Trip Report Oh September - we'll miss you so - A Sept 18th to the 27th trip report

Hi everyone. Well, we’re finally back from a 10 day trip to Disney, so it’s time to start a trip report. Anyone interested in the PTR can find it here:http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...eptember-pre-trip-report.873402/#post-5711274
First, the introductions:
PH294220912 - 0053.jpg

From left to right – Our DS Liam, , DW Tammy, me (Graham) and our DD Stephanie (this picture is from last year, so you'll be able to see how much the kids have changed from last year's trip).

We were down at the world from Sept 18th to the 27th, in a one bedroom villa at AKL. As the title hints at, this will be our last September trip for a while. Steph starts High School next year, so we won't be able to take her out of school anymore. So, let's make the most of this last September trip shall we...here goes:

Day -1 - Sept 17
Day -1 started the same as any other day for us. Tammy and I were up at 5:15am and got ready for work (I’m the manager of the advertising accounting department at Tim Hortons (a coffee and donut chain), and my wife runs an in-home daycare). Work was fairly busy which was good because it really made the time fly. Before I knew it, 4:00 had rolled around and I said my last goodbyes to my team and headed home. The drive home was OK – about 45 minutes. Tammy and the kids were waiting at the door when I got home. 10 minutes to pack the car, we were on the road to Buffalo. We crossed into Buffalo and headed to Sam’s Club to pick up some breakfast items (pastries, etc), and to Target to pick up some Disney gift cards (you can pay for the gift cards with the Target card, which knocks 5% off the price (which pretty much covers the foreign exchange for us Canadians)). We picked up $300 in cards with the plan to use them to cover some of the QS meals while we were there (we would have purchased more, but we weren’t sure how this would work, so we decided to start small this year – if it works, we’ll do more next time we go). With all the pre-trip shopping out of the way, we headed to the Sleep Inn across from the Buffalo airport (with a brief stop in at the airport to weigh our largest bags to make sure we weren’t overweight with them), and were in bed around 10:00. Hard to believe, but the trip we’ve been planning and looking forward to for almost a year is finally here.

Day 1 – Sept 18
The wake-up call came at 4:30am (and the alarm on my phone went off at approximately the same time). Everyone got up, got ready, and headed down to the lobby of the hotel for a quick bite, before taking the shuttle over to the airport. We breezed through security check, grabbed a bit more caffeine and hung out at our gate.
20130918_065502-jpg.33987

We started boarding the AirTran plane around 7:30, and were in the air just after 8.
IMG_9065.JPG

The flight down was pretty uneventful, and we were on the ground in Orlando around 10:30. One cool thing was that the plane had to approach the runway from the opposite side it normally does when we fly down, so we flew over Universal, and saw the MK in the distance. We love the Orlando airport. It’s a really nice airport, and it’s the first stop on our Disney trip which makes it even better. We flew through airport to the Magical Express desk, and were on one of the best bus rides known to man in no time at all.
20130918_103831.jpg

The Magical Express ride was good as usual. One kind of funny thing happened when did the drop off at AoA. The driver had announced that we were at AoA so everyone staying here could get off. After everyone got off, the driver pulled away and was about halfway between AoA and POP when a lady comes running from the back of the bus. Turns out she didn’t hear the announcement to get off. I thought the driver was going to turn around and drive back…Nope…opened the door right there and told her and her family they could get off here then...

Hey... that's where we're staying
20130918_114138.jpg

Anyways….We pulled into AKL around 11 and were greeted by David, who was a manager at the hotel. “Welcome Home Burnett family” was how we were greeted – I liked the personal touch of knowing our name. He took us into the lobby and sat us down on a couch and said he’d handle the check-in for us. We had already done on-line check in so everything was pretty much ready (and, SCORE, our room was ready too). We were up on the 5th floor and a bit of a hike from the lobby (and no savannah view) but we were happy. We went to the concierge desk and bought our park passes (8 days of park passes with park hopper and waterparks and more), then headed to the store to get our mugs. I noticed the Rapid Fill program was rolled out here, so it will be interesting to see how that works. After all that we headed up to our room. We did the quick room tour, dropped off our carry-ons, then headed out to the busses. We decided that since we were so close, AK would be the park today. I also made another decision…I decided not to bring my camera (I had my phone with the camera on it, but I didn’t bring the DSLR with me). Let me explain…I love taking pictures (I didn’t say I was good at it, I just like it), but too often I find myself being more concerned with getting the perfect picture than with enjoying the experience that I’m taking the picture of. So, for the first day, I left the big camera in the room.
The bus to AK pulled up, and before we knew it we were there. The first thing I noticed when we got to the park was that something was missing…the big AK sign that used to be between the bus stop and the front gates. It was there last year:
Disney 2012 051.JPG

Oh well, no biggie. We flew through bag check, then I headed to the customer service desk to do something we had never done before…buy a Tables in Wonderland card (why you can’t buy the TiW card at the hotel is beyond me). Up until this year we had always done the dining plan, and it worked pretty well for us. This year, however, a few things changed: 1) Liam turned 10, so we would now be 4 adults on the dining plan and 2) Disney raised the dining plan price twice between September 2012 and September 2013. Being an accountant, I did some number crunching and realized that based on how we eat (we aren’t big eaters, and DD is more of a picky/simple eater) that we could save quite a bit not buying the dining plan this year. I decided to track the costs of everything we bought that would have been covered by the dining plan, and see where we ended up at the end. I can tell you that the standard dining plan for 4 adults for 9 days would have been $2,121. Oh...btw, the card is good until October 31, 2014, so it may get two trips worth of use.
Could this be the source of some major savings? Time will tell

IMG_9130.JPG

After TiW is purchased, and with 4 KttW cards just itching to be used, we approached the entrance poles. A quick tap and finger scan and we were in. Problem…it started raining. Bah. We decided lunch would be the best way to start since we were all kind of hungry, and hopefully the rain would pass by the time we were done. The kids wanted to do Restaurantasorous, so we headed there. A cool thing about the AK QS restaurants is that they let you use TiW in most of them. We got to the restaurant just as it started pouring. For lunch Steph got the mac and cheese dog, Liam got the bacon burger, Tammy got the chicken nuggets, and I got the grilled chicken sandwich. All were good and, bonus, the rain had stopped.

So the next decision to make…what to ride first. I will say that the rain pretty much emptied the park out, which was great for getting on rides. We were so close to Dinoland, so the kids picked Dinosaur as the first ride. The ride was pretty good, but the dinosaur that come out and roars at you when they take your picture was not working (which made the picture look weird since everyone was looking at the substitute dinosaur on the opposite side of where the roaring one was, except for me, who was looking the wrong way expecting to be roared at). Anyways…not a bad start. Primeval Whirl was next (Steph loves this one). Next up was my favourite – Expedition Everest. I love this ride. I never got to experience it with a fully functioning yeti, so I can only imagine how much more awesome it would be. We went on twice, and walked on both times. After EE it was safari (one of Tammy’s favourites). It was really good. The lions were quite active this time (which made me wish I had my better camera). It was really funny to watch. There were two female lions and one male. The one female was at the very top of the rock formation and every time the male lion tried to get up there, she would swat him in the head…”They’re so much like us”.
20130918_150027.jpg

After this, the kids wanted to do Everest again (yeah…the “kids” wanted to do it again). So we head back to Asia, and rode Everest 3 more times (the kids each wanted to do one ride alone, and one together). Fun times. We decided to call it a day for the park, and headed back to the hotel to freshen up for dinner. Dinner tonight was ‘Ohana – a first night tradition for us.
IMG_9073.JPG

I had purposely booked the meal for a bit later (6:50) so we could watch Wishes from our table. We requested a window seat, and were in woodfired meat heaven in no time.
IMG_9093.JPG

Attachments

• 20130918_065502.jpg
    20130918_065502.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 685
Last edited:

gwhb75

Original Poster
What a great TR - and Dead Tim's should give you a bonus for the product placement(s)! ;)

I'm originally from Minnesota (almost Canadian, I like to say) and funnily, nothing gives me that I'm in Canada feeling like seeing a Tim Horton's. Mmm...wish they were in London...mmm...

Glad you enjoyed the report.

I'll see if I can get the company to pay for future trips if I promise to do more product placement (maybe I'll carry a Tim Hortons cup around the parks and watch all the Canadians freak out trying to find where the Tim Hortons at Disney is).

In terms of London, I think we do have some in England. I know we have locations in Ireland. I'll look into it and let you know.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Glad you enjoyed the report.

I'll see if I can get the company to pay for future trips if I promise to do more product placement (maybe I'll carry a Tim Hortons cup around the parks and watch all the Canadians freak out trying to find where the Tim Hortons at Disney is).

In terms of London, I think we do have some in England. I know we have locations in Ireland. I'll look into it and let you know.

Where in Ireland? I have lots of family there and visit often. Mostly I see Costa Coffee there...

gwhb75

Original Poster
Where in Ireland? I have lots of family there and visit often. Mostly I see Costa Coffee there...
We're in a lot of the Tesco's as well as Spar gas stations (kiosks). Also at the University of Dublin and the zoo. My brother lives in Ireland and was quite happy when we opened up there.

tiaragirl

Where to start...

I feel your pain. I've read your trip reports and noticed that Tim Hortons was usually in them so I can imagine what it's like when you want your fix and there's nothing you can do about it. Get your family to send you a care package with some Tims in it.

I know all about you maritime girls. My nephew is dating a girl from PEI so I've been indoctrinated in the east coast ways.

Hamilton is nice. Yeah, we're fortunate that we live so close to the US. One of the guys that works for me got return flights from Niagara Falls (NY) to Fort Lauderdale for something crazy like $75 return on Spirit Airlines. We looked at flying out of Toronto or Hamilton, but it was more than double what we paid flying out of Buffalo.

Sanaa was great. We were concerned since Steph is a bit of a picky eater, but even she liked it. Maybe one day you'll get there.

Thanks for reading. Glad you enjoyed it.

Hahha yes - there's (obviously) a Tims - or two - in the Halifax airport. If I got them to send me a care package with Tims now, I'd be gone before it got here! Also, it would cost like $100 to ship to China.. crazy, crazy. I've come to depend on Costa Coffee (possibly a British chain?) - they have a gingerbread latte right now that I'll make do with. Bagels in China aren't great, though.

I love the "you Maritime girls".. one of my good friends that came over with me is from PEI and one of the girls on the Grade 5 team is also from PEI! Love 'the other Island' - how old is your nephew?

My fam is actually headed out for the Fantasy today - a lot of the time we fly on air miles so it's not super expensive that way, but when I finance my own trips I don't have the benefit of Dadder's miles and it hurts the wallet. Makes it dissuasive to fly sometimes!

Looking forward to moreee.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Hahha yes - there's (obviously) a Tims - or two - in the Halifax airport. If I got them to send me a care package with Tims now, I'd be gone before it got here! Also, it would cost like $100 to ship to China.. crazy, crazy. I've come to depend on Costa Coffee (possibly a British chain?) - they have a gingerbread latte right now that I'll make do with. Bagels in China aren't great, though.

I love the "you Maritime girls".. one of my good friends that came over with me is from PEI and one of the girls on the Grade 5 team is also from PEI! Love 'the other Island' - how old is your nephew?

My fam is actually headed out for the Fantasy today - a lot of the time we fly on air miles so it's not super expensive that way, but when I finance my own trips I don't have the benefit of Dadder's miles and it hurts the wallet. Makes it dissuasive to fly sometimes!

Looking forward to moreee.

It's crazy how expensive it is to ship anything larger than a letter. At least when you get back there will be some good coffee waiting (and now in K-Cup and Tassimo formats too).

My nephew is 23. It wouldn't surprise me if they get married next year (which means I may be making a trip to PEI).

Flying from Canada on any of the major airlines is insanely expensive. My wife and I flew to Timmins once (she's from there) on Air Ontario (which was a sub of Air Canada), and it cost over $1,000 for the two of us. It's insane to think the at the four of us flew to Orlando and back for less than that.

Hope you're enjoying China (despite the quality of the bagels).

gwhb75

Original Poster
Final thoughts

If you've read this far, thank-you. I hoped you enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it. I want to be clear that I am not a so-called "Pixie Dust" snorter as some like to label people who mention anything they like about Disney. I'm also not a hater who can't wait to complain about all things Disney. I like going to Disney, and will continue to go until I don't like it anymore. Here are some closing thoughts:
  • Dining Plan vs TiW: When we started thinking about using TiW instead of buying the dining plan we were pretty uncomfortable. It was nice to have the meals prepaid so the costs were locked in. However, I will say that TiW was a great decision. We ate the way we wanted (i.e. we didn't try to make TiW "work" so that it was financially better than the dining plan). I did a calculation where I took the costs of everything we paid out of pocket that would have been covered by the meal plan (including 4 refillable mugs). The cost of the dining plan would have been around $2,100, and our total out of pocket expenses (including the $100 for the cost of the card itself) was $1,550, for a saving of $550. Plus the card is good until October 31, 2014, so we'll probably get one more trip out of it
  • Rapid Fill program: We had no problem with the program. I get that it may be a bit more of a hassle, but I also get why it had to be done. I know that pop (soda) is pretty cheap on a per serving basis (a few cents), but that doesn't give anyone the right to basically steal it. The way I think of it is if you walk into a store and the cash register is open so you take a few pennies out and put it in your pocket. It's not big dollars, but it's not right to take it. It must have been a big enough problem that Disney invested money to fix it. It's unfortunate that it has to be done though.
  • Parks: I love the parks. The waterparks (at least Blizzard Beach) is fantastic. The 4 main parks were great too. I did notice a few rides being down a bit (Rock N Rollercoaster and Test Track were the two I really noticed). Having said that, we don't let that kind of stuff bother us too much. We just enjoy being somewhere fun together. We don't expect perfection since that will only lead to disappointment. We do have high standards though and, from what I can tell, Disney strives to meet those standards.
  • CMs: We didn't have any bad interactions with CMs. In fact we had some great interactions with them. David meeting us when we stepped off the ME bus and knowing our name was a great start.
Thanks again for reading

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom