Official: Captain EO Returns to DL

Horizons1

I would love to see look on all these die-hards if they were to ever realize how many Disney movies have people in them that have done horrible things. :ROFLOL:

_Scar

Whether they put EO in Epcot or not, it's going to be a very popular offering at Disneyland for 2010. And I doubt Disneyland Security will allow MJ critics to preach about his sins to the extended queue of people waiting to get into the theater in Tomorrowland. :lol:

Of course they won't. All they're concerened about is getting the locals to come and see it and buy something. They don't care that it may offend a lot of people- as long as they get money $$.

And all these people you compare MJ to don't even come close to MJ's accusations. Not even remotely close.

WDW1974

I don't think the thread needs to be shut, we've all got our opinions and it's fun to debate them. :wave:

Of course it shouldn't be shut down. Discussion isn't unless you have debate ... even if it often gets inanne in these parts.

But something tells me the argument will be moot when I go to Disneyland in February and see a HUGE line for Captain EO, at a theater that hasn't had any sort of line since EO left in '97. HISTA was never very popular, even when it opened at Disneyland in 1998. And now it plays to near-empty theaters in an otherwise very busy theme park.

I don't think the strong possibility that EO will open to large lines in Anaheim is justification for it opening again there, yet alone here.

The bottom line is it's a tired old tacky film starring someone who just died under unusual circumstances and had a very strange lifestyle when he was alive (and that's leaving out the charges of sexual issues with children that may or may not be true).

How this somehow fits what should be placed in any Disney park in 2010 is crazy.

So, HISTA sucks and is tired. Fine. Replace it with something NEW.

The fact that in the media and entertainment capital of the world, a bunch of pop music fans and OC teen fanbois who are way too young to recall most of MJ's career to begin with would like to see EO in a theme park isn't a good reason for doing it.

Again, it's all about the money and marketing something old as new again.

It's a bad trend. Whether folks line up or not.

Whether they put EO in Epcot or not, it's going to be a very popular offering at Disneyland for 2010. And I doubt Disneyland Security will allow MJ critics to preach about his sins to the extended queue of people waiting to get into the theater in Tomorrowland. :lol:

Oh, free speech ends at DLR?

I guess no heated debates ever happen at the HoP or AA ... well, I'm reasonably sure I've ticked off a few rednecks in the past at those shows with comments in the pre-show or while exiting. And I do think I ruined someone magical WDW vacation at DAK Villas the other day when I cracked a few jokes about my beloved Sarah The Moosehunter while rocking in a chair near one of the savannahs (actually, someone told me one of the dudes 'looked like he wanted to kill you' ... and I felt like my work here is done!):ROFLOL::xmas::ROFLOL:

So, if Disney reopens EO they better well expect that some folks will be in line taking shots at him in less than magical (and quite colorful) terms.

And it just isn't needed.:xmas:

EPCOT Explorer

THRILLED!:sohappy::lol:

If this makes it's way to EPCOT, I'll be there. While it does not fit the theme, and is outdated, this is a huuuuge exception. It's piece of Park History come back, and a good tribute to fantastic entertainer. :D

*dons Flame suit....*:lol:

dxwwf3

So, HISTA sucks and is tired. Fine. Replace it with something NEW.

But what is that NEW thing going to be? MILF, as it is rumored? If so, I'd rather watch EO no question. MILF isn't terrible, but it's a see it one time and forget it attraction.

_Scar

If this makes it's way to EPCOT, I'll be there. While it does not fit the theme, and is outdated, this is a huuuuge exception. It's piece of Park History come back, and a good tribute to fantastic entertainer. :D

Not very futuristic of Future World to go back in time. I don't buy this "exception". :lol:

TP2000

It fits in disneyland more than it does epcot.
It will be an attraction for "local guests" to see at Disneyland, but has no place in the world. Especially if they are redoing imagination.

Just ride it out with HISTA, putting a more than 20 year old attraction is just uncalled for, it wont even fit with the theming of "The imagination institute".

A question for anyone out there who may remember...

How did they theme Captain EO to the Imaginagion pavilion during its original 1986-94 run at Epcot? Was there a special themed pre-show that explained its reason for being at Kodak's Journey Into Imagination pavilion back then?

Was the only connection to the pavilion simply the 3-D trick of photography and thus a connection to corporate sponsor Kodak? Or was there some specific Epcot pre-show plot laid out for why a fantasy space MTV music video belonged with Dreamfinder and Figment and the Imageworks? :confused:

WDW1974

Sorry, EE. You know I respect you a lot.

But you're falling victim to the nostalgia factor, and that is the polar opposite of what EPCOT is all about.

It's not an exception. And it's not a good tribute to MJ as it is some of his lesser work. Has no place at EPCOT in 2010 and I doubt it will wind up there.

It's also not Disney's place to do tributes to dead entertainers.

Roy Disney just died and you won't see an attraction dedicated to him opening.

It's just wrong on so many levels ... oh, and hope you're having a magical time at WDW! :xmas::xmas::xmas:

WDW1974

But what is that NEW thing going to be? MILF, as it is rumored? If so, I'd rather watch EO no question. MILF isn't terrible, but it's a see it one time and forget it attraction.

That's just a rumor at this point, although I could see it happening.

But that has nothing at all to do with the decision on bringing back EO. Momma always said two wrongs don't make a right.:xmas:

dxwwf3

But you're falling victim to the nostalgia factor

So what? Disneyland's new Lincoln show appealed to nostalgia and I have heard nothing but great things about it. Disneyland fans shouldn't be the only ones who get bones thrown their way.

It's not an exception. And it's not a good tribute to MJ as it is some of his lesser work. Has no place at EPCOT in 2010 and I doubt it will wind up there.

I think it is some of his best work. That is an opinion.

Attractions the quality of SGE, American Idol Experience, and the Spaceship Earth finale have no place in WDW, but they are there. At least EO is something that had time, effort and money put into it. And to me, it was a very successful film.

_Scar

So what? Disneyland's new Lincoln show appealed to nostalgia and I have heard nothing but great things about it. Disneyland fans shouldn't be the only ones who get bones thrown their way.

But they redid the major part of the attraction- the Lincoln AA. They can't do much too much for EO.

TP2000

Oh, free speech ends at DLR?

I guess no heated debates ever happen at the HoP or AA ... well, I'm reasonably sure I've ticked off a few rednecks in the past at those shows with comments in the pre-show or while exiting. And I do think I ruined someone magical WDW vacation at DAK Villas the other day when I cracked a few jokes about my beloved Sarah The Moosehunter while rocking in a chair near one of the savannahs (actually, someone told me one of the dudes 'looked like he wanted to kill you' ... and I felt like my work here is done!):ROFLOL::xmas::ROFLOL:

I'm sure some folks will talk privately about MJ's past scandals while waiting for EO. I was referring to any public disturbances, flier distribution, public protests, etc.

I don't think there is anyone who has ever voted in a federal election who would not be a fan of at least one or two of the men portrayed on the stage at Hall of Presidents. That concept of disagreement is not exclusive to either the left or right sides of the political spectrum.

However, I value the wonderful diversity of the folks in the theater with me who may have voted for someone else, as well as the bigger concept of what the robots on the stage represent, to not make any impolite comment in a purposeful attempt to denigrate my fellow American voters leaving the show. :lol:

dxwwf3

But they redid the major part of the attraction- the Lincoln AA. They can't do much too much for EO.

They COULD upgrade in theater effects and use the motion seats from HISTA, but I'm sure they aren't going to go to that amount of trouble for something that is only going to be around for less than a year.

Lincoln was built to last a long time, EO will be put together to please fans and get people through the turnstiles.

WDW1974

You're seriously not comparing a ground-breaking attraction like Lincoln to Eo, are you?

Lincoln, btw, is simply a redo/updating. Much like HoP. It was removed (hidden actually) only for the 50th Anniversary show/exhibit. That lasted a bit longer than planned, but was still temporary and in Anaheim that means something unlike O-Town (see Big Hat!)

I think it is some of his best work. That is an opinion.

I don't. But you are right. But that's not why it doesn't belong.

Attractions the quality of SGE, American Idol Experience, and the Spaceship Earth finale have no place in WDW, but they are there. At least EO is something that had time, effort and money put into it. And to me, it was a very successful film.

Again, your opinions. I'd certainly agree about Stitch. Agree partially about SSE and (shockingly) not agree at all about Idol.

But EO is a different animal. It had its day. It left, rightly. And has no place at DL (or EPCOT) today except possibly as a DVD on a shop rack.
:xmas:

WDW1974

I'm sure some folks will talk privately about MJ's past scandals while waiting for EO. I was referring to any public disturbances, flier distribution, public protests, etc.

I don't think there is anyone who has ever voted in a federal election who would not be a fan of at least one or two of the men portrayed on the stage at Hall of Presidents. That concept of disagreement is not exclusive to either the left or right sides of the political spectrum.

However, I value the wonderful diversity of the folks in the theater with me who may have voted for someone else, as well as the bigger concept of what the robots on the stage represent, to not make any impolite comment in a purposeful attempt to denigrate my fellow American voters leaving the show. :lol:

True. I value diversity greatly and hate all sides/political parties/ races/religions/etc equally.

I'm a very fair and balanced Spirit! :eek::drevil::xmas:

EPCOT Explorer

Sorry, EE. You know I respect you a lot.

But you're falling victim to the nostalgia factor, and that is the polar opposite of what EPCOT is all about.

It's also not Disney's place to do tributes to dead entertainers.

Roy Disney just died and you won't see an attraction dedicated to him opening.

It's just wrong on so many levels ... oh, and hope you're having a magical time at WDW! :xmas::xmas::xmas:
And you know that respectful disagreement will never bother me!:wave:

I would argue that YES, I am going for nostalgia here, because, in the end, that's at the core of the Disney experience. Even in EPCOT. Disney plays on those emotions, uses them, and blends them to produce the effect desired.

I don't see how this being some of his lesser work makes it any less of a tribute. Captain EO does have it's place in MJ's litany of projects and is known well by the public. See the hilarious Family Guy clip for reference. :lol:

I could argue that if it's not Disney's place, what is the place? I think it would be fitting.

Roy Disney? He does have his window, but that's a totally different kind of celebrity. MJ was someone people "knew" and was more active in a persons life. Music does that. The famous nephew of a businessman/entertainer is very different.

Fantasmic time in WDW.:cool: Whoooole write up coming soon.

dxwwf3

You're seriously not comparing a ground-breaking attraction like Lincoln to Eo, are you?

Lincoln, btw, is simply a redo/updating. Much like HoP. It was removed (hidden actually) only for the 50th Anniversary show/exhibit. That lasted a bit longer than planned, but was still temporary and in Anaheim that means something unlike O-Town
Of course I'm comparing them. The new Lincoln show is using the original Dano recordings with Frees narrations. Definitley a nostalgic tone to the update.

You're seriously not comparing a ground-breaking attraction like Lincoln to Eo, are you? And has no place at DL (or EPCOT) today except possibly as a DVD on a shop rack.
:xmas:

The better question is your not seriously comparing Abraham Lincoln's History to MJ's?

I can live with them selling a copy on dvd, adding a "new" show, thats what they will advertise it as, will only prolong the much needed imagination refurb.

Not adding EO back in epcot is a no brainer for me. Could care less about disneyland:ROFLOL:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Not that I'm really trying hard to bump this thread, but I just read that Honey I Shrunk the Kids will be down from February 15 to March 27. Is this a refurb, or would it be to install the Captain EO show?

I also read that Test Track will be down for a week in January as well, from the 11th to the 17th.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom