• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

OK, I'll Admit it...Disney Prices Are Out Of Control

HongKongFu

??? The Op says he's going back. So in essence we are not taking our money elsewhere. Now he definitely had a good time but there is absolutely no incentive that I can see for anything to change.
But he got a high priced food cost item at no charge and $100 credit for no internet

If those and giveaways like those were the widespread norm then Disney would be bankrupt on day 8.

Disney is better off offering quality experiences because believe it or not quality is cheap--- it really is---- and cutting corners/making mistakes/offering things half baked is expensive.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Advertisement
I wonder (and I do not know folks, just wondering) if Disney views certain guest as a "depreciating" asset. lol. for example, us DVC'er who purchased early on. I've gotten my value worth out of my purchase, disney knows this. they probably assume that we do spend less money over the years so after say 10 years they don't even count us as having any type of monetary value??
Maybe, but regardless, they should know exactly what you spend.

If nothing else, they should be targeting you with meaningful offers you might actually take. I never get targeted, I never get coupons, I never get special treatment. It's a joke.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
But he got a high priced food cost item at no charge and $100 credit for no internet

If those and giveaways like those were the widespread norm then Disney would be bankrupt on day 8.

Disney is better off offering quality experiences because believe it or not quality is cheap--- it really is---- and cutting corners/making mistakes/offering things half baked is expensive.
True. Disney Parks STILL have relatively low ~20% margins and they can't just start giving credits left and right. I honestly think the $100 was necessary becauase of the nature of the problem. Do you think $100 was too little, too much, or just right?

The steak thing...I mean, that was a joke.

flynnibus

Besides the issues I mentioned, I had a wonderful time. I think a lot of these things would make first timers not go back or delay going back. I have gone enough to know how to manage shorter hours, avoid "rip-offs" and mitigate less than ideal circumstances. I don't need a lot of staff, as an example, to make my trip enjoyable. It's just sad I have to plan my day around attractions that are half running, but I can do it and still get the enjoyment out of my favorite attractions.
Now you are starting to get it... when people have a frame of reference, then Disney fails to meet that, yet still charges these prices.. you are bothered by it. Your frame of reference has always been what you have shown as other external comparable destinations or vendors.

Many of us use Disney's own performance as the frame of reference. Now you are seeing it slip even to your own frame of reference.

The message has been the same for awhile - they are charging a premium way beyond what they are actually delivering on.

flynnibus

they should have a rewards program because it would be a great way to "appreciate" those who go often and gives them incentive to spend more. I was going with the logic of rewarding those who go frequently and drop a lot of cash at the parks.
pointing out that others successfully do is not a confirmation of the why.
Well by your own arguments.. they shouldn't.. because people come anyway! It's your reasoning for supporting the nutty pricing and other choices... same logic here honey.

flynnibus

lol, so I guess the question becomes how long until "forever"? So if you go back just on this one site, people have been voicing these complaints for the last 8 years easy. and the crowds are bigger and the prices higher.
Housing prices were surging right before the crash too...
The 20s were booming until the depression hit...

You can't use prices and limited metrics as a size of HEALTH - they are RESULTS, not actual indicators of internal health, forecasts, margins, etc.

You keep preaching like the guy that thinks everything is fine until the moment the burning roof hits them in the head.

DisneyGigi

My problem is that I am an addict. I have complained, canceled once, still ended up going. Going again before my APs die in little under 6 weeks. I am not renewing passes when they die though. That doesn’t mean I won’t be back next fall, but we have been four 6-7 day trips since last August/September. I feel like we got our money’s worth bumping up from 8 day parkhoppers. Disney knows I will be back, maybe not that many times a year and with adding tons of extras, but they know I will be back. They throw the bait out, hook you, and just like a crack addict- (assuming) you will be back.

In all reality, I would rather be hooked on Pixie Dust, than what some addictions are. They depend on the Disney Addicts more than they like to admit tho. IMO

eliza61nyc

Housing prices were surging right before the crash too...
The 20s were booming until the depression hit...

You can't use prices and limited metrics as a size of HEALTH - they are RESULTS, not actual indicators of internal health, forecasts, margins, etc.

You keep preaching like the guy that thinks everything is fine until the moment the burning roof hits them in the head.
OK, I've got no problem with that. I use the information available and make decision. works better than preaching the "sky is falling"

Much-Pixie-Dust

True. Disney Parks STILL have relatively low ~20% margins and they can't just start giving credits left and right. I honestly think the $100 was necessary becauase of the nature of the problem. Do you think $100 was too little, too much, or just right?

The steak thing...I mean, that was a joke.
I think at least $100 comp for the lack of internet was appropriate, as was comping your meal. IMO LeCellier should have done something for you too, without prompting. It’s a steakhouse. You ordered steak.

In my experience with Disney, they have always addressed personal problems that we’ve encountered in an appropriate way that often times has gone above and beyond. Sometimes issues were handled by CM, like when little red ants were crawling out from behind the mirror in our bathroom area. I always write a letter after trip, and give names of CMs who were excellent as well as detail overall vacation experience. There was one instance when I received a call regarding a horrible customer service experience from concierge. The cast member that called was wonderful to talk to and offered a fantastic comp To make up for the bad experience. Never did I ask for anything, but I did accept it. In that call he also discussed multiple past trips I had at Disney. I imagine from all the data they keep us.

Like the op, I love Disney, but I have also seen things deteriorate from a quality aspect. The lack of staffing at rides and having rides not fully operating to capacity are what I have noticed the most. Upkeep of public areas is another. I don’t look at lightbulbs and such, but I do notice things like having an electrical cord duct taped down across the walkway at the Kidani pool bar area.

I am glad that despite the issues, you were still able to make great memories with your family.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I think at least $100 comp for the lack of internet was appropriate, as was comping your meal. IMO LeCellier should have done something for you too, without prompting. It’s a steakhouse. You ordered steak.

In my experience with Disney, they have always addressed personal problems that we’ve encountered in an appropriate way that often times has gone above and beyond. Sometimes issues were handled by CM, like when little red ants were crawling out from behind the mirror in our bathroom area. I always write a letter after trip, and give names of CMs who were excellent as well as detail overall vacation experience. There was one instance when I received a call regarding a horrible customer service experience from concierge. The cast member that called was wonderful to talk to and offered a fantastic comp To make up for the bad experience. Never did I ask for anything, but I did accept it. In that call he also discussed multiple past trips I had at Disney. I imagine from all the data they keep us.

Like the op, I love Disney, but I have also seen things deteriorate from a quality aspect. The lack of staffing at rides and having rides not fully operating to capacity are what I have noticed the most. Upkeep of public areas is another. I don’t look at lightbulbs and such, but I do notice things like having an electrical cord duct taped down across the walkway at the Kidani pool bar area.

I am glad that despite the issues, you were still able to make great memories with your family.
Thanks for the feedback. I was quite disappointed at ale Cellier, but I admit, the second steak was absolutely perfect. I don’t like to keep complaining and/or make a big deal to get what I want. I let it go. I might complain later, but I’ve already emailed guest services with no response.

Absolutely. You have to roll with some of the bad and remember this is not an easy business. I stay at many nice hotels around the world and have even xperienced issues with the Ritz and Four Seasons. It’s all about how you respond and generally Disney responds well.

I am slightly irritated they haven’t responded to my email yet.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I was at MK on July 3rd and at one point 14 rides were down across property - my kids counted them in the app. The app said at Animal Kingdom, both Pandora rides were down as well as Everest. Even Tom Sawyer Island was down due to kneel boat issues, that’s a first for me.
Can confirm. That was the day I was there and left MK because Thunder, Space, Pirates, 7DMT, and Pooh we’re down at the same time.

John park hopper

Thanks for the feedback. I was quite disappointed at ale Cellier, but I admit, the second steak was absolutely perfect. I don’t like to keep complaining and/or make a big deal to get what I want. I let it go. I might complain later, but I’ve already emailed guest services with no response.

Absolutely. You have to roll with some of the bad and remember this is not an easy business. I stay at many nice hotels around the world and have even xperienced issues with the Ritz and Four Seasons. It’s all about how you respond and generally Disney responds well.

I am slightly irritated they haven’t responded to my email yet.
Took 3 weeks to get a response to my email concerning a magic band issue. May be they are over loaded with guest issues or short staffed?

lee.moles.disney

The prices are continuing to rise at a rate that I'm not thrilled with but Disney is Such a big part of me and my families life.

If we want to continue going then we need to pay for it. Being from the UK, my family can't sustain an £8,000+ trip every other year.

We are doing a big trip next year which will include a cruise but after that we've decided that we are going to save like crazy for a year or two and buy DVC resale (probabaly at AKL) as it's the only way we feel we'll be able to continue going. We're looking at about £15,000 but it will cover us for a good 30+ years. It's worth the money upfront.

It's down to me/family to make it affordable.

jloucks

Disney has finally priced me out of ever visiting again. I priced a three night visit and it would cost more than I make in one month (including air). Disney has always been expensive, but I thought still provided some value. Seems now Disney raises prices because they know people will still pay for the experience!
A vacation for a family of 4 (for example) can cost more than you make in a month. We spent over $20,000 on a vacation to Hawaii! Now, I do make a lot of $$$,, but not that much. :p

My small point being, don't base monthly income as a sole decider of your family vacations. It will make lots of cool stuff off the table. Many of us spend more than our monthly incomes on vacations sometimes.

For me, it is all about the value. It is worth spending X amount? Right now, no. ...but for different reasons (crowding).

And you are right, people are still paying for the experience. In droves!! ...whatever a drove is.

jloucks

I wonder (and I do not know folks, just wondering) if Disney views certain guest as a "depreciating" asset. lol. for example, us DVC'er who purchased early on. I've gotten my value worth out of my purchase, disney knows this. they probably assume that we do spend less money over the years so after say 10 years they don't even count us as having any type of monetary value??
I'd be willing to bet they do to some extent.

Disney.Mike

As many of you know, I'm a long time Disney supporter and apologist when it comes to pricing. I admit it, price increases generally don't bother me because I still feel I'm getting a lot for my money. To me, the service always matches or exceeds my cost.

HOWEVER, I believe WDW has listened to too many consultants in the effort of margin expansion. This is includes not only charging MORE for the service, but neglecting the service itself.

I am fine with price increases if the delivery of service is not compromised, but I am starting to see that slipping. Here are a few examples I experienced in my most recent July 4th trip that made me question the quality of service.

1) Rides operating at half capacity - Is this to minimize staff? Pirates, Tower of Terror, and even It's A Small World only had half the ride operating on the Fourth of July. I mean, is this offseason now? Accordingly, wait times were 105min for ToT at 8:30AM during EMH, 50min for Small World, and 70 for Pirates. Tower of Terror was blamed for "maintenance" which I'm not sure is true, but I've seen them doing that at various times throughout the year. Only 2 of 4 lifits operating which points to minimizing cast member hours.

2) Food quality in general - One specific example is Be Our Guest. I literally paid $29 for a French Dip, Soup, and drink. Previously, the meat was of decent quality but this time, fatty, cold, chewy, and overall kind of disgusting. The soup was good. At Narcoossee's, I sent my steak back and literally asked them if this is Prime Beef. For $75 for lobster/steak, I expected FAR better. This was the toughest NY Strip I've ever had. They comped my meal without asking, but selling this crap for premium price is shameful. That was a choice steak, AT BEST.

3) No Wi-Fi at Boardwalk - I am paying almost $400/night and LOVE staying here, but not having working Wi-Fi during any of my 5 nights is simply unacceptable at a Deluxe Resort. I called every night and was connected to IT support which wasn't able to solve the issue. I finally talked to someone that just straight up told me, "It's terrible and it's a bandwidth issue. Simply too many people on it. We are switching to fiber but it's a long process." I appreciated the honesty, but come on...I get Wi-Fi at Holiday Inn. They did give me $100 credit without asking. Le Cellier...asked for my steak medium...served it straight up well done. They got it right on try #2, but didn't offer anything for me having to eat separately from my wife.

4) Park Hours - I know we've been talking about this for a while, but I totally AGREE...park hours are a joke. During most of my nights, MK closed at 10PM and everything else was closed by 9PM. July 4th, MK was open until 2AM I believe, which was nice. In general, the parks need longer hours particularly for the prices chaged.

5) Toy Story Land Sucks - I tried to like it. I tried my best. It sucks. The queues are outside, it's hot, small, crowded, and the best ride there already existed. Alien totally sucks and Slinky is the Barnstormer+. These new lands are just not cutting it. New Fantasyland sucked too. Avatar was good, but I still think Na'vi is a C+ to B- attraction.

6) Maintenance is Poor - I'm there about every 2 months and the same crap is broken consistently. Spaceship Earth is a travesty. American Adventure has the same slow lift issue it had in May, no Jane, and all kinds of animatronic issues. Rides also seem to be "down" more. I don't have data to back this up, but the day I got there, Thunder Mountain, Peter Pan, Pirates, and Space Mountain were all down at the same time for hours. I finally left having not used my Multiple Experiences Fast Pass.

7) Many Concessions Closed During Park Hours - What's up with this? Trying to get some juice in Liberty Square and it doesn't open until 11AM? I used to get one every morning. Same thing at Hollywood Studios. If the park is open, everything should be open!

I had a great time, but these things are starting to get tiresome. Disney still DOES take care of complaints with a smile and are ready to give you concessions, but I hate to even have to ask.
2 weeks ago I would have argued with most of what you said, but here today I agree. I'm sitting in POR after a 8 night stay... Holy smokes this has been the worst trip I've ever had on every metric.

The Churo station in MK apparently doesn't open until 10 even when the park opens at 8 for EMH...

Details on my stay in the trip report section... It's gonna be a while before I go back

Tony the Tigger

I agree. If my steak was off, bad enough that I would even say something, and they brought me a new one, then I have already been appropriately compensated, and they have already had to pay for an extra steak. I wouldn’t expect it to be comped unless I didn’t want a new one.

I don’t care if everyone else ate before me or whatever. Bring me some bread or if you want to comp something, maybe a drink or an app in the meantime.

Maybe, but regardless, they should know exactly what you spend.

If nothing else, they should be targeting you with meaningful offers you might actually take. I never get targeted, I never get coupons, I never get special treatment. It's a joke.
AP and DVC have constant offers, just not targeted individually most of the time.

Top Bottom