On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

JoeCamel

Simple: they are there just to lengthen the trips of out of town travelers - particularly internationals - and don’t really make much.

It’s an easy place for them to straight up save operational costs.

A lot of the lifeguarding staff isn’t there with the IP/CPs out as well.

Waterparks aren’t coming back anytime soon.
Volcano Bay hit phase 2 capacity over the weekend

lewisc

I personally would consider NRJ a C ticket that fits perfectly in the land and does a great job enhancing the experience, but I know a lot of people dislike it. I also suppose it may be a D rather than a C.
The meaning of E tickets has evolved. Hall of Presidents, IASW, Pirates and even Tiki (different name) were all E tickets for at least a year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Volcano Bay hit phase 2 capacity over the weekend
And?

Volcano bay is a different market/draw than the Disney waterparks. They built 3 hotels around it.

And universal is overall a more local friendly spot.

I’m just telling you what the waterparks are (I worked with a former gm of blizzard)...you judge it how you see it.

bcoachable

Couldn’t agree more.

I won’t say universal is a “better” overall time...but it’s way better than disneyphiles will tolerate being said. The main problem with URO is that the food and hotels are vastly inferior...there a big strength of wdw still over it (even if they are sliding back there as well)

But there are other places that provide very nice experiences not run by Disney.

First...the most “pure disney” spot is Anaheim now...the nickel and dining plan diming in Orlando puts a stink on it.

Beyond that...

Busch parks are well maintained and provide quality and variety.
It’s a shame sea world has gotten all the bad PR...they are great parks lead by Orlando.

Cedar fairs parks are well run and well appointed. They have been managed well. They are not six flags.

There are other regionals that are more than worthy of time...Hershey and Dollywood come to mind.

I feel like the shade thrown by Disney fans are because they never go anywhere else...or predetermine the parks are inferior before setting foot in them.

You know where else that’s a thing? Disney cruise line...lauded over and over again as “the best”....

When said by those that won’t go on others or make the carnival 1992 comparisons.

They also don’t notice that the service of celebrity ships and the sheer amenities of the RCL oasis and quantum class ships put Disney’s to shame...for less.

Pay no attention to the rodent behind the curtain.
Quoted to Express my disappointment hat you didn’t mention my personal favorite- Steal your dollar city... theme park with a cave tour??!! Take my money!!

lewisc

Couldn’t agree more.

I won’t say universal is a “better” overall time...but it’s way better than disneyphiles will tolerate being said. The main problem with URO is that the food and hotels are vastly inferior...there a big strength of wdw still over it (even if they are sliding back there as well)
I think the Universal Hotels, dollar for dollar, are far superior to Disney.

Food at Universal varies more then Disney. Hotel restaurants at Universal are as good, JMO better,, then Disney. Palm is an exceptional steakhouse.

MurphyJoe

Quoted to Express my disappointment hat you didn’t mention my personal favorite- Steal your dollar city... theme park with a cave tour??!! Take my money!!

Silver Dollar City was my home park for years and a big reason I find it difficult to give Disney a pass on their stage shows, live entertainment, and festival offerings. If a regional park can switch out their live entertainment multiple times per year, along with across the park decor, then the only thing that's stopping a market leader is lack of will. And there's an attempt to keep the offerings on theme with the City too.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Silver Dollar City was my home park for years and a big reason I find it difficult to give Disney a pass on their stage shows, live entertainment, and festival offerings. If a regional park can switch out their live entertainment multiple times per year, along with across the park decor, then the only thing that's stopping a market leader is lack of will. And there's an attempt to keep the offerings on theme with the City too.
Different guests. Regional theme parks rely on passholders who might visit five to ten times in a season. Disney relies people who fly in one time every five to ten years. Huge difference.

UNCgolf

Food at Universal varies more then Disney. Hotel restaurants at Universal are as good, JMO better,, then Disney. Palm is an exceptional steakhouse.

The Universal hotels don't have nearly the same amount of theming as the best Disney hotels, which is probably the disconnect there. They feel more like standard nice hotels than anything really heavily themed outside of maybe Portofino Bay. Disney has been headed fast in that same direction with basically all of their recent builds, though. I stayed at the Royal Pacific at Universal and it was a very nice hotel -- much nicer than any of Disney's newer offerings, IMO.

The food at Universal is really just an in parks issue. The food inside the four Disney parks is light years better than what they offer in the parks at Universal -- and that's not so much praise of Disney food as an indictment on how absolutely terrible the stuff at Universal is. But it's mitigated at Universal by the fact you can just walk out the front gate of either park into CityWalk, which has several solid food options. Disney Springs has good food too (and probably better overall than CityWalk), but you can't just walk there for lunch or dinner from the theme park so it's not the same level of convenience.

Also, as you said, the price difference is huge. I think I paid roughly half as much to stay at the aforementioned Royal Pacific as I would have to stay at the Polynesian or Contemporary at WDW, and the Royal Pacific is a nicer hotel than either.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

If I stay at a Disney Resort now I get: first crack at park reservations

If I stay at Royal Pacific, Hard Rock or Portifino I get: Unlimited Universal Express to all rides but Hagrids.

Hmm, which resorts do I think are better? 🤔

Yep, forgot to mention that in my earlier post. Another very nice benefit from staying at the Royal Pacific.

Disney needs to eliminate the whole Disney Springs partner hotel benefits program and reserve all of that for Disney resorts only, at least if they want to keep giving people good reasons to stay there (there are other reasons to stay at the Disney resorts over other nearby hotels, but those reasons have been steadily declining in recent years).

the.dreamfinder

Yep, forgot to mention that in my earlier post. Another very nice benefit from staying at the Royal Pacific.

Disney needs to eliminate the whole Disney Springs partner hotel benefits program and reserve all of that for Disney resorts only, at least if they want to keep giving people good reasons to stay there (there are other reasons to stay at the Disney resorts over other nearby hotels, but those reasons have been steadily declining in recent years).
Why would Disney want to tick off resorts that pay them rent?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I was in 3 for the first time in January...not bad...and while nice, felt to convention center type to me. And the price was good...the express pass at royal pacific was good but I didn’t love the hotel.

Might not be my speed. Reminded me more of nicer Atlantic City than sunshine vacation spot.

Lilofan

If I stay at a Disney Resort now I get: first crack at park reservations

If I stay at Royal Pacific, Hard Rock or Portifino I get: Unlimited Universal Express to all rides but Hagrids.

Hmm, which resorts do I think are better? 🤔
Hard Rock hotel at Universal is awesome. The huge outdoor pool has underwater speakers playing rock and roll when you swim underwater!

wdwfan22

Couldn’t agree more.

But there are other places that provide very nice experiences not run by Disney.

First...the most “pure disney” spot is Anaheim now...the nickel and dining plan diming in Orlando puts a stink on it.

Beyond that...

Busch parks are well maintained and provide quality and variety.
It’s a shame sea world has gotten all the bad PR...they are great parks lead by Orlando.

Cedar fairs parks are well run and well appointed. They have been managed well. They are not six flags.

There are other regionals that are more than worthy of time...Hershey and Dollywood come to mind.

I feel like the shade thrown by Disney fans are because they never go anywhere else...or predetermine the parks are inferior before setting foot in them.

You know where else that’s a thing? Disney cruise line...lauded over and over again as “the best”....

When said by those that won’t go on others or make the carnival 1992 comparisons.

They also don’t notice that the service of celebrity ships and the sheer amenities of the RCL oasis and quantum class ships put Disney’s to shame...for less.

Pay no attention to the rodent behind the curtain.

Regional parks such as Dollywood, Bush Gardens and Sea World are a good time. I only see shade being thrown when someone states they are on the same level as a Disney Park. There isn't a regional park out there that is on the same level as Disney. If they were they would be priced the same as Disney. They can not offer the level of theming or experience that Disney does. However I still enjoy visiting, it's just a different experience.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Regional parks such as Dollywood, Bush Gardens and Sea World are a good time. I only see shade being thrown when someone states they are on the same level as a Disney Park. There isn't a regional park out there that is on the same level as Disney. If they were they would be priced the same as Disney. They can not offer the level of theming or experience that Disney does. However I still enjoy visiting, it's just a different experience.
You need to look a little deeper...the Disney only crowd (trip reporters 🙄) infer that any suggestion other options are worthwhile are silly. When in fact to suggest that is the height of immaturity.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oddly enough Flight of Passage was once intended to be the in between
That binder will collect dust for a century at WDI

...silly Artists 😉
You're confusing the relationship between price and quality (class) at Disney. Disney discovered they could charge 5* + pricing at the GF without staffing to offer the 5* experience offered at resorts like 4 Seasons and the Waldorf.

The GF is themed to resemble a 5* hotel
That! Over the years I have seen how the service and fittings just don't live up to a real 5 star hotel experience.

IT is themed as a five star and playing a role.

I just got that and it explains why it isn't really a five star.
I think it was much closer to being an actual 5 star 25 years ago than it is now. I still don't think it reached that level, but it was a nicer experience.
AAAA - the hell - Men! To these! 👍🏻

UNCgolf

Why would Disney want to tick off resorts that pay them rent?

I didn't mean from a business perspective. I meant from a customer perspective.

With that said, Disney may eventually drive more and more customers away from their resorts to the Disney Springs partners, and I doubt the rent they get is equal to having their own resorts fully booked.

brb1006

Journey Into Imagination...Ehh, Figment is still Figment,
First of all, the current Figment is a completely different character compared to his original personality (charming, curious, and fun loving)!

This is the Figment we know and love!
a80a3bfd0cd6c2a634925937c071038b.jpg

900w-600h_102717_fanniversary-figment-art-8.jpg

This Figment is an imposter! #NotMyFigment
smell-area.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

90ef75b8018080c70db0e1afcdba3599.jpg

There's a reason why a lot of us prefer the original version over the botched version that's still running. Videos don't do the original attraction justice unless you been there during the 80s and 90s.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom