NYT: "Universal....Takes Aim at Disney"

HamFam

I think it's fantastic that Comcast has decided to keep funneling money into the Universal parks in Orlando, as many have said before, competition is sometimes the best way to get the best out of Disney. Since The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, we're getting an exciting Fantasyland expansion and the upcoming "Avatarland" to look forward to, not to mention the next two phases of Harry Potter. When you add to that the fact that Disney keeps raising AP rates, it will be nice to have alternatives if I get priced out.

What I don't understand is that for all this Universal love, at the moment in Orlando, it's mainly just for IOA. I'm a Disney AP, but I go to Universal every other year with elementary school patrols, and this year to be honest it was pretty disappointing. My little ones had the pleasure of enjoying Woody Woodpecker's Fun Zone (You see kids, when daddy was little, there was a character on tv called Woody Woodpecker . . .), where they got to play in Feivel's Playground (Kids, there was a very short period of time with a character named Feivel - you know what, just go play.) Then we saw the Barney show (It's just a purple dinosaur - listen - we're indoors in June. Let's just celebrate that!) Thank goodness for the timeless Curious George! The attractions themselves in the area are great, it's just funny how outdated the characters are.

With the removal of the Jaws attraction , it seems so strange when you walk through Amity Island and there's no Jaws! It's like - nothing to see her folks - just keep walking through please!

There's a few decent staples - MIB, Mummy, Rip, Ride, Rockit, ET, but until Harry gets there, is anyone excited about Universal Studios Orlando?

On the bright side, there's very few poeple there so the lines aren't an issue!

HenryMystic

There's a few decent staples - MIB, Mummy, Rip, Ride, Rockit, ET, but until Harry gets there, is anyone excited about Universal Studios Orlando?

Yes, I'm excited to see construction projects, Despicable Me, Horror Nights, and Cinematic Spectacular

Captain Chaos

I think it's fantastic that Comcast has decided to keep funneling money into the Universal parks in Orlando, as many have said before, competition is sometimes the best way to get the best out of Disney. Since The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, we're getting an exciting Fantasyland expansion and the upcoming "Avatarland" to look forward to, not to mention the next two phases of Harry Potter. When you add to that the fact that Disney keeps raising AP rates, it will be nice to have alternatives if I get priced out.

What I don't understand is that for all this Universal love, at the moment in Orlando, it's mainly just for IOA. I'm a Disney AP, but I go to Universal every other year with elementary school patrols, and this year to be honest it was pretty disappointing. My little ones had the pleasure of enjoying Woody Woodpecker's Fun Zone (You see kids, when daddy was little, there was a character on tv called Woody Woodpecker . . .), where they got to play in Feivel's Playground (Kids, there was a very short period of time with a character named Feivel - you know what, just go play.) Then we saw the Barney show (It's just a purple dinosaur - listen - we're indoors in June. Let's just celebrate that!) Thank goodness for the timeless Curious George! The attractions themselves in the area are great, it's just funny how outdated the characters are.

With the removal of the Jaws attraction , it seems so strange when you walk through Amity Island and there's no Jaws! It's like - nothing to see her folks - just keep walking through please!

In case you missed it, Potter's e-ticket attraction will blow Jaws out of the water and SS44 looks more likely to be Transformers... So that is 2 huge e-tickets into Universal... KidZone is scheduled to be refurbished after Potter... Despicable Me just opened, a new parade started and a new wonderful night time show opened... Universal Studios is getting tons of love...

71jason

I see what you did there. Now I'm going to go watch Elliot in the Main Stree...err Disney Electrical Parade (they changed the name so you can tell it's not 1977), then maybe hike through the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse and take a ride past the Song of the South characters on Splash Mountain. Too bad it's not a month and a half ago, or I could go play that Kim Possible game that debuted after the show had been cancelled.

HamFam

In case you missed it, Potter's e-ticket attraction will blow Jaws out of the water and SS44 looks more likely to be Transformers... So that is 2 huge e-tickets into Universal... KidZone is scheduled to be refurbished after Potter... Despicable Me just opened, a new parade started and a new wonderful night time show opened... Universal Studios is getting tons of love...

Just pointing out that on that day, Universal was a half day park at best. I'm well aware of the new things coming, but just like "Avatarland", it's not enjoyable until it's all in place, right?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Seriously? Millions are excited.

That's like saying aside from Soarin' and Mission Space who likes Epcot?

HamFam

I see what you did there. Now I'm going to go watch Elliot in the Main Stree...err Disney Electrical Parade (they changed the name so you can tell it's not 1977), then maybe hike through the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse and take a ride past the Song of the South characters on Splash Mountain. Too bad it's not a month and a half ago, or I could go play that Kim Possible game that debuted after the show had been cancelled.

Apples and oranges. You can't really compare attractions with nostalgic/ historical significance to Feivel, Woody, and Barney, Can you? I guess you can!

You basically make my point with that kim possible reference. You're right that the character was no longer relevant and now it's not there anymore.

HamFam

Seriously? Millions are excited.

That's like saying aside from Soarin' and Mission Space who likes Epcot?

About 5 million more people each year. Bringing Disney into the equation doesn't help all that much, and again, I was talking about a snapshot in the beginning of june.

I'm glad you enjoy Universal! Please keep going!

GLaDOS

That 5 million is set to balloon over the next 2 and 1/2 years. USF and IoA will be forces not to be reckoned with very, very soon.

TarzanRocked99-

They are so self rightious that they probably care less afterall the biggest pixie dust sniffers come from within.

I am more interested in if Burbank will decide to respond, because TDO certainly will not

Captain Chaos

Just pointing out that on that day, Universal was a half day park at best. I'm well aware of the new things coming, but just like "Avatarland", it's not enjoyable until it's all in place, right?

Well I have enjoyed Universal even without the new stuff they are adding... I was there last year before any of the growth started and the place was fun... It is only going to get better... :)

bubbles1812

They are so self rightious that they probably care less afterall the biggest pixie dust sniffers come from within.

I am more interested in if Burbank will decide to respond, because TDO certainly will not

Burbank will start pushing for change only when Uni/other orlando area parks start drawing enough that it substantially starts hurting disney's bottom line. It already has a some...Uni's market share is going up with no signs of stopping but I don't think it's big enough yet to force action on the part of Burbank yet...though knowing them, they may wait until its too late to recapture all the market share they are probably going to lose. I definitely think it'll get to that point though and probably sooner than later (hopefully) of Uni continues to grow at the rate it is. Which is why I say onward and upward Universal! :)

lazyboy97o

About 5 million more people each year. Bringing Disney into the equation doesn't help all that much, and again, I was talking about a snapshot in the beginning of june.

I'm glad you enjoy Universal! Please keep going!
Attendance is not the only factor nor the biggest. Guests are spending bucket loads of money at Universal Orlando Resort that Disney long gave up trying to capture, thinking that their lower guest spending was the new normal. Do you want lots of people who spend [relatively] a little or less people who spend a lot?

ParentsOf4

Burbank will start pushing for change only when Uni/other orlando area parks start drawing enough that it substantially starts hurting disney's bottom line. It already has a some...Uni's market share is going up with no signs of stopping but I don't think it's big enough yet to force action on the part of Burbank yet...though knowing them, they may wait until its too late to recapture all the market share they are probably going to lose. I definitely think it'll get to that point though and probably sooner than later (hopefully) of Uni continues to grow at the rate it is. Which is why I say onward and upward Universal! :)
I understand what you're saying but am unsure about the "It already has a some...Uni's market share is going up with no signs of stopping ..." remark. IOA attendance jumped; there's no doubt that WWOHP was a huge hit for UO. I recall reading that attendance increased by 30%. Is it going to jump another 30% this year and next year? I don't see how.

I'm a UO AP holder but suspect attendance would eventually level off or even decline slightly without HP2 and other new attractions at UO. No matter how highly you think of WWOHP and FJ, they are only one land/attraction. You can visit them only so many times. I wonder how 2012/2013 attendance will be at UO compared to the post-HP 2010/2011 numbers. I speculate that a lot of people were excited when WWOHP opened and jumped at the chance to see it during its first 12-to-18 months. Is that enthusiasm going to carry through to 2012 and 2013? I just don't see how. I'm not saying that attendance will suddenly drop, just that it won't increase another 30%. UO should get another bump from HP2 but then how long will that bump last? I have no idea.

Has WDW been hurt by WWOHP? I suspect some people took 1 or 2 days out of their usual WDW vacations to visit UO. These people's changed vacation habits would hurt WDW attendance. Conversely, some people have headed to Orlando explicitly to see WWOHP, then added a few days at WDW in to complete a (typically American) week-long vacation in Orlando. The net effect on WDW's bottom line is probably negligible. If I correctly recall, WDW attendance has remained relatively flat over the last year years, it did not decline when WWOHP opened.

I really like UO and, as already mentioned, am a UO AP holder. However, I don't view Universal as more than a 1 or 2 day trip for most Orlando vacationers. HP2 and a few more headliner attractions might turn it into a 3-day trip. It siphons off more people from WDW but encourages more people to come to Orlando, spend 2 or 3 days at Universal, and then fill out the remainder of their week-long vacations elsewhere, mostly at WDW.

Sorry if the above post is rambling but my basic point is that UO adding more attractions won't significantly hurt WDW's bottom line until Orlando visitors are able to spend a week-long vacation at UO, until vacationers are forced to choose between UO and WDW. As UO adds more attractions, UO is the primary beneficiary but the rest of Orlando (mostly WDW) benefits as well.

GLaDOS

Universal's attendance will be up again for 2012. No, not 20%. But it will be up. And Universal and Comcast know they have work to do in order to keep people coming back. They have a plan, they know what they're doing, and all will become clear sooner rather than later.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom