Obnoxious Park Visitor Stories

the-reason14

I had an issue on my last trip with a group of 4 preteen boys who were left by themselves on BTMRR. No parents, older siblings, guardians in sight.

These boys sat in front of me in the first two cars on the train and spit the entire time so that it flew back and hit me and others in the face. Not just little amounts either. Like they were getting mouths full of spit.

When I got really angry and wanted to strangle them, they just laughed...

Oh Lord no. That is really stupid right there. If that happened to me, I would've been like, "Uh, yall need to stop that **** because you're hitting me" That should have stopped them. If it didnt, I probly would have smacked em upside the head.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Oh Lord no. That is really stupid right there. If that happened to me, I would've been like, "Uh, yall need to stop that **** because you're hitting me" That should have stopped them. If it didnt, I probly would have smacked em upside the head.

I wanted to slap them, cuss them out, find their parents and kick them in the teeth for allowing this. At age 10ish, no group of boys should be left completely alone. Not for safety reasons, but because we all know what 10 y/o boys are like. :rolleyes:

Instead, I got really, really mad, and did nothing about it b/c I didn't want to ruin my vacation any further. I did keep an eye out for them with their parents for the rest of the day though. I would have said something to them, not that it would have mattered I'm sure.

the-reason14

I wanted to slap them, cuss them out, find their parents and kick them in the teeth for allowing this. At age 10ish, no group of boys should be left completely alone. Not for safety reasons, but because we all know what 10 y/o boys are like. :rolleyes:

Instead, I got really, really mad, and did nothing about it b/c I didn't want to ruin my vacation any further. I did keep an eye out for them with their parents for the rest of the day though. I would have said something to them, not that it would have mattered I'm sure.

Well in a way its good that you were able to shake it off and not allow it to ruin your vacation.

MrsDigger

My husband and I began going to WDW in the very early 1980's -- prior to the birth of our children. We continued through the "childless" years, through the baby years, to the present -- one child is 17 and the other is 12. We try to go at least once a year. There are "obnoxious" episodes each trip that are mostly forgotten as the days go on; however, there is one incident that happened at Epcot in the mid 1980's that has stayed with us both. Evidently a very young boy had misplaced the family camera. His mother, in a very loud, long tirade, berated the child for all to hear. His loving mother called him every name in the book and had the child in tears, sitting red-faced on a bench while she told him how worthless he was. What a lovely memory that poor child has of his trip to the happiest place on earth. Mom and the others in her party had British accents, so it was possibly a one-time "trip of a lifetime". As all parents know, stuff happens and things get broken or lost; however, they are just "things". In the large scheme of things, what is more important, that camera or the memories stored by that little child. That child is probably in his late 20's or early 30's and each year that we enter that area of Epcot, we mention him and wonder how he is making out in life.

cmatt

That's why I think everyone should work in a customer service environment for 6 months to experience what it's like. Oh I know it won't change everything (some of my co-workers...:brick: ), but maybe it might create a greater awareness of what such a job truly entails. An example- I was at Hersheypark last month, and one of the workers asked me what time it was. When I told her she said, "That's it"? I looked at her and sympathetically said, "Sorry", and smiled. That kind of empahty. Because I know what that's like.

We are human. That may come as a shock to some, but we are humans.

totally aggree here... although ive only ever worked in retail customer service part time... i still deal with rude people EVERY day as an i.t support officer - and if it wasnt for a retail background id of gone nuts by now! Problem is however you see the person that was rude you the day before over and over again, and not be tempted to er... accidentally *delete* their work :goodnevil

pinjim

Having young children and knowing the effect and result of ToT, I usually have to ride it by myself. Last visit to WDW was in line with a family of 5, and through conversation, found out the 3 kids were 6, 4, and 3.
Now, I know each parent can make their own judgement, but this family had to clue to ToT, other than, we drop down, which is obvious from standing in line.
Well, despite my urging not to ride, I'm sure the two youngest kept mom and dad awake that night and probably several more nights, because after the ride was over, I myself was ready to cry from seeing the kids' reaction ... they were totally overwhelmed.

Having young children and knowing the effect and result of ToT, I usually have to ride it by myself. Last visit to WDW was in line with a family of 5, and through conversation, found out the 3 kids were 6, 4, and 3.
Now, I know each parent can make their own judgement, but this family had to clue to ToT, other than, we drop down, which is obvious from standing in line.
Well, despite my urging not to ride, I'm sure the two youngest kept mom and dad awake that night and probably several more nights, because after the ride was over, I myself was ready to cry from seeing the kids' reaction ... they were totally overwhelmed.

OMG that's just not right! >.< NO ONE should ever force kids that young on Tower of Terror! Splash Mountain maybe, Tower of Terror NEVER (I say Splash Mountain because I was five or six when my dad tricked me onto going on the ride and I loved it *giggles*)!

The most obnoxious thing at WDW is parents with babies who they can't stop from crying! Why are these people even in the park...it's a baby for crying out loud. They aren't going to remember anything about the trip, and their constant crying annoys the heck out of anyone within 200 feet of them. Do us a favor, stay away from WDW until your kid can walk! Thanks! :)

I'm assuming that once you have children of your own, regardless of how far in advance you've booked your trip, and the ages of other children in your group, you will also abide by this rule? Thanks.

mikebrakes

The thing I hate the most is people who walk right in front of me when I'm trying to videotape something. They look right at me videotaping, there is plenty of room behind me to walk around, more room behind me than in front, yet they still walk right in front of me - looking at my video camera as they pass. Happens often.

Several years ago I was taping the Main Street Electrical Parade and a girl about ten to twelve years old kept pushing on the ropes, reaching out as far as she could, right in front of me trying to videotape the parade, and waved at every float that passed by. Her mother saw what she was doing and just stood there. I don't know why she felt the need to frantically wave at every float, but she did. The entire parade. :brick:

cmatt

The thing I hate the most is people who walk right in front of me when I'm trying to videotape something. They look right at me videotaping, there is plenty of room behind me to walk around, more room behind me than in front, yet they still walk right in front of me - looking at my video camera as they pass. Happens often.

Several years ago I was taping the Main Street Electrical Parade and a girl about ten to twelve years old kept pushing on the ropes, reaching out as far as she could, right in front of me trying to videotape the parade, and waved at every float that passed by. Her mother saw what she was doing and just stood there. I don't know why she felt the need to frantically wave at every float, but she did. The entire parade. :brick:

works both ways my friend :wave: - although im NOT ACCUSING you of it, you do get some park goers who just stop in the middle of the pedestrian area and setup their camera and expect everyone to move. Then get irrate because some people have no choice but to walk infront of the camera. Alot of people no matter what they are doing believe the park is theirs.... and everyone else is a nuiscence. But sometimes they are being the ones that are creating problems :hammer:

The Mom

Premium Member

After stopping a hundred times to allow people to take photos, and readjusting my route just as many times for people videotaping, I finally get to a point where I say ENOUGH! I'm just going to keep walking to reach my destination taking the most logical path. I would never purposely walk in front of someone doing either, but when 99% of the people are taking photos, etc. it becomes impossible to avoid them all.

I'm sorry if that offends some people.

Pixie_Pirate

Either I read this wrong, or this is the most insane sentence I've ever seen.

Anyway, I hate when you see/hear somone yelling and screaming at someone else (generally a parent to kid). I mean, good God, I know you need to settle an issue or whatever, but you don't have to ruin the experience with whoever you're with, along with anybody that goes by.

Totally not what I was talking about.
But i know what you're saying.
It breaks my heart.

Karolena

A general pet peeve of mine is when parents try to force their small children on rides that they don't want to go on. Last year there was a father with a young daughter in front of us in the Mission: Space line and the daughter was wailing the whole way through the line (for at least an hour). We finally got into the ride and by then she was kicking and screaming so a cast member asked them to leave. Then the dad started yelling at the cast member, holding up the whole ride. I also hate it when you're holding onto the railings in line and you suddenly run your hand through spit; that seems to happen to me at least once per trip.

Okay, this actually a good thing, but I want to say it.

Last February we went on Haunted Mansion and there was a little boy, maybe 4 or 5, and he was with his dad. We'll it was already nighttime, so I think the ride immediately seems a little scarier and he had obviously never been on the ride. So, the little boy was crying and his father kept trying to get him to ride the ride. Not in a bad obnoxiou way, but in a sweet way. They ended up getting off right after the pre-show. But in a world of obnoxious parents and kids I thought this was great.

I actually wanted to tell the boy that everything was going to be okay and that if the ghosts scare you to bop them on the head, just like my father told me when I first rode it. (I was 3). Hey, almost 19, and I still bop the ghosts on the head.

Sorry, that was a long and non-related post, but I wanted to put it somewhere.

Karolena

Reading alot of these makes me embarassed to be a teenage girl. Though I think my sister and I were never that bad or annoying, maybe we were raised better.

The last trip I had I was waiting for Dream Along with Mickey and I heard one of the most surprising things. I don't know if this qualifies as obnoxious, but it really upset me. It was really cold when we went, I'm talking 30s or 40s at night, so alot of people were buying sweatshirts. And a family was sitting next to me, a mom and two kids. Then dad comes over with a brand new sweatshirt. And mom asks "Oh, you found it?" He said no that he got a new one. So, she went on to ask how much it cost and he told her it was free. So, she asked if they gave him a new one, and he told her no. With this and the other things he said I gathered that he stole it.

I have a problem with stealing in general, but this is just low. I understand that things are really expensive in Disney, an the sweatshirt probably cost $50 or $60, but is it really worth it? And to talk about it in front of your kids. It just makes me so mad. :mad:

dandaman

Maybe the wife would've flipped out upon hearing the real price. :shrug:

No obnoxious visitor stories to report from memory. Call that a blessing in disguise. :lol:

EDIT: Just read this:

Reading alot of these makes me embarassed to be a teenage girl. Though I think my sister and I were never that bad or annoying, maybe we were raised better.

I totally agree. It's really hard sometimes, to constantly be judged in the "obnoxious" category simply because of age.

Too often I also find myself the surrogate dad of any given group of my friends at a public place. "Guys, there's kids here. Watch the language." "Stop talking, people are trying to watch the movie." "Not exactly appropriate." "If you don't pipe down, I won't drive you home."

(Well, now that I've got the license I can do that, but you get the picture. :lol: )

Dagger

Sorry to any parents who use them but for me despite all the other great displays of rudeness that have been pointed out here, the worst is the "double-wide" stroller. I understand that you may have 2 kids, and you may even have 2 kids who can't walk through WDW on their own. This is perfectly understandable. But why does your stroller need to be two-abreast?

I myself have one that seats 2 but the seats are back to front (one child in front of the other) not across. The back to front stroller doesn't take up half the freaking sidewalk, and usually the people pushing these monstrosities are just moseying along, so not only are they taking up half the sidewalk, but then you can't get around them! Even worse is when the kids aren't even in the stroller and these creeps are just using this enormous bohemoth of a stroller as a glorified shopping cart to carry all their junk around in! *sigh* what is WRONG with people???

This is kind of funny to me because this is the option for a double stroller which is provided by Disney. Even their single stroller is pretty oversized. I prefer to rent their strollers than bring my own because it seems they are roomier and the child will be in there for a long period of time, after all.

daliseurat

I've had this happen too. Or people will plop in front of me with bunch of balloons. When I politlly request that they move the balloons so i might be able to see they make some excuse about why they can't. Terrible. I do realize that everyone deserves to have fun, and my need to document every little thing can be annoying, but, I do try my best to not block anyone elses view, or get in their way. I try to be unobtrusive.

Dagger

But the most important fact is to give everybody one chance to redeem themselves. A lot of people get oblivious at WDW - hard not to sometimes. They may not know they have done something rude to you (rude is a subjective term, recall). After that, it's open season.

I agree with this, and then some. I don't think we give people enough of a chance in this society anymore. The people that make the least concessions for others are usually the most obnoxious of people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom