On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hopefully cancelling the Splash Mountain rethemes is one of the ways that they try to save money.

Also, "ex-CEO"? Isn't Iger still the CEO? He made Chapek CEO back in February, then came back a month or two after that?
Absolutely no way they cancel the splash move. None.
Chapek is still CEO. Iger is Executive Chairman of the Board. I think he just decided to take a more hands-on approach.
Iger is in charge. He “fake quit” to not be the guy on the door when or if Disney suffered a huge collapse under the weight of covid and/or the economics...
I will never not believe that the billionaires didn’t think it was gonna be much worse in February/March. They shut down everything over a week without a peep.

You know how much fear it took to overpower the normal greed?

ImperfectPixie

Advertisement
Absolutely no way they cancel the splash move. None.

Iger is in charge. He “fake quit” to not be the guy on the door when or if Disney suffered a huge collapse under the weight of covid and/or the economics...
I will never not believe that the billionaires didn’t think it was gonna be much worse in February/March. They shut down everything over a week without a peep.

You know how much fear it took to overpower the normal greed?
It didn't though. They aren't losing anything but a rounding error. It's the rest of us that are losing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It didn't though. They aren't losing anything but a rounding error. It's the rest of us that are losing.
Ahhh...patience.

I’ll admit...I didn’t think the Federal Reserve would completely rig the stock market so it would stay the same as the entire world economy shutdown...shame on me for not thinking of that.

But Disney is still going to lose massive amounts of free money for some time that Bob Does backstrokes in a la Ducktales....that’s when he’ll slither away.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
@wdwmagic IRL

maxresdefault (1).jpg

ParkerLoLs

Well, then when Disney is in debt because they spent so much money on the rethemes, I hope they learn a valuable lesson about giving in to the Twitter mob.

I think they're already in debt. But hey, if you're already deeply in the red, what's wrong with more? A former college friend of mine took expensive trips to the Cape after filing for bankruptcy. Tra la la.

Piebald

I think this thread may have jumped the gun on the timing, but I hope people dont think that because they havent heard of any layoffs during the earnings call that things are OK. Orlando right now is like when Cassian and Jyn are on Jedha in Rogue One and he says, "this town, its ready to blow"

Lots of desolate spots around town and lots of people who were "furloughed" starting to get letters telling them their job is going *poof*

doctornick

I think this thread may have jumped the gun on the timing, but I hope people dont think that because they havent heard of any layoffs during the earnings call that things are OK. Orlando right now is like when Cassian and Jyn are on Jedha in Rogue One and he says, "this town, its ready to blow"

Lots of desolate spots around town and lots of people who were "furloughed" starting to get letters telling them their job is going *poof*

Layoffs are coming, if they haven’t already occurred. As the OP suggested, there’s enough bloat that some cuts will be “good” for the company by adding efficiency and decreasing redundancy or extraneous work (of course those are still real people losing their jobs so it’s not rosey for everyone). The layoffs will affect the park staff though attrition from the College Program and International CMs will help lessen the impact on total number of “regular” CMs in Orlando.

I think where the OP’s message seems to have gone astray is in terms of the “precarious” financial situation of the company and/or the impact on Iger’s status and his legacy. At least based on the quarterly report, the company seems to be managing fine and will be able to weather the storm of the pandemic for a while. I see little indication that the company is viewed as mismanaged or “in trouble”

Ldno

I think the OP and the rumor guys have jumped ship to other boards, it’s all quiet here now, but you can look at at facebook groups of disney employees to read their layoffs stories if need be.

Lilofan

I think the OP and the rumor guys have jumped ship to other boards, it’s all quiet here now, but you can look at at facebook groups of disney employees to read their layoffs stories if need be.
When the theme park hours shorten starting in Sept 8, and look to see the thread to get new legs.

Piebald

Layoffs are coming, if they haven’t already occurred. As the OP suggested, there’s enough bloat that some cuts will be “good” for the company by adding efficiency and decreasing redundancy or extraneous work (of course those are still real people losing their jobs so it’s not rosey for everyone). The layoffs will affect the park staff though attrition from the College Program and International CMs will help lessen the impact on total number of “regular” CMs in Orlando.

I think where the OP’s message seems to have gone astray is in terms of the “precarious” financial situation of the company and/or the impact on Iger’s status and his legacy. At least based on the quarterly report, the company seems to be managing fine and will be able to weather the storm of the pandemic for a while. I see little indication that the company is viewed as mismanaged or “in trouble”
Yeah for sure. Financially Disney and Universal are taking a beating, but it's like Captain America taking a severe beating. He will be OK.

Now the ripple effect of the theme parks taking a beating? That...is the scary thing. In a city whose economy is almost entirely based on tourism

Top Bottom