NYT: "Universal....Takes Aim at Disney"

jakeman

No sources, anonymous or otherwise regarding the Disney side of the article were presented.

I would think this quote in particular would need to be attributed, right?
Disney is privately concerned about preventing market share erosion on both coasts.
I'm not a journalist, but facts do need to be attributed and verified, right?

It doesn't invalidate the articles main points, but it was more about Uni stepping up their game rather than Disney being concerned. Unattributable facts just detract from the good information about Uni presented there.

I_heart_Tigger

Interesting. Personally I am looking forward to the Transformers ride at Universal. Not a huge fan of the movies but the ride sounds like Spider-man on a bigger scale and I do enjoy the Spider-man ride.

The only reason for me to look forward to Avatar stuff at Disney is it should take a lot of people away from other attractions. So far I haven't heard a lot about Avatarland but I was not interested in the movie. I tried to watch it once and got so bored I actually fell asleep. :snore:

It's the same old stuff all the time. Their both trying to keep up with the Jones'. In most cases I think Disney has the attractions I want but it's mostly the older attractions I enjoy and the themeing of each land. For the newer attractions - I think Universal gives me a little more excitement.

It was enough of a draw that on my 10 day trip last month I cut 4 days off my Disney vacation to spend at Universal/Sea World instead. Though honestly right now I can do everything I want at Universal (both parks) in two days. They would have to really expand a lot to come close to Disney for me but some newer attractions may take a bit of my $$$ from Disney and send it to Universal at least every 2nd year.

BTW you can see the house for the Despicable Me attraction being built now.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Interesting. Personally I am looking forward to the Transformers ride at Universal. Not a huge fan of the movies but the ride sounds like Spider-man on a bigger scale and I do enjoy the Spider-man ride.

The only reason for me to look forward to Avatar stuff at Disney is it should take a lot of people away from other attractions. So far I haven't heard a lot about Avatarland but I was not interested in the movie. I tried to watch it once and got so bored I actually fell asleep. :snore:

It's the same old stuff all the time. Their both trying to keep up with the Jones'. In most cases I think Disney has the attractions I want but it's mostly the older attractions I enjoy and the themeing of each land. For the newer attractions - I think Universal gives me a little more excitement.

It was enough of a draw that on my 10 day trip last month I cut 4 days off my Disney vacation to spend at Universal/Sea World instead. Though honestly right now I can do everything I want at Universal (both parks) in two days. They would have to really expand a lot to come close to Disney for me but some newer attractions may take a bit of my $$$ from Disney and send it to Universal at least every 2nd year.

Nice well written article in the newspaper of record. Good for Universal, people should be aware of the steps forward they have taken.

I agree completely. Disney still does it for me, there is a laundry list of attractions I love there, and the all encompassing theming really makes a difference for me.

But Uni has me more excited with their new offerings then anything Disney has done in the past decade or so. Not to mention CityWalks absolute stomping of DTD. Now, no trip to Orlando is complete for me without taking a couple days and Uni. And up until a few years ago, that was NEVER the case.

Captain Chaos

BTW you can see the house for the Despicable Me attraction being built now.

Gru's house is 100% complete... Walls are down... thing is close to opening... That picture is OOOOOOOOLD... :)

I_heart_Tigger

Now, no trip to Orlando is complete for me without taking a couple days and Uni. And up until a few years ago, that was NEVER the case.

I know a lot of people (myself included) who feel the same way. If Universal is getting 2-3 days worth of $$$ from even every 20th family that used to spend all their time at Disney - we could be talking major dollars there.

My stay included checking out of my Disney hotel - moving to the Hard Rock for 4 nights and getting 3 day park passes. Add that up including meals and souvenirs and Universal probably got $3500 from my little group of friends that would have normally gone to Disney.

Texas84

That article kind of confirms what I always thought about Disney vs. Universal: One is about fun, the other tries to scare the pants off of you. I realize that appeals to a lot of people, but not me.

C.FERNIE

it is a good article thanks for posting! i thought disney said it was going to spend any more money on its parks for the foreseable future? i mean after avatar land??/ thought i read that somewhere, think it may have been at a shareholders meeting???? anyways think this is good news for wdw! :wave:

I_heart_Tigger

That article kind of confirms what I always thought about Disney vs. Universal: One is about fun, the other tries to scare the pants off of you. I realize that appeals to a lot of people, but not me.

That's so funny. I have a friend who is in Florida right now (vacation home) and planning to do one or two days in a park. She said that the "locals" told her that Florida has two theme parks - one is fun and the other is for little kids who want to be pirates or princesses.

I'm trying to talk some sense into her :lol:

Skip

Let the arms race begin. Your move, Disney - this can only be good for both resorts, so I don't see why anyone is complaining.

DisneyJoe

No sources, anonymous or otherwise regarding the Disney side of the article were presented.

I would think this quote in particular would need to be attributed, right?
I'm not a journalist, but facts do need to be attributed and verified, right?

Depends on who you work for...

sgtmgd

I will generally set one day aside to visit Islands of Adventures while at my stay in Disney. Islands of adventures is a nice change of pace as it is more Thrill ride oriented. The Hulk Roller Coaster, Dueling Dragon Rollar Coaster have no real equal at Disney. The ROck-n-Rollar coaster is great..but doesnt have the punch these other two do. Im not sure I need to spend 2-3 days there...two if you do both Universal parks..City Walk is also a nice change of Pace as they have a Margarittaville and Emerils right there...

HenryMystic

Silly me. I had fun at both. Guess I was doing it wrong.

GLaDOS

(Rooting for Theme Park Wars)

Me as well. Being able to ride Transformers and Radiator Springs Racers in the summer will be a treat. And then Antarctica/WWoHP 2.0/Fantasyland Expansion all coming by 2014? Awesome. Keep it coming!

phi2134

Is it me or does Universal just specialize in a very specific type of dark ride and doesn't have too much to offer besides that. Both spider man and transformers use the exact same dark effects and type of ride, potter's dark ride is a little different, but what they seem to try to draw people in is with this one type of ride. All of their other rides such as Jurassic park, coasters and what not are definitely getting older.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom