OFFICIAL: PI As of 1/01/07 will be 21 and over

Epcot82Guy

I really believe this means the end of the PI dance clubs. I feel as if they are doing this on purpose so attendance drops and they can abandon them completly and rent out the space. This move will absolutly not bring in more locals. Most locals who are of age would not be going to PI for the dance clubs. I just don't understand why they wouldn't have made this move before they opened up PI to everyone. If they truly wanted a 21 and up place they should have kept it closed off. Lets be honest they are extremly outdated for the most part. The club scene has changed so much in the last few years and PI has been left far behind. Lately there have been so many 18-20 year olds in the clubs because they have no where else to go and for an 18 year old on vacation PI is actually pretty cool. However, for anyone over 21 there are so many better options. If Disney is truly serious about having clubs that atract the over 21 crowd they need outside help. They need to rent this space out to established clubs out of Miami, New York or Vegas. This would draw more locals , tourists and the huge Orlando convention crowd.

I have to point out a few little problems in here. First, the cities you have cited are very different venues. People do not really go to clubs there to "have fun"; it's a status option. It is a see and be seen situation. Then, the clubs that do not have that attitude exist by not being "those clubs". Orlando will never have that. While Vegas may be a "vacation destination", a largely significant portion is the weekend LA and SF crowd that treat it as an extension of their own hometowns. O-Town is a family destination and, when it comes down to it, not a large city. Furthermore, it has two crowds: the local city dwellers, the majority of which have a very tough time getting to WDW physically. The second is the vacationers (not for a week, but longer). It does not really have the young professional/ubanite crowds that fuel the Miami, NY, and Vegas scenes. Just look at the clubs downtown; they don't last that long.

But, I don't think that means the end of the dance clubs. What I would sooner see would be a reduction in their number. If you take out RnRBC and Motion or BET, you would concentrate the numbers of people. It also would open up some space for additional venues that would round out the offerings. A solid martini bar, a sushi/sake bar, a wine tasting room, the bowling alley idea, a sports bar. There are a lot of options that would diversity PI a bit without changing its club atmosphere.

The other benefit would be that, if they reduce the number of clubs, they should, therefore, reduce the admission price as well. I think people would pay $14 to have access to BET, a revamped 8 Trax, AC, CW, and Mannequins.

PhotoDave219

I'm just tired of running into little children when i'm enjoying a nicce, adult night out.

Leave your rugrats at home; It's called tequilla and Damm if it's not tastey.

The Mom

Premium Member
I'm just tired of running into little children when i'm enjoying a nicce, adult night out.

Leave your rugrats at home; It's called tequilla and Damm if it's not tastey.

I guess it depends upon your definition of "little." :lol: I apologize if The Son ruined your evening. :lookaroun I know HE had a great time. ;)

Rosso11

You may have to chalk this up to different strokes. I think if I were single and lived nearby, I'd probably have an annual pass to PI and go quite often for various reasons. First of all, I do enjoy standup/improv, and it'd be great to be able to essentially have two comedy/cabaret clubs right next door to each other, and then have the option of going dancing if I were so inclined (while still also being close to so many restaurants and a multiplex). The security & atmosphere there, while not ideal, would probably be suitable to keep out most local dealers and gangs.

I absolutly agree with you when it comes to the comedy club and adventure club. Those two right there is well worth an annual pass alone. So if your buying it for those its worth it. However, for the dance clubs alone I'm not so sure.

Rosso11

I have to point out a few little problems in here. First, the cities you have cited are very different venues. People do not really go to clubs there to "have fun"; it's a status option. It is a see and be seen situation. Then, the clubs that do not have that attitude exist by not being "those clubs". Orlando will never have that. While Vegas may be a "vacation destination", a largely significant portion is the weekend LA and SF crowd that treat it as an extension of their own hometowns. O-Town is a family destination and, when it comes down to it, not a large city. Furthermore, it has two crowds: the local city dwellers, the majority of which have a very tough time getting to WDW physically. The second is the vacationers (not for a week, but longer). It does not really have the young professional/ubanite crowds that fuel the Miami, NY, and Vegas scenes. Just look at the clubs downtown; they don't last that long.

But, I don't think that means the end of the dance clubs. What I would sooner see would be a reduction in their number. If you take out RnRBC and Motion or BET, you would concentrate the numbers of people. It also would open up some space for additional venues that would round out the offerings. A solid martini bar, a sushi/sake bar, a wine tasting room, the bowling alley idea, a sports bar. There are a lot of options that would diversity PI a bit without changing its club atmosphere.

I understand what your getting at but I don't agree with you that you don't go to clubs in those cities for fun. I have a blast all the time. I'm not expecting Disney to have ultra trendy clubs with an extremly strict door policy. That simply wouldn't work. However, the clubs at PI need drastic improvements and updates.

I also agree with you about taking out a club and it should be RnRBC. In my opinion it should be broken into a few distinct bars like the ones you suggested. One should have live music so the few RnRBC fans would have a new home. I really wish they would build a true beer bar at PI. If anyone is familiar with the Ginger Man in New York you know what I mean. I believe they have some additional location around the country. This would be a bar with hundreds of beers from around the world. If you look at Epcot people love trying the beers from different countries. With the huge numbers of international tourists I think this would be a huge hit.

Victor

Wait, according to your profile you are exactly 21 years old. Were you that surprised that you got stopped?

Yeah actually I was surprised. Even though I'm 21, I rarely, if ever, get carded. Plus, I had a full grown beard at the time and my girlfriend is 23. Not saying I was upset by it or anything, but they needed to have some kind of bracelet that you get at the gate identifying you as 21+, like many places do. It makes things easier for everyone.

Yanks07

So real quick, 19 and 17 yr. old boys with Mom and Dad are OK at AC and CW?? (Allowed in I should say). This is a long thread and I did not read all of the posts.

Castle Cake Apologist

I'm glad my "rumor" has finally been confirmed. I was so excited when I posted this as I really don't like the under 21 crowd. I was one of those guys years ago, but wasn't allowed in Mannequins which was the main draw, for one "group" at least, so why bother really?

Also, how many 18-21 year olds, on VACATION, would go to PI to hang out? I think anyone who went in this age bracket were locals.

Uhm... I was there nearly every night of our last two week vacation.

This kind of es me off, as I'll be doing the CP next year and now I won't be allowed into Mannequins?

JLW11Hi

Yeah actually I was surprised. Even though I'm 21, I rarely, if ever, get carded. Plus, I had a full grown beard at the time and my girlfriend is 23. Not saying I was upset by it or anything, but they needed to have some kind of bracelet that you get at the gate identifying you as 21+, like many places do. It makes things easier for everyone.

See, that seems like a better idea than closing off the place to everyone under 21. Just show your ID at the gate and get a wristband. I notice that most of the complaints have been geared toward really young children in PI. I can see closing the place off to, maybe, the under 18 crowd or something, but I do think it will kinda blow for the under-21 CMs, and especially the CPs who are there for only a few months.

When I did the college program, I was about 19 and I went to the PI clubs often. Maybe they should be a little more lenient with the rules for the cast members...?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
:sohappy: Under-age should NOT be in nightclubs. It's a pain in the rear for bar employees and nothing but a liability issue. It's about time that they laid back down the law.

Whine about it all you want, but once you turn of age you might see it differently.

PI was not built as the private playground of CP anyway, why do you think so many CP get sent home early?

JLW11Hi

:sohappy: Under-age should NOT be in nightclubs. It's a pain in the rear for bar employees and nothing but a liability issue. It's about time that they laid back down the law.

Whine about it all you want, but once you turn of age you might see it differently.

PI was not built as the private playground of CP anyway, why do you think so many CP get sent home early?

I am 21. I still feel bad for the underage CMs. Its one of the most popular perks for the college programers.

eehh....i'm torn. This summer, my best friend and I took a trip to Disney and spent a night at PI. Both of us being 18, I suppose we were those annoying teenagers that a lot of you can't stand. But on the other hand, we knew we were underage and didn't even attempt to get any alcohol. We were just there to dance and have fun.

I completely understand the need to get rid of the little children who obviously don't belong there. But Disney at night is kind of tricky when you get to the 18-20 age group. After a park is closed, and it's about 10 o'clock what is there to do? Sure we took advantage of the hotel pool, but after a while that can get a tad bit old. PI was a good alternative to just get out at night. And I understand that not every club is going 21+, but what about those who just want to dance and have fun, but can't because they're under 21?

I see the liability issues and the like, and how annoying it is for security to deal with underage drinking, but the bracelets mentioned before could be really helpful. I just think that being between 18-20 kind of stinks nowadays. You're stuck in limbo. I could go on a whole 21 is too high of a drinking age tirade (even though I actually don't like to drink) but I'll save that for another time.

quasi-rant over

Thelazer

Another nail in the coffin.

Remember, the street is still open to all guests! You WILL still see the 2-yearolds with mommy in tow, all over the place. In fact, as more leased retail opens up on the Island you'll see MORE of it. As it goes, another club will soon close and those that are left will struggle along untill there time comes as well.

Sooner or later we will hear the place is getting a name change.

I said it years ago, anyone care to belive me now?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom