form.

Enter: @James G.

1541208925520-png.323903

A relative newbie to this forum at the time, but a veteran in the art of armchair imagineering, James was one of the most loyal and excited players for the first part of the Episode. When MM was stepping down, they asked James to take over.

Things were scaled back considerably.

1 prompt at a time. Only 2 sentences and 1 picture. 1 Sentence bonus. Simple prompts. No ongoing scores or medals, just a winner of each round.

This half was only 3 rounds and was very lowkey and flowed pretty smoothly other than some issues with @James G.'s posts being delayed waiting for moderator approval because him and @D Hindley swear like sailors.

This Episode was kind of two different episodes. But they both work together to show the importance of not overcomplicating things. Because trying to do too much will make the really amazing stuff get lost in the shuffle. There will be a strong focus on trying not to pop the bubble going forward into the future.

Check out the 4th Episode of the 4th Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 4, Episode 4!

"CHALLENGE 1a: Create a Dark Ride for any park based on a live action Disney movie made before 1970 (no Mary Poppins!)"

@MickeyMousketeer or @James G. if you have any thoughts, insight, or memories you wanna share about hosting this episode I'd love to hear it!

TwilightZone

1SC Retrospective
Season 4, Episode 4 - Double the Trouble Edition

orange-mickey-head-md-png.312841

Hosted by: @MickeyMousketeer and then @James G.
Started on: September 12th, 2018

Season 4 end in a bit of an awkward way.

This episode was hosted by @MickeyMousketeer. At least, at first.

The theme was Double the Trouble. Which became very fitting in a meta sort of way. The idea would be that each round there would be two prompts and two bonuses covering two parks! This would lead to an abbreviated season length, but still 12 prompts (most Episodes are 10-12 prompts long with only a few exceptions).

The Episode switched around a bit between 1-3 Sentences or 1-5 Sentences. But always had 1 picture, 1 sentence bonus.

This could have been a great episode and had some real fun ideas, but the bubble popped here.

Let me explain what I mean...

I like to think of the 1SC as a bubble. The more you add to the game (higher sentence counts, more complicated prompts, more research heavy or obscure prompts, complex themes, longer rounds, extra bonuses, etc) the more the bubble fills up. A big bubble can be great! But overfill the bubble, and it pops.

There have been a few times where the bubble got pretty close to popping before this. Usually that would lead to the contestants dropping out as the game goes on. Season 3, Episode 2 is a good example of this. The more complicated Blue Sky Park set up was a ton of fun, but also alienated casual players and lead to a smaller cast.

Back on the topic of S4E4, the bubble popped. The prompts were really interesting, but tended to be complex things that required research in Roy Disney's life or creating a new ride system. Plus the double prompts and double bonuses. Plus raising the sentence count. It started to become a bit too much.

Especially since the fall of 2018 is when the forum started to head into a bit of a dead period. Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 5 did amazing! And there were a couple of strong mid-tier games like One Little Spark seasons 1 and 2. But outside of a few events like those, the activity level on the forums slowed down big time from the Fall of 2018 till near the end of 2019. And this lull in activity across the board hurt the 1SC as we will see in the next few Episodes.

Between the metaphorical bubble pop, the activity on the forums in general slowing down, and some scheduling issues with @MickeyMousketeer that didn't give him the time to course correct, this Episode didn't last too long in its original form.

Enter: @James G.

1541208925520-png.323903

A relative newbie to this forum at the time, but a veteran in the art of armchair imagineering, James was one of the most loyal and excited players for the first part of the Episode. When MM was stepping down, they asked James to take over.

Things were scaled back considerably.

1 prompt at a time. Only 2 sentences and 1 picture. 1 Sentence bonus. Simple prompts. No ongoing scores or medals, just a winner of each round.

This half was only 3 rounds and was very lowkey and flowed pretty smoothly other than some issues with @James G.'s posts being delayed waiting for moderator approval because him and @D Hindley swear like sailors.

This Episode was kind of two different episodes. But they both work together to show the importance of not overcomplicating things. Because trying to do too much will make the really amazing stuff get lost in the shuffle. There will be a strong focus on trying not to pop the bubble going forward into the future.

Check out the 4th Episode of the 4th Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 4, Episode 4!

"CHALLENGE 1a: Create a Dark Ride for any park based on a live action Disney movie made before 1970 (no Mary Poppins!)"

@MickeyMousketeer or @James G. if you have any thoughts, insight, or memories you wanna share about hosting this episode I'd love to hear it!
Babes in Toyland
Babes_in_toyland_1961_poster.jpg

This new dark ride placed in Fantasyland will bring guests to the colorful world of Toyland where visitors pass various locations from the movie after being shrunk down by Grumio's shrinking gun, this ride will be a modern take on the old school Fantasyland rides such as it's a small world and Snow White's Scary Adventures but in a new high tech way to truly bring the world shown in the movies to life.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Herbie's Hectic Raceway

1180w-600h_031319_the-love-bug-did-you-know.jpg

Climb behind the wheel of the world-famous Love Bug, as Herbie takes us on a high-speed race zooming past the competition and avoiding all sorts of i only dirty tricks by the other racers!​
Herbie! I only saw like one Love Bug movie one time years ago, but I saw it at just the right formative time in my childhood that I have an irrational love for Herbie lol. It would make a great madcap busbar dark ride!

Babes in Toyland
Babes_in_toyland_1961_poster.jpg

This new dark ride placed in Fantasyland will bring guests to the colorful world of Toyland where visitors pass various locations from the movie after being shrunk down by Grumio's shrinking gun, this ride will be a modern take on the old school Fantasyland rides such as it's a small world and Snow White's Scary Adventures but in a new high tech way to truly bring the world shown in the movies to life.
Babes in Toyland might not be the best movie, but it's visuals and world have such a charm to it that it is exactly the type of Mr. Toad/Song of the South type film where the ride could easily eclipse it popularity and charm!

Brer Panther

Oh, jeez, this is gonna be a hard one. I haven't seen many pre-1970 Disney live action movies.

Toby Tyler's Trip
1601341968689.png
Based on the 1960 live action film, this new addition to Fantasyland takes guests on a madcap tour of the circus that Toby Tyler joins before unceremoniously dumping guests into a gift shop selling plushes of the chimpanzee next to Toby on the cover of the DVD.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Oh, jeez, this is gonna be a hard one. I haven't seen many pre-1970 Disney live action movies.

Toby Tyler's Trip
View attachment 501458
Based on the 1960 live action film, this new addition to Fantasyland takes guests on a madcap tour of the circus that Toby Tyler joins before unceremoniously dumping guests into a gift shop selling plushes of the chimpanzee next to Toby on the cover of the DVD.
Lol part of why I chose this one was because it stuck in my mind cuz it was hard haha. Anything that expands Storybook Circus is good imo

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I have seen no other live action film before the 1970's beside Mary Poppins because I have heard awful things about them lol. So I guess I will just have to wait for tomorrow's prompt.
Well, I'd post tomorrow's early, but I actually ran out of my prewritten ones and have to go write it now. If you don't mind waiting, I'll post it as soon as it is done! Probably about 20-30 minutes depending on how distracted by Among Us I get lol

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
1SC Retrospective
Season 5, Episode 1 - The Anti-Park

osc-png.362434

Hosted by: @FireMountain
Started on: April 6th, 2019

Season 5 started in a bit of an awkward way.

This episode was hosted by @FireMountain. With a few guest reviews by @Evilgidgit.

The theme was Anti-Park. Which meant that everything was going to take place in WDW, but not inside any of the four theme parks.

The Episode returned to just 1-3 Sentences, 1 picture, 1 sentence bonus for every round.

This episode kind of failed to launch.

The awkward end to season 4 wound up breaking the rhythm that the game had going. Since there wasn't the usual passing of the torch at the end of an episode, there wasn't really a plan for starting the game back up. Instead of starting in (or near) January like Seasons 2, 3, and 4 did, Season 5 started in April. There was a few false starts and multiple people saying they wanted to relaunch the game but then neither doing it to avoid stepping on each other's toes. As I mentioned before, activity on the forums was low for much of 2019 and the activity we did have was pretty focused on Sorcerer's Apprentice Endgame, so 1SC just kind of fell by the way side.

Eventually, @FireMountain took up the reigns. And had some good ideas set up. @Evilgidgit couldn't commit to either hosting or cohosting at the time, but was going to do some guest reviews here or there.

They had a great host, great plan, great prompts, a great theme. Was set up to be a great Episode!

Unfortunately, the one thing that was lacking was time.

Fire wound up getting very busy irl and that lead to some gaps between the ends of rounds and reviews and the next round being posted throwing off the flow of the game and making it tough to keep up with. Players were busy with finals starting which lead to lower turn out. The Forum was also having some issues where notifications weren't going out.

No one submitted anything for the second prompt. Partly because not many people knew it had even been posted. It's tough to correct course when people didn't know new things were posted. And so, the Episode had a sudden end. A vague promise to return soon, but schedules never cleared up and that seemed to be it for the 1SC in 2019.

This Episode shows how important it is to have prompts pre-written keep the rhythm of the game going. Things to keep in mind as we head into the future.

Check out the 1st Episode of the 5th Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 5, Episode 1!

"CHALLENGE 1: Create a new courtyard for any of the three All Star Resorts"

@FireMountain (or @Evilgidgit as the guest judge) if you have any thoughts, insight, or memories you wanna share about hosting this episode I'd love to hear it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom