One Little Spark Competition (Sponsored by Stealing Things)

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Good news!

No eliminations this round! Everyone was an active participant in one way or another. Fair warning, as we move into the second half and start heading closer to the final few rounds, there may be more eliminations coming. But for the next week or two, you can all breathe easily.

There will be some changes to the teams for the second half!

These changes are done to try to better balance play styles and experience and skill sets. As well as trying to pair people who tend to be active at similar times of day. I tried to keep the number of changes small though to not disrupt things fully.

@pixie_princess will move from Team Purple to Team Orange.

@TwilightZone and @Disneylover152 will move from Team Orange to Team Purple.

1540095618831.png

But team change ups aren't the only changes going into Scene 6!

With the end of Act 2, Scene 5 tonight, we also come to the end of Act 2!

This competition will be 10 scenes over the course of 5 acts. Each act will have its own theme. Act 1 was all about big, blue sky, out of the box projects meant to help the teams get to know each other and me get to know them. Act 2 was all about focusing on and practicing individual aspects of Armchair Imagineering as well as laughing at Star Wars Prequel Memes.

For Act 3, we’re going back… to the FUTURE!! Well, the past technically.

1540095744988.png

Welcome to the third act of the One Little Spark Competition!

This act will have 3 Scenes!

The Scenes in this act will be made to each take place in a different year somewhere in between 1955 and 2018. We will travel through time to have some fun, unique, and interesting prompts from throughout Disney Parks history! The prompts themselves (other than the time travel) will mostly be standard armchair imagineering projects with no limitations or requirements on pictures or words. This is your chance to do these projects however you would like as we travel through time and space!

VivnYC8.gif

pixie_princess

Good news!

No eliminations this round! Everyone was an active participant in one way or another. Fair warning, as we move into the second half and start heading closer to the final few rounds, there may be more eliminations coming. But for the next week or two, you can all breathe easily.

There will be some changes to the teams for the second half!

These changes are done to try to better balance play styles and experience and skill sets. As well as trying to pair people who tend to be active at similar times of day. I tried to keep the number of changes small though to not disrupt things fully.

@pixie_princess will move from Team Purple to Team Orange.

@TwilightZone and @Disneylover152 will move from Team Orange to Team Purple.

View attachment 321145

But team change ups aren't the only changes going into Scene 6!

With the end of Act 2, Scene 5 tonight, we also come to the end of Act 2!

This competition will be 10 scenes over the course of 5 acts. Each act will have its own theme. Act 1 was all about big, blue sky, out of the box projects meant to help the teams get to know each other and me get to know them. Act 2 was all about focusing on and practicing individual aspects of Armchair Imagineering as well as laughing at Star Wars Prequel Memes.

For Act 3, we’re going back… to the FUTURE!! Well, the past technically.

View attachment 321146

Welcome to the third act of the One Little Spark Competition!

This act will have 3 Scenes!

The Scenes in this act will be made to each take place in a different year somewhere in between 1955 and 2018. We will travel through time to have some fun, unique, and interesting prompts from throughout Disney Parks history! The prompts themselves (other than the time travel) will mostly be standard armchair imagineering projects with no limitations or requirements on pictures or words. This is your chance to do these projects however you would like as we travel through time and space!

VivnYC8.gif

I love RHPS and I love the Time Warp and your video BUT you cut my favorite part of the song and I was so ready to sing too:/

spacemt354

Chili's
Team Purple - Land, Sea, Sky
Before beginning I'd just like to applaud the team for their continued effort this round, with people traveling, even in surgery, and yet still brainstorming and working together on the parade concept.

Your continued efforts to produce artwork and try new things with your great soundtrack, posters, and more is very impressive. That is what I like to see - people pushing themselves into new territories and giving something a shot, because that's the only way you grow!

The Land, Sea, Sky parade I think is a great fit for Disney's Animal Kingdom, combining the themes of mother nature with relevant Disney IPs, as well as the message of the park as a whole. I think it's a nice daytime compliment to Rivers of Light as well.

Some room for improvement would be structure and flow of the project. The description of the parade is good, a bit pithy at times, but the images get the job done. What I'd really like to see, and I mentioned this in the previous round review so it's why I'm a bit disappointed it didn't happen, is a map. Without taking anything away from the terrific concept art, there wasn't a real focus on the 'why' and the 'where' visuals. Yes, bullet points work to describe it...but it doesn't invite the reader to learn more. It's basic and a kind of boring way to begin a project.

For the future project together -- try to start off with a 'wow' and focus on the 'why' of what you're working on....if you focus on the reasons why you're doing something, trust me, the brainstorming will flow much more naturally and you'll have a neat, cohesive project at the end of it.

Team Orange - Paint the Waves
I really like the idea of a nighttime parade and the reasons behind it. WDW really does need some more nighttime parades. However I do question the location. I'm not a big fan of having it be in Disney Springs, rather, I'd have it replace the Electrical Water Pageant. The theme is of the Seven Seas so why not have it on the Seven Seas Lagoon? I get the idea of potentially having a larger audience but non-Disney guests also frequent Disney Springs so they'd basically be getting a high-level parade for free. The exclusivity of the MK area (while still some could be non-guests) the majority of the viewers would be resort guests...and there would be no need for extra seating as there's prime viewing slots at all the MK resorts for a water parade.

Getting to the parade itself - I love the concept for it! The artwork is fantastic and great contributions from the team as a whole. The descriptions are well done, as it fills in the gaps of the concept art to give a more well rounded perspective to the parade as a whole. The slides were also well designed as well. A nice touch but I liked the colorful waves in the corners of the slides.

Mostly everyone on the team contributed as well to this project which is always great to see! One area to improve though is the decision making process. I think you were too wishy-washy at times changing things around, and this actually goes to Purple as well.

Both teams focused so much attention on the name of the parade, when that really doesn't matter as much as the content of the parade itself. And I think part of the trouble for Orange in particular with the name, comes back to the location itself. The theme felt like it was destined for a different location, and that might be where it came from.

All in all though - another successful round and congrats to both teams for their submissions!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
TEAM ORANGE PRESENTS:
PAINT THE WAVES

Come Paint the Waves with us!

-Team Orange Review-

Let me start by saying the visuals from top to bottom were amazing. Every piece of concept art, every reference photo, the design and formatting of the Slides, all of it. The visuals were astounding and stole the show! Also, I loved how ambitious you guys were in trying to create a truly grand and unique parade/show hybrid. For the most part, that ambition paid off. But there definitely parts where the ambition went a bit too unchecked and it started to hurt you guys. I love all of the ideas individually, but all at the same time may be a bit much. Especially considering this is in the Springs and not a park (which I'll discuss more in a minute because I do LOVE the choice of Springs).

That would be my one sentence review of this: A parade that tries to be too much for it to all co me together fully, but each element individually is incredible.

Let me start with the presentation. Absolute A+ welll done! Like I said, the visuals were great from top to bottom. One thing I saw that got me really excited was the embedded song videos in the slides. I didn't know you could do that!! The problem with it wound up being that the music didn't keep playing when I changed slides. But other than that small issue, the presentation was impeccable. You scared me with the literally eleventh hour shift from Docs to Slides, but it paid off.

As I mentioned briefly, I love you guys putting this in Springs and I love the idea of a new nighttime water parade! I have thought for a while that Springs desperately needs a nighttime show on that lake so there is something to do other than eating, drinking, and shopping considering Disney Quest and many of the other more unique entertainment options are gone. The only problem is that with Springs being a place with free admission and free parking, I don't think anything too big is feasible. And the idea of something that needs a seating area separate from all the shopping defeats the purpose of the show as something to bring people there to shop. I think if you had made it smaller scale so it could run multiple times a night or focused more on it as a show parade rather than a traditional parade would've made it more believable. I love that you chose Springs, but it feels a bit like you didn't take what Springs is into consideration.

I adore Paint the Waves as both a name and a concept! I am so glad that is the name you chose to stick with (Brief sidenote for both teams, names are important, but you both got really held up in the last day or so of working on names when both sides were working right up until the last minute. The name is rarely as important as the project itself). The use of Try Anything from Zootopia as a framing song as a spiritual successor to When Can I See You Again was brilliant!

Now for the parade itself.

I won't go float by float because it would quickly devolve into me just saying "Great art, cool concept!" over and over again lol. So, some bullet points.
  • I absolutely adore Steamboat Willie both as a float and as a way to start the parade.
  • So, first time reading through I was really confused about the Monstro reveal and exactly how that worked. You mention projecting onto bubbles or projecting bubbles. I didn't get it. BUT when I got to the section about show stops, I learned that each float has a water projection set up attached to it for the show stops. So, I'm assuming this is what you plan to use. But since that wasn't set up as something floats can do until the end of the presentation it wasn't clear.
  • Monstro reveal sounds like the kinda of grand, memorable moment that could've been better served being later on in the parade rather than right up front.
  • As a huge fan of pirates (both the concept and the ride/movies) the pirates section would be my personal favorite. BUT you have a section that is three pirate ships in a row. All different ones. But still three in a row. You have a lot of floats. A LOT of floats. I feel like one pirate ship would have been enough. Two at most.
  • That being said, the idea of pirate ships battling one the water as a part of a nighttime parade coupled with the concept art sounds amazingly incredibly cool!
  • Nothing to say about Polynesian float beyond being very very neat. The Stitch float might be my favorite of the parade just because of how simple yet effective the Stitch on a surfboard on a wave visual would be in a nighttime parade.
  • Not much to say about the Majestic seas either other than the picture doesn't match your description. You show an Ariel float, but the description say it is an Ursala like from Fantasia and Arile/Eric in a row boat. Feels like an easy fix to get pictures that match the description considering one of those is a real float disney used in a show before and one is an iconic scene from the movie.
  • Nothing to say about the Exploration and Mythical Seas beyond well done and I love the transition of Hercules mistaking the kraken for the hydra.
  • Alright, I know this was brought up in your thread earlier. You have Mickey in two places. That is about the biggest no no for character integrety. There is only one Mickey. Even in Fantasmic where he keeps changing costumes, it is still the same Mickey. You could maaaaaybe say that you'd never be able to see both mickey's at the same time and therefore the illusion is in tact. But from the Saratoga Spring it would be very easy to see the whole parade at once from across the lake and you have that marked as parade viewing.
  • Even beyond the character integrety of Mickey, you still have two floats based on classic Mickey Mouse shorts. Both floats are great, but at the end of the day you should pick one float to be the Mickey float because having multiples is thematically repetitive even if both floats are amazing! And they are both amazing. you guys just have a lot of floats and cutting out one or two would've helped. Especially repetitive ones like the double Mickey's or the Nautilus and the ship from Atlantis heavily inspired by the Nautilus or the three pirate ships in a row.
Over all, I loved this parade. Most of the problems were either little things or just stemming from having too much. Too many floats. Too many big moments. Too many similar floats. Bigger isn't always better.

As far as the show stops go. I love the idea! In theory. It felt tacked on. I wanted to love it and I think the idea was great. But so few of these floats felt like they would work for something like this. I feel like the show stops should have either been cut or the parade be built around it. Because a grand, beautiful fountain, projection, and drone show featuring live performers on light up floats sounds incredible! Until I start picturing Stitch endlessly bobbing up and down on a frozen wave for the whole show or Ariel and Eric in a constant state of almost kissing.

Traditional parade floats are made to be in motion, not watched as they sit still for 3 minutes while a show happens around them. And the vast majority of the floats were these traditional floats where the show stop spectacular would just be happening around them as they stay parked rather than feeling connected to them. Again, amazing concept. But the parade was clearly not build with a stopped show in mind making it feel like a very expensive afterthought rather than the standout it was envisioned as.

Overall, so many incredibly strong elements and absolutely amazing art, but there are just too many elements and things at play. Bigger doesn't always mean better. Cutting floats and elements out and focusing in on the strongest would've lead to a stronger parade and project.​

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Team Purple Presents:
Land, Sea, Sky.

Parade soundtrack here.

Parade here.

-Team Purple Review-

This team just keeps getting better and better! I honestly think this might be your best project yet as well as the best example of teamwork so far!

The team wanted to win this round and were determined to make that happen. You tried new things, created interesting things, compromised and built on each other's visions to create something truly magnificent!

The concept of a daytime parade in DAK may not be as crazy or exciting as a Disney Springs Nighttime Parade Spectacular, but I actually think DAK is the park that needs a parade the most right now and you did a great job with it.

DAK has some great streetmosphere throughout the park. But what they have is essentially all music filled dance parties, live music that encourages you to dance, or dance lessons featureing music. Not a lot of variety in DAK's streetmosphere. A parade could help at some variety to street entertainment as well as add another attraction to a park that is still just barely a full day park. It is a great location for a parade.

Your theme/story is somewhat vague, but that works for DAK. A more abstract story of nature coming together from throughout time and across the environments is perfect for DAK. And the amount of IP infusion you settled on is (with one or two exceptions) just the perfect mix for DAK. A great example of the team creating something better by working together as early drafts either felt to cartoony for DAK or too generic for Disney IMO before the amount of character was decided.

I loved the music loop! Well done! It really added something to be able to listen to that while reading. And the choices of songs was perfect. The music complementing the amazing art complementing the well written descriptions was fantastic! all the elements really came together here!

Speaking of art, fantastic art all aorund! Especially considering how many people who were doing drawing either had very little time or had never done much art before or both! Big kudos for trying things and even bigger kudos for doing amazing at the new things!

The presentation itself was not the strongest though. And that did hurt things. The slides were just good enough. The art was great, the writing was great, but the slides that held them all together were really plain. I appreciate the colored backgrounds, but the presentation from the Stitch project was probably stronger overall for the more vibrant slides. Adding more little accents to the slides or perhaps choosing a more dynamic font. Even just making the font size bigger to there is less empty space on each slide. Again, not that the presentation was bad. It just felt very basic and plain compared to what you guys have done in the past as well as compared to the content of the slides.

Like the last team, if I go float by float I will just be repeating "I like this well done" too often, so I'm gonna do bullet points.
  • I know Space already said it (and I knew him well enough to know he'd say it before he did lol) a map of the parade route would have been nice. Having lived and worked at Disney for a while, I know that Creature Comforts is the Starbucks along the path between the main entrance to pandora and the main entrance to Africa. And that the parade route you described is very similar if not identical to the one from the old Jamming Jungle Parade. Without my personal knowledge a very specific piece of DAK history and the location of the Starbucks as well as what the Starbucks is called, I'd have no context for the parade route. Maps are quick to make as a simple one and go a long way to help give readers context.
  • I love the names of these floats and I love how you use them to tell a story and make that story feel grand.
  • The sun float and the seas floats both are incredible right off the bat.
  • I have an issue with the myth float. Not because I think the concept is bad, because I think the concept is good, but my problem is Hercules. I don't think that focusing on a human (well, demigod) killing mythical beasts is the best idea for a float about mythical animals in a parade about animals living in harmony. I think it would have been stronger to either cut Hercules and just focus on the myths OR, if you want to include movie characters, go more broad with it have just mythological creatures as your characters like Mushu and Pegasus and Elliot.
  • Ice Age Float is, I think, in the wrong place. The ice age comes after dinosaurs in history. And the music for the ice age comes after the music for dinosaurs in the music video. But ice age comes first in the write up. I'm assuming this was just a mistake in putting it together. this is why it is good to try to have things done or at least a rough draft done early. So, mistakes like this can be caught.
  • That being said,the Ice Age float looks fantastic and the triple tiered design of the float in the concept art really caught my eye.
  • Of course, gotta love the visual shoutout to Rite of Spring/Universe of Energy with the T-Rex vs. Stegasaurus. Or, just noticed, triceratops on the parade. I'm gonna assume this is still meant as a reference even if the dino is different. If it wasn't a reference, it is still an extremely cool scene. Especially at the base of the volcano.
  • Naming this float Rawr (which for those of you not born in the very specific time frame of 1994-1997 roughly translates from Dinosaur to human as "I Love you") was defintiely a fun move. I'm a bit torn as it kinda undercuts the more grand, serious tone of most of the float titles as you try to tell as story. But at the same time, parades are meant to be fun, and that name was a fun move. So, I think the negative aspects of it are about equally balanced by the positive aspects.
  • I'll admit, I was skeptical of the two modern day floats and combing continents on the same float. BUT the visuals and the writing and the divisions you used made it work for me. Still not sure if it was the best option for you guys, but it defintely works the way you did it.
  • I don't really have anything to say about the last three floats beyond much I like them. Feels like a lot of bright, colorful visuals and a good message to end on
Overall a very good parade and I love it! Most of your problems stem from this feeling very rushed for the final presentation. A lost of small mistakes that start to add up and could have been very easily fixed. It was lacking polish. But the art was great, the writing was clear and entertaining, and the music was used perfectly to add to the experience.

There was still some communication issues in the last few days. There was multiple times where Pixie was asking about who was writing things and there would be either no response or vague response. If Pixie was missing that you either already had written something you said, tell her you siad that. If you are doing art, but not writing and Pixie keeps asking about writing, make sure it is clear to your team that you are doing art and not writing. And Pixie, there were a few times during the week you asked questions that had already been answered.

If someone on your team seems confused and unsure, it is never a bad idea to remind them what you have done and are doing. In team projects, the most helpful thing is always be very clear about what you are doing and who is doing what so that when it gets to the last night youaren't rushing to finish things again. If you are just doing one part of section, make sure your team know so that they can do the other part. If you are unclear about what someone else is doing, ask them. Point blank ask them exactly what they are working on so you know what to be working on.

This was a great project. A truly great project. But most of the problems could have been solved with a bit more time. And I feel like with more clarity and better communication you would have had that more time to turn this from a great project to a dang near perfect one.

Over all, you did an incredible job bringing together, art, music, and writing to create an incredible parade. Perhaps not the most outside the box in idea or execution, but that isn't a problem if it is as well done as your parade was. Just make sure to work on the polish and clearing up the simple mistakes.​

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Totally my fault for not matching the Little Mermaid float to the concept art. I was in a rush and was just going off of the first ideas for floats that popped into my head. In hindsight not the best way to handle things. ;)
lol minor issue that happens to everyone. It just kinda made me laugh more than anything

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Team Orange had, by far, the more ambitious and exciting idea. But in the end, that ambition wound up hurting the project by becoming too big to support its own its weight. Team Purple had some issues with their presentation, but with a simpler concept coupled with excellent execution and use of multimedia helped make up for these mistakes. So, the winner of Scene 5 is...
purple trophy.png

Team Purple Wins!

At the end of the second half Team purple has 2 wins against Team Orange's 3. A very close match up. Let's see how a new act and some switched up teams affects things going forward!​

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
1540103360445.png

--The Set Up--

The Western River Expedition is perhaps the most famous never built attraction in disney history.

1540103383838.png

When Magic Kingdom was being designed, Pirates of the Caribbean was not meant to be a part of it. Instead, the concept of a slow moving boat ride filled with animatronics telling the story of a group of lovable rogues ransacking a town and singing a song was going to be taken and used with a cowboy theme rather than a pirate theme.

The Pirates of the Caribbean was a hit attraction, so imagineers knew people coming to Disney World would want an experience like it, but with how close Florida is to the actual Caribbean, they were worried Pirates wouldn’t be exciting. So, cowboys were chosen as the theme. However, when Magic Kingdom opened in 1971, guests were upset at the lack of Pirates of the Caribbean and wanted the chance to ride it. So, Western River Expedition was cut in favor of Pirate of the Caribbean and the cowboys never saw the light of day.

Put simply, Western River Expedition was meant as a substitute attraction. It was meant to fill the same role with the same basic concept as Pirates but with a new theme.

The same concept of substitute attractions can be seen to this very day with Mystic Manor and Big Grizzly Runaway Mine Cars in Hong Kong and Tron Lightcycle Power Run in Shanghai being used to fill the same roles in their respective parks with the same basic concept as Haunted Mansion, Thunder Mountain, and Space Mountain but with new themes.

--The Challenge--

Imagineers, this is your challenge.

You must each create a new substitute attraction in Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom sometime in between opening day (October 1st, 1971) and the fifth anniversary (October 1st, 1976).

You may replace any of the real life opening day attractions or reshape parts of the park how you would like. You could even build an entire land (Or replace a real life land) around your attraction, but the attraction will be the focus of the reviews.

Your attraction can be a substitute for any attraction that existed at Disneyland in 1955. And you can use any IP that existed before 1976 or go without an IP.

This Scene is due Friday, 10/26 at
11:59 PM WDW Time (8:59 Disneyland Time)

You have 6 days to complete this project.

--One for All: Individual Based Project--

This Scene will be a One for All: Individual Based Project. There will be this one prompt that all players will have to submit their own individual projects for. Team brainstorming threads will still be sent out for this round and players are encouraged to help each other and brainstorm and talk about the project with their team!

Remember!

If someone on your team does not submit, it won't affect the team score.

If you do not submit. You may be eliminated.

--Reward Round--

At the end of this round, the winning team will get a reward! It will be a small advantage for Scene 7.
Since this is a reward round, no one will be eliminated.

--Team Captains--

With this being an individual based round, there will be no team captains.

1540103749846.png

Alright, teams. Have fun! Go Create! Dream Big!​

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
My head hurts from the mental gymnastics were going to have to go through to get the dates right, haha. Great idea for a project!
Haha I had a feeling you'd like this prompt! You don't have to worry too much about exactly accurate dates. Especially with the Disneyland side as I am far from an expert on Disneyland in the 50s,60s, and 70s lol

spacemt354

Chili's
I won't have time to review each individual project over the weekend (sorry, told Pi that but just letting everyone know). However seeing as I have a quick break now and Doug already posted I'll offer some feedback!

Mythic River Boats
While obviously hurried out before you leave (again?) I must say either intentionally or inadvertantly I think this would completely redefine what a 'fantasyland' is for decades to come. Rather than a renaissance style decor, Fantasylands with this boat ride could have expanded and built into Ancient Europe as well, taking on Fantasy myths and legends like seen in the boat ride. That could have opened up a plethora of new options and maybe in the future transformed the castle icons into more mythical icons like Olympus or things like that. Out of the attraction, that potential is what I took away from it the most.

As always the diction and flow is great, not as transcending as some of your past projects, but it gets the job done well. I do wish MK had the Storybookland Canal boats, however back in the 70s they did have the Plaza Swan boats which may or may not have been WDW's version of that type of slow moving attraction. If you had some more time I would actually like to have seen your concept sketches for this as it reminds me of your Fantasia boat ride sketch from SA4 and that was one of the greatest pieces of concept art I've ever seen!

Overall, kudos for getting it out early and hope you landed safely wherever you are (I'm going to guess Thailand because I feel like you mentioned that before) enjoy!

D Hulk

Overall, kudos for getting it out early and hope you landed safely wherever you are (I'm going to guess Thailand because I feel like you mentioned that before) enjoy!
This was a neat thing to see at this precise moment. Thanks for the feeeback!

It’s 1:35 AM in Thailand and I’m just settling in at my hostel - picture a budget version of those Tokyo capsule hotels. Bangkok is humid and it smells like Thai food. :hungry:

Evilgidgit

Team Purple
Bedknobs & Broomsticks: Enchanted Travels

Bedknobs & Broomsticks: Enchanted Travels is a new substitute attraction to replace Snow White’s Adventures in the Magic Kingdom, due to “open” in 1973, two years after Bedknobs & Broomsticks opened. The new attraction would be a dark ride, and would take great liberties with the film’s plot for the sake of pacing and timing, for example, Charlie, Carrie, and Paul are cut from the ride, and most songs are kept to melodic, atmospheric music.

The exterior and facade of the ride resembles a medieval castle’s gatehouse made of grey stone, with the flag of the United Kingdom blowing in the wind above it. Guests enter through the stone gateway into the loading area, resembling the British countryside village of Pepperinge Eye, set in 1940. The village is based on Corfe Castle, Dorset, where part of the film was actually shot, so the facade would take architectural inspiration from Corfe’s medieval cottages and scenery.

corfe-castle-06.jpg

A matte painting of the village’s castle is at the back of the loading area. A wooden signpost stands on a hill, with the directions painted out. A British Army truck sits beside it, with a wireless playing music and news reels. Scores of “Step in the Right Direction”, “Age of Not Believing”, and “The Old Home Guard” play.

The ride’s vehicles resemble the titular magic bed, with gold posts and shaped with two rows for room for six people to board. The seats are soft enough to feel like the guests are sitting on actual mattresses. The bed’s wheels are hidden under long drapes, creating the illusion that the beds are flying/floating.

bedknobs_11.jpg

The vehicle leaves the loading bay, circling the village’s war memorial, and passes by Ms. Hobday’s post office. As we swing around to enter the doors of Miss Price’s house, we see Miss Price has parked her unusual motorbike, reading aloud a notice informing her that Professor Browne’s Correspondents College of Witchcraft has closed due to the war, and she will neither receive refunds or the final spell on the course.

We then head on through the doors into the ride, noticing Cosmic Creepers, Miss Price’s black cat, watching from the window above.

Passing through the doors takes us quickly through Miss Price’s house. We pass by a shelf of potions and strange jars, including the infamous “Poison Dragon Live” ingredient. To the right is Miss Price in her workshop, deciding she must travel to London to find Mr. Browne and the spell. She uses magic to make the titular bedknob glow a bright pink, enchanting it with the “World Famous Travelling Spell”. Cosmic Creepers perches on a pile of books, letting out an unimpressed meow.

bedknobs-a-step-vi728014361.jpg

We whizz around the corner and around a bend into a magical but brief sequence as the magical bed flies to London. Light and projections on the wall create the illusion we are flying at high speed cross country on the bed, as “The Age of Not Believing”’s musical score plays. We then fly through a pair of door and into the streets of London.

In the next scene, we pass by a sign that reads Portobello Road, as that sequence’s song plays. Mr. Browne poses before us to the left as we enter through the doors, sparks flying out of his gloves as he entertains an unseen crowd. Miss Price emerges from the shadows to the right, and they have this conversation which carries throughout the scene.

Davd-Tomlinson-Bedknobs-and-Broomsticks-1180w-600h-e1442359912689-780x440.jpg

Miss Price: “You are Professor Browne? I am one of your students.”
Mr. Browne: “Dear lady, if you are looking for a refund, you won’t find it.”
Miss Price: “But, I must have the final spell from the course. Now, listen here, Professor!”
Mr. Browne: “I’m all ears.”
Miss Price: “You will me in a moment!”

We go around a corner, weaving through cobblestone streets and high walls, showing Miss Price and Mr. Browne together. Miss Price is consulting a notebook, and points at Mr. Browne. She shouts an incantation, and with the power of Pepper’s Ghost, Mr. Browne transforms into a white rabbit and back again.

The conversation continues around us as we leave the scene.

Mr. Browne: “What the devil was that? The spells work? They were just nonsense words out of an old book.”
Miss Price: “A book, you say? Where is it?”
Mr. Browne: “It is called the Spells of Astaroth, but the last pages are missing. Now you know why I had to close the college.”
Miss Price: “Where can we find the spell then?”
Mr. Browne: “If it does exist, there’s only one place we’re going to find it.”
Miss Price: “Where’s that?”
Mr. Browne: “The Isle of Naboombu!”

We head for another set of double doors, these ones painted with the Isle of Naboombu. We fly though them, accompanied by a loud splashing sound, and sprayed with a small amount of water, creating the impression the bed has landed in the island’s lagoon, leading to the major “Beautiful Briny Sea” set piece.

DI-Bedknobs-and-Broomsticks-1.jpg

About as big and detailed as the Under the Sea sequence from Ariel’s Undersea Adventure. Shimmering lights and filters are shone on the ceiling to create the illusion of being underwater, with coral reefs and aquatic-coloured rocks covered the ceiling and walls, along with painted backgrounds to make the lagoon appear vast and beautiful. Miss Price and Mr. Browne sing “Beautiful Briny Sea” as we swim through the lagoon.

Mr. Cod welcomes us as we swim by, and we see an octopus, a flounder, and a cod playing cards on the opposite side. We travel through the hull shipwreck into the Beautiful Briny Ballroom, where fish couples dance here and there. A musical band give us a swinging performance, a pair of lobsters do the cha-cha, electric eels do a bizarre dance where their linked bodies cause minor strobing effects, and several more fish couples dance in circles.
Bedknobs-and-Broomsticks-bedknobs-and-broomsticks-32846154-480-268.jpg

Miss Price and Mr. Browne descend upon the dance and spin elegantly around and above the bed as it passes by. An enormous fishing hook suddenly descends from the ceiling, and clever lighting makes it look like we are being lifted to the surface. We then travel through a pair of doors, with a sign reading “To the land part!”

Behold, we have reached the sunny beaches of the Isle of Naboombu, finding the Sea Captain Bear has reeled us in, but is horrified to see “people”. He holds Mr. Browne in his grip, telling him that the King “don’t like people!” and should throw them back in the lagoon. There’s also a sign that reads “No peopling allowed!” A resilient Miss Price tells the bear that they have an important matter to discuss with the King. The bear points them and us in the right direction, warning them that the King has a vicious temper.

bedknobs_811_426_81_s.jpg

The bed travels through a pair of red velvet curtains, which part to reveal the throne room of King Leonidas. The Secretary Bird asks Mr. Browne if he knows how to play soccer, and asks for his help to please the King. We travel to the end of the room, finding the grinning King, in his throne, welcoming us and thanking Browne for volunteering as referee. Miss Price compliments the medallion he is wearing around his neck - the Star of Astaroth.

latest

film-club-bedknobs-and-broomsticks.jpg

The King shouts for the soccer match to begin, as we exit the throne room and out onto a football pitch. Various animal soccer players, mostly static figures, in opposing yellow and blue uniforms, are playing the game according to their own mad rules. Mr. Browne lies on the ground, with the vulture medics watching over him The ostrict spins on one foot, the ball clutched in his other, upheld leg. The opposing crocodile and hyena gun for the foolish bird, ordering him to toss the ball. A shadow of a ball flies by as we go past. The King wheels a warthog around in a loop (think POTC), the ball caught between his tusks.

We then see the ball fly by again, and has landed on the rhinoceros’ horn, pierced and flattened. The King is not happy and angrily roars, his immense voice blowing the bed away down the hall, and right out of the animated world, back into Miss Price’s house. At the end, before we turn a corner, Miss Price stands triumphantly with the Star of Astaroth (in the film, the star is left on the island, but stays with Miss Price for the ride’s sake).

As we turn the corner, Miss Price recites the spell for Substitutiary Locomotion, leading to both the song, and her attic turning into a madhouse as clothes spring to life. But, at the end of the room is a dark, ominous sight - a window outside overlooks the coast - where a German submarine lurks in the moonlight.

6dfbebbd62df0ffb63513165dd313dd4.jpg

Miss Price’s silhouette flies by to our right, now on a broomstick, performing the spell once again. The bed flies out a window to ground level. We hear the loud stomps of marching armour, as we venture into the final battle, as an army of medieval knights appear to fight the invading Germans. We fly through the battle, as an executioner nearly takes a swing at us. Miss Price flies overhead on her broomstick, proclaiming victory over the Germans as they flee back to their sub.

But, the Germans have one last trick up their sleeve. They blow up Miss Price’s workshop, as indicated via strobe lights. As we travel into the unload area, a new smaller extra scene has been added in whilst guests leave, with Miss Price and Mr. Browne standing amongst the ruins of the workshop. Miss Price decides she shall retire from witchcraft, but decides that she has made a small contribution to the good fight - “After all, it’s a step in the right direction”. Guests then unload and depart the show building, but they may spot Cosmic Creepers watching from within a window as they leave.

One more thing - Snow White's Adventure from WDW circa 1971 for reference. I did consider editing this image with the B&B layout, but decided against it for the sake of my own sanity.

SWA71.png

Last edited:

AceAstro

Team Orange

When the Magic Kingdom first opened in 1971, Disney heard two main complaints from guests: The lack of Pirates of the Caribbean, and the lack of a roller coaster. The fix for Pirates of the Caribbean was easy, the fix for a coaster, not as easy.

At this time, Disneyland had one, fairly popular roller coaster: The Matterhorn.

vxIuwZ05H-pJFRD6QUFXey7C2TXl_vPLtEaolSUyjXhGyP-WjdnZISkDo3BJbkLIkmo2IItTxcmdN4vIPJB9eqFxL-CvlXPnF06nri3A6sO7hUgjPrXTCoFNGSEsbChUzbB625ui

But Disney didn’t want to just take a direct clone of the Matterhorn over. Most, if not all, of the attractions “cloned” over, had their own variations (20,000 leagues with being the Nautilus, Jungle Cruise going through a temple, Snow White’s Scary Adventure being MUCH scarier, etc.). Because of this, they needed to find a NEW theme to go with.

With Pirates of the Caribbean was already being built in Adventureland, it made sense to build the new mountain coaster there as an early Adventureland Expansion. With that, I present to you…

Huayna Mountain

In Huayna Mountain, guests are searching deep within the mountain (and area) for any “lost” Incan treasure - the Treasure of the Pachacuti. Unfortunately, not everything goes to plan and guests have to weave their way in and out of the mountain to try and reach safety.

51XiX-QUpqwovqzvTs9qmvWXWnZlWOXY0wj7IlY7rro3mJhODXn4TLE7NWQiNl7ZeydrxhFiAae3bLnPk2LmBGaQ5TQKuUkTW1Bsscf6_pXWp2B7TebjCdAVwruvZUwsRFPzQeIu

Huayna Mountain is based on the very famous Huayna Picchu Mountain that is seen in the many backdrops of Machu Picchu. This mountain is steep with a flatter summit, perfect for a Matterhorn recreation.

The location of the mountain (and queue) will be located in the area between the Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Caribbean and continue under the train tracks (more on that later) to the Adventureland expansion pad.

dKpeI9lylwB6adppA_SL6fTlossLI_S2fcs2al6h9owqUR7r0yXMXXYMkxQl_ZkFRrr7pdXdO1iiJh8f44CYXPXYPm2ugidBId812Q9YxoHjXWaNqrXReBGfRJaCn62Eo3MPacXH

Green area showcases entrance from Adventureland back to expansion pad
QWNJkseuUY-kbYcK3-TrbvC1AtTawe2i25HYTuLJdEgrwAUx__pD87iJ5OJHFnJ37XPS5ACz5Q15_SMtWOOmSSGvcP38Pl2ikiOwkhCEghPTzGBRvrMdZdioaXdyYIpkulwvo5SK

More recent picture of how it looks - still taking up the same area

Queue

Heading towards the attraction, guests can look to their left and see the Jungle Cruise attraction where the skippers can choose to go with their regular spiel on their lefts, or has the ability to have fun with the guests on their right (an early test of this idea that would then be used again in Disneyland in 1995 for the Indiana Jones Adventure).

One tricky problem with this expansion is getting guests over to the mountain while getting under the train tracks. Making a play on the successful technology used for the Haunted Mansion, guests climb into a “Mine Shaft Elevator”. Here, guests will go down approximately a story to clear under the train tracks. However, while the elevator moves down one floor, the exterior rock walls will move up to give a feel that guests are moving faster, and deeper down.

Upon exiting the elevator, guests come out into a dark mine with torch lights on the wall. This makeshift mine looks like it was rush-built as the wooden supports along the sides of the cave are “cracking”. That being said, not far ahead, sunlight can be seen.

After exiting this mine, guests come out into an open area completely enclosed by the mountain, large rocks on a lake, and the mineshaft (entrance and exit).

Here, the queue will split into two for the two tracks (like the Matterhorn). The two queues are the same length with the left queue going past the water while the right queue goes past an old, abandoned, partially collapsed, mine shaft.

At any point after the queue split, guests can turn back around to see the train pass over the mineshaft entrance (if they are lucky on timing). This area is open to the train as the only other chance to see into this “exclusive” area.

Load

GxdHNfFr9fFsE0l3HHn9PIQuqwOwC62UP9LRrlaXBPe0MONRE9RyqYIR9U4NdRiGpBFX4_3BGpAv5UkSAzjixFL704_douT4m4GwQc0jUVGe3wH4TmI43jViPLbZWTAZ-kZN_vwt

Much like the Matterhorn, Huayna Mountain will load through a small “hut” that in this case, looks to have been roughly and quickly built to spend more time on the actual expedition.

The unloading and loading platform will be two separate platforms (again, like the Matterhorn), to unload the guests before having the loading platform hopefully maximizing hourly capacity through loading guests not having to wait for unloading guests.

Attraction Statistics

Ticket - E-Ticket
Type - Steel Tubular Coaster
FastPass+ - No
Height Restriction - 42 inches
Attraction Time - Right track: 2:05 Left track: 2:17
Wheelchair Accessibility - Must Transfer
Operational Capacity - 1,760 guests per hour
Theoretical Capacity - 1,950 guests per hour

Ride Vehicles

With the first ride vehicle updates coming to the original Matterhorn in 1978, Huayna Mountain will be the first to use their new vehicles as a “first test”. These new vehicles increase the length of them slightly to allow for lap sitting while combing the two vehicles together to allow for up to eight guests per ride vehicle.

The Ride

Huayna Mountain will feature the same track layout design of both Matterhorn tracks.

JlhG4QnxM5NYhhc0NW2Gc5cjvGViMPFuUCEqjvDQC68veFSZKa9PrPIWItBxmaD95bUQ7nV3FHJTor3zzyXLbEfmkS2dM6wl9ZljF9lPKIyq5V-p-V6F5MkmAKfjZo4ftWmU54GX

Within the mountain, much of the rockwork area will look the same. Any snow seen, will be replaced by lush greenery to match the new location.

Climbing the initial lift hill, the icy/ snowy walls will be replaced with treed projections designed to look like the outdoor queue area.

In the initial crystal/ Wells expedition/ Skyway crash area, guests can find the replacement of Incan gold/ treasure.

D39dxH4x0cca7MpcuD76npjrImQlK1kJcxk_VaYE6dOKA_DVE9bMR4SgyNlayrdPbbtuivExlNb2wDxDcHDVz6EwQi4qRSQdskVjjELkux041wwExoELXfroiMisGg6quAKu86mD

But not everyone is happy that the guests found this treasure…

dRVmkKkBuei9rgMoTRIm-NpeDir8HBMBWX3DhD_umquiBI9mL97oYL4pp3fsd8qW4tvr5YF9QrYJLTlwpiDjpOZz7hBPhKP3xP8Nm1ZBABAzrlyv0rfl0SFjPLJvOQY2mBvTHqUp

Kumar the Mummy

As Audio-Animatronics improved, more wanted to be used. While building Huyana Mountain, it made sense to add three Incan Mummies trying to attack the guests for finding the treasure. Not only would this be a new design for TWDC in Mummies, but it’d also be a test to see if guests could process what they were seeing properly. If successful, Yeti’s would be added to The Matterhorn. If unsuccessful, the Mummies would be removed from Huayna Mountain with nothing lost. Low risk, high reward.

The waterfalls and mini-lake used for the braking will be brought over here too as a classic reminder of a crazy idea that is still effectively used.

Video of a ride through:

Imagine all the snow areas as grassy areas - couldn’t effectively overlay it

Updated Magic Kingdom Map

sLGUSSYu0LWEbkJybGCuyKAqjFDA1IoHWcR40iYDBlAgM2hJU8gFgt5KFxvkWi1NT6mVdfrQSmCLwW24ZR--0MYnicPe-JjfdTHwDxXqpmts3qQEf9zcwgEYabo0pPVdpv2JDjhM

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom