Official WDW Facebook page opens the floodgates to MyMagic+ comments

Zweiland

I can't escape the feeling that those "likes" are gonna do the talking. 2,897 against 300 or so bad reviews isn't so bad!!

FP+ is doomed to succeed, if that makes any sense at all.
And this is the fundamental problem with using Facebook to determine guest feedback-- there is no dislike button. Of course, Disney likes it that way so they can skew the results.

Last edited:
Disney, much like any other company, was able to closely estimate the number of guests who would be in the parks on any given day, or how many would eat at which restaurant and what they would order, long before MM+ came along. You don't need advance reservations to determine those numbers with reasonable accuracy; Disney has decades of park history to judge things like that.

Advance dining reservations aren't really going to eliminate waste, since allowing for seasonal variations and the like, you already know about how many of each entree you are going to sell (probably about the same number you sold to a similar crowd level last week or last month). Even in busy restaurants where advance reservations are useful due to demand, you could achieve the same thing with reservations made one day or one week prior; Deciding whats for dinner six months ahead of time is just silly.
It is not just food it has to do with staffing as well. And it is not silly. Marketing and Logistics are very important to any business. Yes Disney has past performance but as in the stock market, past performance does not guarantee future success. This gives them actual numbers to work with not just speculation. They are banking on this, thus the Billion dollar investment. Plus, why pay for employees to work if your numbers tell you, you don't need them. But wait, last year at this time we did. What are you going to follow, what happened in the past or what your numbers from the new system is telling you?

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
As I do not work over at Celebration Place, Nor do I live anywhere near there, I do have a degree in Marketing and see what this is all about. I am sorry that you had issues. I did not when I went. Unfortunately for you more people, than not, have had great to good experiences with this and Disney is going to implement it. I am sorry you didn't and Disney has lost its Magic for you. Hopefully one day it will return.

UNLIKELY in the extreme. If you are in marketing you understand that you don't go out of your way to annoy your best customers as customer retention is far cheaper than finding new ones.

The short version Disney is having problems linking their most expensive ticket media the Premier Pass (gives admission to both WDW and DL) to MDE, When I was there I spent 2 hours PER DAY of vacation trying to get DW and My premier passes linked to MDE, Did I say I was staying in a Deluxe resort.

The best suggestion for which I wanted to reach through phone and choke the person on the other end was I should just buy a set of Magic My Way tickets and my problem would be 'solved'. Did I mention these tickets are $960 each annually.

It was like Disney's tech support was trying to me off - They succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.

Nubs70

It is not just food it has to do with staffing as well. And it is not silly. Marketing and Logistics are very important to any business. Yes Disney has past performance but as in the stock market, past performance does not guarantee future success. This gives them actual numbers to work with not just speculation. They are banking on this, thus the Billion dollar investment. Plus, why pay for employees to work if your numbers tell you, you don't need them. But wait, last year at this time we did. What are you going to follow, what happened in the past or what your numbers from the new system is telling you?
WDW is being run like a holding company that is striving to deliver products and services at Minimum Acceptable Quality (MAQ).

sweetpee_1993

I know it's not really that bad. I've used it.

It was ok. I have the same observations as many others.

1. I actually liked the bands, especially or water parks. However, my suspicion that my kid wouldn't want to keep hers on all day was correct, and it spent most of the trip in my pocket.

2. I don't like the 3 a day limit or the tiers.

3. I don't like the single park limit.

4. I despise that they have introduced the system to events that don't need it (like parades, fireworks, Fantasmic, Beauty and the Beast, FIGMENT!). I mean, really...talk about over complicating things. And, now I read people who are NOT regulars asking if they should FP Fantasmic or RNR...is that Really a decision? (Sigh)

5. I think most of the defenders of the system are toting things that already existed before the system as if they are new benefits. The KTTW acted as your room key, park charging, dining plan charging and your park tickets. So, any of those "benefits" should not be listed as "new", but people do. What they skip are some of the new benefits, like linking with Photopass/memory maker and the centralized FP kiosks.

So, yeah, I know it's not THAT bad...but, for the money invested, it isn't that great either.
For the money invested, it isn't that great either. BINGO!

And I'm in no way interested in learning the new system or dealing with it in any way. I do not wish to make ADRs or FP+ reservations 30, 60, 90, OR 120 days in advance. Straight up NO. But a new attraction, reimagined existing attraction, or even a new park for that matter woulda been cool beans. Definitely would've warranted a trip to see.

sweetpee_1993

I don't like waiting an hour for fireworks spot and more than I like waiting in line for an attraction for an hour. I don't think those things are not needed - in fact (until they screw it up) I think it's one of the better perks of the system.
Isn't this what you're supposed to call at whatever stupid pre-stay day # to pay money to reserve??? As in the dessert package thing? Just sayin'. You know I adore ya, Flynn. ;)

sweetpee_1993

As I do not work over at Celebration Place, Nor do I live anywhere near there, I do have a degree in Marketing and see what this is all about. I am sorry that you had issues. I did not when I went. Unfortunately for you more people, than not, have had great to good experiences with this and Disney is going to implement it. I am sorry you didn't and Disney has lost its Magic for you. Hopefully one day it will return.
How about people who take one look at the whole MM+ mess and have that "Oh hell no" moment before opting to vacation elsewhere? Disney is so grossly over complicating vacation. I'm planning my first trip to DL because we want to return to parks WITHOUT any of the MM+ micro-managing. I'm curious to see how the full roll out will impact DL's numbers. I've never seen such a flooding of noobs running west. Seriously!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
How about people who take one look at the whole MM+ mess and have that "Oh hell no" moment before opting to vacation elsewhere? Disney is so grossly over complicating vacation. I'm planning my first trip to DL because we want to return to parks WITHOUT any of the MM+ micro-managing. I'm curious to see how the full roll out will impact DL's numbers. I've never seen such a flooding of noobs running west. Seriously!
You make an excellent point. I was talking with my mother (who slept in a Figgy nightshirt until the thing fell apart, she loves Disney, as does my Dad), and I mentioned FP+ and MM+ regarding the planning of a future trip, and I could hear her suck her teeth over the phone.

Her perspective is, it is a lot of money to go, but it's no longer an experience or a treat. It's a chore. The whole thing is a chore to experience some nostalgia.

And, I don't think she's far off.

EpcoTim

I'm trying to understand what, this, post, is supposed to mean, and how, it is, unfortunate, for him.

sweetpee_1993

You make an excellent point. I was talking with my mother (who slept in a Figgy nightshirt until the thing fell apart, she loves Disney, as does my Dad), and I mentioned FP+ and MM+ regarding the planning of a future trip, and I could hear her suck her teeth over the phone.

Her perspective is, it is a lot of money to go, but it's no longer an experience or a treat. It's a chore. The whole thing is a chore to experience some nostalgia.

And, I don't think she's far off.
Your mother and I would get along famously. For that kinda moolah I can think of a LOT of other vacations that are equally or more interesting that I don't have to micro-manage.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
What is the "experience"? In terms of room charges, parking etc it's the difference between a card and now a wrist band. A convenient change that I like. If you are talking about FP+, then we are talking about having the ability to pre-plan when to ride 3 rides out of a park full of rides. If I am not mistaken, UNI offers something similar to guests that stay at their resort hotels now, and there is no outcry over that. It's a business model that WDW decided to implement to encourage and reward guests staying at their hotels...

Look, I'm not trying to start a big debate, I am just one person who enjoyed my Magic Bands when I used them a month ago...I can't understand the outcry. That's all....

Gee and UNI's system you don't need a fastpass runner, a sweaty plastic band and it does not limit you to 3 rides per day, Allows you to ride whatever you want whenever you want, As a customer I know which one I would like to use and it's NOT Disney's

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Gee and UNI's system you don't need a fastpass runner, a sweaty plastic band and it does not limit you to 3 rides per day, Allows you to ride whatever you want whenever you want, As a customer I know which one I would like to use and it's NOT Disney's
Correct. Express pass is like the unlimited fastpasses that people who pay for the tour guides, etc...get.

You basically have FP all day at every ride (with a few exceptions).

Magenta Panther

The comments on there are more negative than they are on here.

Maybe this site isn't just a bunch of doom-and-gloomers after all?

For shame! We are Disney lovers. We expect great things of Disney because Uncle Walt taught us to. And Iger and his Dawes Tomes Mousley Grubbs Board of Directors ought to thank their wishing stars that we do. It's the Disney magic that keeps most of us hoping for better times, better things on the horizon. If I didn't still admire Walt and love the truly Disney things in the parks, I'd go to Universal instead, every single damn time I'm in Florida. Walt's the glue for me. Period.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Disney, much like any other company, was able to closely estimate the number of guests who would be in the parks on any given day, or how many would eat at which restaurant and what they would order, long before MM+ came along. You don't need advance reservations to determine those numbers with reasonable accuracy; Disney has decades of park history to judge things like that.

Advance dining reservations aren't really going to eliminate waste, since allowing for seasonal variations and the like, you already know about how many of each entree you are going to sell (probably about the same number you sold to a similar crowd level last week or last month). Even in busy restaurants where advance reservations are useful due to demand, you could achieve the same thing with reservations made one day or one week prior; Deciding whats for dinner six months ahead of time is just silly.

This is the same system which allows Gasparilla's to run out of snacks for guests staying at the most expensive property at WDW, After all we can't have unsold chips lying about if the guests wanted them they should have brought their own. Resource planning my A--

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Correct. Express pass is like the unlimited fastpasses that people who pay for the tour guides, etc...get.

You basically have FP all day at every ride (with a few exceptions).

And I'd argue it's a much more guest friendly system, If you stay at the planned Value resort you will not receive this perk but OTOH the new value is supposed to be < $100/Day And I'm sure UNI will come up with a perk for the Value folks as well.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
And I'd argue it's a much more guest friendly system, If you stay at the planned Value resort you will not receive this perk but OTOH the new value is supposed to be < $100/Day And I'm sure UNI will come up with a perk for the Value folks as well.
Or not. I have no issue with paying more to experience more. I do have issues with a theme park being run like an iPad app like Farmville, where everything is a "plus charge"...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
WDW is being run like a holding company that is striving to deliver products and services at Minimum Acceptable Quality (MAQ).

That's exactly how I see it and it fits with TWDC's corporate direction, TWDC sees itself as a IP licensing company having to deal with actual humans in the millions is a huge distraction for them. Unfortunately for fans they keep redefining the MAQ downward till these days it's almost unrecognizable from when it was the standard of the industry.

sweetpee_1993

Or not. I have no issue with paying more to experience more. I do have issues with a theme park being run like an iPad app like Farmville, where everything is a "plus charge"...
Don't sail on Royal Caribbean. Unless you get the premium alcohol package or better. There is a point where the drinks tip you into who cares territory. Heeeeeyyyy!!! Maybe THIS is what WDW needs!!!!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Recall that you get the FOTL pass free if you stay at their Deluxe hotels run by Lowes and are actually worthy of the name. Its available in a more limited version for purchase, But Disney these days pretty much everything is an upcharge of one form or another for stuff that used to be free.

Remember the 'Behind the Seeds' tour at EPCOT that was free up until a couple years ago, There are other examples.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Don't sail on Royal Caribbean. Unless you get the premium alcohol package or better. There is a point where the drinks tip you into who cares territory. Heeeeeyyyy!!! Maybe THIS is what WDW needs!!!!
Drunkytown?

I have been following your TR, but haven't checked in on it for a bit. Was it really that much worse? For the price I was considering that I could do a few adventurous cruises with the kiddo a year vs doing a Disney one...but, I've heard mixed reviews.

I cherish your opinion, as I think we have similar tastes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom