On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

_caleb

Serious question. What’s the point of insiders sharing information on the forums? What’s their benefit in doing so?
There have been quite a few "bombshell" gossip threads recently though from other posters. Edit: In the WDW Subforums. I didn't realize this was under the DLR subforums and I don't typically follow these.

I discussed this in one of them. I'm not claiming to be anyone important, but I have been a member of this site for almost 20 years, and in that time I've noticed the following recurring pattern: (also has it really been a year? I thought that expose happened in December!)

- Things are quiet for a while, public opinion and confidence of TWDC seems stable.
- "Bombshell" gossip thread drops, from alleged "insiders" to shake things up, insinuate "actually, things are bad behind the scenes". These always have a similar tone and writing style (lots of snark and sass, for example), and always come with a heavy dose of their signature brand of Doom & Gloom.
- Other alleged insiders come out of the woodwork to agree, call out the others by name, add in their own gossip. Peculiar that they all come "out of retirement" at the same time.
- The community erupts in panic, accusations, convinced the worst is going to happen.
- Some time later, TWDC "corrects course". The end result is NEVER as bad as the gossip implies.

This recurring pattern certainly makes the accusations of that expose thread believable, even if the names and people it threw out are wrong (for instance, it really doesn't seem like TP2000 is who they think it is). I'm also not calling out any names in particular, especially not any members that are always here. There's a stark difference between them and all those who appear at the same time and give each other virtual handshakes. "Looks like the whole gang's here!"

I think it's obvious to everyone that companies engage with their customers/fanbases, etc. through social media for feedback. I typically assume that any new thread that essentially asks "what do you guys think of _____?" from an unknown poster is possibly someone from Disney gathering data. But forums such as this can be used both to gather data on public opinion and sway public opinion. What's less obvious to some is that TWDC is in a unique and privileged position where its brand loyalty is so strong that they could, in theory, intentionally leak gossip and information that makes them look bad internally and actually receive a positive outcome from it. There's also no doubt in my mind that the inner workings of executive level TWDC are so cutthroat that they would use tools like this to throw others under the bus. This is, after all, the corporate culture of TWDC from the top all the way down.

Another thing to consider is that any poster who hasn't at least established themselves as an "insider" can easily appear as one if they follow the rumors and gossip closely enough and write in a creative way that suggests insider information but is really just re-wording what's already being discussed in a more "official" way.

Heppenheimer

Not really. Why people ever use whiz over American or Provolone is beyond me.
More for texture than for taste. And at some places, whiz is the only option for "with".

If Wawa migrated to Florida, perhaps the right kind of bread could be available for a cheesesteak stand at Disney Springs.

MurphyJoe

Fake insiders or fake leakers enjoy the 15 minutes of people talking about the made up crap as if it were real.

I wonder how true that is? As it doesn't seem like it'd be 15 minutes of enjoyment from mentioning sources are saying Universal is in discussions to build a boutique theme park at Bonnet Creek.

carolina_yankee

More for texture than for taste. And at some places, whiz is the only option for "with".

If Wawa migrated to Florida, perhaps the right kind of bread could be available for a cheesesteak stand at Disney Springs.

i have friends who wouldn’t move to Florida if there wasn’t a Wawa.

C0669ECC-5BFF-48A4-8976-0CDC550911DE.jpeg

Brer Oswald

I wonder how true that is? As it doesn't seem like it'd be 15 minutes of enjoyment from mentioning sources are saying Universal is in discussions to build a boutique theme park at Bonnet Creek.
I’m basing this off of fake leaks in the video game community. I know a few people who have constructed fake information that gets passed off as credible. Notable people make videos on it, and the fake insiders enjoy the attention.

giantgolfer

“Whiz wit” means with onions. “Whiz witout” means Whiz without onions.

The “wit” or “witout” references the onions, not the cheese.

Ldno

Fake insiders or fake leakers enjoy the 15 minutes of people talking about the made up crap as if it were real.
This was proven true with the Star Wars movie leaks, a lot of them wanted their 15 minutes of fame, as a matter of fact some youtube channels dedicated and were full of pride with it leak/informer, next thing they got debunked on purpose, the whole intent was to discredit them. I take all rumors with a grain of salt and nothing for granted anywhere, the pattern I see, some well known member here gets a leak, next thing you know a youtube source makes A video of it, some speculate, it’s all for views, likes/subs, it’s all entertainment.

MerlinTheGoat

The more widely-circulated Star Wars movie leaks actually turned out correct. The plot layouts for Both 7 and 9 were known long before the movies released. There were a few fake ones, but the legit ones had a lot of verification backing them up. There were a few minor changes with 9's leaks due to the reshoots, though this mostly only slightly affected the order of some scenes and a Kylo Ren scene near the end. The basic plot layout remained largely consistent with the leaks though. They did better at keeping Last Jedi's plot secret. That didn't accurately leak until shortly before release IIRC. There were plenty of fake ones, but there was no real consistency across them and everyone was pretty skeptical due to non-verified inconsistent sourcing.

The Star Wars Leaks subreddit is generally a good source for credible rumors about the franchise. Youtube is not, and everyone knows to avoid it unless they're just directly copying credible rumors off the leaks subreddit. There's a group of prominent youtube clickbaiters who constantly post nothing but easily proved wrong BS about the franchise. I've already mentioned people like ClownfishTV, Yellowflash, The Quartering etc earlier in this thread (though their content isn't exclusive to Star Wars). There are plenty of others as well.

The biggest Star Wars BSer out there is definitely Mike Zeroh. He's so full of crap that I could make a career as a credible insider simply by saying the opposite of whatever he does. Not a month has gone by over the past two years where he hasn't posted multiple videos claiming that Kathleen Kennedy has been fired. He makes 25-30 videos a week about fake Star Wars news. Much of it provably wrong from the start. His favorite piece of fake news for the past few months has been a Mace Windu show he pulled out of his rear but claims is in development. He makes a decent living off this scam. He has a continually growing subscriber count. Over 234,000 subs currently with many videos getting tens of thousands of views per day (a couple from the past week have even gotten 100,000-200,000 views).

The people posting rumors on this board at the very least aren't doing so for financial gain.

Last edited:

Lilofan

The more widely-circulated Star Wars movie leaks actually turned out correct. The plot layouts for Both 7 and 9 were known long before the movies released. There were a few fake ones, but the legit ones had a lot of verification backing them up. There were a few minor changes with 9's leaks due to the reshoots, though this mostly only slightly affected the order of some scenes and a Kylo Ren scene near the end. The basic plot layout remained largely consistent with the leaks though. They did better at keeping Last Jedi's plot secret. That didn't accurately leak until shortly before release IIRC. There were plenty of fake ones, but there was no real consistency across them and everyone was pretty skeptical due to non-verified inconsistent sourcing.

The Star Wars Leaks subreddit is generally a good source for credible rumors about the franchise. Youtube is not, and everyone knows to avoid it unless they're just directly copying credible rumors off the leaks subreddit. There's a group of prominent youtube clickbaiters who constantly post nothing but easily proved wrong BS about the franchise. I've already mentioned people like ClownfishTV, Yellowflash, The Quartering etc earlier in this thread (though their content isn't exclusive to Star Wars). There are plenty of others as well.

The biggest Star Wars BSer out there is definitely Mike Zeroh. He's so full of crap that I could make a career as a credible insider simply by saying the opposite of whatever he does. Not a month has gone by over the past two years where he hasn't posted multiple videos claiming that Kathleen Kennedy has been fired. He makes 25-30 videos a week about fake Star Wars news. Much of it provably wrong from the start. His favorite piece of fake news for the past few months has been a Mace Windu show he pulled out of his rear but claims is in development. He makes a decent living off this scam. He has a continually growing subscriber count. Over 234,000 subs currently with many videos getting tens of thousands of views per day (a couple from the past week have even gotten 100,000-200,000 views).

The people posting rumors on this board at the very least aren't doing so for financial gain.
There are suckers born every minute and some take advantage of that and enrich themselves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom