On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Closing the parks would be bad for all Cast..... the health dept is what is driving half of Disney's issues right now and they , the health authorities, will not be missing any income based upon their decisions that could hurt businesses. They will get paid no matter what happens. "If it saves just one life" is the primary objective not saving jobs or business. Just making an observation.....
Right now if this thing isn’t contained at the very least, this time next year there might not be a lot of businesses left. Be it through strict, enforced rules, vaccine or a combination. A dire prediction yes, and one I truly hope doesn’t come to fruition. I have plenty of cast as friends who I’d hope can get though this. Florida, the US, the world needs to get its act together. Some are doing better than others.

Last edited:

YodaMan

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but Universal is virtually turning a day ticket into an AP that lasts through 2020.

Maybe I’m missing something, but how is this a deal?

This ticket is $164 to go to either park for 5 months, and there’s no discounts on merch or parking.

An annual pass without parking is $269.99 for 15 months.

I’d rather stick with any of the annual pass options, tbh.

brb1006

You know what annoyed me on some of those old videos? The “fake” character voices they dubbed in on some segments
Could had been worse, I remember some older VHS commercials for Pinocchio had the titular character voiced by an unknown actress or child. I think those commercials were shown on some Disney World TV stations back in the 90s.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
They're stuck a bit from launching big deals and offers to come down to WDW currently. Luring people from out of state given the current health situation would look awful and potentially open them up to liability if people begin catching it there (I realize that is debatable). If this continues to spiral and 6 months from now people look back at Disney's incredible offers and ads that brought people into the hot zone it would be very bad for their image and everything that spirals from that. Universal offering a deal to people already in the hot zone is one thing but I doubt they can do much to attract people on a wider scale without looking terrible.

It would be very interesting to have a breakdown of Florida residents vs out-of-state visitors in the daily attendance. I'm also curious what another shutdown would do to DVC contracts and point totals. How flexible will Disney be if this draws out for a long time?
This makes a lot of sense.

brb1006

I went to Epcot and Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios when in 2002/2003. They were offering veterans a deep discount to get them and their families in the park. I had many fond memories. Mission Space was brand new and we actually liked it. Disney advertised the heck out of Philharmagic for some reason
This commercial shown on WDW TV at the various Walt Disney World Resorts and some stations in Florida comes to mind.

lewisc

I'm also curious what another shutdown would do to DVC contracts and point totals. How flexible will Disney be if this draws out for a long time?
I don't think Disney will close DVC resorts, unless ordered to do so by the government. That's not to say the parks will stay open. DVC owners may wind up with a resort only stay, or if we believe the rumors posted, a stay with limited park access.

disneygeek90

Maybe I’m missing something, but how is this a deal?

This ticket is $164 to go to either park for 5 months, and there’s no discounts on merch or parking.

An annual pass without parking is $269.99 for 15 months.

I’d rather stick with any of the annual pass options, tbh.
You’re right, it’s not as good as an AP but I think they’re looking to this to help to give them a bit of a boost through the rest of the year. $164 for 5 months is probably tempting for Florida residents that were on the fence about visiting.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would say that's true of most fish, but fried seafood (and probably crab legs) is an exception. Calabash got famous by frying up flounder and shrimp almost fast food style.
Did you see me say my grandparents lived in calabash??

That’s exactly what i was talking about when i said I don’t want a vat of it on a buffet 🤮

UNCgolf

Did you see me say my grandparents lived in calabash??

That’s exactly what i was talking about when i said I don’t want a vat of it on a buffet 🤮

Hah, I did not. But my family has a house at Ocean Isle so I've been to Calabash many, many times.

Of course, the remaining old, original Calabash restaurants aren't buffets (there are a ton of self-labeled "Calabash style" buffets in Myrtle Beach, though -- you couldn't pay me to eat at any of those). You get your food quickly, but it's not sitting out under heat lamps waiting for people to grab. Seafood should never be on a buffet except maybe crab legs.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There is a saying

Those who can, do, those who can't, teach..
Doesn't really apply in this case, as teachers - the profession - require licensing and a professional background that most CM's lack.
I used to laugh at that saying as much as the next guy...

That’s over now. We are frankly asking far too much of our teachers effective now...that wasn’t always the case prior.

The reason?

Idiots that make bad decisions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hah, I did not. But my family has a house at Ocean Isle so I've been to Calabash many, many times.

Of course, the remaining old, original Calabash restaurants aren't buffets (there are a ton of self-labeled "Calabash style" buffets in Myrtle Beach, though). You get your food quickly, but it's not sitting out under heat lamps waiting for people to grab. Seafood should never be on a buffet except maybe crab legs.
I remember them well.

To be fair...I didn’t like seafood then. And never really had access to good seafood to develop a taste.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Between Iger who have up his CEO role and it went to Chapek, Iger is supposed to leave at the end of 2021 which is the end of his contract. It would not surprise if he departs much earlier than that.
Iger broke his contract in February. He can do whatever he wants now. He’s basically a “consultant”

UNCgolf

I remember them well.

To be fair...I didn’t like seafood then. And never really had access to good seafood to develop a taste.

They're not anything special. It's pretty easy to make flounder and shrimp taste okay when fried with seasoning, so it's fine in a pinch, but doing it essentially as an assembly line isn't going to be conducive to great food (as you mentioned). I think I've eaten fried flounder from one of the Calabash restaurants only two or three times total in the past 10-15 years. Much better food available in the area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom