Official WDW Facebook page opens the floodgates to MyMagic+ comments

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Wow, when you put it like that, it sounds really bad. In reality though, it's really not.
People are just exaggerating to make it sound bad. Mind you, I know there have been some problems, but for guests, the system works well and without any issue whatsoever. In fact, I would have a hard time calling it a "beta test", it's practically in production now.
I know it's not really that bad. I've used it.

It was ok. I have the same observations as many others.

1. I actually liked the bands, especially or water parks. However, my suspicion that my kid wouldn't want to keep hers on all day was correct, and it spent most of the trip in my pocket.

2. I don't like the 3 a day limit or the tiers.

3. I don't like the single park limit.

4. I despise that they have introduced the system to events that don't need it (like parades, fireworks, Fantasmic, Beauty and the Beast, FIGMENT!). I mean, really...talk about over complicating things. And, now I read people who are NOT regulars asking if they should FP Fantasmic or RNR...is that Really a decision? (Sigh)

5. I think most of the defenders of the system are toting things that already existed before the system as if they are new benefits. The KTTW acted as your room key, park charging, dining plan charging and your park tickets. So, any of those "benefits" should not be listed as "new", but people do. What they skip are some of the new benefits, like linking with Photopass/memory maker and the centralized FP kiosks.

So, yeah, I know it's not THAT bad...but, for the money invested, it isn't that great either.

SirLink

Can you explain why all my comments that it would be a good idea to give George a free vacation have been summarily ignored, Mr. Smarty Pants?

Disney isn't the second one, they are a send in the Astro-Turfers and let the leader addicts protect the Brand.

007mickey

I came back from WDW in December and participated in the Magic Band trial. Before I left for my trip, I used the MY Disney Experience website and App to make and confirm dinner reservations, choose my FP+ for a family of six, and plan other aspects of my trip. I was able to link my info to other family members without a problem. During my trip, my Magic band worked flawlessly as my resort entry for parking, my room key, my resort charge, and FP. I experienced no problems whatsoever and in fact, liked the convenience of having this tool readily accessible. I wore it all day at Blizzard Beach with no ill effects. At the MK, my daughter lost hers and with a quick trip to the customer service center at Town Square, we had a replacement ( in the same color! ) within 15 mins. The MY Disney Experience app for our IPhone provided up to the minute info on wait times and dining available. I would highly recommend the bands to anyone heading to WDW. So, my question to all of you is ( and please be kind..LOL ), what am I missing? Why all the hate towards the Magic Bands?

Hate is a strong word (although it might actually be a fit description for some on here). I think most just don't like the change (me included). My dislike stems from the FP+. My family used the bands in December and had no issues with them but then again, I didn't have issues with the KTTW card either. As many have stated, my issues are with the limit of 3 per day, the tiering of attractions, the one park per day, deciding times to ride 60 days out, more mobile device (or kiosk) dependent, etc. My only consolation to this is that every guest is on the same playing field. I'm sure changes will be made based on feedback but right now it's hard to find what FP+ has done to "increase my enjoyment" at the parks. Again, magic band, no problem...FP+, not my favorite.

raymusiccity

About as much as they should make out of it. Lots of people complaining about things they may have never used, don't understand, or used during a shaky testing period. If they feel like wading through to find only those comments that say "I used it..." then that might be helpful. Other than that, probably just as useful as a customer survey sent after the fact to known customers.

...sort of what happened to John Carter and The Lone Ranger. There were scores of negative comments before either film made it to the theaters. So many of the negative reviews were from people cut and pasting comments from 'critics' who seemed to have an agenda against anything that had a Disney logo attached to it.

ABQ

...sort of what happened to John Carter and The Lone Ranger. There were scores of negative comments before either film made it to the theaters. So many of the negative reviews were from people cut and pasting comments from 'critics' who seemed to have an agenda against anything that had a Disney logo attached to it.
It's sad how much a de facto smear campaign can hurt. I never saw John Carter, but the Lone Ranger, though not "zOMGTHEMOSTEPICMOVIEEVER!!!!!!" was not the steaming pile of turd that it was shown to be based upon average reviews.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
True! While I've yet to see Lone Ranger, I really enjoyed John Carter. Of course, my opinion kind of changed a little once I read the source material, reading the first 4 books of Burroughs Barsoom series made me more wish he would have come close to the original story. Still, the movie is a fun adventure film, and MUCH better than the critics would have lead you to believe. I feel Lone Ranger will be the same for me as well.

I've also used the MagicBands/FP+, had a near perfect "test", and thought they were a positive enhancement to my vacation. So, maybe I just am too forgiving or have bad taste or something ;)

Last edited:

rreading

I came back from WDW in December and participated in the Magic Band trial. Before I left for my trip, I used the MY Disney Experience website and App to make and confirm dinner reservations, choose my FP+ for a family of six, and plan other aspects of my trip. I was able to link my info to other family members without a problem. During my trip, my Magic band worked flawlessly as my resort entry for parking, my room key, my resort charge, and FP. I experienced no problems whatsoever and in fact, liked the convenience of having this tool readily accessible. I wore it all day at Blizzard Beach with no ill effects. At the MK, my daughter lost hers and with a quick trip to the customer service center at Town Square, we had a replacement ( in the same color! ) within 15 mins. The MY Disney Experience app for our IPhone provided up to the minute info on wait times and dining available. I would highly recommend the bands to anyone heading to WDW. So, my question to all of you is ( and please be kind..LOL ), what am I missing? Why all the hate towards the Magic Bands?

For those having technical issues or being thrown into an unexpected decision tree (having to make plans on the spot), I can see how some just liked things the way they were. Obviously for others, they can't imagine that it's worth the money spent.

Myself, I can't seem to find a list of the rides involved and which rides/experiences are in which tiers in which parks. It'd be nice to know what to reserve ahead of time, so that when it's my time to make a decision, I know what to decide.

I do have faith that it'll get better and hope that it'll be a good experience.

Figaro928

Rather than promoting it on Facebook - why not incorporate it into the dozen or so new commercials they've released.

Rather than airing grandpa singing Lion King's opening and showing his "DisneySide" advertise your new system. (BTW - I like grandpa singing. makes me giggle)

I think they have an OK product with horrible marketing of it. In the Disney Side commercials I'm pretty sure the families in the park aren't even wearing magic bands.

Make it sound cool on a commercial where the worst one can do is scream at the TV. Facebook is the wrong place to start with an ad for a so-so product.

ABQ

Make it sound cool on a commercial where the worst one can do is scream at the TV. Facebook is the wrong place to start with an ad for a so-so product.
Didn't they try that in that long form commercial that was the airing of the WDW Christmas Parade?

Figaro928

One has to look at the phenomenon of Negative Bias. Those who had a bad experience are far more likely to post a full blown comment about it on Disney's facebook page while those who had a positive experience are more likely to just hit the Like button and move on.

Exactly - same with ANY business. When I worked in the restrurant world we always said "If the guest had a great experience they'll mention it to one person. If the had a bad experience, they'll tell everybody"

Also, with Disney's MB & FP+, I think a lot of the negative experiences have to do more with the guests not knowing how to properly use the system - which is mostly Disney's fault.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Interesting comments on the FB page, but in line with what has been said in this forum...

I actually found the FB post below that one more ironic...

"Learn how to participate in a test of FP+ by staying at a Disney Resort Hotel!"

Ok...let's translate that.

"Pay us through the nose to use this system as a beta tester"

What a deal!
Isn't this the business moto of Microsoft?!

Best comment on there was "I hear people hate this, so I am gonna hate this"

Figaro928

Isn't this the business moto of Microsoft?!

Best comment on there was "I hear people hate this, so I am gonna hate this"
Gaston said it best....

We don't like what we don't...
understand and in fact it scares us,
and this monster is mysterious at least.
Bring your guns, bring your knives,
save children and and your wives,
so save our village and our lives!
LETS KILL THE BEAST!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I came back from WDW in December and participated in the Magic Band trial. The MY Disney Experience app for our IPhone provided up to the minute info on wait times and dining available. I would highly recommend the bands to anyone heading to WDW. So, my question to all of you is ( and please be kind..LOL ), what am I missing? Why all the hate towards the Magic Bands?

Because its not deployed to everyone who pays admission yet, therefore you got a different experience than those who paid the same or more for access to the park. Your experience will be different after its rolled out to everyone.

Voxel

Because its not deployed to everyone who pays admission yet, therefore you got a different experience than those who paid the same or more for access to the park. Your experience will be different after its rolled out to everyone.
Actually I was one of many people using the app who weren't on the magic band back in December. The app it self has a few ui/interface bug but works very well and was upto date letting us now rides broke down or when they were open again.

flynnibus

Premium Member
4. I despise that they have introduced the system to events that don't need it (like parades, fireworks, Fantasmic, Beauty and the Beast, FIGMENT!)

I don't like waiting an hour for fireworks spot and more than I like waiting in line for an attraction for an hour. I don't think those things are not needed - in fact (until they screw it up) I think it's one of the better perks of the system.

Voxel

I don't like waiting an hour for fireworks spot and more than I like waiting in line for an attraction for an hour. I don't think those things are not needed - in fact (until they screw it up) I think it's one of the better perks of the system.
I would agree with you here. It works well with World of Color in Disneyland. Some families care more about the night time show then other aspects of the park. IF I am at Epcot I have to see Illuminations more then I want to ride any of those rides. So if I wanna reserve a spot like someone reserves a ride I should be able to. The issue is with fastpass for those is there is not good place to place these people. It would be nice if their was some sort of view area that could be roped off without disturbing park flow. Similar to how World of Color viewing is done (Based on the photos I have seen)

crispy

I know it's not really that bad. I've used it.

It was ok. I have the same observations as many others.

1. I actually liked the bands, especially or water parks. However, my suspicion that my kid wouldn't want to keep hers on all day was correct, and it spent most of the trip in my pocket.

2. I don't like the 3 a day limit or the tiers.

3. I don't like the single park limit.

4. I despise that they have introduced the system to events that don't need it (like parades, fireworks, Fantasmic, Beauty and the Beast, FIGMENT!). I mean, really...talk about over complicating things. And, now I read people who are NOT regulars asking if they should FP Fantasmic or RNR...is that Really a decision? (Sigh)

5. I think most of the defenders of the system are toting things that already existed before the system as if they are new benefits. The KTTW acted as your room key, park charging, dining plan charging and your park tickets. So, any of those "benefits" should not be listed as "new", but people do. What they skip are some of the new benefits, like linking with Photopass/memory maker and the centralized FP kiosks.

So, yeah, I know it's not THAT bad...but, for the money invested, it isn't that great either.

I have used the system also (does that mean my opinion counts?), and I agree with your assessment. I would also add that it made getting into the parks and actually getting into the fastpass queue much more difficult. They spent a bundle of money on something that didn't improve my experience all that much (I did enjoy not running around at rope drop). I can't say that I am excited about that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom