One Little Spark Competition (Sponsored by Stealing Things)

TheOriginalTiki

Disney Nature's Wonderland Resort: A Spiritual Reimagining of Fort Wilderness
Imagineering-Disney_Natures-Wonderland_map-2.jpg

For most of WDW's development, along with the big plans for an East Coast Disneyland and a city of the future, there was also major concern for lodging. Not wanting a repeat of the Vegas strip mall look of Harbor Blvd just across the street from the original Magic Kingdom, this Kingdom would be closed off to the real world almost entirely thanks to the buyout of hundreds upon hundreds of acres of surrounding woods and swampland. While the Contemporary and Polynesian Resorts would serve up the most upscale hotel experiences the company had yet to invest in, another resort promised something a little more rustic but still with a healthy helping of Disney magic.

Knowing that the days of the Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland were probably limited but also not wanting to give up the corporate synergy of having Nature's Wonderland be a direct tie in to the True Life Adventures series, the Nature's Wonderland Resort was designed to be part campground, part recreation area, and part wilderness preserve. The main result remains a fan favorite for people staying on property decades after opening.

The resort is split up into four main sections...The Living Desert, The Vanishing Prairie, Beaver Valley, and Bear Country. Bear Country and Beaver Valley are built around a small lagoon, while the Living Desert and Vanishing Prairie transition into each other on the east side of the resort. Bear Country and Beaver Valley contain most of the campgrounds while the desert and prairie offer unique themed rooms constructed right into the scenery as we'll get into later. Connecting the four main sections of the resort is the Nature's Wonderland Railway, a free transportation system that doubles as an homage to the classic Disneyland attraction and features a surprise recreation of the Rainbow Caverns along with scenic views of each of the headline areas.
cavernsplan8-15.jpg

The campground situated around a small lake features a longer and changed up version of the Country Bear Jamboree at the Magic Kingdom exclusively for guests staying at Nature's Wonderland. A fully functioning beaver dam and live beavers will be situated as the true to life barrier between the lagoon which the campground surrounds and the rest of the Seven Seas Lagoon, providing another incentive and animal encounter for guests.
bearcountry2.jpg

The Living Desert will feature a visual homage to the attraction in the form of various teetering rocks which look to come dangerously close to falling on guests as they walk through. Rattlesnakes, scorpions, roadrunners, and other various desert life are situated around various encampments within viewing distance but in safe range from guests. The Living Desert also features the premier pool of Nature's Wonderland...The Oasis themed to a traditional hideaway in the middle of the desert.
61Ksi6xt4gL.jpg

The Vanishing Prairie is perhaps the most ambitious of the sections, featuring a small canyon's worth of man-made rock work with hotel rooms built right into the side of the cliffs. Much like the Living Desert, various prairie creatures including buffalo and prairie dogs will be visible from right outside guests rooms, including glass holes built right into top floor rooms which offers the perspective of a prairie dog on to the room of the structure which the naked eye just sees as more prairie land.
Vanishing-Prairie-cover.jpg

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Alright, so I did not sleep super well last night. I don't think that if I stayed up to finish reviews tonight they would be really that good. And I think it is more important to get you guys helpful, thorough feedback and praise rather than rushing to get it out tonight.

BUT!

The reward for the winning team of this round won't take effect until later on in the round, so brainstorming can get started right away!

I'll be sending the brainstorming threads and the new scene out now. The reviews and results will be coming early in the day tomorrow!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
TJGoOiB.png

--The Set Up--

When California Adventure opened on February 8th, 2001, the park had what some may call a dissapointing initial attraction line up. Other may say "Dreadful" initial attraction line up.

Sure there were instant classics like Soarin, California Screming, Grizzly River Run, and this nightmare fuel...

DSC00037.jpg

But aside from a few key attractions, the rest of the park felt like filler. some very lightly themed carnival rides on Paradise Pier, a few 3D films from other park, a temporary seeming exhibit or two, Whoopi Goldberg. Not many exciting attractions. Much less attractions with Disney charm/characters and whole family appeal.

It's Tough to be a Bug and Bountiful Valley Farm were original attractions at Disney California Adventure when the park opened on February 8, 2001; both were originally part of the sprawling "Golden State" area. The term "attraction" is used loosley in reference to Bountiful Valley Farm as it was essentially just a display for Catepillar farming product.

bountifulfarm003.jpg

Even the magic of concept art can't make it look exciting.

The park suffered from low attendance in its early years, partially attributed to the lack of rides appropriate for young children and the low proportion of E-Ticket attractions to stores and restaurants. In response, a clone of Tower of Terror and the new Flik's Fun Fair – a collection of four rides and a water play area geared towards children and themed to the fictional universe of A Bug's Life – was built adjacent to the existing It's Tough to Be a Bug! theater. The fictional backstory for Flik's Fun Fair holds that Flik and the other bugs were inspired to create their own fun fair when Disney's California Adventure opened next door to them. When the Imagineers set out to build The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, they discovered the bugs in the garden and decided to open up Flik's fair to park guests.

Flik's Fun Fair opened on October 7, 2002, and became part of A Bug's Land, the new name for the collection of A Bug's Life-related attractions. Concurrently, Its Tough to Be a Bug!and Bountiful Valley Farm were transferred from Golden State to A Bug's Land, and the area's only store was re-themed with more focus on the film's characters.​

A new thrilling E-Ticket, a family focused area, 4 new rides for all ages, 5 total new attractions (6 if you count the splash pad). Overall, this expansion did a lot to help the park in its early days.

Yet, neither Bug's Land nor Tower of Terror is still there. Bug's Land was never seen as a great or beloved addition to the park. Tower of Terror was beloved, but usually seen as one of the worst versions of the attraction.

--The Challenge--

Imagineers, this is your challenge.

You must create a new land to solve the issues of Disney's California Adventure's early days in the same general location as Bug's Land/Tower of Terror and opening on October 7th, 2002.

This land must include:
1 E-Ticket Attraction
At least 2 new family focused attractions
At least 1 Disney IP in some way

It is up to you if you want to make your land an extension of what is already there or completely new. It is also up to you if you do or do not want to include Tough to Be a Bug or Bountiful Valley Farm (possibly rethemeing one or either of them) in your land or leave them separate from it.

This Scene is due Thursday, 11/01 at
11:59 PM WDW Time (8:59 Disneyland Time)

You have 6 days to complete this project.

--All for One: Group Based Project--

This Scene will be an All for One: Group Based Project. Meaning your whole team will work all together to create one project.

--Reward Round--

At the end of this round, the winning team will get a reward! It will be a small advantage for Scene 8.
Since this is a reward round, no one will be eliminated.

--Team Captains--

As a new feature of the game, team captains will be nominated each challenge to lead the team through the scene! They will be in charge of organizing the team and keeping them focused throughout the round.

@AceAstro will be the captain of Team Orange this round.

@Disneylover152 will be the captain of Team Purple this round.

If either of you either can not do it this round or, for whatever reason, do not feel comfortable to do it this round, no worries! Just let me and your team know as soon as possible so another person can take over for you. If anyone would like to be the team captain in an upcoming scene, let me know and I can make sure that happens!

ahVbt25.gif

Alright, teams. Have fun! Go Create! Dream Big!​

spacemt354

Chili's
space's reviews

Evilgidgit - Bedknobs & Broomsticks: Enchanted Travels
Overall, I was really impressed with this one - well researched, good organization, and a great instinct of location as well, as I could definitely see this realistically being a part of the Magic Kingdom not only in Snow White's location but in this time period too. I think you've got a knack for creative writing and it shows with your detail and precision when doing these types of projects. Definitely one of your strengths and you've gotten even better as time has gone on. One area of improvement would be to try and step out of your comfort zone a bit if you have time in a future challenge. You posted the old Snow White map but if you highlighted the layout with your attraction layout, just basically painted over it, it would have been pretty neat! It really doesn't take too much time - 30 mins tops, and once you get good at it, the artwork will become second nature and easier.

TwilightZone - Space Patrol
I like the concept of having Pirates in Tomorrowland but I'm a little confused with the timeline here. It seems like this is taking place in present day with the references to present day locations. That being said I appreciate your continued effort to try doing some artwork throughout the project. Actually the opposite advice for improvement than Evil, for yourself I'd focus more on a cohesive narrative and writing. You've got the artwork, but the narrative flow is a bit disjointed. The google slides is nice but when it's just bullet points without additional reference photos, it can be hard to follow.

AceAstro - Huayna Mountain (in blue jay blue)
Off the bat, the video effects and photoshop are stand-out components of the project. The finale map reminding me very much of stuff I'd see from @D Hindley and that is a compliment in the highest regard. I'm mixed on something so similar to the Matterhorn seeing that Space Mountain is essentially an evolution of the Matterhorn and in 1974 it was under construction, so that would mean the MK would have 2 coasters that are the same style. Aside from that - the stats are a great touch and the 'realism' of the proposal itself (sans from the SM point) are really top notch.

TheOriginalTiki - Disney Nature's Wonderland Resort
I really like this re-imagining of Fort Wilderness. I think it gives the resort a character that it needs. That character being the naturalistic flow and nostalgia of Nature's Wonderland. I'm assuming that this resort is taking the place of Fort Wilderness (ie in the same location), I think the guests will have a lot to experience over there, especially having the Country Bears being over there. The isolation of Fort Wilderness is something that tends to keep people from exploring it since it takes a while to get there...however if there's enough to see and do over there not only would I see this being a nice family resort, but a destination to experience on a Disney vacation, sort of like going for a day at the water park.

OutboundFlight - The PeopleMover (in yankee blue)
Probably the most ambitious project out of the bunch - and one that would make @Skipper2 proud, this is definitely a bold move and one I'd really be interested in seeing if it could be possible. If anything because it would mean a longer peoplemover experience. :p I like your flow and design tactics, especially the assisted boarding and accompanying image which was innovative and custom - nice job. The flow through the attraction as well was believable and well written. You have really improved since the early days of the comp in those departments! In the end, while perhaps not the 'most' realistic proposal, I appreciate the ambition and continued improvement.

pixie_princess - Down the Rabbit Hole
Adding another Alice attraction and mixing it with the style of the Matterhorn is a great way to successfully expand Fantasyland beyond the Tea Cups without resorting to the typical Toontown motif. Another mountain in the northwest corner of the park would also adjust the sightlines in a unique way for years to come, which to me is another plus! The proposal was very well organized describing each component of the attraction. Nothing too fancy about any of it other than it was effectively described. I can't say I was overly impressed by it but I also don't want to count your past excellence against you when you might be busy - so I'll chalk it up to a job well done for the circumstances and call it there.

In the end - good work by everyone who submitted! It's not easy in the fall with everything going on, so you all deserve props for your continued efforts in making this comp a success.

mickeyfan5534

Review Time!

Mythic River Boats - @D Hindley
I'm always here to see some classical mythology in a Fantasyland and I LOVE THIS. Everything is point by point perfection. I love how you put in some really simple but strong effects like the stars in the cave and the volcano spewing smoke. But most of all, you didn't really go for the obvious stories. The Minotaur, Orpheus, Jason and the Argonauts, the Iliad. They're well known but not something you normally see in these rundowns. I love this and I wish we could have seen something like this.

Bedknobs & Broomsticks: Enchanted Travels - @Evilgidgit
I'm a man of two minds about this one. On one hand, I don't know if this should have been the Snow White of the Magic Kingdom. I don't get a huge sense of horror or scary that was Snow White. What I do get is a wild and crazy Mr. Toad or a curious exploration Alice in Wonderland sense. So getting that out of the way, I really like this. It's a strong dark ride that follows the story of the movie but still allows you to insert yourself into the story. Overall, a great project.

Space Patrol - @TwilightZone
My first reaction seeing this concept was 'oh what's this?' And I was kind of disappointed. It feels like a copy-paste of the Mister Toad concept, especially on the Pirate side. But that's a great format. It just needed a little fine tuning on both ends and you would have had a winner. Especially with that concept of Space Cops vs. Space Pirates. I could actually see this being a really great narrative E-ticket without needing the two sides. I honestly would have jumped for joy if you used this concept for a Tomorrowland take on Pirates oof the Caribbean. Overall, amazing concept with execution that could have been better.

Huayna Mountain - @AceAstro
I've always thought Adventureland needed a mountain and I love that you did a great take off of The Matterhorn for it. I know I sort of tore into TwilightZone for doing something similar but you took The Matterhorn's plot and made it fit Adventureland beautifully. I love that we're looking for treasure and getting chased by a mummy. Its quintessential early Magic Kingdom. And that ride through. I have to give you kudos for it.

Disney Nature's Wonderland Resort - @TheOriginalTiki
I know I've done this twisting of a prompt in SYWTBAI so you get a standing ovation from me for this. This is really great. I really love this. It's a fun take on the concept of Nature's Wonderland and one that is very easily expanded on for the future. I love this. I really do. I can't say much more other than how much I love this because it works so well and that it's such a great take on the prompt.

Sleepy Hollow Inn - @PerGronStudio
It felt a both a little too derivative of the Haunted Mansion and didn't feel enough like the Haunted Mansion at the same time, if that makes sense. I'm not really sure how the stretching room makes sense as you have set it up. If I'm being perfectly honest, the ride almost feels more like a spiritual successor to Snow White's Scary Adventure once you take away the stretching room. Ok that's the bad, for the good: it's a great ride. It's spooky, haunting, fun. It has some really great moments, like the banshee and the ghost of Ichabod. Overall, a good job where the good far outweighs the bad.

The PeopleMover - @OutboundFlight
I wasn't sure about this concept. And then I read the ride through. I really like this. A trip through the ages isn't really something I could see with the Railroad and it's a really fun take on park wide transportation. It's proto-Epcot with the edutainment aspect of it as well and it feels accurate to the time. There's a lot to be said for just a tight, strong concept and pulling it off in the project and you did it. Kudos.

Down the Rabbit Hole - @pixie_princess
Alice in Wonderland is one of my favorite rides at Disneyland so I couldn't wait for this and you pulled it off beautifully. Hybridizing the dark ride with the Matterhorn was inspired and it looks like something WED would have absolutely thought of. And the scenes are really some of the best parts of the film. Like I said for OutboundFlight, there's a lot to be said for just a tight, strong concept and pulling it off in the project.

Overall, great job everyone.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
-Team Purple Reviews-

@Disney Dad 3000 - No Submission

Unless, I missed it you didn't submit anything. You did submit back for Scene 2 for the first individual round (though a bit late), but you have not been as active throughout the rest of the game as a lot of the other players. This shouldn't be too big of a mark against you, but this may effect things during the next eliminations heading into the finals having missed once and had spotty activity.

@Disneylover152 - No Submission

Unless, I missed it you didn't submit anything. You also did not submit back for Scene 2 for the first individual round, but you have been active throughout the rest of the game, so this shouldn't be too big of a mark against you. But this may effect things during the next eliminations heading into the finals having missed twice.

@Evilgidgit - Bedknobs & Broomsticks: Enchanted Travels

This was a wonderfully outside the box project! You don’t see Bedknobs & Broomsticks get much love from Disney or from Disney fans. But what better time to build a ride than right when it comes out at peak popularity! It is clear this is an idea you have wanted to do for a while and had a definite passion for! Overall, I thought this was a pretty great project that did a great job at telling a story in dark ride form.

Fantasyland style dark rides are not usually good at telling stories more complex than “wander around till something bad happens and then we escape and/or get sent to hell.” Yet, you manage to tell the story in such a simple, concise, visual, and streamlined way that you make a rather complex plot (by dark ride standards) work very well! That is something that I think might be the strongest part of the project. You took what is usually the biggest weakness of this style of ride and made it work as its biggest strength!

That is something you are really good at. I remember in the Lilo & Stitch project, I was really unsure of how the ride would blend into Magic Kingdom’s Fantasyland without changing a lot, yet your write up entirely sold me on it! You have a knack for turning weaknesses into strengths!

Plus, just overall this was a strong dark ride concept!

There were some negatives though. Relatively small in the grand scheme of things, but definitely some negatives that hold your project back a bit. Primarily as they relate to the scene itself.

First off, the facade and queue seem perfect for modern Fantasyland, especially over in Disneyland. But for 70s Magic Kingdom with this ride type, it is (and I’m aware this is gonna sound weird) too good. This was an era where the queues and facades were all the festival tents and switchbacks. Your queue is excellent and immersive and realistic scale for a dark ride, but it is too much Fantasyland in this era. It would stick out pretty heavily in Florida Fantasyland at the time.

Also, I’m not sure if this as a substitute/replacement for Snow White works. Snow White’s Scary Adventures were famous for being… well… scary. A substitute/replacement for that ride at opening day should match that scary tone. If you had modelled this more on the whimsical tone of Peter Pan’s flight (flying beds actually flying could have been a neat touch) or the madcap tone of Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride, this would have made a lot more sense. As it stands, it feels less of a substitute for snow White and more of just an excuse to do a dark ride.

Summing it all up, this is an excellent dark ride with amazing story telling that would be sure to have many classic scenes that would be remembered for years to come, but some issues with how it fits into the land and as a substitute for Snow white might hold you back.

@nated1226 - No Submission

Unless, I missed it there you didn't submit anything. You did submit back for Scene 2 for the first individual round and have been active throughout the game, so this shouldn't be a major mark against you.

@PerGronStudio - Sleepy Hollow

Perhaps the most unique presentation of the competition so far! It isn’t super complex and flashy, but the simple intro and outtro and font change did a great job themeing your presentation as a secret imagineering document and was an excellent touch adding a lot of charm and character to your project. It was a small thing, but it was a unique thing that really helped you to stand out!

The idea behind this was really strong tying Sleepy Hollow more into Liberty Square as a thematic fit while not losing the charm of the original land. It also does a great job of serving as a successor to Haunted Mansion without feeling like just a retread of the ride with the Headless Horseman added in. This is very much its own unique ride while also serving as a fantastic spiritual successor and substitute for the Haunted Mansion. A perfect fit for the prompt! Only thing that didn’t blend is the stretching room. It felt like you included it just because of it’s fame with it really not fitting here. A different preshow could have improved the project more.

The addition of other spooks, creatures, and ghosts known to the New England area was a smart evolution of the source material! It feels like maybe a bit of a stretch going from the classic short with one ghost that was implied to possibly just be a prank from Brom Bones to a world full of ghastly ghouls. Yet, it works really well in your write up!

I remember @kmbmw777 doing a Brave rollercoaster in the first round of Sorceerer’s Apprentice Season 4 (it was a part of the infamous 84 page Fantasyland expansion) that involved Merida having to battle a dragon. On one hand, adding a dragon is a pretty big leap from the movie. Yet, it worked the way it was executed without feeling too random or like too much of a stretch. Your project did a similar thing. My only complaint is that I would have liked to see one or two more unique ghosts in your write up besides just the banshee woman. Even just in a passing mention of ghouls also found in the ride, if not full explanations.

Also, the ending with Ichabod… At first while reading, I thought that seemed a step too far and perhaps too dark. Granted, this park also opened with ride that ends in Hell, so maybe this isn’t too far. Yet, Ichabod being shown to be dead unlike the more ambiguous ending of the short feels like perhaps a step too far into a dark direction.

BUT

The ending that bookends the attraction back in the Inn with another party showing Ichabod as a ghost still happily eating away as he did in life was the perfect light hearted, reassuring not to end on! It was a great, fun way to end the potentially too dark attraction. It is like how don Bluth says that you can make a kid’s movie as dark and scary as you want as long as it ends happy. You manage to end happy and create a great experience! And the bookending nature of the last scene being a call back to the first scene was great!

Summing it all up, there were some small issues here and there with grammar and tone, and a ride layout map would have been nice, but despite these this was an incredible attraction that fit the prompt perfectly and is something I could see being a classic for years to come!

@TwilightZone - Space Patrol

Let me start by saying that I love this concept! This is something Disney should build today as a part of their Tomorrowland refresh! It manages to be fun and whimsical and dark and goofy and exciting all at once and without IP. I love the story and the dual sided nature of the 2 different ride experiences. It is very clever and fun! And a great series of set pieces too.

I’m gonna assume you meant Buzz and Monsters Inc becoming connected for the location? Or was there meant to be a bridge over to the Stitch building? The writing was really unclear on that, but for the project as a whole, the writing tended to be simple in an effective, straight forward way. I definitely think that in future round, trying to push yourself to try more detailed writing could really help you to grow more as an Imagineer. But as it stands, you have a knack for communicating a lot very simply which is a great talent unto itself. Basically what I’m saying is that your writing isn’t bad, but you tend to write the same way for every project, I think you could start to grow more by pushing yourself more with writing!

I really admire how you have been pushing yourself with more art! And your art is pretty good too! It has a real character and charm to it! Well done there! You have a pretty decent amount of art too, even if most of it is pretty simple. For a presentation like this, more art that is simpler tends to be better than one grand art piece.

My last big positive thing to say is that Tomorrowland at park opening was the land with the most empty space and the most needed. Your choice of that location was a very smart one that could have really helped the park in its early year.

There are some problems with this though.

First off, the technology for a lazer blaster ride was about thirteen years away from being ready in 1971. Keeping track of scores on individual cars about twenty years away at least. It might be weird to imagine with how commonplace that tech has been in theme parks and amusement parks worldwide for the last 20 years, but integrating video game ideas into rides was a really high tech concept when it came out. And 1971 was over a decade before the NES released. So, that is sadly a big blow to your realism.

Also, this doesn’t feel like much of a substitute for Mr. Toad. That ride is known for its dark, abrupt ending and you do have that. But most of what makes Toad special and memorable is its madcap style of tight corners and crazy things happening. What you took from Mr. Toad is its most controversial aspects (mostly hell) and made them even more intense.

Summing it all up, a really clever and fun dark ride in an area of the park that could really use it, but you missed the mark on the two major parts of the prompt (being a substitute attraction and being in the early 70s) making this feel more like a generically good ride than a good ride for this round.

-Team Orange Reviews-

@AceAstro - Huayna Mountain

While reading this I at first found myself thinking “these sattelite maps with a green blob for the mountain is neat, but knowing how talented Ace is, I was hoping he’d do a bit more than a green blob” and then I got further into the project and found the amazing map with the mountain looking eerily authentic to the actual map of that era integrated perfectly!

Also, while reading this I at first found myself thinking “This write up is good, but as someone who has never gotten to ride the Matterhorn, it is a bit tough to follow. With how reliant this write up is on knowledge of the original including a ride through video would have been great” and then I got further into the project and found that not only is there a ride through video, but one OVERLAID WITH YOUR NEW ELEMENTS!

What I’m saying is that your project did an amazing job at consistently giving me exactly what I was wanting from it!

The art and the video are absolutely incredible! How each element would work is crystal clear! The writing is simple, yet clever and clear. The concept is strong. The ideas are strong. The execution is strong. And that video was perfect.

Plus, this being on the left side of the park would have gone a long way towards balancing out space Mountain on the other side of the park.

There are some small negatives though. For one thing, taking an elevator below the train tracks is great in California. Almost certainly impossible in Florida. You can barely go 2 feet underground without hitting water. Going over the train tracks instead of under would have worked a lot better. As much as I did love the mine elevator preshow with the rising rock walls. Very cool. Though perhaps a bit confusing to do that drop deep into the mines only to exit the cavern shortly after back on ground level before boarding.

Also, with Space Mountain being similar in layout and using a nearly identical ride system/double track layout, it might have been smart for you to either use a different coaster type or make a not that Space Mountain was changed in this timeline. A bit of repetitiveness in ride type isn’t too bad. But look at the three different Fantasyland dark rides at opening. Peter pan was suspended, Mr. Toad was more of a traditional Pretzel style for tighter turns, and Snow White was longer for broader turns. A bit more to differentiate your ride from Space Mountain design wise would have helped.

BUT these problems were minor in what was an otherwise amazing project!

Summing it all up, your idea was clever and unique and extremely well communicated with an amazing map and an amazing video with some minor problems with integrating it into Florida holding it back from being perfect.

@D Hindley - Mythic River Boats

What a fantastic first project for the scene! This was exactly the kind of project I had in mind when writing this scene. You manage to capture all the elements that make Storybookland Canal Boats a classic while also making your attraction feel distinct and unique! The idea of adding another small land to Magic Kingdom at opening is a really interesting one and I could see it blending really well as a sort of connection to Fantasyland while still feeling unique sort of like Critter Country and Frontierland back West.

With your time restraints, I know you were dissapointed in not being able to make any original art, but your use of reference photos is so excellent that it really doesn’t hurt the project. Original art can almost always improve projects (especially with art as good as your’s), but this is a great example that a lack of original art or having a very simple presentation doesn’t make a project visually bad. While Docs isn’t always the best choice because it can help make projects look plain, I personally would rather it be used as a way to get around the 10 picture limit on forum posts over splitting projects over multiple forum posts. One last note on presentation, there are some small mistakes in grammar or phrasing and polish, but considering your time restraints and how few and far between they are, I’m not gonna hold that against you at all.

Overall, I don’t have too much to say about the ride through itself beyond that I love it. The perfect balance of blue sky and realistic with some show scenes that would become instantly iconic. My only concern is that the giant minotaur head and the trip through the underworld may be a lot more intense and scary than the Monstro mouth and the Cave of Wonders from the original. But neither is intense to the point of being a serious concern. Thebes with its statue garden of heroes and Medusa’s temple are probably my personal favorite parts but it is all very good!

Summing it all up, the (very understandable) lack of polish might keep this from breaking the top 3, but this was still an incredible project demonstrating a great understanding of Greek myths, what makes Storybookland Canal Boats a classic, and the scene itself even with your lack of availability this round!

@OutboundFlight - The PeopleMover

Wow! This was not something I was expecting to enjoy as much as I did when I saw the initial concept. Yet, you did an amazing job with it! Feels equal parts classic Epcot and classic Disney. A grand evolution of the Train Ride from Disneyland with its dioramamas as a transport option.

Your writing is incredible with an incredible flow to it! It is just astoundingly well written and inviting making me feel like I was actually riding it as I read. The amount of reference photos was incredible and the choices of photos was great (side note, one of the benefits of this being just a fun competition is that you don’t actually have to cite source for photos like you do in school, but I like that you thought about that and wanted to be honest and all. Usually, I’d only say to cite the source if it is fan art or from someone else on the forum). Your map was perfect and very helpful too btw.

Overall, just a great flow to this and a great read with a really clever pacing and selection of scenes. Also, making it better handicap accessible was a very nice touch!

There are some potential issues I see. For one thing, the PeopleMover with its very futuristic design and style might look out of place in Adventureland/Frontierland and Fantasyland. However, it is mostly entirely hidden in those lands. It appears to be visible as it crosses the speedway, but being over the speedway gives it some wiggle room as that already is an imperfect fit at the edge of Fantasyland. The only real problem are is crossing Tom Sawyer Island. I understand needing it to do that to have the station where you wanted int and to travel through the Mansion, but I think a more elegant solution rather than cutting right over the island would have really helped as I can’t imagine a way for that to blend into the environment.

Also, the PeopleMover travels faster than a regular dark ride (much faster than a boat ride or an omnimover). And for a transportation ride around the park, slowing it down is not really practical option. Some of your scenes (especially in the Medieval section) feel too large scale for this ride type. Focusing more on the atmosphere rather than on having a large number of animatronics would have worked better. This is one of the few times static figures would have been more effective.

One last positive note I thought of while writing this. The PeopleMover being elevated would have gone a long way towards helping to solve the biggest issue with the Train! The tracks have always been on of the most complicated and limiting things making expansion of the parks a pain. An elevated track guests can just walk under or rides can just go under would be amazing for the future of the park!

Summing it all up, replacing the absolutely iconic Train with an extended PeopleMover is a risky idea, but you pull it of while also bring a bit of classic Epcot to Magic Kingdom, but there are some definite thematic issues with this ride type and vehicle traveling through the entire park.

P.S. Your ride traveling through Huyana Mountain may be my favorite small detail of the round!

@pixie_princess - Down the Rabbit Hole

You have one of the best sense of color of anyone on this board. The gray and pink color scheme of your presentation was simple, yet effectively and blended excellently with the colors of Wonderland, In the movie, as well as in all the reference photos you chose, Wonderland is often seen with bright, yet not unnaturally bright, colors contrasting against relatively dark backgrounds. Your pink text against the gray background popped and also made the colors of your photos pop as well. I’ve seen it time and time and again, you have a real sense for colors and how to make them work together and it just seems so natural.

I love this concept! Blending Alice and the Matterhown is a very clever and crazy idea! The location you chose was perfect for it with the big open space being right near the Tea Cup ride. Very good use of the map btw! It may not be anything too flashy, but I know that maps (or rather a lack of) has tended to be an issue with you in the past, so while simple this was a nice sign of progress.

I would have liked a bit more detail on the ride through. You started out real strong with the detail in your write up, but from the Doorknob onward each page is basically “and then this character is there.” Some more info would have been very helpful there. Especially in terms of environments. Are we in the woods the whole time? Is this ride mostly dark with just the figure and important bits lit up like Rockin Rollercoaster? Detail has been an achiles heel for you in the past and it definitely hurt this one too. Considering the beginning is so detailed and the ride itself is much less so (increasingly less so as time goes on), I get the sense that this was perhaps done last minute. More detail isn’t always needed, but establishing the setting is a very important detail that is needed. And large empty spaces on slides really highlights the parts where detail is lacking.

Either way, in the future, it would help to either start with the ride through and do the queue last or combine rooms into just being sections of the ride. The last three scenes could have easily just been one Tea Party section. The tweedles could have been in with the flowers as a Forest Section. The doorknob in with the oversized objects as one Shrunken section. Things like that. As it stands, it looks like you laid out all the slides and then ran out of time to finish them. Combining and simplifying your parts could go a long way towards helping you not have to rush as much (or at least not seeming as rushed). Then, expand later if you can and have time.

Also, as I mentioned in AceAstro’s Review, this is rather similar to Space Mountain in layout and very similar in ride system. Your’s is also right near Space Mountain. BUT your ride through differentiates itself more from Space Mountain with the much more colorful and unique visuals. I still would have liked to see a different coaster style used or at least an ackknowledgement of the similarities to Space Mountain.

Summing it all up, your concept is great and your presentation is beautiful with fantastic use of colors and visuals to communicate everything, but the lack of important details and rushed feeling hold it back a bit.

@TheOriginalTiki - Nature’s Wonderland Resort

Let me start by saying that I love this!

Let me follow this up by saying that I’m rather torn on this.

On one hand, this makes a great spiritual successor/ substitute for Minetrain through Nature’s Wonderland (one of my personal favorite lost attractions I never got to ride). It also fits beautifully into the timeline of Disney history tying together time lines for both parks in subtle/clever/realistic way. So, you truly captured the spirit of what this scene was about.

On the other hand, this wasn’t what the prompt was for. “You must each create a new substitute attraction in Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom,” was the prompt. What you made was neither an attraction nor in Magic Kingdom. It was a resort near by. So, while you captured the spirit of the scene, you did actually do what the prompt said.

The resort itself is fantastic though! I’m such a sucker for campground projects and was very close to having one this season, so I am glad to see someone did one! The blend of regular rooms hidden by rockwork and campgrounds was brilliant. Maybe a bit too extravagent for realism, but this was also an era where Disney was at their most extravagent doing things like creating a water bridge over road just so there would be no overpasses visible around the Seven Seas Lagoon or buying a small city worth of swamp land to build one park and trusting they’d use the rest eventually.

Country Bear Jamboree was a huge draw back then, So, having an extended exclusive version at the campground would be a huge plus in the 70s! It is kinda funny, I almost think the resort is enough of a draw already that this was unneeded. But it is a very nice bonus. My only real concern with it was that the more cartoony bears might feel out of place when the Nature’s Wonderland Resort as a whole is a lot more grounded in a realistic aesthetic. But it isn’t too far outside that aesthetic to be a serious issue. It is a bit of a stretch thematically from the rest of the resort though.

Overall, I love it a lot! It just has the big problem of being neither an attraction nor in Magic Kingdom. You follow the spirit of the prompt enough that I won’t mark you down too much for that, but it definitely is enough outside the prompt for this scene that I have to mark you down for it. Which is a shame because this is such an excellent project with a clear amount of passion.

Summing it all up, not an attraction. Not in the Magic Kingdom. Otherwise, astounding.​

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
It was truly incredibly close as there were so many amazing projects and all of you have grown so much over the course of the game!
But the winning team is...

ORANGE TROPHY.png

Team Orange!

The award for winning this round will be another secret one! I'll be letting you know in your brainstorming thread later tonight!

Now, I won't do full rankings or anything for individual based rounds, but I will be doing top 3's. This top 3 was incredibly difficult to choose and there was some point in time while making the final decision that nearly every project was briefly considered for my top 3.

This time with an extra bonus! The winner of 1st place this round will get immunity from the next elimination guaranteeing a spot Act 4, the semifinals!

3rd Place - @pixie_princess

While the issues with your project and the presentation may have been more noticeable than in some of the others, they did less to hurt the final project than issues did with some of the others that didn't quite make the top 3. A very visually interesting presentation with a very strong idea, just a bit short on detail.

2nd Place - @AceAstro

An incredible presentation on an incredible idea! A very visual project with the video and the map being excellent touches! Some issues with redundancy and realism of the Florida environment were the only things holding this back from the top spot in what was a very very competitive top 3!

1st Place - @PerGronStudio

While perhaps there were a few problems and issues with what was included but shouldn't have been and what wasn't included but should have been, this was overall a fantastic project with a unique presentation and clever execution! Congratulations on your victory this round and on becoming the first official semi-finalist!​

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
This is just a generic question to anyone that knows... How does Florida's Haunted Mansion work? Is it still the standard elevator like DLR?
It roof stretches upwards but you exit on the same floor if I'm not mistaken.
Yup, nothing goes below ground in Florida unless the ground is a lie (Like the Land Pavilion and Wonders of Life which have built up fake hills they sit on top of). It is genuienly surprising to find a Disney fun fact you don't already know, Ace lol

AceAstro

Yup, nothing goes below ground in Florida unless the ground is a lie (Like the Land Pavilion and Wonders of Life which have built up fake hills they sit on top of). It is genuienly surprising to find a Disney fun fact you don't already know, Ace lol
That's just it! I had no idea the ceiling there raised but not going to WDW often didn't even think of the water issue. Would've always thought the Haunted Mansion worked the same had you not said anything :D

Outbound

The only real problem are is crossing Tom Sawyer Island. I understand needing it to do that to have the station where you wanted int and to travel through the Mansion, but I think a more elegant solution rather than cutting right over the island would have really helped as I can’t imagine a way for that to blend into the environment.​

Ugh, I was so caught up in the announcer I forgot to add a footnote here.

The crossing for the Rivers of America would be covered by a wooden bridge more or less like this, with Tom's island being where Columbus "lands".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom