NYT: "Universal....Takes Aim at Disney"

LocateJ

No sources, anonymous or otherwise regarding the Disney side of the article were presented.

I would think this quote in particular would need to be attributed, right?
I'm not a journalist, but facts do need to be attributed and verified, right?

It doesn't invalidate the articles main points, but it was more about Uni stepping up their game rather than Disney being concerned. Unattributable facts just detract from the good information about Uni presented there.

i think that can be read as having come from an anonymous source. or at least that's how i would have presented any anonymous information.

RSoxNo1

Universal will never be able to compete with Disney. They sure try though.

They've established that they can make killer attractions, especially thrill rides, however it's integrating all of the family components and nostalgia that will be very difficult to replicate.

lazyboy97o

For those who say Universal can never surpass Disney, it may not happen over night or even in the next few years, but history has shown there are plenty of big companies that have fallen from their once dominant position. This is often because they become comfortable in their place and stop moving forward, instead resting on what they have already accomplished and their known name and place in the industry. By the time they realize that things are changing, it is too late to stop the changes. Sounds far too much like Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando Resort for my liking.

WDWFigment

Radiator Springs Racers uses the Test Track ride system, but with some differences like the dual-track racing portion of the ride at the end.

But basically it's Test Track themed to Cars.

That's like saying "Indiana Jones Adventure is basically Dinosaur themed to Indiana Jones."

True in the most basic sense, but not in any way beyond that. As a champion of Disneyland, I thought you'd be the first to point this out!

lazyboy97o

That's like saying "Indiana Jones Adventure is basically Dinosaur themed to Indiana Jones."

True in the most basic sense, but not in any way beyond that. As a champion of Disneyland, I thought you'd be the first to point this out!
If Al Lutz reports that the dark ride portion is merely "cute" are accurate then that may well be an apt description. I think for most people the draw for the original Test Track was the high speed outdoor portion. That is what Lutz is reporting as the draw for Radiator Springs Racers, but apparently not as fast if that pre-visualization video that leaked a few months ago is to be believed.

WDWFigment

It's interesting they chose a headline photo of Cars Land, but then only interviewed Universal folks mainly about Universal Studios Hollywood.

No one from Disney was interviewed, although the Times' photographers were clearly let into Cars Land to get that shot of Radiator Springs Racers. What an interesting article that tried to set up a competition, but only had quotes from one team. :lookaroun

That's a stock photo by Disneyland's PR photographer. The NYT could have used that without speaking to anyone at TWDC.

WDWFigment

If Al Lutz reports that the dark ride portion is merely "cute" are accurate then that may well be an apt description. I think for most people the draw for the original Test Track was the high speed outdoor portion. That is what Lutz is reporting as the draw for Radiator Springs Racers, but apparently not as fast if that pre-visualization video that leaked a few months ago is to be believed.

Obviously, I have not seen the dark ride portions of the attraction. I have seen the mountain range (from other portions of the park, mind you) and photos--and even if the dark ride portion is only on par with Mermaid, it will still be light years ahead of Test Track due to its setting and the kinetic energy it will have. At least, for me.

GLaDOS

Obviously, I have not seen the dark ride portions of the attraction. I have seen the mountain range (from other portions of the park, mind you) and photos--and even if the dark ride portion is only on par with Mermaid, it will still be light years ahead of Test Track due to its setting and the kinetic energy it will have. At least, for me.

I agree. Although I do love the look of TRON Track...

Future

One thing that universal or any other theme park will never touch is the detail and care that goes into each ride and land. You barley even notice when you go from land to land in Magic Kingdom. From music to architechture it's something that is unlike any where else. Cast members are always gonig to be there cause they love their job. I am friends with a bunch and they love their job and it shows when the guest come to the parks. From what I heard not many people enjoy their universal job besides the ablity to get into the city walk with discounts.

Besides that I think people are forgeting the new snow white roller coaster that will be coming out in a year. New Fantasyland is getting a roller coaster. While it may not be an everest which I'd say would rival the hulk, I think that it's got new innovative features to it that will add to the excitement.

All in all though I don't think disney is endanger of losing its title cause disney will always be the parks for families, and memories. No matter the rides or random assortment of movies that Universal throws together they won't be able to take that from disney. It's the magic, innovation, and memories that keeps families coming back. I went there when I was younger and I'm 23 now and while I'm no where near thinking about starting a family I do intend on taking my family to WDW to keep making more and more memories with there.

On top of that which other park honestly offers you the chance to go run around the parks for three days then jump straight onto a curise ship with a very small amount of hassel?

On an extra side note, typically the imagineers and otehr cast members that start to work fro universal are typically the ones who fall through the cracks. Plus I don't see where it said anything about this guy being an ex-Imagineer. He could've worked for disney as a custodial cast member for a summer and can claim to be a former cast member. As for his qoute rides are a small portion of a theme park.

goalman43

One thing that universal or any other theme park will never touch is the detail and care that goes into each ride and land. You barley even notice when you go from land to land in Magic Kingdom. From music to architechture it's something that is unlike any where else. Cast members are always gonig to be there cause they love their job. I am friends with a bunch and they love their job and it shows when the guest come to the parks. From what I heard not many people enjoy their universal job besides the ablity to get into the city walk with discounts.

Besides that I think people are forgeting the new snow white roller coaster that will be coming out in a year. New Fantasyland is getting a roller coaster. While it may not be an everest which I'd say would rival the hulk, I think that it's got new innovative features to it that will add to the excitement.

All in all though I don't think disney is endanger of losing its title cause disney will always be the parks for families, and memories. No matter the rides or random assortment of movies that Universal throws together they won't be able to take that from disney. It's the magic, innovation, and memories that keeps families coming back. I went there when I was younger and I'm 23 now and while I'm no where near thinking about starting a family I do intend on taking my family to WDW to keep making more and more memories with there.

On top of that which other park honestly offers you the chance to go run around the parks for three days then jump straight onto a curise ship with a very small amount of hassel?

On an extra side note, typically the imagineers and otehr cast members that start to work fro universal are typically the ones who fall through the cracks. Plus I don't see where it said anything about this guy being an ex-Imagineer. He could've worked for disney as a custodial cast member for a summer and can claim to be a former cast member. As for his qoute rides are a small portion of a theme park.

here here. totally agree. increased pressure an attendance at uni, can only lead to disney upping the ante and creating an developing better things for us.

goalman43

here here. totally agree. increased pressure and attendance at uni, can only lead to disney upping the ante and creating and developing better things for us.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
here here. totally agree. increased pressure an attendance at uni, can only lead to disney upping the ante and creating an developing better things for us.

Sadly they gave up on that idea about 36 months ago.

Now they are slowly and quietly switching to panic and limitation. Which could be good for everyone, but not as good as it should have been.

Whilst Uni will still keep aiming as high as possible.

The Empress Lilly

[Youtube]OV0MIEKF0Zw[/Youtube]

Welcome!

Yes, I agree that WDW wins by an enormous margin by virtue of 'magic, memories and you'. One grows emotionally attached to WDW in a way one simply does not do to other places, at least not theme parks.

Sadly, Disney realises this and so has concentrated on squeezing WDW out like a lemon, squeezing ever tighter for every last drop.
Then suddenly, Uni and guests discovered that Uni actually does many things better than Disney. While Uni is still no contender for the crown, it has been shown that Disney is neither invulnerable, nor enjoys a herditary birthright to its customers. There may be a tipping point, caused by an erosion of customer loyalty.

If WDW behaves like it's just a theme park, treats its guests like lemons, sells them Rizzo for a Mouse, then at some point a guest may realise that the other park down the road may be just a Rizzo, but then so is his beloved Mouse. And not his self-explanatory, eternal magic place.

WDW1974

Have they cleaned up the Peter Pan's Flight queue yet?

Yep. That attraction looks great ... and I loved having a VIP FP one day (thanks to the kindness of a special friend:wave:) so we never had to wait to ride it (or any other FP attraction in both parks).

But other attractions looked bad ... the worst was, as I've said, IASW and SM ... both of which were in horrendous shape. I was depressed after riding both and only took one ride on them.

Others like the Molly Brown steamer, BTMRR, the Nautilus walk-thru and Adventure Isle (all of which had recent rehabs) looked great ... others like PoC had a few issues but were generally fine.

WDW1974

They've established that they can make killer attractions, especially thrill rides, however it's integrating all of the family components and nostalgia that will be very difficult to replicate.

Its hard to fault Universal for that when family and nostalgia was never their goal all along.

Exactly.

Worse ... actually much worse and a killer to us long-time fans is the fact Disney's nostalgia pull is now self-reverential.

It's why you have retro merchandise ... and the return of ancient parades ... and the altars to an obscure nothing of a character like the Orange Bird ... and certainly why you have D23, so Disney can show you all the ways why it became great (and if fans put the pixie dust pipe down for a second and thought they'd realize it also showcases just how far Disney has fallen).

It's all playing on emotion. You had great times there once so come back. Now you have kids, you must bring them here (and buy DVC) as it's a rite of passage. It's convincing adults looking for the childhoods that never were and never will be that it's OK to be in permanent states of arrested development because there are others.

In essence, Disney is playing us all to some degree. We determine to what extent. I never minded being manipulated when they were offering the best product and guest service in themed entertainment. Now, I find it smarmy and disengenuous and ... at times ... flat out disgusting.

UNI doesn't have any of those emotional ties (for the most part) so it just tries to put out the best product it can. And there's very little to argue that UNI's attractions since the late 1990s have consistently been of a higher caliber than Disney's in O-Town. And they don't have to manipulate with Wishes and Dreams and MAGIC ... not to mention Pixie Dust and meaningless phrases like 'have a MAGICal day' ... and 'Welcome Home' to make people have fun.

WDW1974

For those who say Universal can never surpass Disney, it may not happen over night or even in the next few years, but history has shown there are plenty of big companies that have fallen from their once dominant position. This is often because they become comfortable in their place and stop moving forward, instead resting on what they have already accomplished and their known name and place in the industry. By the time they realize that things are changing, it is too late to stop the changes. Sounds far too much like Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando Resort for my liking.

The last few decades are littered with great names that no longer exist or are shells of what they once were.

The idea that Disney is somehow immune to this is patently ridiculous.

You can go from industry leader to the trash bin of history a lot faster than many fanbois would like to contemplate. But they should everytime they support management taking the REAL MAGIC away in a focus on the bottom line (as I type this a Harry Potter commercial just ran on my local CBS affiliate!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom