Trip Report Oh September - we'll miss you so - A Sept 18th to the 27th trip report

Hi everyone. Well, we’re finally back from a 10 day trip to Disney, so it’s time to start a trip report. Anyone interested in the PTR can find it here:http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...eptember-pre-trip-report.873402/#post-5711274
First, the introductions:
PH294220912 - 0053.jpg

From left to right – Our DS Liam, , DW Tammy, me (Graham) and our DD Stephanie (this picture is from last year, so you'll be able to see how much the kids have changed from last year's trip).

We were down at the world from Sept 18th to the 27th, in a one bedroom villa at AKL. As the title hints at, this will be our last September trip for a while. Steph starts High School next year, so we won't be able to take her out of school anymore. So, let's make the most of this last September trip shall we...here goes:

Day -1 - Sept 17
Day -1 started the same as any other day for us. Tammy and I were up at 5:15am and got ready for work (I’m the manager of the advertising accounting department at Tim Hortons (a coffee and donut chain), and my wife runs an in-home daycare). Work was fairly busy which was good because it really made the time fly. Before I knew it, 4:00 had rolled around and I said my last goodbyes to my team and headed home. The drive home was OK – about 45 minutes. Tammy and the kids were waiting at the door when I got home. 10 minutes to pack the car, we were on the road to Buffalo. We crossed into Buffalo and headed to Sam’s Club to pick up some breakfast items (pastries, etc), and to Target to pick up some Disney gift cards (you can pay for the gift cards with the Target card, which knocks 5% off the price (which pretty much covers the foreign exchange for us Canadians)). We picked up $300 in cards with the plan to use them to cover some of the QS meals while we were there (we would have purchased more, but we weren’t sure how this would work, so we decided to start small this year – if it works, we’ll do more next time we go). With all the pre-trip shopping out of the way, we headed to the Sleep Inn across from the Buffalo airport (with a brief stop in at the airport to weigh our largest bags to make sure we weren’t overweight with them), and were in bed around 10:00. Hard to believe, but the trip we’ve been planning and looking forward to for almost a year is finally here.

Day 1 – Sept 18
The wake-up call came at 4:30am (and the alarm on my phone went off at approximately the same time). Everyone got up, got ready, and headed down to the lobby of the hotel for a quick bite, before taking the shuttle over to the airport. We breezed through security check, grabbed a bit more caffeine and hung out at our gate.
20130918_065502-jpg.33987

We started boarding the AirTran plane around 7:30, and were in the air just after 8.
IMG_9065.JPG

The flight down was pretty uneventful, and we were on the ground in Orlando around 10:30. One cool thing was that the plane had to approach the runway from the opposite side it normally does when we fly down, so we flew over Universal, and saw the MK in the distance. We love the Orlando airport. It’s a really nice airport, and it’s the first stop on our Disney trip which makes it even better. We flew through airport to the Magical Express desk, and were on one of the best bus rides known to man in no time at all.
20130918_103831.jpg

The Magical Express ride was good as usual. One kind of funny thing happened when did the drop off at AoA. The driver had announced that we were at AoA so everyone staying here could get off. After everyone got off, the driver pulled away and was about halfway between AoA and POP when a lady comes running from the back of the bus. Turns out she didn’t hear the announcement to get off. I thought the driver was going to turn around and drive back…Nope…opened the door right there and told her and her family they could get off here then...

Hey... that's where we're staying
20130918_114138.jpg

Anyways….We pulled into AKL around 11 and were greeted by David, who was a manager at the hotel. “Welcome Home Burnett family” was how we were greeted – I liked the personal touch of knowing our name. He took us into the lobby and sat us down on a couch and said he’d handle the check-in for us. We had already done on-line check in so everything was pretty much ready (and, SCORE, our room was ready too). We were up on the 5th floor and a bit of a hike from the lobby (and no savannah view) but we were happy. We went to the concierge desk and bought our park passes (8 days of park passes with park hopper and waterparks and more), then headed to the store to get our mugs. I noticed the Rapid Fill program was rolled out here, so it will be interesting to see how that works. After all that we headed up to our room. We did the quick room tour, dropped off our carry-ons, then headed out to the busses. We decided that since we were so close, AK would be the park today. I also made another decision…I decided not to bring my camera (I had my phone with the camera on it, but I didn’t bring the DSLR with me). Let me explain…I love taking pictures (I didn’t say I was good at it, I just like it), but too often I find myself being more concerned with getting the perfect picture than with enjoying the experience that I’m taking the picture of. So, for the first day, I left the big camera in the room.
The bus to AK pulled up, and before we knew it we were there. The first thing I noticed when we got to the park was that something was missing…the big AK sign that used to be between the bus stop and the front gates. It was there last year:
Disney 2012 051.JPG

Oh well, no biggie. We flew through bag check, then I headed to the customer service desk to do something we had never done before…buy a Tables in Wonderland card (why you can’t buy the TiW card at the hotel is beyond me). Up until this year we had always done the dining plan, and it worked pretty well for us. This year, however, a few things changed: 1) Liam turned 10, so we would now be 4 adults on the dining plan and 2) Disney raised the dining plan price twice between September 2012 and September 2013. Being an accountant, I did some number crunching and realized that based on how we eat (we aren’t big eaters, and DD is more of a picky/simple eater) that we could save quite a bit not buying the dining plan this year. I decided to track the costs of everything we bought that would have been covered by the dining plan, and see where we ended up at the end. I can tell you that the standard dining plan for 4 adults for 9 days would have been $2,121. Oh...btw, the card is good until October 31, 2014, so it may get two trips worth of use.
Could this be the source of some major savings? Time will tell

IMG_9130.JPG

After TiW is purchased, and with 4 KttW cards just itching to be used, we approached the entrance poles. A quick tap and finger scan and we were in. Problem…it started raining. Bah. We decided lunch would be the best way to start since we were all kind of hungry, and hopefully the rain would pass by the time we were done. The kids wanted to do Restaurantasorous, so we headed there. A cool thing about the AK QS restaurants is that they let you use TiW in most of them. We got to the restaurant just as it started pouring. For lunch Steph got the mac and cheese dog, Liam got the bacon burger, Tammy got the chicken nuggets, and I got the grilled chicken sandwich. All were good and, bonus, the rain had stopped.

So the next decision to make…what to ride first. I will say that the rain pretty much emptied the park out, which was great for getting on rides. We were so close to Dinoland, so the kids picked Dinosaur as the first ride. The ride was pretty good, but the dinosaur that come out and roars at you when they take your picture was not working (which made the picture look weird since everyone was looking at the substitute dinosaur on the opposite side of where the roaring one was, except for me, who was looking the wrong way expecting to be roared at). Anyways…not a bad start. Primeval Whirl was next (Steph loves this one). Next up was my favourite – Expedition Everest. I love this ride. I never got to experience it with a fully functioning yeti, so I can only imagine how much more awesome it would be. We went on twice, and walked on both times. After EE it was safari (one of Tammy’s favourites). It was really good. The lions were quite active this time (which made me wish I had my better camera). It was really funny to watch. There were two female lions and one male. The one female was at the very top of the rock formation and every time the male lion tried to get up there, she would swat him in the head…”They’re so much like us”.
20130918_150027.jpg

After this, the kids wanted to do Everest again (yeah…the “kids” wanted to do it again). So we head back to Asia, and rode Everest 3 more times (the kids each wanted to do one ride alone, and one together). Fun times. We decided to call it a day for the park, and headed back to the hotel to freshen up for dinner. Dinner tonight was ‘Ohana – a first night tradition for us.
IMG_9073.JPG

I had purposely booked the meal for a bit later (6:50) so we could watch Wishes from our table. We requested a window seat, and were in woodfired meat heaven in no time.
IMG_9093.JPG

Attachments

• 20130918_065502.jpg
    20130918_065502.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 685
Last edited:

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 1 continued
A few more 'Ohana pictures
IMG_9102.JPG

The bread pudding was awesome as usual.
IMG_9103.JPG

At around 8 the lights dimmed, and the soundtrack for Wishes started and we got to watch the fireworks (my apologies for the blurry pictures – I was playing with the camera settings and, in order to get picture in the dark, had turned off the autofocus on the lens).
IMG_9108.JPG

That was pretty much it for the day. We took the boat from the Poly over to the MK, then a bus back to AK. The early morning started catching up to us, and we were all asleep by 9:30. Tomorrow is the Magic Kingdom (I don’t feel like the vacation has officially started until we go there).

I'll post some more tomorrow...

LizC

Great start. I discovered the TIW card a few years ago, and even though we make only 1-3 trips a year it is totally worth it. 'Ohana is a favorite of ours too, although we have never watched Wishes there, maybe next trip.

Looking forward to the rest. :D

gwhb75

Original Poster
Great start. I discovered the TIW card a few years ago, and even though we make only 1-3 trips a year it is totally worth it. 'Ohana is a favorite of ours too, although we have never watched Wishes there, maybe next trip.

Looking forward to the rest. :D

Thanks. I hope to post another today tonight.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Did the family really have to get off? Sorry I've never been to AOA or POP to know if that is a far distance or not..

Yes, they got off there. POP and AoA are right beside each other so it's not like they had miles to walk. They had to cross the AoA parking lot, so it was probably a 5 minute walk, but with carry-on luggage etc.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 2 - Sept 19
The early morning the day before kind of caught up to us, and we slept in a bit (at least from a Disney standpoint (i.e. around 8:00)). I got up and made some of the coffee that we brought (I will say that the Joffrey’s coffee is actually a lot better than the Nescafe garbage they used to have – we actually ordered coffee with our meals on more than one occasion).

"It's Time for Tim's"
IMG_9122.JPG

Steph and I on the bus (and apparently the hair gel is working overtime today - man my hair is way more spiked than normal)
20130919_094525.jpg

Today’s plan was the Magic Kingdom. We got there just before 10, and the park looked pretty empty.
IMG_9141.JPG

First ride of the day was Space Mountain – we wanted to make sure we got on it before it closed for the trim brake work. It was great. Too bad it will be closed the rest of the time….(or so we thought). After that was the Tomorrowland Speedway. I know there are some who think this ride is a waste of space, but Liam absolutely loves it…and, BONUS, he grew a lot in a year and was able to drive by himself this time (which made him very happy). Tammy and I sat up in the bleachers and watched the kids drive, and I took some pictures.
IMG_9152.JPG

IMG_9154.JPG

Next was our first trip into new Fantasyland. I thought the place looked amazing, but it will look sooooo much better once the construction walls are down and the new Mine train is up and running. We hit the Little Mermaid ride (which was a walk-on). It was pretty good (not great, but not bad either).
IMG_9167.JPG

Spoiler alert: They get together at the end...
IMG_9176.JPG

After this, Liam was hungry, and really wanted to try a pork shank, so we hit up Gaston’s for a shank and a LeFou’s Brew.
IMG_9178.JPG

IMG_9179.JPG

We really liked the brew, and Liam loved the pork.

IMG_9180.JPG

To be continued...

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 2 continued

After Liam filled himself with pork and brew, we headed towards the Colombia Harbor House (and picked up fastpasses for Peter Pan on the way) for the rest of us to get some lunch – we all got fish and chips.
We noticed the line in Colombia was pretty long, which was an omen of what was coming. After lunch we headed to HM which had a 15 minute wait – not terrible, but a bit longer than we are used to seeing in September.
We love the HM – Liam and Steph where excited to see the hidden Mickey on the dining room table. After Mansion we headed into Frontierland, but not before a quick stop in Liberty Square to take our annual picture:

Hard to believe that this is how they looked on our first trip in 2008:
Walt Disney - Day 2 034.JPG

And now they look like this:

IMG_9189.JPG

Now the plan was to go into Fronteirland to hit up the other two mountains….until we saw the insane lines – both had 45 minute waits…pass. We’ll get you later triple mountain whammy. So we passed through Fronteirland, and into Adventureland. Pirates was up next – with a 20 minute wait…what is going on...
IMG_9191.JPG

I will say that everything was working on Pirates today (the mermaids, the mist effect, etc). The new boats were nothing special, and we didn’t get wet. So we had done a complete loop of the park…what to do…I’ll tell you what you do…start all over again...”TO TOMORROWLAND” I cried (well, actually it was more like “hey, want to go on Space Mountain again”, but that doesn’t sound as dramatic). So, we head to Tomorrowland again, but decide to hit the TTA first – which is when I noticed that Space Mountain was closed…could it be…the lights are on????....Yes they were. Space Mountain looks a lot scarier with the lights on. It was kind of neat to see it, but I was so distracted by it, that I forgot to take pictures. After TTA it was fastpass time for Pan – Tammy likes Pan a lot. We then headed back to Fronteirland to try the mountains again – the lines were still pretty long so we got fastpasses for Splash and got into the standby for BTMR which had a 30 minute wait (I wanted to see the new additions to the line – I liked them – they give you something to do while waiting).

I had a brief panic attack right before I got on the train when I thought I lost my wallet – it was safely hidden in my camera bag though, so all was good. BTMR was great, but we were getting tired and decided to head back to the resort for a few hours. We gave our Splash fastpasses to two girls coming in and headed back to AKL. I took the kids down to the pool while Tammy slept (she’s coming down with something spoiler: it stuck with her most of the trip so she was pretty disappointed that she felt tired the whole trip).
IMG_9197.JPG

So, feeling fully refreshed, we head back to the MK for our Be Our Guest dinner reservations.
IMG_9202.JPG

This place is amazing – so well themed. Here's the napkin on our table:
IMG_9218.JPG

For dinner Liam got the rack of lamb,
IMG_9224.JPG

Steph and Tammy got the pork chop,
IMG_9222.JPG

and I got the Shrimp and Scallops.
IMG_9221.JPG

We were pretty full after dinner, but wanted to try something for dessert...

Last edited:

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
so Tammy and I split a strawberry cupcake and the kids split the NEW Grey Stuff tart – both were pretty good.
IMG_9227.JPG

IMG_9225.JPG

After dinner the kids got a picture taken with Beast
IMG_9230.JPG

and I got a picture of the enchanted rose

IMG_9229.JPG

So after dinner we decided to complete the triple mountain whammy, so we rode Splash, then called it a night at the park. Back to the resort for a quick swim then off to bed. The plan is Blizzard Beach tomorrow.

to be continued...

Raven66

Looking forward to reading the rest of your trip report. We went to BOG for dinner and really enjoyed it. We each bought a different dessert and passed them around the table. All so yummy!!

PrincessNelly_NJ

This is a great report, having a yearly photo like that is an awesome idea, I wish we did that. But ugh I can't imagine being sick at Disney! Looking forward to a trip then feeling miserable the whole time? NO! :mad:

gwhb75

Original Poster
Looking forward to reading the rest of your trip report. We went to BOG for dinner and really enjoyed it. We each bought a different dessert and passed them around the table. All so yummy!!
Thanks. Yeah the desserts did look good there, we were just too full from the meal to get one each.

gwhb75

Original Poster
This is a great report, having a yearly photo like that is an awesome idea, I wish we did that. But ugh I can't imagine being sick at Disney! Looking forward to a trip then feeling miserable the whole time? NO! :mad:

Thanks for the kind words. I felt so bad for Tammy. She had been looking forward to this trip for so long, and when we finally get there she gets sick (and she rarely gets sick). She toughed it out and started feeling better the last few days at least.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 3 - Sept 20
Day 3 started the same as day 2…coffee. We were all up a bit later because today was the first waterpark day for us, and they don’t open until 10:00. One thing I did do was change our dining reservation time. We were booked at Teppan Edo (this was Liam’s choice) at 7:50, but realized that is just way too late, so I hopped on the “My Disney Experience” app and found a 6:50 reservation which we happily took. Let me say something here…I love the My Disney Experience app. I love how easy it is to make, change and cancel dining reservations on it (we did that several times during the trip). I have no experience with the Magic Bands, but am a big fan of the app for sure.
Anyways…today’s plan was Blizzard Beach (we’re not really fans of Typhoon Lagoon). We were on a bus at a good time, and got to BB a few minutes before park opening.
20130920_095533.jpg

First stop was a locker (we got a small one) and then hit the slides. Up next was Summit Plummit (well, that was the plan for 3 of us. Tammy hates heights so that is a no-go on SP).
SANY0038.JPG

Steph, Liam and I took the ski lift and then the short walk up the stairs to the top of SP. There was no one in line at all when we got up there which, surprisingly, bothered me a bit. Normally I have a few minutes to psych myself up before I sit down and hang over the edge, but there was no waiting this time….just had to sit down and push off….awesome ride. The kids followed behind and loved it too. After SP we went back to the beach chairs and picked Tammy up, and we headed back up Mount Gushmore to hit Teamboat Springs (twice) and Slush Gusher (Tammy actually did Slush Gusher and enjoyed it).
SANY0046.JPG

We managed to get all that done in the first 45 minutes of being there. The rest of the day was spent just doing whatever we felt like. We did Runoff Rapids and Snow Stormers which were both fun, and also did a couple of laps of the lazy river (the lazy river is just awesome when the sun is out and it’s warm). We ate lunch at ALOTAWATA restaurant (Steph got the cheese pizza, Liam got a burger, and Tammy and I had the holiday sandwich (turkey, stuffing cranberry sauce), played in the pool for a while, and then called it a day.
SANY0019.JPG

Now for a kind of funny/kind of sad story. Let me start by saying that I don’t understand the sense of entitlement some people have. In this case, there was a family waiting for a bus for AoA, and the mother of the family (who I would guess was in her late 50's/early 60's) was in a scooter (no, this isn’t an I hate scooters story, it just so happens the lady was in a scooter). The first bus pulled up and was full (if you’ve never been to a waterpark before, normally the bus goes from the resort to the waterpark and then on to another park after that, so it's often full of people who aren't getting off at the waterpark). Anyways, the bus pulls up full, and this lady starts asking the bus driver why she won’t tell people they have to get off the bus so she can get on. The conversation went on for a good two or three minutes, with lots of hand waving and loudness. In the end, the bus pulled away, with the family still waiting. About two minutes later, a second AoA bus pulls up…same thing (full). This time the driver just opens the door and tells her they’re full, and drives off. Well this lady loses it. Just starts yelling at the bus as it drives away (while her 30ish year old son gives the bus the finger (in front of his two kids)), then tells her husband she’s going to go deal with this, and drives off to go complain to someone. I jokingly mentioned to Tammy how funny it would be if an empty AoA bus showed up now…which it did. Her husband had to go running off to find her. At least this whole thing provided a distraction while we waited for our bus to come (how does AoA get three busses in 6 minutes, and we waited 15 minutes for one?).
So we go back to the room, get changed, and head off to EPCOT.
IMG_9262.JPG

The kids love Club Cool, so we went there first. Steph and Liam tried to have a Beverly chugging contest, which lasted about ½ a sample cup before they both decided that it was disgusting.
IMG_9257.JPG

I did notice that a lot of the dispensers had the “sorry, we’re out of this kind” stickers on them.
IMG_9255.JPG

After Club Cool it was off to our first trip on the new Test Track. Everybody loved it. The kids loved designing their own car, and doing all the things after the ride (they made a commercial, drove their car on a virtual track, etc).
IMG_9265.JPG

20130920_170507.jpg

It was just a really good time. We would have loved to have spent more time around Future World, but our Teppan Edo reservation time was almost up, so we headed over to Japan.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom