Olukai Flip Flops...anyone?

sweetpee_1993

We've got our September trip coming up and I'm eyeballin' the footwear options for the family. It's gonna be hot as all heck, I know. Not our norm. I'm a big Havaianas fan myself. My brother (who is at WDW as we speak) bought a pair of Olukai flip flops prior to his trip. We've talked to him a few times since he's been in the parks and he's ready to buy stock in Olukai. He says those are the most comfortable flip flops he's ever had. His feet haven't bothered him once in the 5 or so days he's been walking the parks. He hasn't worn any other footwear other than his new Olukai's. That's great news particularly for my DH because he just spent 3 weeks in a walking-boot while he heals from a high ankle sprain on the left PLUS he's been struggling with swelling in both feet due to tendonitis for the last 6 weeks or so. He's getting better and just graduated to a smaller ankle brace. Footwear is more important now than ever. He's really wanting to avoid wheelchairs/ECVs in September. Honestly, I think he'd cancel the trip before he was stuck in one of those. :lookaroun

Soooooo, have any of you had any experience with Olukai flip flops? How are they? Gimme your complete rundown. I'd like to be more certain before I plunk down that kind of money for a single pair of flip flops. :D

Thanks muchly! :wave:

HouCuseChickie

Ooooo- I'm curious as well. There was a OluKai wedge flip flop in gold I'd been considering for our August trip. I guess at least Zappos carries them- so that's free shipping and no tax.

*edit* after reading the reviews on Zappos- I think I'll be skipping the wedges. :(

Upvote 0

stratman50th

My daughter wears nothing but Rainbows. I tried a pair in the store, but they were a bit tight. I was worried they wouldn't ever break in right.
I have never heard of Olukai. I'm looking for footwear myself, but its got to be wearable in two weeks! ;)

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
My daughter wears nothing but Rainbows. I tried a pair in the store, but they were a bit tight. I was worried they wouldn't ever break in right.
I have never heard of Olukai. I'm looking for footwear myself, but its got to be wearable in two weeks! ;)

My brother bought his Olukai Ohana's the week or so before he went on his trip. Still swears by them. I guess we should run to Houston to try them on. I'm impressed with what their website says about the design & construction. Just wondered if anyone else had any experiences with them before driving an hour or better just to try something on. Lol!

Upvote 0

stratman50th

My brother bought his Olukai Ohana's the week or so before he went on his trip. Still swears by them. I guess we should run to Houston to try them on. I'm impressed with what their website says about the design & construction. Just wondered if anyone else had any experiences with them before driving an hour or better just to try something on. Lol!

I spent $9.00 on a pair of Panama Jack flip flops in a drug store outside of the park on a whim. That was around 6 years ago. They were the best foot-gear I have ever invested in. They're dead now so they have to be replaced. Just need to be sure whatever I get will work.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Exactly. I don't care if it's $10 or $100 as long as it can go the distance. Hubby has narrow feet with high-ish arches. He needs arch support. I'm thinking we'll be slowed down anyway with the heat. I'm really worried about how his feet will do. I guess now he knows how it feels to have Fred Flintstone feet. Lol!

Upvote 0

stratman50th

Exactly. I don't care if it's $10 or $100 as long as it can go the distance. Hubby has narrow feet with high-ish arches. He needs arch support. I'm thinking we'll be slowed down anyway with the heat. I'm really worried about how his feet will do. I guess now he knows how it feels to have Fred Flintstone feet. Lol!

Yup, except I have no arches and a high instep. My ballerina daughter is always making fun of my flat feet. I do know that good flops are the way to go. The well designed ones are soft and comfortable, and they really do support you feet. They dry quickly, but you can walk around in the rain with them all day. Your feet dry out quickly and don't blister if you get the good ones that aren't Sharp between your toes.
As far as sunburn, put on sunblock before you start. Hey, I'm 51 and a former tennis shoe guy. The shoes and socks got soaked in the rain several years ago at EPCOT and the feet and shoes didn't dry out. Blister city! I'm not too proud to admit I learned something from my 16 year old!

Upvote 0

LilSuzy

Olukai's have a built in arch support. That's why they are so comfortable. They are NOT aggressive another reason why they work with MOST feet. ANY arch support in shoes/flip flops is better than NONE. You're body, believe it or not is supported by your arches, if they are supported so is the rest of you...your back will thank you too!:animwink: HTH

Upvote 0
I am a HUGE fan of Olukai flip flops!!!!!! Early last winter, after major pains in my legs, I finally went to the podiatrist and he said my arches just dropped completely flat. He said no more flip flops - I wanted to cry - I live for flip flops! I did an absolute ton of research and found Olukai to be one of the few highest recommended brands of flip flops for arch support. I wore them on my last summer trip to WDW exclusively - my feet and legs felt great. No blisters, no pain. They were well worth the $100 price tag, so much I bought a second pair.

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I've never heard of these but I am always interested in finding comfortable flip flops or non-sneaker shoes for Disney. I'm happy to find out that the Nordstrom at the mall down the street from me carries Olukai. Given the $65+ price tag I'm hesitant to just order them. I sometimes have problems with too much arch support so I just a bit scared of these.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

There's a store finder on Olukai's website. I like what they have to say about the construction and all. I guess we'll have to go check them out in person. I don't see a dealer in our area. We'll prob'ly have to go all the way to Houston. If you're braver than me you can order them online at places like Shoe Buy and Zappos. :wave:

I HIGHLY recommend Zappos!!! They usually upgrade you to overnight shipping for free (if not, it's typically 2 day shipping for free), they have a 365 day return policy with free return shipping (SUPER EASY to do), and no tax. I buy shoes for us from Zappos all the time. I recall buying DH a pair of shoes for Christmas on Dec 23rd and they were on my doorstep on Dec 24th (free shipping :D). Every return I've ever had to make has also been quick, easy and the refund rapidly credited to my acct. Their customer service reps are also top notch! It's also very rare to find anyone that beats their prices- especially when factoring no shipping cost and tax. OK- now I want to shoe shop!!!

Upvote 0
Now that summer is upon us I have been going crazy looking for a great new pair of flip flops. I may just take this thread as the recommendation I've been looking for and head to a store this week to try them out. I'll report back with my findings.

Upvote 0

dizwdwfan

After trying several brands of flip flops I have found that Tevas in the mush style are the most comfortable. Last time we went to the parks four of us wore them an not one said their feet hurt. Getting ready to invest in a new pair for our trip in August.

Upvote 0

WDW_Jon

BUY THEM! :cool:

I had never heard of them before in the UK, but I bought a pair at Curl In Downtown Disney for about $65 on our last trip and they are woth every penny!

Never really worn flip flops but when it was 90 plus last July I had to wear them all the time. probably did 10/11 days in them out of 14.....

I would buy another pair as soon as I can get back to the states! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

stratman50th

BUY THEM! :cool:

I had never heard of them before in the UK, but I bought a pair at Curl In Downtown Disney for about $65 on our last trip and they are woth every penny!

Never really worn flip flops but when it was 90 plus last July I had to wear them all the time. probably did 10/11 days in them out of 14.....

I would buy another pair as soon as I can get back to the states! :sohappy:
Are you talking about the Olukai Flip Flops? (Asking because there have been a couple of others mentioned). Plus, are you saying that the Olukai's are available at Disney? That would be great in the event that I don't get to the store before I go.

Upvote 0

WDW_Jon

Are you talking about the Olukai Flip Flops? (Asking because there have been a couple of others mentioned). Plus, are you saying that the Olukai's are available at Disney? That would be great in the event that I don't get to the store before I go.

Yes Olukai's... These ones...

http://www.olukai.com/Product_MensMakai_'Ohana_10110-9799.aspx

Curl by Sammy Duval had them at Downtown Disney (last July...) so I assume they would still have them :shrug:

They also had Reef flip flops that I have had before which are cheaper but also good. Like I say, I've never really worn flip flops as they always looked uncomfortable to me but I could wear the Olukai's all the time, well worth the price tag...

:wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom