Numbers, Cars and Quality ...

EOD K9

C
If you keep talking like that you'll have to turn in your official fanbois credentials.
It has nothing to do with being a fanboi....I just don't jump to conclusions. I look at evidence first. And just once, can I read ANY thread without the word fanboi thrown around??

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
C

It has nothing to do with being a fanboi....I just don't jump to conclusions. I look at evidence first. And just once, can I read ANY thread without the word fanboi thrown around??
Good luck with that on a Disney Fan Site.

kittybubbles

I can hear the comments now after they run the commercial in Florida that shows the DCA version...'it looks so much better on TV than it does in person!?!'

Captain Chaos

I can hear the comments now after they run the commercial in Florida that shows the DCA version...'it looks so much better on TV than it does in person!?!'
Same with the planning video:

SON: Mommy, look, Radiator Springs is in WDW
MOM: Look hun, the amazing rock work, looks so real
DAD: Yes it does. Can't wait to see it.
SON: Yippieeee I'm going to visit the real Radiator Springs!!!!!!

Six Months Later

MOM: Um, hun, where is all that wonderful rock work we saw from the video
DAD: Oh you know, the video makes things look so much better, with computer graphics and such.
MOM: Yes, you are right...
SON: I WANNA SEE RADIATOR SPRINGS FROM THE VIDEO!!!! ***screams and cries in his stroller***

On ride:

**loud crash**

MOM: What was that?
DAD: A piece of card board designed to look like a rock fell on my head. I'm bleeding, and I am feeling light headed. I think I may pass out.
MOM: Who cares, it is DISNEY LAND WORLD!!!!!!!

EOD K9

Same with the planning video:

MOM: What was that?
DAD: A piece of card board designed to look like a rock fell on my head. I'm bleeding, and I am feeling light headed. I think I may pass out.
MOM: Who cares, it is DISNEY LAND WORLD!!!!!!!

DAD: Not to worry, its cardboard blood. The imagineers thought of everything!!

gonnichi

If this comes to pass and all we get is the cardboard cutouts I am done with WDW. Disneyland and Universal Orlando are my new homes away from home. I cant take it anymore. When WDW first opened in 1971 it was the place to experience amazing new technology. It was the futuristic way of how families would vacation. Fast monorails, amazing futuristic hotel, a water bridge, Under ground city (utilador). It was built to impress the guests and make everything special. Alot of money was spent on it and it was a very special place to vist. It was a great success, it made alot of money. Now all we get are cheep cut outs, I cant believe what WDW has become.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Before I wade back into this thread, I did want to clarify/correct something I said in Post Numero Uno (the only post I have here thus far) ... and that is regarding DCA's numbers.

If DCA is to become a Top 5 in the world park, it will have to leapfrog both DLP and EPCOT, which is possible but not likely because I somehow forgot to include TDL in the Top 3 (posting at 3:30 a.m. might factor into that).

I also want to make it clear that whatever the numbers (and passing WDW's 3rd and 4th gates is a given at this point) wind up being that DCA 2.0 is succeeding beyond anyone's wildest expectations and likely why the Iron Man attraction is getting fast-tracked for DL. ... Now ... only seven pages of posts to read!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Hmm so who would be doing the design of the third park?

The OLC is looking at doing the work itself. Inhouse design, which likely would include ex-WDI and ex-UNI etc folks who are out there. But that's just the early word.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Considering that the EuroDisney SCA annual reports talks about record attendance at their resort (and from my experience the parks there were very crowded on all my visits this year), I consider it rather unlikely that it will manage to pass DLP.

I think it is unlikely as well ...

I could see it being something like:
1.) MK (just because it always is ... );
2.) DL;
3.) TDL;
4.) DLP;
5.) EPCOT;
6.) DCA;
7.) TDS;
8.) DAK;

But I'm not a numbers guy, myself!

WDW1974

Original Poster
How else would you know that you're experiencing the Magic of a Real, Working studio?

Disney loves building Studios parks because they allow you to build them half-assed and say 'that's part of the show' ... there's a reason why Disney-MGM Studios Europe was planned before Euro Disney opened and why DSP eventually got built as an even cheaper, less inspired movies park.

And Disney pushed the OLC bigtime to build a Disney-MGM there as well (someone might ask Eddie Sotto about that as he likely knows something), but they wanted something original, so we got TDS thankfully!

WDW1974

Original Poster
If yall want WDW to change you need to start voting with your wallets. Stop going to the resort, tell your friends and families to visit universal or Disneyland instead, spread the word on facebook and social media, send letters to Iger. It's a group effort and takes commitment but thats how things get done in this country.

To stop going hurts no one but yourself and your family as Disney can simply replace you with some rube who doesn't know better ... it isn't the answer.

I do agree with you about social media, though. I think it can be turned into a force for change against WDW's current direction. It just hasn't happened yet.

The reason DLR looks as great as it does now can be traced to the tremendous negative attention the resort and its execs got in the early days of the online Disney fan community back in the 1990s and on into the 00s.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, all that fancy rock work which has Disney fans drooling and clamoring for Cars Land to come to WDW will be replaced by giant card board cut outs? If this wasn't so sad, it would be funny... No, cross that out, it is pathetic... Just when we thought TDO may be turning a corner, they go into same old, same old mode...

The problem with TDO and WDW Co. is that it doesn't know how to operate any differently than this because it has been doing so since the rise of the MBAs and consultants in the mid-90s. WDW's decline really started about the time they were deciding on painting the castle pink.

Until you change management and mindset, nothing substantial changes.

Does anyone think the nice, but not groundbreaking or bar raising or substanial, FLE is going to be an attendance driver going forward? Anyone at all?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Truth.

TDO was initially pitched the full version.
They said "Yes, we need that! But..."
Then the trimming started. Slice out one attraction....cut out the dining..."value engineer" the rock work...

Pretty soon it'll be painted flats and one of these bad boys:
IMG_8844.JPG

I HATE to give your posts 'likes', No. 2 ... because I feel you are too stingy with the 'like' button and you make some of us cry by not 'liking' what we write.

That said, I LOVE the above and nominate it for Best MAGICal Post of The Week By a Hillbilly!

WDW1974

Original Poster
That's how I hear it. Adios Flo's.
'74 may know more.

He may ... he knows a lot ... about a lot.

I don't think Flo's made it past the first look-see. I'm not even sure how WDW Food and Beverage would recreate it.
One of the wonders of DLR is that they have far fewer full serve restaurants and fewer traditional QSRs too. They have what is often termed 'buffeteria' (I hate that term because I equate it with vomit for some reason) service and Flo's is a great example.

You order and get your food at a counter, but it is served on real china with real silverware and there are folks to bus the tables. The food is also of a much higher caliber than typical fast food. Had a great turkey dinner at Flo's in september (guess, I knew my Turkey Day meals would be beef!) But I am starting a thread drift.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Our Spirited pal did say it would get much worse before it got better, so hang on to your hat because I feel we're about to crest a pretty big hill (especially early 2013 when the RFID gremlins are let loose).

I am positive right now about the direction of much of TWDC and much of P&R. WDW is improving in some micro areas.

I think it really is only a matter of time before things get drastically improved if only because Disney will simply have no choice. The Exec 'Leadership' Team still thinks it knows all and that FLE, Pandora, DDP, DVC and NEXT GEN are all they need to compete ... and they're going to get a nasty wakeup call. The question then will be whether they can fast track projects in FL the way UNI can or they are going to attempt in Anaheim.

flynnibus

Premium Member
@WDW1974 - are these alternate versions of RSR as an attempt to try to bring the entire racers experience indoors?

Sounds like an attempt to replace the grand vista with an indoor experience with sets that you can only see driving by at 25mph..

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just want to add even OLC knows you can't cheap out when there is a vision built into plans, so I doubt you'll get cardboard flats - if anything it'll be like DCA's version or better!

OLC knows quality, they know what their paying customer expects from them, and they give their guests value for their money. The full opposite of our friends in Orlando. It's unreal.

Yes. I can guarantee that the Carsland in Tokyo will be plussed well beyond what already amazed in Anaheim.
I can't see Luigi's making the trans-pacific journey for example.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom